• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
Hey guy I was hoping someone had some information on at for falcon. I consider myself to be a good falcon player in. Y state but I wana learn more at. Des anyone know any I can learn with description since I can't find any? I'm already very capable of his combos and reads it just his at that I get wrecked at when it comes to top lovely players on the state.
i feel like the best way to learn about falcon is to look through most of the threads, see what you could find out, but another great way to learn about falcon is to join the falcon skype group which is hosted by hodded falcon, their should be a thread somewhere around here about joining the group. We also have top level falcons such as fatality, trifroze and tearbear tht sometimes peak in the chat and offer advice and stuff like that. Its also a great way to play falcon dittos.

Last edited:

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
i feel like the best way to learn about falcon is to look through most of the threads, see what you could find out, but another great way to learn about falcon is to join the falcon skype group which is hosted by hodded falcon, their should be a thread somewhere around here about joining the group. We also have top level falcons such as fatality, trifroze and tearbear tht sometimes peak in the chat and offer advice and stuff like that. Its also a great way to play falcon dittos.
I appreciate this my man. Falcons dittos are the best. No body plays seriously. Just see who can show off more lol

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hi Falcon mains! I'm a Dark Pit main, and I have difficulty in the matchup against the Captain. I'm very susceptible to the following:

Dash attack
Dash into grab
Side Smash
Up aerials
Up B

I'm really in trouble with respect to Falcon's approach. He can either dash or grab; the problem is that he can do both effectively. In particular, the dash into grab is incredible for falcon because of its reach. I think my character has the second best reach, but it really cannot compete with the captain. Falcon's Side Smash has deceptive range and is incredibly powerful; it's not a common occurrence for me to be KOed around 60%. His up aerials are great for controlling the air and forcing air dodges (which can be punished). I try to edgeguard Falcon when I knock him off the ledge, but airdodges and UpB really discourage me to chase him.
This is a very frustrating MU for me because, while I have no problem building him up to high damage (120% and up), killing him is another matter. Can I get some advice?

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
Hi Falcon mains! I'm a Dark Pit main, and I have difficulty in the matchup against the Captain. I'm very susceptible to the following:

Dash attack
Dash into grab
Side Smash
Up aerials
Up B

I'm really in trouble with respect to Falcon's approach. He can either dash or grab; the problem is that he can do both effectively. In particular, the dash into grab is incredible for falcon because of its reach. I think my character has the second best reach, but it really cannot compete with the captain. Falcon's Side Smash has deceptive range and is incredibly powerful; it's not a common occurrence for me to be KOed around 60%. His up aerials are great for controlling the air and forcing air dodges (which can be punished). I try to edgeguard Falcon when I knock him off the ledge, but airdodges and UpB really discourage me to chase him.
This is a very frustrating MU for me because, while I have no problem building him up to high damage (120% and up), killing him is another matter. Can I get some advice?
Playing dark pit you have an advantage over us. Your d smash and f smash can actually gimp us it also out ranges us a lot with tilts combined. If u can get a falcon off stage then you should be able to take a stock with fairs. The captain is very combo suceptable. Also falcons grabs is one of the worst in the game. It's the slide that's makes it so deadly. His up b is almost always di able. Also his side smash is very good. If they are charging it do not approach just wait for it to pop and punish properly. If they're reading you with it in air than simply lay off and make him approach you. Also a good falcon player can incorporate short hop nairs and egg around your arrows

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
At what frames do falcon's aerials autocancel?, also anyway during normal gameplay to verify you autocanceled successfully?

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
At what frames do falcon's aerials autocancel?, also anyway during normal gameplay to verify you autocanceled successfully?
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Captain Falcon
Autocancelled aerials have no endlag , so if you hold the shield button and it comes up instantly you did it right.

Question:
How do you effectively cover ledge getup ptions as Falcon? I know of the rapid jab covering multiple options but usually when i try it the opponent will roll in. Then I try holding jab but expecting the roll and prepare to punish, and they jump onstage.
Is it possible to react to all the getup options or do you need to guess? Edgeguarding is a part of my game i've been struggling with since I picked up the Captain and have not improved very much at.

Last edited:

TakaFlaka

Smash Rookie
I wanted to ask, is there a Falcon skype group of some sort? If so, could I get the skype of the person I should add so that he could add me in? I'd appreciate it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Question:
How do you effectively cover ledge getup ptions as Falcon? I know of the rapid jab covering multiple options but usually when i try it the opponent will roll in. Then I try holding jab but expecting the roll and prepare to punish, and they jump onstage.
Is it possible to react to all the getup options or do you need to guess? Edgeguarding is a part of my game i've been struggling with since I picked up the Captain and have not improved very much at.
Stand at dash grab range of the ledge, dash grab of dash attack or FH Uair on reaction.
Stand outside of their get up attack range, use Dsmash.
And of course autojab will beat a lot of options except for ledge roll. You can bait the roll by autojabbing a little then rolling backwards and you'll end up right in front of them.

