• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Thing is: Lucas his game was not released, so Ness wasn't replaced. And Melee was just the second game, so if Ness was cut from it BACK THEN, it wouldn't have been a huge problem. And you'd say Ness and Jigglypuff are less safe than Sheik?

Ganondorf WAS planned for Melee, but they didn't have enough time to make him unique, so they dropped him early on, and then revived the idea when it was noted he could be a C.Falcon clone.

I made an Impa thread. Two times, but this damn server wouldn't keep me logged in so I lost ALL the text I wrote, twice, so I got discouraged... :glare:

Anyway, Mewtwo is a boss.
1. I'd say Ness, Jigglypuff, and Sheik are about the same. Not COMPLETELY safe like the likes of Pikachu or Link, but shouldn't really expect them to leave anytime soon.
2. No, he wasn't. All the clones were afterthoughts. If Sakurai had his original plan, we would've not had the clones and have Dedede in their place.
3. Lol, not even Smashboards itself wants an Impa thread. :troll: But seriously, do what I do; type up the thread on something like Word, then copy and paste it. That way, if it logs you out, you still have your text to try again later.

As for Mewtwo, Dan Green all the way. :awesome:

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Still way better than his HGSS sprite........
/shudder

Seriously, who in GAME FREAK thought it would be a good idea to go from this

...to this?

I don't think it's just nostalgia telling me the "newer" look for him is abysmal.
You're not wrong, you're definitely right. But you seem to be forgetting GameFreak's Illustrator Studio has over 70 artists. People draw mewtwo differently than one another which varies from one form of media to another at every product; and considering Sakurai's design skills along with the artist doing the smash bros art from Namco; I doubt we'll have any problems

I wouldn't worry about that.

EDIT: The Dream World Artist, whoever that is, is a pretty bad artist. Good god
As for Mewtwo, Dan Green all the way. :awesome:
Does Dan Green have a twitter acc? Maybe we can accidentally get a "leak" out of him sometime next year if he's contacted to do voice work for the western version of the game :troll:

D

Deleted member

Eh, I don't really care about how Mewtwo looks.

He's still bad***.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Every professional artwork composer draws Mewtwo differently. Some of the artworks just depict it to be less threatening, despite of its savage nature.

D

Deleted member

Now if only it could actually use that savage nature to be a component fighter...

:phone:
You're acting as though as Mewtwo has it's own mind and is the way he is in Melee because of his own incompetence.

News flash, pal, it's not the character himself, it's the guy that programmed him in the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I never said any of that though. I am perfectly aware of the fact that video games are nothing but a long string of coding.

But you think a ruthless and powerful Pokemon wouldn't be so atrocious in execution. But then again I guess it doesn't matter in the end since people eat it up anyway.

D

Deleted member

I never said any of that though. I am perfectly aware of the fact that video games are nothing but a long string of coding.

But you think a ruthless and powerful Pokemon wouldn't be so atrocious in execution. But then again I guess it doesn't matter in the end since people eat it up anyway.

God, you're so condescending.
If you've been paying attention AT ALL, you would know that people not only want Mewtwo back, but they want him IMPROVED.

You would think a powerful warlock swordsman wouldn't be copying punches and kicks from a intergalactic space racer, but then again, I guess it doesn't matter in the end since people eat it up anyway. Also, people are too blinded by nostalgia to see that Ganondorf is an embarassement to Smash and he should be cut and stay cut.

^See that? That's what you sound like.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also: Brawl Ganondorf is much weaker than Melee Mewtwo. :rolleyes:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
How important is Kenshin?
He is a warlord and one of 6 to have the ability to partner with a legendary Pokemon...7 if you count a special Wi-Fi mission that allows Hideyoshi to bond with Reshiram.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
So, pretty high up there, then.

Cool. It's nice to see that they're still making Mewtwo prominent and/or treating having him as an important event.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
B-but- He's not relevant and is just an idol for nostalgia blinded people!!!1

Can see why others aren't too fond of Mewtwo's new look from that render, but I don't really have much a problem with it personally, if at all. Doubt that would even be applied to his design in Smash either if he is to return.

Steelia

Smash Champion
B-but- He's not relevant and is just an idol for nostalgia blinded people!!!1
In regards to that, if Mewtwo's somehow not relevant, then there must be a ****ton of blind nostalgic people who didn't get the message.

This reader's choice poll ^ was held back in April of 2011, but it's still recent enough.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You realize I was being sarcastic on that part right?

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Oh, not you, but the people who keep making that argument the last page or two. :b

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually really like the position he's in in his black/ white sprite. He looks dominant, powerful. He knows he's in control

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I sure hope Mewtwo makes it back in. Hey what if Mewtwo's Shadow Ball and Lucario's Aura Sphere were the only 2 projectiles in the game that could not interact with each other. As in if they were shot at the same time, the fighting type move would just pass right through the ghost type move. I wonder how that would affect matches between the 2.

D

Deleted member

Ugh, the text blends in with the background.

IDK if that is me, but Mewtwo's head seems a little too big, but that's me nitpicking. Roy looks awesome, thought.

But that is nice to see, regardless.

Steelia

Smash Champion
It looks like they used the crappier modern look for him, with the bulging forehead and less-menacing eyes... His SSBM imported look is still one of the best looks for him (albeit his fingers are extremely skinny and long for some reason). I like how polished the model is, though. Even if his legs and tail are anorexic as ****. Got to appreciate the effort. Sadly, that probably would be the look we'd see him in if he was in the next SSB. But I'd rather see him in than just as an unlockable forever-loading trophy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's an eye iris concept that I had in mind for Mewtwo...

