• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you want to practice with a CPU of any sort you can, but you need to focus on simple things like working on your spacing, or trying to not get hit a single time.

You don't want to try to mindgame the CPU because it'll give you bad habits that will be hard to lose.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I have been trying to practice Falcon's jab -> jab -> Grab combo... more often than not I do the ground knee.

Any visual thing I can look for to know I can then grab or is this just a matter of messing with timing till I figure it out and program it to instinct?

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Lemme guess: no dedicated servers, with the online portion only serving for forming the match then having the two players connect directly?

Anyway, I don't practice on CPUS by preference; I practice on them by necessity.

Last edited:

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
Can anyone give any help ful advice on falcons ledge trump? I can do foxes and lucarios very easily but when it comes to falcons i simply fail most times. Im trying to get good at it with him tobeat a certain ness player and other of stage or into a bad situation. Is there any tricks to mastering his?

Eureka

Smash Ace
Lemme guess: no dedicated servers, with the online portion only serving for forming the match then having the two players connect directly?

Anyway, I don't practice on CPUS by preference; I practice on them by necessity.
Yeah that's how it works, although depending on where you live there might be some people who would be willing to train with you. Who knows? You might be 10 minutes away from a godlike Falcon player. I thought there was a thread that helped people find other players nearby to play against, but I might be wrong. If I am can someone please correct me?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I don't think we have a player finder thread on these boards, it might be interesting but since everyone plays Falcon to some degree I guess you just have to find any Smash player lol.
I have been trying to practice Falcon's jab -> jab -> Grab combo... more often than not I do the ground knee.

Any visual thing I can look for to know I can then grab or is this just a matter of messing with timing till I figure it out and program it to instinct?
hold shield after inputting the jabs, and press A as soon as the shield appears. With practice you'll manage to make the shield appear for the shortest time.

Can anyone give any help ful advice on falcons ledge trump? I can do foxes and lucarios very easily but when it comes to falcons i simply fail most times. Im trying to get good at it with him tobeat a certain ness player and other of stage or into a bad situation. Is there any tricks to mastering his?
There's no magic trick, just practice until you get the timing right.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Which of these characters is the worst MU for Falcon?

:4lucas::4mario::4zss::4villager:
I'd say Villager, simply because that thing has more projectiles and approach denial tools than you can shake a stick at. Since Falcon only has like 4 good approach options, it means shutting down even one makes Falcon much more predictable. Also Falcon can get gimped pretty hard with that bowling ball, fricking thing pisses me off every time I see a Villager drop one into the abyss. The Lucas MU is still unexplored, Mario's fireball isn't a strong enough projectile to camp out Falcon, and Falcon can go toe-to-toe with ZSS in melee.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Well... my friend's Zero Suit Samus is getting really annoying again.

Her up smash has an absurd hit box... ill be going for a dash attack and find myself in the air.

Can I get some advice for that scenario, and general how to approach?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Well... my friend's Zero Suit Samus is getting really annoying again.

Her up smash has an absurd hit box... ill be going for a dash attack and find myself in the air.

Can I get some advice for that scenario, and general how to approach?
Easiest advice: Don't rely on dash attacks for approaches, they leave you open for attack. I've learned from experience that dash attack is the most predictable approach in the game. Try mixing it up with a short hop -> B-air or short hop -> Nair. Dash grabs are good on shield but try to mix it up to keep your friend guessing.

Avoid running into your friend's Up smash by waiting it out then go for the dash grab.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
After listening to the interview with Zero and he called out all Falcon mains...it did get me curious... who is considered the most notable Falcon? >_> I'd say him...honestly even though he does just play him for hype so he says.
Falcon mainers and ideas who is the top 3 falcon users? Opinions or factual

Notable -... as in great

Last edited:

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
After the 1.0.8 patch i actually discovered some kind of combo that i have been able to pull it on some characters, is it reliable?
dthrow + SH uair x2 + SH uair (i think this one isn't guaranteed) + improvisation (i tend to go for fsmash or upb)

Note: Works for me around 10%-20%.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Can I get some knee combo's and percentages please?

I had hoped to learn more universal stuff first... but it seems I am to the point where I need to learn those differences.

