• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's probably not a good tactic but I'll ask anyway. Is there any merit to using Falcon Kick off the ledge to chase someone recovering high? I've had some success but I wanted to get some kind of opinion on it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
It works as a surprise attack sometimes, be careful when doing it, iirc you can kill yourself if you finish the falcon kick too far offstage.
How can i approach a campy constantly floating peach.
If she likes to float at ground height dash grab her
If she likes to float above your grab range use SH Nairs
If she likes to float above that use SH Uair and FH Bair.

tdksparda

Smash Rookie
Hi this is my first post and first time getting into a smash game competitively, just dabbling in characters id played casually before falcon seemed to suit my style best. Using a gamecube controller for the first time I seem to be having some issues trying to get falcon to go where I want him.

Mucking around in training mode there seems to be a tonne of different cancels and dashes and whatnot, is there an in depth guide of the complete list of movement options for falcon? I have searched the falcon forums but all ive seen is someone linking a mac video of a few waves dashes. Im hoping for something a bit more in depth and falcon specific.

I'm curious to know all there is to know tech wise but once again there doesn't seem to be a sticky or any one thread covering this.

Also how do you practice punishing stuff in training mode, theres no record feature like in sf4.

Last edited:

Tarry

Smash Cadet
NNID
CyrenCE
Hi this is my first post and first time getting into a smash game competitively, just dabbling in characters id played casually before falcon seemed to suit my style best. Using a gamecube controller for the first time I seem to be having some issues trying to get falcon to go where I want him.

Mucking around in training mode there seems to be a tonne of different cancels and dashes and whatnot, is there an in depth guide of the complete list of movement options for falcon? I have searched the falcon forums but all ive seen is someone linking a mac video of a few waves dashes. Im hoping for something a bit more in depth and falcon specific.

I'm curious to know all there is to know tech wise but once again there doesn't seem to be a sticky or any one thread covering this.

Also how do you practice punishing stuff in training mode, theres no record feature like in sf4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3aKhPRxOUo This video should help with movement.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is Falcon Kick through the platform something the Capt. can do like Ganondorf? I'm going to assume yes, but I don't know what the Capt. could do out of it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
What do you mean by through the platform ? Falcon passing through a platform with air falcon kick ?

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
Also out of my wanting to main chars who i should learn first in order to complement falcon?, wanting to have a second and third main to counterpick bad matchups for falcon

tdksparda

Smash Rookie
i seem to have a problem range where if say an opponent whiffs a move from poke range or a little bit closer i can't punish or grab because dash grab overshoots or walk grab would be too slow. I am struggling to turn without dashing, I can settle for a cstick ftilt but seems like a fail of a punish, any suggestions? My gc stick just might be super sensitive or i just need to adjust

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
As far as I know that's just how Smash 4 works, with a dash that comes out way too easily compared to Brawl. You have to practice, that's all.

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
i seem to have a problem range where if say an opponent whiffs a move from poke range or a little bit closer i can't punish or grab because dash grab overshoots or walk grab would be too slow. I am struggling to turn without dashing, I can settle for a cstick ftilt but seems like a fail of a punish, any suggestions? My gc stick just might be super sensitive or i just need to adjust
Dash dance once then grab (dash away, immediately dash forward, grab). It covers the blind spot between standing grab and dash grab.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Who is the best CFalcon player right now? How well have they done in tournaments with him?

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
I've been having troubles at Doubles matches. Is Falcon more suited to fight alongisde a quick punisher so he can extend their follow-ups or is he better off with someone more of a camper so he can do the rushdown job himself?

It also seems that everything Falcon does is punishable in doubles.

Wyles

Smash Cadet
What do you do after you grab an opponent and youre at the edge? Fthrow for a gimp or bthrow for the reset to neutral?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I've been having troubles at Doubles matches. Is Falcon more suited to fight alongisde a quick punisher so he can extend their follow-ups or is he better off with someone more of a camper so he can do the rushdown job himself?

When in doubles you want to use mostly your safe moves and abuse your mobility to be at the right place at the right time. Uair, Bair, Jab, etc. Avoid Fair, Dair, RB, FK and the likes unless it's 100% guaranteed to connect.
You want to team with characters that can be aggressive in 1v2 situations. Then you have 2 goals : make your team mate safe by covering his cooldowns with your fast moves, and capitalize on the openings he creates with your strong moves.