WhiteLion

Smash Cadet
Sup, as Mewtwo how should I play Falcon? There's this one guy I play who rolled away from me every time I rolled out of his dash attack/grab. I was punishing that fine with M2's dash attack but now he's using his falcon kick and I can't roll out of that: I just get hit. I'm afraid of jumping because that's sometimes what he does on approaches. Long story short: his approaches are unpredictable and idk how to react to them. Any help is appreciated :).

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
his approaches are unpredictable
Bruh.
Falcon has 4 approach options:
  1. SH Nair
  2. Falling Uair/Nair
  3. Dashgrab
  4. Dash Attack
He is a bait and punish character, so don't get baited. Shield the Falcon Kick, spotdodge the grabs, space him with your projectile and tilts, get him offstage asap and go for the EZ edgeguard. Try not to roll is you can avoid it; yeah its an easy way to avoid attacks but mewtwo's rolls are slow and go very far, which often makes him unable to punish whiffed attacks. And please, remember to DI the Downthrow down and away. Mewtwo is painfully vulnerable to the Downthrow > Knee combo and because of that i believe it's in your best interest to do this.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Captain Falcon
Autocancelled aerials have no endlag , so if you hold the shield button and it comes up instantly you did it right.

Question:
Small inconsistency here, but you DO have some recovery from autocancelled aerials. 4 frames to be exact. It may not seem like much but it can make a big difference when you hit someones shield as for what punish options they have or don't have.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Small inconsistency here, but you DO have some recovery from autocancelled aerials. 4 frames to be exact. It may not seem like much but it can make a big difference when you hit someones shield as for what punish options they have or don't have.
Depends on how fast you're falling. It can be 2 or 4 frames.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Depends on how fast you're falling. It can be 2 or 4 frames.
How do you get the soft landing on the bair? I've only ever been able to get a hard landing when autocancelling it, unless I'm misunderstanding something here. Soft landing animation is like the one you get from an empty shorthop no? And hard landing is the one where Falcon kinda "crouches" as he lands? I always get the latter when I autocancel bair.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
How do you get the soft landing on the bair? I've only ever been able to get a hard landing when autocancelling it, unless I'm misunderstanding something here. Soft landing animation is like the one you get from an empty shorthop no? And hard landing is the one where Falcon kinda "crouches" as he lands? I always get the latter when I autocancel bair.
I haven't really looked into it but you could be right. From my understanding soft land happens when you hit the ground at a non-fast falled speed. Butttttttttttt iunno.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I haven't really looked into it but you could be right. From my understanding soft land happens when you hit the ground at a non-fast falled speed. Butttttttttttt iunno.
In my frame testing I couldn't get the soft landing, it was always 4 frames. Still very very good lol; perfect bair is only -7 on OOS punish with hard landing! That's just about unpunishable for most characters when you account for shield push if you space it right. Landing uair is a similar story, it's actually even better in an ideal situation, -5 although the range isn't as good and you have to throw it out close tot he ground to get that.

But lol if you can get the soft landing on bair and hit on frame 10. -5 bair sweetspot would be incredible.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
My friends and I are opting to switch things up and allow customs for our monthly not competitive rules tournament. (We intentionally made it where the less experienced players can use double teams and get lucky in others ways to take the upper guys out. This is met to be fun for us, not a true who is the best type tournament as the pro scene rightfully aims for)

Will be single elimination.

Will have either 3 or 4 people per bracket.

Items will be on.

All levels are a possibility.

What custom set do you guys think I should go with under those circumstances?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If it's for fun more than for competition you probably want to make sets that fit a theme more than a strategy.
Like a fast Falcon with Falcon Punch 2, Raptor Boost 3 and Falcon kick 2 (I don't know the custom up Bs) or a slow hard hitting one with Falcon punch 3, RB 2 and Falcon Kick 3.

And if you want to be casual friendly don't call your sets 2132 or so, give them cool names instead.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
If it's for fun more than for competition you probably want to make sets that fit a theme more than a strategy.
Like a fast Falcon with Falcon Punch 2, Raptor Boost 3 and Falcon kick 2 (I don't know the custom up Bs) or a slow hard hitting one with Falcon punch 3, RB 2 and Falcon Kick 3.

And if you want to be casual friendly don't call your sets 2132 or so, give them cool names instead.

The rule set was made to be something that allows the less experienced chances to win... at the same time... I want to win every time I play.

I am thinking the Up Special (Uspecial? Is that terminology a thing?) that gives more recovery...l but that would backfire if a walk off stage is chosen... which some of the players really seem to like.

I am unsure about normal or heavy raptor boost... it isn't like Falcon is lacking in KO power but can't have to much of that either can we?

