• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
But it has a different design from the one in her Final Smash. Would it really be that hard to change it?
Anyways this sin't the Lucina topic.
Well, one thing leads to another.

Anyway I said this before and I'll say it again. SSB4 to me seems like a "what Brawl should have been" or a "fix-it". I don't expect characters to be changed unless it's necessary like Bowser being more goofy and viable, Ganondorf being better balanced, Link being faster, etc. I am, disappointed, however, with some thing like newcomers being clones or things like Falco using a Landmaster for his Final Smash or Wolf not being in. Does the game look good and smooth? Hell yeah. It lacks the clunkiness Brawl had and it appears every character is viable and gameplay can be played competitively or for fun with anyone.

SSB5, however, will be or should be its own beast. SSB4 is more of a redemption or reintroduction.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Jab has that pop-up from melee, but brawls range. That's good.

He goes all out on F-tilt
image.jpg

Has a new D-tilt, kinda like a sweep. Not sure if it pops up.
EDIT: D-tilt pops people straight up.

Side-B has a cool new animation.

Hyped for my man falco!

Hyped for falco, and I like how his art work mirrors fox's.

Still sad about wolf tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
Falco looks way better than Fox in this game

Probably will second him.

EDIT: Are the lasers facing landing lag in this game?
Can we get some information on this? very curious about the landing lag of the laser ever since I played fox during smashfest

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
nerf stick for falco

forget shff double laser. he cant even auto cancel ONE!

side b is much slower

dair has a start up now

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
What?
Side-B looks faster to me....
it is fast but it has landing lag leaving him vulnerable at the end of it

imo from wat ive seen falco's NERFS: short hop lasers landing lag, Dair has startup and more landing lag off of a short hop, Side B has more recovery at the end of the illusion, and his up smash has some recovery frames added to it at the end of the animation. BUFFS: Back air has little landing lag and much stronger and Side B enables him for better recovery, he can jump out of his side B at the end of the animation.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I still can't believe he still has that PoS F-air. His D-air and Usmash now have a good amount of lag. It's so depressing.

Also, I hope someone finds a glitch or some way of removing the laser lag.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
he can jump out of his side B at the end of the animation.
Just to be absolutely sure, you mean that he doesn't go into special fall and it doesn't cost you your jump, correct? For a second I thought you meant it could be jump canceled.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
Just to be absolutely sure, you mean that he doesn't go into special fall and it doesn't cost you your jump, correct? For a second I thought you meant it could be jump canceled.
sorry if i sounded misleading he doesnt have that special fall after its done, its not jump cancellable only at the end of the animation which can lead to other stuff

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
Falco's Usmash looks even more like a Flash Kick than Fox's XD.

Do his lasers seem... bigger?
from what ive seen lasers seem useless for falco in this game unless the character is offstage, there are to many recovery frames added to his laser so its impossible to short hop laser or double laser and be safe :(

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
First off, offstage would mean they are far from useless. Secondly, they're not that bad. They aren't the godly stage control tool they were in the last two games, but they're good. Compare it more to Wolf's laser without the bayonette.

Secondly, I think this character CAN work. He still struggles to kill and DThrow seems like garbage. BThrow still seems bad, but Uthrow and Fthrow seem solid. His jab is still amazing. His nair is still amazing, even moreso without much SDI. His Bair is still good. His Dair is good enough, although it's worse.

His recovery is helped immensely by mechanics changes.

Time will tell on this character, but I can see him being a good character with a high skill cap based on the limited time I've had with him today. He just seems to be working so much harder than everyone else, but then again, what else is new?

EDIT: Also, USmash seems booty cheeks unless I can't find the sweetspot in multiple matches worth of trying.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Not feelin good about him. His bread and butter moves have been altered, essentially.

That laser nerf :( damn

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Falco's dash attack still looks solid. Having a Brawl Side B in a game with combos seems inherently unfair, especially as spikes bounces you up now and from what I've seen auto cancel lag on it is maybe larger but not noticeable so.

I'm seeing dash attack > full hop lasers, his still great ground speed, fast fall and myriad of hard/long range landing punishment tools that just knock them straight back up.

I think, that because lasers are still infinite range basically and fast enough to come out, Falco will be able to use it to force shields and still have some potency against the long range gods (Rosalina / Palutena / etc) will mean he'll likely have a good match up spread and IMO still in the high tier-ish area.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Falco can now Uthrow > Uair. And Uair seems like a pretty good move now.

I think I saw Fair KO an offstage opponent around 80-ish. Not outright, but it had enough knockback to make the recovery impossible.

The nerfs are disappointing, but after seeing TKBreezy so some cool stuff with Falco on the VGBC stream, I still have hope for the bird.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Falco's dair looks like it was intentionally designed to bait out air dodges.

Everyones saying it's bad because they're only looking at it from an approaching or end lag view.

Falco's Bair sweetspot can kill medium weight characters at 80%

Forward Smash has great kill potential.

Up Air strings.

Back Throw and Up Throw laser segments can kill at high enough percents.

Falco's recovery is now godlike due to new edge mechanics and Side B not putting you in freefall.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i would really love to find out if anyone has found out all of falcos custom moves out yet im actualy really anxious to see wat they are

capn'

Smash Rookie
Ouch, the SHFFL and Dair nerfs are really going to cramp Falco's style this time around. That being said, I think that the buffs to his recovery are going to be a god send, especially with how the off ledge game is shaping up with most characters.

We'll see, it's still early maybe some tech is buried deep down that will let him knock out that lag on his spike and pewpew. I think the bird's looking great, can't wait to hit the air.

Last edited:

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Falco's dair looks like it was intentionally designed to bait out air dodges.

Everyones saying it's bad because they're only looking at it from an approaching or end lag view.

Falco's Bair sweetspot can kill medium weight characters at 80%

Forward Smash has great kill potential.

Up Air strings.

Back Throw and Up Throw laser segments can kill at high enough percents.

Falco's recovery is now godlike due to new edge mechanics and Side B not putting you in freefall.
Does falco's B-air still have a lingering hit-box?

I missed all the streams -.-

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I need to find a Falco main to play Doubles with my Fox online.

Congrats on the return, guys. I'm pretty upset Wolf got cut, so I might start playing Falcofor another Spacie to play.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Does falco's B-air still have a lingering hit-box?

I missed all the streams -.-
It's start up is longer than Falcons dair and has horrendous landing lag. You can't use it like you would in either Melee or Brawl.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I unlocked his Laser3. It turns it into a very rapid-fire, no-stun version, like Fox's. 2% per shot, you can get two out in a single SH. Doesn't land cancel, so no SHDL shenanigans.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Some random things from the latest streams.
Down Aerial
- Long start-up animation.
- Landing lag increased.

Back Aerial
+ Extra horizontal reach?
~ Can use twice in one full-hop. Has little landing lag.
~ Lost the lingering, weak hit-box of his old back aerial?

Forward Smash
~ Powerful. It seems unchanged.

Up Smash
~ Looks stronger. Hits twice. Has a lot of ending lag.

Dash Attack
~ Surprising amount of knockback (may have been because of 1P Mode).

Jab
+ Transitions into a finishing attack with good knockback.

Up Special
~ Not entirely sure if it covers more distance than Brawl.
His hit boxes seem better

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
can anyone confirm that backthrow is a kill move?

also the momentum capture on his upb seems weird. idk.

pls quote this post if u have an answer so i get an alert thingy huns <3

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Yeah D-air got nerfed to the darkest pits of Tartarus, but I was curious about his new back-air. Does it still act like a sex-kick?
Naw not a sex kick but it's sweet spot can kill at 80% which is very low for Smash 4. People live well past 150% here

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Kill move.
At a hell of a percent. I can look into it in a minute, but I'm pretty sure it's 180 at least.

However, I just wanted to confirm for people that there is no bull**** RCO lag.

EDIT: Also, DownB 3! It has slightly more lag than DownB 1 and it hits for 10ish damage. However, it kills at like 150, which is standardish. It also still reflects.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I've seen back throw lasers kill medium weights at 130% It gave the black lightning and all.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
It looks like his fsmash tip actually got a bit of a buff (it hits stronger than rather like Roy's sourspot tip...)

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I unlocked his Laser3. It turns it into a very rapid-fire, no-stun version, like Fox's. 2% per shot, you can get two out in a single SH. Doesn't land cancel, so no SHDL shenanigans.
That's great to hear! What's Laser2? Any news on his other custom specials?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It seems to me that Falco pretty much still has his bread and butter in him, maybe even better than Fox.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Geez people sure can get pessimistic around here huh? :p How about we wait a little longer till the metagame actually develops?
Considering what goes into Falcon Punch™. I'd be worried about Falco and scared of Captain Falcon. :p

Fun fact: Falco's not actually based on a falcon, but a pheasant instead.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Bair is different, but still amazing. You haven't seen all the alt lasers. Jab and nair are still godlike. You can UpB out of SideB.

Try not to be so gloom and doom. I keep telling people not to jump to conclusions, but rarely has it been telling people not to be so negative.

Top Bottom