• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "For my Father" - Lucina Social Thread

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
DB is mostly a very specific punishment move. If your opponent does something laggy and is pretty far (outside of your tilts' range), that's the best moment to use it.
It's also a Close Combat move, but not nearly as reliable as grab, or DS to burst out of the pressure.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@Warr I moved your thread to our social thread. Now as to my reply:

This conversation has occurred a lot on this boards. Be it as individual threads or inside others. The data is there. Primarily if you want to know their differences:
http://smashboards.com/threads/before-you-ask-the-differences-between-marth-and-lucina.376180/

Let's go on to your points.
Warr said:
It requires constant spacing of you and your opponent, otherwise you are landing weaker hits and them, leaving a shorter lag time for them to land a quick grab or tilt attack. This mostly comes up with arial attacks, however it does come up time to time on the land as well.
This "weaker hits" called sour-spots have a hit-lag of 0.7x while tippers have in general 1.25x unless it's a smash attack where they are 1.5x. Lucina on the other hand has 1.0x throughout her blade. In short, due to their less damage/knockback, Marth is able to string or combo attacks better in certain situations when compared to Lucina. Additionally, the 0.7x hitlag modifier on sour-spots also makes Marth safer in certain situations as well. So actually, it's the other way around from the point you are trying to make here. If you however make the case with tippers then yes, Lucina would have a safer scenario when compared to a tipper attack that was shielded. However, if it were a smash attack they would both get punished regardless.

Every point made after that can be generalized as everything Lucina can do Marth can do too. The F-Smash though, Lucina's is crazy good.

Warr said:
Absolutely not. They are not the same character, they may be clones in moveset, however they both have entirely different play styles, for different kinds of players. I am merely showing where Marth does not do as well as Lucina.
No. Recall the hitlag. Since Marth's sourspots are 0.7x he would actually be safer in an "aggressive" playstyle. More so than Lucina. However, neither of them benefit at all from that style. They would both be punished quite easily.

Both characters rely on reaction and correct spacing. They both want to be at full length of their swords.

If you'd like, and I welcome everyone to do this, read and/or learn the frame data threads. The mathematics there, and of course for every character, gives you the complete picture as to what they can and can't do, what their optimal playstyle's are, as well as other things. I'll finish with the point I always make:

Due to Marth's sword mechanics: Everything I consider when playing as Lucina, I consider with Marth. On the other hand, Marth allows me to do more and consider more options than what I can do with Lucina.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
DB is mostly a very specific punishment move. If your opponent does something laggy and is pretty far (outside of your tilts' range), that's the best moment to use it.
It's also a Close Combat move, but not nearly as reliable as grab, or DS to burst out of the pressure.
So basically use DB when your out of tilt range? I just recently picked her up, I'm still learning with her. Is it normally for DB to come out slowly?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Or as an alternative to your tilts. All within your punish mixups and/or maximization.
You can go for DB1 (maybe 2), wait for a defensive reaction (likely, an airdodge) and extend the punishment further.

And yes, it's not as fast as one would desire, and that's why grab is essentially better in CQ, but the damage output is decent.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
So basically use DB when your out of tilt range? I just recently picked her up, I'm still learning with her. Is it normally for DB to come out slowly?
DB's speed depends on your timing. However, you're more likely to either miss if you mash through the combo (especially at higher percentages!), or mess up and lose the opportunity to continue DB.

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
Fanart dump time!

We have short haired Lucina...

Lucina with cute things

Lucina with flowers

And finally, making fun of Chrom...

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Looking through Dantarion's changelog.

Lucina
Move | Damage Prev | Current Damage | Notes
U-tilt (early)| 6.65~ | 7.59~ | All hitboxes
U-tilt (late) | 7.125 | 8.0749~ | All hitboxes
N-air (first)| 2.375 | 3.325~ | All hitboxes
N-air (second) | 6.65 | 7.59~ | All hitboxes
I have a good background in brawl modding so I can read the code to some degree, here's the changes that are on Dantarion's mastercore. Just giving general stuff, nothing specific until I get more time.

The quoted table has all her changes listed, except for the dancing blade ones.

I BELIEVE that the dancing blade changes (the timers) means that there's more time to input the attack. But I haven't updated yet and I can't check myself, so it's just conjecture.

You guys can choose to believe me or not, but I implore you guys to check out my background in brawl coding both on Smashboards and KCMM.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I have a good background in brawl modding so I can read the code to some degree, here's the changes that are on Dantarion's mastercore. Just giving general stuff, nothing specific until I get more time.

The quoted table has all her changes listed, except for the dancing blade ones.

I BELIEVE that the dancing blade changes (the timers) means that there's more time to input the attack. But I haven't updated yet and I can't check myself, so it's just conjecture.
Yep, I noticed them too but I'm still unsure what they mean entirely as well.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Daaaamn Lucina's buffs feel good. The changes are relatively minute, but in effect, it makes for a decidedly non-trivial experience.

I've decided to practice custom Lucina, too. Gotta say, I'm impressed. I'm definitely gonna play her more often, she's a very useful pocket to have~

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
I dropped Lucina as my main and made her my pocket but if these buffs are as good as they sound I might pick her back up again.

I feel like a traitor though cause I still love her but I was struggling to improve with her as much as I'd have liked. :(

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
She still is unable to compete against higher tiers imo. These changes are so minimal for her.

Murrayy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Murray97
Yeah these changes really don't do much at all but she is slowly getting buffed every patch. I also believe its the first time she has got a change that Marth hasn't? Which is a good sign hopefully.

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
Yeah these changes really don't do much at all but she is slowly getting buffed every patch. I also believe its the first time she has got a change that Marth hasn't? Which is a good sign hopefully.
It seems like every path she gets like a 10-15% buff to dmg on various moves. Eventually she'll be doing so much dmg her inability to combo won't really matter too much.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, a healthy dose of realism is in order here. She won't suddenly invalidate top-tiers over the course of an update patch.

A buff is still a buff. I doubt she's anything beyond upper mid-tier at the most (I think Marth is upper mid / lower high, yet I'll hold that thought for another debate entirely), but she feels more comfortable to play. That's the most important thing to me right now. It feels good to play her.

At the end of the day, I, personally, would rather get bodied with a character I can have fun with than win with a fighter that makes me miserable. If I can push myself to do well with my favourite characters, so much the better~

Gokart48

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gokart48
I'm just happy that some of her lag times were slightly reduced on her moves. Forget the buffs, it makes her feel less clunky.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
Hello everyone, I just want to say I freaking love Lucina! I barley picked her up today and shes amazing. She has something special about her and so good if you play her right, i'm not the best but yeah. x) she's definitley my new main/secondary

Last edited:

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
Hello everyone, I just want to say I freaking love Lucina! I barley picked her up today and shes amazing. She has something special about her and so good if you play her right, i'm not the best but yeah. x) she's definitley my new main/secondary
Welcome!

Here, have Lucina with a Picachu

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Sakurai pls give Lucina some loving and buff her independently from Marth. I don't want people to continuously harass me over using a worse character haha. (Like that weird thing about how she does more damage from hits behind her)

Buffs tho, moar, moar, moar! I need...

Don't make me take my pocket Fashion Model Samus seriously Sakurai.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
We just had a successful character "crew swiss" style tournament with the pikachus, and guess what, guys! WE WON! Woot!

Click here to view the tournament details page.

Because this was a test run of a new tournament format, there was no easy challonge equivalent to run the tournament with, so uhh...Google spreadsheets ftw. x.x I couldn't advertise openly on the forums because the sign-ups used Google forms and I didn't feel like deleting all the garbage data it'd likely pick up being openly posted like that. I'm going to try and figure out a better solution, and hopefully we'll be able to challenge another character at some point.