What do you do after you grab an opponent and youre at the edge? Fthrow for a gimp or bthrow for the reset to neutral?
I personally like to Fthrow into edgeguarding or Dthrow for follow up cheese. With good edgeguarding you can rack up a lot of damage by keeping people at the ledge, even without killing them.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Question: Can Captain Falcon's reverse Uair gimp like Ganondorf's? I know Ganondorf's can since the last part of his Uair is active and at that point, he's hitting downward instead of flipping people upward.

BSP

Smash Legend

I agree with everything Teluoborg said. I think Falcon is best as aggressive support in doubles, which is what Teluoborg described. He can be the aggressor, but he's not the best at it. He's a big target, has an awful disadvantage state, and no quick GTFO moves like better aggressive partners.

Stemming off of that, I would try to team with aggressive, safe(r) characters who don't mind charging into the 2V1's while expecting Falcon's support, and have good moves to set up massive capitalization by Falcon. So people like
  • MK: fast, quick moves, small target, and moves like Mach Tornado, Dthrow, and Uthrow to set up for Falcon
  • Sheik: fast, quick, safe, and has auto combos to carry people to Falcon. Her throws are good setups too.
  • Diddy: same as Sheik for the most part
  • Sonic: He's not as safe as the above, but he is fast enough to force sandwich situations and pressure that you can capitalize off of. His throws set up well, and he's great for bailing you out when you're in trouble.
  • Mario: fast, some of the best frame data in game, and an amazing setup throw in Bthrow. Has autocombos to carry to Falcon too.
Etc. Of course, Falcon can support anyone, but the faster characters with better aggressive playstyles will have more synergy IMO.

Question: Can Captain Falcon's reverse Uair gimp like Ganondorf's? I know Ganondorf's can since the last part of his Uair is active and at that point, he's hitting downward instead of flipping people upward.
Yes, but it's harder. In my experience, only ~ the last 1/8 of Uair's animation will produce Ganon like results, and even then it doesn't really semi-spike. The earlier parts will still knock people upwards.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Falcon's Uair doesn't last as long as Ganon's and the hit doesn't semi spike either. It still sends people in an almost horizontal trajectory that can gimp. Personally, I prefer the Bair.

MonkBard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-0453-0713
so what do i need to know to pick up the captain? i know his combos(dthrow->uair->uair->up b is hilarious, very % specific tho)and i know he just runs in and tries to bait a reaction. is there more i need to know?
As Captain Falcon, your priority is to set the pace of the match. You gotta know when to rush in and beat 'em down (HINT: do this against projectile-heavy characters), and when to hang back and bait them into coming to you.

RyeSSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanTheDrummer
3DS FC
3652-0543-2675
Do you guys think that Falcon is easy or hard to master? I know he's easy to play, but everyone seems to to think mastering him is easy.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Do you guys think that Falcon is easy or hard to master? I know he's easy to play, but everyone seems to to think mastering him is easy.
Mastering isn't hard so much as it just takes a lot of practice to get the spacing and timing right. I'm looking into switching mains for this very reason. The only in-person practice I get is at my monthly, and the TO has a really bad habit of cancelling and/or bailing on us. If you don't have the money to travel 1.5-2.5 hours every week to a tournament, you can't use Falcon to anywhere near his full potential. Which is a problem, because there are so many Falcon players that most people have decent MU experience against him.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
The thing is : it's quite easy to have a decent Falcon. You just need to be good at reading, have a good feel about how much hitstun your moves do and know what is a true combo and what isn't.

Having a really good Falcon needs more practice though, as you go up in play level you need to master your movements and be able to cover Falcon's weakness, especially his abysmal recovery. You also need to master all of your options since there are a good amount of matchups that you can't play with your general gameplan.

You see that gap between "easy to be decent" and "hard to master" in tournaments results : a lot of Falcons will do good but only the best will win tourneys.

Last edited:

jset818

Smash Cadet
How do I deal with a Luigi player that spams fireballs and then runs behind it to grab me or aerial attack? I recently lost a tournament match against a super defensive Luigi that would just spam fireballs and only go in when I get too close. When he sees me about to block a fireball, he would dash in and grab me then doing 50% damage to me. I thought about powershielding the fireball and then do Gentleman to prevent the grab but sometimes he would jump in behind a fireball and SH Dair or Fair then Nair me. Please advise.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
@ Waymas Waymas : do you mean escape the second hit after getting hit by the first one ? I don't think that's possible.