TIGER17

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosTiger27
3DS FC
1564-3676-6738
When I play C. Falcon I feel like im becoming WAY too predictable. do anyone know any good mix-ups for the neutral game I usually run up and grab or dash attack sometimes I just stop but when I do that I usually get hit and lose the neutral game.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
When I play C. Falcon I feel like im becoming WAY too predictable. do anyone know any good mix-ups for the neutral game I usually run up and grab or dash attack sometimes I just stop but when I do that I usually get hit and lose the neutral game.
You can try:
1-Foxtrot Canceling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppw-igC6Uog[/spoiler]
2- Spacing with bair, first hit nair and SHFF Uair

3-Or just be really patient, wait for your opponent to commit to something and react accordingly, usually with a dashgrab. Falcon isn't the character who should regularly go for the "run up and grab or dash attack plan", instead being heavily bait-and-punish oriented.

Last edited:

Goomberz

Smash Rookie
I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with Jigglypuff's edge guarding whenever I get hit off stage with multiple Nair's or Fair's. Any tips?

Shade.

Smash Cadet
I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with Jigglypuff's edge guarding whenever I get hit off stage with multiple Nair's or Fair's. Any tips?
Use up air to get them away from you, your legs are way longer than Jigglypuff's.

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
Placings of Falcons @Evo? Does anyone know them? e.g. from Tearbear, Max Ketchum, fatality, Acid?

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I normally pick Final Destination, but do note that Falcon's up smash hits through the platforms on battlefield. Basically, if you can use the platforms that a stage has to help you recover or combo, play those, and if you can't, ban them so your opponent won't either.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
You can use Falcon kick, but you have to be very careful. It has good range, speed, and priority, but can be shielded or dodged and punished. It is very effective and does 13-15 damage per hit, but if you spam it, you will get majorly punished.

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Which stages are good for Falcon, because at the moment I don't really know where to ban or pick?
Platforms. Falcon does really good with Platforms, so think BF, T&C, etc. Lets you set up air string well, and take more advantage of Falcon's amazing air game.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I remember seeing a Falcon named Acid on the stream the first day, it was in the first hour of the stream iirc. Haven't seen another one since.

Zazabar

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zazabar
Anyone know of a good approach to falling to the stage? Falcon doesn't have many attacks that really keep opponents from chasing after him if he falls on stage. I know to try and not fall on stage, but sometimes there's no other way. I just don't have a good/safe landing game with Falcon.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
All Falcons I saw on EVO stream were doing pretty poor, sadly.

@ Zazabar Zazabar use your air speed, bair and uair to cover as much as you can. Falcon's really bad at landing but at least he does it pretty quick with his fast falling. Mixing up with an aerial Falcon Kick against more offensive opponents every once in a while can do pretty good.

Last edited:

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
Anyone know of a good approach to falling to the stage? Falcon doesn't have many attacks that really keep opponents from chasing after him if he falls on stage. I know to try and not fall on stage, but sometimes there's no other way. I just don't have a good/safe landing game with Falcon.
2 things you can do: a) Fast fall and recover low if your opponent is covering up. B) Land with an aerial. I really like using Bair or first hit Nair since it has little to no landing lag. Uair isn't bad especially if your opponent is tall.

Also as a general thing, it seems like Yoshi and Falcon are in a similar position where both characters seem great, are very popular, but really aren't getting the results you expect. Yoshi more so than Falcon, but maybe with if Shiek gets nerfed, Falcon will rally Tourney wins with Zero.

Last edited:

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Brand new to Falcon so sorry if these questions sound dumb. First off, what's the timing for fast falled nair? I can never hit it, it always goes over their heads or just cancels before a hitbox is thrown out. Second, how do I grab OoS? Dash grabbing always sends me past the opponent and gets me punished while standing grab has no range on it. Third, how do I juggle heavy characters or fast fallers? Someone like Bowser will eat one uair and then fall below me before I can do anything about it.

PinkPillow

Smash Rookie
Can you B-reverse falcon's up B ? Since you have less range if you up B backwards, I was wondering.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
2 things you can do: a) Fast fall and recover low if your opponent is covering up. B) Land with an aerial. I really like using Bair or first hit Nair since it has little to no landing lag. Uair isn't bad especially if your opponent is tall.

