• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

Fino

Smash Master
I have a question and a favor to ask:
Question: What are the situations where i would use the Whistle armor or not?

Favor: Could someone give me a link to a match with a really fast olimar.
thanks
There's not really a generic answer to your question really. It's something you have to acquire from playing. I use whistle if I need to get grounded or when I'm recovering against characters I know punish aerial dodges well.

As for "fast olimars" the closest you're going to get is either vids of me or Andy G
Olimar is a camper, so that's how a lot of people learn to use him effectively

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Basically, when you're in a position where you have a good chance of dying if you don't whistle, go ahead and whistle and take the damage. It's always better to get more damage on yourself and live rather die.

In the air, if you're in a situation where an airdodge can be baited easily, go ahead and whistle through what you might otherwise airdodge and then determine whether or not you should whistle your opponent's followup- if he has one. If you've gotten your opponent to bite after the whistle (in other words, they jump up to attack you), you can usually airdodge safely through the attack. It varies depending on the opponent though.

Against MK in particular when you're at a high percent or you're offstage, I find it best to whistle through everything and if there is an opening after you've successfully whistled through an attack, then you can sometimes nair or upair after the whistle depending on which attack they used.

Generally, the laggier the attacks of your opponents aerials, the more likely it'll be safe to airdodge.

I don't think I'm getting anywhere. >_> Just experiment with it and try see what works and what doesn't. Be creative.

And if you want fast, you're playing the wrong game.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
whenever you run and change direction to run the opposite direction it's called a pivot. grabbing at this time will cause olimar to continue traveling the direction he was originally going slightly, while doing a grab, and increases the range of the grab.

It's good because of it's extended range, and the fact that you're actually running away from the opponent and attacking (well, grabbing) at the same time, thus adding to how amazing olimar is at playing keep-away.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, some weird stuff has been happening when I throw people as Olimar.

Its like this, sometimes when I throw people they somehow get released during the throw's animation(which still goes on as if the person is getting thrown), has this happened to any of you before?

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768

Its like this, sometimes when I throw people they somehow get released during the throw's animation(which still goes on as if the person is getting thrown), has this happened to any of you before?
It has happened to me a few time on wifi, but I usually do not suffer because of it.

KBM

Smash Ace

yep, happens :S

happened to kirbs in melee too.

just dont take chances with too many pummels.

Ademo

Smash Apprentice

Thoose darn purps!

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
It has happened to me a few time on wifi, but I usually do not suffer because of it.
It happened to me offline but not online(yet), it doesn't hinder me much but I'm just a bit bothered by it occurring now of all times.

yep, happens :S

happened to kirbs in melee too.

just don't take chances with too many pummels.
I expected that to only happen in glitchy Melee but not in Brawl as well(black hole glitch memories :D).

Anyway, it occurs randomly(for me at least) because I don't pummel much(which I should consider doing more) for that to even happen.

Those darn purps!
This has occurred not only with the purples but with all of my pikmin, very strange indeed...

XienZo

Smash Lord

I think it has something to do with the lag between Olimar and the Pikmin; if Olimar commands the pikmin to throw, but they escape after Olimar commands but before the pikmin moves, the pikmin would follow through with the throw even though they escaped.

Or, at least, thats what I think happens.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
How might differences in opponent weight change the most effective way to follow up a d-throw?

asob4

Smash Champion
for lighter/floatier characters go for a fair/FH fair/uair/nair more aerial stuff
for the heavier/larger/FF characters go for usmash or fair, either is fine. fsmash is also a very good follow on these characters
MK falls into the FF characters

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Cool. And I've seen it done a lot but is a d-throw>SH latch>F-air ever more practical than the other options?

asob4

Smash Champion
bout as practical as all the others
more useful with white or purple when you latch

but it's cool when you throw a yellow then fair them into it ;D
me and awex agree

Fino

Smash Master
Cool. And I've seen it done a lot but is a d-throw>SH latch>F-air ever more practical than the other options?
dthrow-sh purple pikmin toss- fair is good when you can do it.... fino combo D:

purple pikmin toss - fair is a true combo :D
bout as practical as all the others
more useful with white or purple when you latch

but it's cool when you throw a yellow then fair them into it ;D
me and awex agree
ROFLOL!!! that's hilarious... most likely better than SGC'ing.... wtf am I saying, that's better... a SGC doesn't guarantee a yellow pikmin latch XD
skank is awesome <333

~Fino

asob4

Smash Champion
it's sooooo amazingg!!!
like first it's the fair damage then BAM! random latch damage from a yellow pikmin!
:D

<33 fino

RichBrown

Smash Master
Hey what moves does Olimar's Utilt outprioritize? I know it goes through Wario's Dair, but I dunno what other moves it goes throw. I'm most interested in in it goes through Falco's Dair.

Fino

Smash Master
Hey what moves does Olimar's Utilt outprioritize? I know it goes through Wario's Dair, but I dunno what other moves it goes throw. I'm most interested in in it goes through Falco's Dair.
Probably... Im' not sure. It out prioritizes G&W Key, and wolf's fsmash (on the rising animation) as well as projectiles like pikachu's tshock. It would be kind of interesting to test the limits of his utilt.