Everyone is going to be allowed to create a set but I have mandated the number code be on there for reference.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
How does Falcon dash and then instantly turnaround and dash in the other direction? I notice in Fatality videos that when he turns around you it's lagless and you can't even see the pivot animation. How?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I saw someone in a smash facebook group say Falcon was nerfed...

Is this true? Did the patch (which I don't yet have) change him at all?

Shade.

Smash Cadet
How does Falcon dash and then instantly turnaround and dash in the other direction? I notice in Fatality videos that when he turns around you it's lagless and you can't even see the pivot animation. How?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISSQnPoio0

I saw someone in a smash facebook group say Falcon was nerfed...

Is this true? Did the patch (which I don't yet have) change him at all?
Up air percentage and knockback decreased noticeably. Also no more sliding off the edge with dash grab, and occasionally when dash grabbed to the edge, pummel straight-up does not work.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISSQnPoio0

Up air percentage and knockback decreased noticeably. Also no more sliding off the edge with dash grab, and occasionally when dash grabbed to the edge, pummel straight-up does not work.

Sheesh... soon as I start to learn a character nerf my best kill move...

I really don't want to switch mains again... but that is a pretty major nerf.

I get Falcon was a good character... but he already had enough weaknesses to balance his kill power.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
No offense but if you choose your main based on the latest patch notes you're literally worse than ZeRo. Plus that nerf doesn't chhange Falcon's playstyle at all and you can still kill with Uair, just later.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
No offense but if you choose your main based on the latest patch notes you're literally worse than ZeRo. Plus that nerf doesn't chhange Falcon's playstyle at all and you can still kill with Uair, just later.
Later means more chances to get killed.

I am still learning Falcon... best killing I have been able to do is a sweetspot Uair.

Hopefully I will get good enough at other kills where my friends don't pwn me because of this nerf...

I picked Falcon because he gives me a good shot to win with the rules my friends and I play under... losing a key piece of that may end up being reason to change but we shall see.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Try Bair, it kills earlier, deals more damage and is safer on shield.
Yea been practicing with that... but attacks from below general are much more effective. Playing the side game is iffy unless you know all the priorities of your opponent... which I will never have the time to learn.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
It's a different story in your head my friend.
If an opponent adapted to your gameplay and stopped getting hit by your Uairs during a match what would you do ?

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Is there anyone who hard-counters Cap? Or at least is there a way to avoid his dash grab? I absolutely cannot handle Captain Falcon.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Is there anyone who hard-counters Cap? Or at least is there a way to avoid his dash grab? I absolutely cannot handle Captain Falcon.
Pikachu, Pikachu, Kirby, and Pikachu. Have I mentioned how much I hate fighting Pikachu? Honestly there is no character that completely counters Falcon, but small characters can get under a lot of falcon's attacks, including his dash grab. Pikachu is especially tough because he has a projectile, the speed to keep up with Falcon, and a lot of his attacks can't be punished by dash grab, or even jab. However, if you try to beat a character by switching what you play as you will never win. A good player can play around a bad matchup. You should focus on mastering a character you love to play, instead of trying work on a bunch of different ones. Oh, and you can beat dash grab by either beating it with an attack or spot dodging.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
However, if you try to beat a character by switching what you play as you will never win. A good player can play around a bad matchup. You should focus on mastering a character you love to play, instead of trying work on a bunch of different ones.
Quoting for truth.
It's much more important to focus on getting good basics and good mechanics than relying on character gimmicks. If you get beaten by a character's single move then the problem is not your main.

Last edited:

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I'm getting really good with Charizard. It's just that my jabs don't always go out in time, and I don't have a reliable way of practicing the MU (all I have is a 3DS with sub-par wifi). Is an amiibo a good idea for practicing dash grab defense (assuming I can train it to use dash grab like a human player)?

Eureka

Smash Ace
I'm getting really good with Charizard. It's just that my jabs don't always go out in time, and I don't have a reliable way of practicing the MU (all I have is a 3DS with sub-par wifi). Is an amiibo a good idea for practicing dash grab defense (assuming I can train it to use dash grab like a human player)?
No, CPU's are generally not good training partners, even if you try to train an amiibo to only dash grab it will still do other things. Add into the fact that CPU's have inhuman reaction times and set patterns and it all doesn't help much for training. Plus all the time spend training the amiibo could be spent training yourself. Thankfully, there are plenty of resources here on Smashboards that can probably help you out. I'm still not to familiar with the forums though, so I don't know where they all are, anyone here have directions?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
My crappy wi-fi really limits my options.
Lag is an issue with all games... but such a fast paced game like smash it is worse.

I noticed a while back that this sites rankings are different for online and offline.. I see why. The game is very different...

Not saying skills don't transfer... but I strongly suspect (but don't know) that it needs to be approached very differently.

Top Bottom