Grand Finals (Marth represented us here, but there were Lucinas competing well in the tournament):

Wilty

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiltyHolten
3DS FC
2294-6756-9246
i noticed the damge changes when i was edge guarding the very first day (1.10 patch) with Nair's, the game have physics, numbers, (some time weird physics when i do slow motion dash or b reverse following the original inertia instead the bounce effect), we can make a conclusion with numbers but... It's like the thread "lucina is that really bad?" lucina like any character on the game have especific numbers, but the combination of them you get posibilities, the path of each one is (lucina voice) written by your self...

Like i said before "The right man in the wrong chracter can make all the difference in the match.", i had matches with top tier, and nearly won those matches, in opossite direction, little sh... mac or even charizard they destroy me in more than one match...

No matter how many math you are doing, no matter how theory you are thinking, the experience is all the matter in the real life and game... trust me i'm an enginieer.... student. The difference in the end is not based on the character, it's the player.

Wilty

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiltyHolten
3DS FC
2294-6756-9246
huuuu i don't know what are you refrerring

Warlock and falcon change the direction, but the Breaker reverse have 2 (ok 3) side efects;
1.- the bounce like huuu the normal ground b reverse
2.- the slide (moving with the original inertia like pac man and Captian falcos kills on the montage) and the third, is artifitial you reverse on neutral state doing a hop, but is not really neutral... as you can see with the fox kill in the video

This techqnique is awesome with presure opponents ;D

Last edited:

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just popping in real quick.

Just wanted to ask, but does anyone have some high-resolution pictures for Lucina's character select screen portraits?

Basically, all of these:

Reason why is I'm currently trying to make some Character Select Portraits and Battle Portraits for her to go into Brawl mods.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the Motherlode for pretty much every character portrait, except for the latest character DLC anyways.

http://imgur.com/a/0RQtP?gallery

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
S tiers are incredibly unfun matchups and always make me want to drop Lucina completely. The things I'd do for tools against lame things like Rosalina and Sheik. Hell even Diddy and Bowser Jr give me issues.

Gokart48

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gokart48
That is so awesome! And it makes that scene even better than I thought. But the 3rd photo isn't showing for me. I must know what happened there!

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. I have a story to tell, and it has to do with Lucina, or more specifically, her Amiibo. :p

Just a few months ago, my girlfriend picked up Smash 4 Wii U, and one of the characters she gravitated towards quickly was Lucina. I only played Lucina a couple of times before that, so I showed her what I knew about her, and while she's slow to catch on sometimes, she can get good results. Anyway, this was probably in late June/early July, and I wanted to repay her for getting me a Pit Amiibo, which was one of the Amiibos I was dying to get considering Pit is one my mains. I found a Lucina Amiibo that was $40. At first, I didn't want to buy it, but then I considered the fact that I wasn't getting it for myself, but for her, so I said "Screw it, I'll pay 3 times the amount an Amiibo would normally cost considering that she's special to me." The Amiibo arrived when my girlfriend was at my house. My mom opened the box it came in, I brought it to my room, and gave it to her. She opened it, and her reaction is something I will never forget. She looked at the Amiibo, dropped the box on my bed, covered her mouth with her hands, and took huge breaths. She then looked at me and said "I... I don't know what to say," to which I replied with "You don't need to say anything. You said that I owe you for being the complete series of The Spectacular Spider-Man on Blu-Ray, and what you didn't know is that the money I had to buy that went to your gift." We looked at each other with our chocolate eyes, she lunged at me, and we made out for a while.

It was a great day, and seeing her happy made me glad to make her that way. :)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Just going to hope that they have an amiibo bundle when the Western release for Fates gets here.

Also I'd be overjoyed if I could join some group, hobby circle or even just get notes on current but constructive matchup notes. I know the issue is that most don't partake due to not having data to give, but I mean SOMEONE notable has to have some information/tips for the current patch I'd hope.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Currently watching Etika's Let's Play of Awakening. I love the story in it!!!!

Top Bottom