@ jset818 jset818 : well you have to be reactive about what the Luigi does. If you perfect shield his fireball and he jumps to follow with an aerial then stay in your shield, since his aerials are punishable on shield.
Just because you perfect shield doesn't mean you have to approach.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
@ teluoborg teluoborg i saw Zero DI out of it once, i'm guessing it was up and towards MK, i'm not really sure that's what i am asking.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
@ Waymas Waymas you mean like when ZeRo does that, then the commentators say "it seems ZeRo has figured out the DI"?

in this match:

Judging by falcon's trajectory, DIing upwards seems to be the way to go, but it depends on Falcon's relative position to MK. It's risky because it sends you even higher and might kill sooner than it's supposed to.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
What are some good strings to get with Falcon that are pretty easy to land. I know there's d throw to uair, but is there anything else, or am I just expected to rush in and be all over the place with Falcon?

Eureka

Smash Ace
I've been working on playing against projectile characters and I've stoped running into them like a moron or giving them a wider radius then a Uwe Boll film. With patience and reaction I've found I can take on most zoning. Expect, that is for Mega Man. I can never seem to find an opening against a good Mega Man, as it always seems like he can just throw down a lemon or bair at any time to stuff my approch. What am I supposed to do to land hits on Mega Man?

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
what moves with falcon are safe on shield?? basically which moves cant be shield grabbed is spaced probably

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
What are some good strings to get with Falcon that are pretty easy to land. I know there's d throw to uair, but is there anything else, or am I just expected to rush in and be all over the place with Falcon?
Some ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
At 0%:
-Fthrow >(Opponent misses tech) > Dair (this will force a neutral getup) > Anything you want (Preferrably knee :yeahboi:)
-Dthrow > SH Nair (If the character is a fastfaller you can true combo into more nairs if you autocancel it) Particularly useful in the Falcon ditto
-Falling Uair > Jab 1 > Jab 2 > Grab > Dthrow > Uair/nair
- Dthrow > Dash attack (If they DI down and away) > Uair
30%
-Bread and butter Dthrow > Uair
-Dthrow > Nair
-Falling Uair > Uair > Uair > Uair > Uair etc. (can potentially lead into knee, be on the lookout)

50 - 70%
-Dthrow > Knee of Justice (Character and DI dependent, but can frame trap opponents into a falling Uair which will lead into a guaranteed knee)
-Dthrow > Uair
-Dthrow > Bair
-Falling Uair > Knee

100%+
-Dthrow > Uair on heavy/large characters will just barely be possible in the early 100%'s
- Dthrow (at ledge) > bait the airdodge > Knee/Bair/Dair

There are more i'm sure but the best way to find out about them is through experience. Be a little ambitious and go for things you think may or may not work; that's what Falcon's all about. And who knows? You just might land it.

what moves with falcon are safe on shield?? basically which moves cant be shield grabbed is spaced probably
Falling Uair, Bair and (only for Luigi) ALL of his smash attacks.

Last edited:

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
Is there anything i gotta consider with Falcon dittos?
Also another question having to do with Captain dittos, if i get UpB by the enemy falcon at aprox. what point of the falcon dive i must press the tech button to avoid being stage spike'd or gimped?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
@ VileMK2 VileMK2 Falcon dittos are about disrespect more than winning. You have to land a maximum amount of spikes and knees, with Falcon punch being the absolute best.

When grabbed by up B you want to tech at the moment you get released from the hug.

@ Nate22Hill Nate22Hill :
completely safe on shield :
-Bair when you autocancel it perfectly
-Uair when you land as soon as you connect (you must perform it as close to the ground as possible)

Kind of safe on shield :
-Dtilt when spaced to the extreme (some characters with long range or good dash attack can punish)
-Ftilt (same)
-Jab 1 and 2 (when people expect the gentleman)
-second hit of Nair (preferably autocanceled)
-second hit of Dsmash
-weak Uair

Not safe but people don't punish it yet :
-Dair
-Fsmash

@ E Eureka Megaman is a pain. Generally what you want to do is jump over his lemons while facing backwards and fall with Bairs autocanceled. You can also try to camp him out of grab range and shield his lemons to force him to do a mistake (they like to grab, dash attack or dtilt when you're at this distance). Otherwise idk, I struggle a lot too against MM.

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
Hey guy I was hoping someone had some information on at for falcon. I consider myself to be a good falcon player in. Y state but I wana learn more at. Des anyone know any I can learn with description since I can't find any? I'm already very capable of his combos and reads it just his at that I get wrecked at when it comes to top lovely players on the state.

Top Bottom