Also as a general thing, it seems like Yoshi and Falcon are in a similar position where both characters seem great, are very popular, but really aren't getting the results you expect. Yoshi more so than Falcon, but maybe with if Shiek gets nerfed, Falcon will rally Tourney wins with Zero.

I am no expert on the competitive side of this game... so the best thing to do with this post is probably disregardful it.

Falcon is a fun and popular character.

Personally, I switched to him from Shiek because of KO power. Shiek is arguably the best competitive character but in 3-4 person item matches her gimping becomes a lot weaker of a weapon and her lack of KO power becomes very evident.

Falcon has the KO power, some good things to do in a more chaotic setting, but one on one weaknesses such as his lack of recovery, lack of range, and surely other things like that really become noticeable...

I still want to see how the top players are doing, but I am doubtful Falcon will ever be considered elite by the top level people.

Pluslerules

Smash Rookie
Can you B-reverse falcon's up B ? Since you have less range if you up B backwards, I was wondering.
Yes. In addition to its benefits to recovery, B reversing Falcon Dive also gives you more freedom in landing the move's grab box on someone.

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
I am no expert on the competitive side of this game... so the best thing to do with this post is probably disregardful it.

Falcon is a fun and popular character.

Personally, I switched to him from Shiek because of KO power. Shiek is arguably the best competitive character but in 3-4 person item matches her gimping becomes a lot weaker of a weapon and her lack of KO power becomes very evident.

Falcon has the KO power, some good things to do in a more chaotic setting, but one on one weaknesses such as his lack of recovery, lack of range, and surely other things like that really become noticeable...

I still want to see how the top players are doing, but I am doubtful Falcon will ever be considered elite by the top level people.
Well for casual play how falcon/shiek play shouldn't matter. If it's purely for fun, just play whoever you feel like. Shiek isn't really casual friendly tbh, Falcon is. He is alot easier to use and imo alot more hype. I mean, KNEES and FALCON PUNCHES are so fun to hit on friends.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
hold shield after inputting the jabs, and press A as soon as the shield appears. With practice you'll manage to make the shield appear for the shortest time.
I had no trouble doing this on the 3ds version, or on the Wii U gamepad, but now that I switched to the GameCube Controller I find it a lot harder to pull off.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Any way to practice knee and bair timings? Seems like some days I hit it 95% of the time and others I can't hit it at all.

Also, the Dair spike... how big a part of Falcon's game is it? I have found myself landing it then finding myself in a fast fall that I can't recover from despite using the cstick to ensure that wouldn't happen... What am I missing?

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
Hello, asking for help on what i could start improving in the next areas i'm lacking:

Neutral game, i really cant go far form dash grab/attack and SH aerials (Except Bair, i still cant make RAR reliable)

Punish game, generally when my enemy uses a smash attack, if i try to dash grab, they got enough time to jab, of if i do an attack they get enough time to shield

Combos above 60%

Baiting air dodges, specially when i try to dthrow + bait airdodge into knee, the thing is that when the enemy airdodges he generally also moves, i also dunno if i have to shorthop of gull hop in order to bait accordingly.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Hello, asking for help on what i could start improving in the next areas i'm lacking:

Neutral game, i really cant go far form dash grab/attack and SH aerials (Except Bair, i still cant make RAR reliable)

Punish game, generally when my enemy uses a smash attack, if i try to dash grab, they got enough time to jab, of if i do an attack they get enough time to shield

Combos above 60%

Baiting air dodges, specially when i try to dthrow + bait airdodge into knee, the thing is that when the enemy airdodges he generally also moves, i also dunno if i have to shorthop of gull hop in order to bait accordingly.
>Neutral Game
Falcons neutral sucks. You've already named all of his practical options, so you just need to work on the 'bait and punish' aspect of Falcon's game. He can be punished for committing to most of his neutral tools, so make every hit count.

>Combos + Airdodge punishes
Dthrow > Uair still works past 60, up until around 80%. Past that you need to make some airdodge reads. FF Uair > Knee starts working at around 60% for most characters. Footstool combos still work, baiting airdodges at really high percents for a uair kill works well.Positioning for airdodge knee punishes varies greatly depending on the stage, location, and percent, but generally you want to jump towards, almost into them, and end up above them as they airdodge. From that position you can fastfall knee reliably, in my experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom