• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
OMG Plz Sakurai if you are reading this please remove the laser lag. If I can't SHL with Falco anymore it would be the biggest dissapointment. His gun will be completely useless.

Hopefully he gets the UpB out of illusion treatment as well bcuz his recovery is gabage.

I would of loved to see krystal in ssb4, but I'm hype MY BOY FALCO IS BACK!!!!!! (I had some doubt tbh...)
I've been playing Falco since I first unlocked him in melee and he is the character I can show off and be myself (sorry Sheik I'm nostalgia biased) He is definitely a great addition to the roster
Hopefully she becomes a DLC. Team starfox needs a female rep like Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm just noticing this! Although we were also certain of Falco's return, it's nice to see it finally official T~T

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Falco i back i see him in a stream playing just now vs pacman and 2 others. Rejoice guys.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Ahh his Side be has a little attack animation at the end.

Fsmash seems buffed at the cost of Usmash having significant ending lag.
I wouldn't say significant lag but it's definitely noticeable.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I had to say, i was getting worried one of my favorite characters from the series wasnt going to make it back. But with all the streams last night it was confirmed that Mr. Lombardi is back at it again. After reading and watching all the news being released from japan players, who else got you excited to see their return? (or first appearance)

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
Eh, I'd rather have Wolf. More worthy as a character, unique moveset, and I'd love to see some of his meme-worth lines included.

But more returning veterans is always good.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
We already knew he was back cause of the leak.
The leak was just that, a leak. Some people, like me, dont trust leaks because most of the time they are fake. so to actually see him made me happy.

Eh, I'd rather have Wolf. More worthy as a character, unique moveset, and I'd love to see some of his meme-worth lines included.

But more returning veterans is always good.
was never a fan of wolf, although i liked that he wasnt just another clone of fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm happy Wario is back, despite not playing him much at all he's just too iconic to be cut

Also really happy Ness is back and I hope Lucas shows up.

I'm really more happy about the newcomers though, they all look fantastic

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Well I'm happy Wario is back, despite not playing him much at all he's just too iconic to be cut

Also really happy Ness is back and I hope Lucas shows up.

I'm really more happy about the newcomers though, they all look fantastic
It wouldnt feel like smash without Ness. even though i never play him. All the newcomers are awesome and im super excited!

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
I hope Issac gets confirmed.

And for the record the leak was real. Like I said.

And I agree @ HdTyvek HdTyvek Ness is a veteran. One of the original 12. He'd be missed if he wasn't in.

Last edited:

E.K

Smash Rookie
They gave new Final Smashes to Pit, Dedede and Kirby. They better give Falco his Arwing.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
They gave new Final Smashes to Pit, Dedede and Kirby. They better give Falco his Arwing.
Well all those are "Sakurais babies", peach still has her useless, counterproductive FS... :/

Theberzerker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-0803-5110
Any frame-nerd that can compare some of his moves to his Brawl counterpart? It felt as if his Jab was significantly slower :/
Does his upsmash have 2 hitboxes now?

His Fair looked better from what I saw, Utilt looked the same.
What is going to make or break falco in this build is if he has the same improved recovery as Fox or not.

I'm having a cold so I would be really glad if someone could lighten up my day with some more detailed info about him :D

xTeru

Smash Cadet
I just saw him in a japanese stream and it looks like he got a lot of lag on lasers after landing now but I'm not sure, only saw the CPU use it once

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Feel free to discuss any move set observations, Q&A and other game play discussions for Falco in Smash4: 3DS.

Not 100% sure on his unlock: likely classic mode with Fox.

We see his moveset mostly maintaining its Brawl form.
Jab finisher is similar to his first strike, hits upwards a bit and has soso knockback it seems.
Shine/Down-B is still his Brawl incarnation, but it doesn't seem to "angle"/get kicked downwards (in the air), but rather completely horizontal (like ZSS' Side-B)
Full Hop laser didn't seem to lag, but not sure about any other particulars.

Yet to see a confirmation of his final smash actually, but we'll see soon enough~

shackamaxon

Smash Rookie
It's very easy to give Falco a new final smash revolving around the Arwing - Either give him something like Snake's (RIP) final smash using a first person shooter perspective inside an Arwing to zap other fighters, or give him an Arwing that flies around the screen with laser-shooting capabilities, just like the ones seen on the recurring Corneria stage. I always thought that if they'd given him the latter in Brawl, and given Wolf the same final smash but with a Wolfen instead of an Arwing (with a recolor and altered speed and power), Brawl would be much better off. Fox with a Landmaster, Falco with an Arwing, and Wolf with a Wolfen - We'd still have a cloned final smash, but it would feel different enough, would suit the characters better, and would have been so much easier to swallow than three afterthought Landmasters.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Two questions:

1. Has Falco's :GCR::GCB: changed, as in, does it put Falco in helpless or no?

2. Does he have a new F.S. or no?

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman

FALCO'S MOVES! (with GIFs! ♦VERSION 2.1.04♦ )

Dash Attack (9 - 6%):
♦ It's a long dash attack! A pretty good one too, just... don't hit your opponents shield with it.
♦ Initial hitbox sends at a ~70° angle. Decent set-up into his aerials, but it's not guaranteed. 9%.
♦ Starts to KO around 190%, but you shouldn't let your opponents live that long. You're not Pikachu.
♦ Late hit has lower knockback at a ~30° angle. 6%.

Jab Combo (3 + 2%) > (~1%) > (3%):
♦ Instantaneous with good range and decent damage. Use it lots.
♦ It's possible to miss if an opponent is too close to you, as Falco leans forward during this attack.
♦ Using a solo initial hit can be useful depending on your opponents reaction. Shield? Grab. Jump? Aerial.
♦ Starts to KO around... why is your opponent still alive? ~320%.

Down Tilt (12 - 9%):
♦ Very fast with little ending lag. Slight disjoint at the end of his tail, so it has good range.
♦ Deals more damage and knockback the closer your opponent is.
♦ Surprisingly powerful when close to Falco. Expect KO's starting around 120%.
♦ Another decent set-up into aerials!

Up Tilt (9%):
♦ An up-tilt! It covers a decent arch above you, and can even hit opponents in-front of you! A nice anti-air.
♦ You can sorta juggle opponents with it at low percent. Decent combo potential into his aerials.
♦ KO's at like 160% or something!

Forward Tilt (9%):
♦ Falco leans in and quickly kicks stuff. A lot of range thanks to his long legs. Can be angled.
♦ It's very fast with strict horizontal knockback. I like using it to create space whilst looking cool.
♦ Don't expecting it to kill unless your opponent is above 200%.

Forward Smash (15 - 10%):
♦ It's a lot stronger closer to Falco. Very powerful.
♦ While it has a noticeable amount of start-up and ending lag, it's not too bad.
♦ KO's at like 110%. I mostly use this to punish.

Down Smash (15 - 12%):
♦ Slightly more range behind Falco.
♦ It's really fast, with good power at a nasty trajectory. Effective against roll spam!
♦ Both his legs have equal power, unlike most down-smashes in Smash 4.
♦ Hitting an opponent with Falco's body will send them up slightly. It's a weird sour-spot.
♦ KO's at like 130%, although it can KO much earlier if your opponent has a poor recovery.

Up Smash (16%):
♦ Falco does a stylish, pink covered back flip. It hits twice and appears to have no sour-spot either.
♦ It'll KO around 120%.

Neutral Aerial (12%):
♦ It's like an aerial version of your jab flurry.
♦ Ending it early (by landing) can be useful depending on your opponents reaction. Maybe a grab...
♦ It has about as much KO power as forward-tilt.

Forward Aerial (8%) (2%):
♦ This move is very interesting thanks to Smash 4's reaction to fast-falling multi-hit aerials; using this method off-stage will drag opponents down with you. Destroys any character with bad recovery.
♦ Lasts a relatively long time to cover air-dodges, and will start KO'ing around 140-160%.
♦ Falco lands really awkwardly, so it has a lot of landing lag. There is a landing hitbox which is lovely.

Down Aerial (13 - 8%):
♦ Uh... it makes a "pshwii!" sound when you hit the meteor smash.
♦ You look cool when you kill someone with it.
♦ Noticeable landing lag and start-up lag. Yeah yeah.

Back Aerial (13 - 7%):
♦ Instantaneous. Virtually no landing lag. Comparable to his forward-smash in power. Okay Falco.
♦ The powerful hitbox is extremely shy, and only lasts for like 1 frame. Afterwards is a weak 7% hit.
♦ KO's around 110%.

Up Aerial (11%):
♦ Okay, what's the deal with that body hitbox that has no knockback? It still does 11% too. Odd.
♦ Otherwise, it's got some decent power to it. It has very little landing lag which is nice.
♦ Comparable to up-tilt in KO power. It can KO far earlier if you can hit someone near the ceiling.

Neutral Special (3%):
♦ Short hop laser automatically transitions into a standing laser state.
♦ It has transcendent priority, combined with being a projectile and forcing stun... it really annoys people.

Forward Special (7%):
♦ Grounded Phantasm will stop you at the edge. Aerial Phantasm no longer leaves you helpless!
♦ You can't cancel the Phantasm early. You're stuck with its full length.
♦ It's a relatively weak meteor smash against aerial opponents.
♦ For offense, it's better to use it as soon as you lift the ground. You'll suffer less lag.
♦ This move combos into aerials very nicely.

Down Special (5%):
♦ Falco kicks out his Reflector, covering a huge area in-front with a disjointed hitbox.
♦ Falco's way of telling someone to calm down. It's great against aggressive approaches.
♦ Using it in the air allows you to control your momentum and retreat it.
♦ It can cause tripping at low percent.
♦ Oh yeah, it reflects stuff!

Up Special:
♦ Covers a great distance! Combined with Phantasm and wall-jumps your recovery is very respectable.
♦ You'll go helpless after the move has ended. Your air-speed goes terrible while falling too.
♦ It appears to auto sweet-spot the ledge whenever, so that's nice.

Last edited:

E.K

Smash Rookie
Or they could make him do the crash landing thing from Assault (Wanted to link the video, but apperantly I haven't posted enough yet. But it is called "Fichina: Falco Arrives"). There is a ton of options for what the Arwing could do, but I'm pretty sure they gave him the landmaster.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Falco Dair now has obvious startup. So spiking with it is going to be tougher than in Brawl.

Top Bottom