~Fino

RichBrown

Smash Master
Someone should do this. I've been using that move more, particularly if I miss a tech. I'll do straight get up->Utilt. It's amazing because most people will react to the hit on their shield, thinking you did a getup attack, and they let their shield down. I was watching one of Gonta's videos (love his style) and it looked like his Utilt outprioritized Falco's Dair. If that's possible, that'd be awesome.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Agreed, it would be really nifty to know which moves it doesn't beat. Should grounded moves be tested as well? Since moves for moves like wolf's fsmash have a small window of time that the hitbox would actually hit the opponent, since it rises.

asob4

Smash Champion
hmmm i'm pretty sure it beats it out
it's only a single hit and it's multu hit, you can only assume

aznboi4sa1e

Smash Rookie
i heard that the up-b gets better at higher %
this is from a rob thread. . . i never heard this b4 so is this true? and i don't understand how it can be better- won't be just be the same length as the amount of pikmin you control

Excellence

Smash Champion
Stay on the ground as much as possible. When you get hit with a Banana it's usually because you're SH double tossing Pikmin and he's glide tossing it at your feet right as you land. If you're on the ground you can use Pikmin Toss (Side B) to stop incoming bananas as well as Forward Smash (which I reccomend). Once the Bananas are stopped Diddy will usually use a Dash Attack to pick them up or try to mindgame you into moving away from them, slipping on them, or getting hit with an aerial of his - don't get fooled. You're pretty much safe in your shield and you can punish any of his approaches that aren't banana related. When he goes to get his banana, Forward Smash him away or Grab him (I reccomend grabbing) then FAir him while hoping over his bananas that he's trying to get. Without them you can pivot grab anything he tries or just hurl Pikmin at him until he tries to make more Bananas fall out his ***.

If he tries to short hop and toss a banana you can Air Dodge while DI'ing toward it and catch it, then throw it appropriated (I usually toss down so he can't punish my landing) or Z-grab it which is when you press Z to catch the banana without any grab animation at all.

As for ledgeguard, I've seen a lot of things going on. He always tries to use the stupid side B of his to get back on to the stage so learn where it stops and have a FSmash wall waiting for him if he uses it. Because you're now a bit away from the stage, when he rolls you'll likely see it and with fast reactions you can punish it. If he jumps over the ledge you can Up Air him and gets some damage in. You might even want to try Pivot Grabbing him.

Try your best not to get Banana locked, you can shield his bananas so if needed I suggest you do it. If you do find yourself getting Banana locked, Diddy is most likely going to just throw you off stage and try to gimp you with his Peanut Gun and then ledgehog you. Don't rely on spiking him with Up B in that situation, all the Diddys I've played smash DI into the stage, tech off it, then recover anyway. I would get creative with the recover, try not to jump immediately and always be weary of a spike.

As far as killing goes for you. I think it's easy to do, especially if you get a banana. Up Smash kills him pretty quickly because Diddy's horizontal recovery is pretty good. What I like to do is mindgame them with Blue Pikmin, instead of tossing them back when you're near the ledge, Toss them up. Smarter players will DI up anticipating the BThrow but will actually die quicker cause it's really an UThrow.

KBM

Smash Ace
Tips on fighting a diddy?
forward smash. a lot.

it goes right through bananas if he throws them at you, and if he's glide tossing he's going to get owned.

stay grounded, stay in the middle, and forward smash.

you're never going to pivot grab him so dont try.

Fino

Smash Master
You guys got down what I didn't want to type XD.

Like I said.... if you have questions about a character in general... please go to the match-up discussion thread ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172222 ). If you have something in particular about a character, feel free to ask here.

Something that might help you in the diddy match-up, is (as excellence noted) when they use their side B, and you notice that they always kick... just get hit by it. If they use that move off the edge and kick someone, they're dead. They can't use any other recovery move.

Situational, and requires predicting... but something none-the-less

I went ahead and enlarged the character thing in the OP... hopefully other people will see it.

~Fino

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
Alright thanks guys, I see that my problem is I don't do enough fsmash and I SH pikmins alot against diddy which the bananas will punish me if i do that. And sorry fino about the character match up question.

Fino

Smash Master
Alright thanks guys, I see that my problem is I don't do enough fsmash and I SH pikmins alot against diddy which the bananas will punish me if i do that. And sorry fino about the character match up question.
It's nothing big, more people pay attention to the match-up discussion thread, and it's also a more suited question for there... I just don't want to explain how to fight the mechanics of every char @.@

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I like to do is mindgame them with Blue Pikmin, instead of tossing them back when you're near the ledge, Toss them up. Smarter players will DI up anticipating the BThrow but will actually die quicker cause it's really an UThrow.
It's a common misconception that when you DI up after getting hit upwards, you die faster.

If you don't jump, DIing up actually does absolutely nothing to the distance you travel. When you DI an attack, you're simply altering the trajectory of your knockback- not decreasing or increasing the distance you fly. In other words, you can't change how far you'll fly with DI- only the direction.

I don't like Metaknight.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I was aware of that I just think I worded it really poorly. I was trying to say they die early because they're going up at a 90 degree angle with that stage instead of going back at a 45 degree angle because of their DI. Not helping themselves by using proper DI was suppose to make them die quicker.

I still don't even think that makes sense. Nevermind. -_-

Fino

Smash Master
What I like to do is mindgame them with Blue Pikmin, instead of tossing them back when you're near the ledge, Toss them up. Smarter players will DI up anticipating the BThrow but will actually die quicker cause it's really an UThrow.
Smarter players actually will always DI olimar's b/fthrows up until they see that pikmin jump in the air for a uthrow. It's really slow imo.... and you easily have enough time to change directions.

~Fino

Zumma

Smash Cadet
Backups for Oli

So, i main Oli. I want two backups for him, but i can't decide who. Help me please.

And no MK or Snake.

Zori

Smash Champion
I dunno some say d3 but its camp camp camp camp, done camping? chain grab chain grab chain grab

bair

sounds like fun for me -_-

diddy might work

Zumma

Smash Cadet
D3 is a no no. I don't like his playstyle at all. Same thing with Snake and MK.

Diddy might work. Any other?

Top Bottom