[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

So even if Mewtwo doesn't exactly have the best looking body, at least its eye irises could be made to be more appealing.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Could somebody please fix those fingers! >:( There are supposed to be big circular endings of and I have never seen such skinny fingers on him. Also his head is largely disproportionate to his body.

Miko

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about the changes that should be made to Mewtwo for SSB4 (assuming he'll return), and i had a thought; since Mewtwo is always seen in the anime and manga fighting opponents in the air, surely his smash-attacks should remain weak as they are in melee, but his aerials should be buffed with a bit more knockback? So that he has better finishers but only when he's in the air... just a thought

and along those lines, perhaps he should be made to be faster in the air? i never liked Mewtwo's mid-air jump in melee, and he always seemed so sluggish for a character that has been seen in a feature length travelling at mad speeds

oh, and being heavier so as to compensate for his large size, of course... and these are all just opinions, i was just wondering what other people might think.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not sure what to say to all that without repeating some of the things I said before, but I'd be all for him getting some aerial buffs, especially with like his back aerial. I had no problem with his mid-air jump before though, and if SSB4 were to have the same kind of slowass gameplay physics that Brawl did, I'd kinda prefer it if his recovery actually remained the same as it was. Otherwise I guess I wouldn't mind him being faster in the air.

Just in case anyone missed this before, and since I don't believe it was brought up in this thread already, what does anyone think about Mewtwo having things like Quick Attack, Mega Punch, etc. like he did in the special Mirage Pokemon episode he was in?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mirage_Pokémon

It could make him more fast and physical in Smash, like his Mirage version. Quick Attack could even be like an interesting aerial move of his (not to be confused with the special move version that Pikachu uses as a recovery).

Steelia

Smash Champion
But Lucario already has Extremespeed (a buffed version of Quick Attack)... and we don't need those two getting compared any more than they already have.

Personally, I'd still love to see more of his SPECIAL powers being used, over his PHYSICAL ones (tail). The mirage Mewtwo was pretty cool, but most of the attacks it used were because it was a mix of many other mirage Pkmn (it was literally a bigger Mew).

I still don't know how I feel about Confusion or Disable, but I still love Teleport and Shadow Ball. Possibly give those two moves an increase in range (and less recoil from tossing SB in the air).

It'd be awesome if Mewtwo could charge his SB with only one hand like in the movie, ultimately being a little bigger than his f-throw SBs in Melee when fully charged, but it'd still have the same amount of devastating power. It'd show just what a powerhouse he is, tossing something so small to deal so much power and knockback.

Like that'd happen, though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah, forgot that Lucario had Extreme Speed, and I guess the last thing we want is to make them more comparable.

If we're talking special, I wouldn't mind Mewtwo just having all special-based Pokemon techniques in Smash for that matter, because of how godly his special attack is in the PKMN metagame, but like that'd happen. Because of that, I was just trying to think of what would be some good physical moves for him as well, ones that wouldn't be as weak as some of the ones he had in Melee. I suppose there's still Iron Tail or something to that effect for him. That would be cool actually.

And I agree on everything else said, however unlikely that Shadow Ball idea were to happen. :( Aside from that and Psystrike, maybe it could have Aura Sphere Electro Ball like the one we got in the B/W wi-fi event starts out with.

Perhaps I'm just digging at the bottom of the barrel now.

Miko

Smash Cadet
In response to giving Mewtwo his mirage attacks, i don't think that would be the best idea, particularly from Sakurai's perspective - Mewtwo can't learn those attacks, so it doesn't make sense for his Smash incarnate to be able to use them (and i doubt Game Freak would be too happy with a misrepresentation of one of their greatest creations)

and as for having only special-based attacks for his Pokemon moves, i'm all for that; but again, it would be unfair to represent Mewtwo as being physically incapable, seeing as [everybody just loves to forget that] his base Attack in the games is 110, which is more than beastly; nothing in comparison to his base 154 Sp.Attack, but Mewtwo is by no means weak in the physical sense - this reminds me, Mewtwo's base speed is 130, so if anything he should be fairly faster than his smash attacks are strong... if that makes any sense whatsoever?

Unfortunately, a proper representation of Mewtwo in any Smash game would drop him straight into God-tier (which is where he should be, in all fairness), and he would be less fun to play if there wasn't much of a challenge to using him :( but here's what i would think a decent Mewtwo would be like (VERY basically):

Size: Large
Weight: Heavy
Speed: Fast, faster in air than on ground
Jumps: not sure really...
Fall: Slow, potentially with a levitate like Peach has
Neutral A: Weak
Smashes: Weak
Tilts: Weak, and not very much knockback
Nair: same as Melee
Other Aerials: decent killers
Neutral B: same as Melee, longer range fully charged and perhaps faster
Up B: same as Melee
Side B: Psycho Cut, or something along those lines - i like the idea of Mewtwo having a decent projectile other than his Neutral B
Down B: what about the psychic tornado thing he does in the manga? He can't move while he's in it, but he can only be reached from the top? Just another idea
Final Smash: as tempted as i am to say "Psystrike with a spoon!", which would be friggin awesome, i would LOVE to see the big explosion thing he does in the movies whenever he needs to get rid of Team Rocket; it wouldn't have to be as overpowered as it was in the movies, but it would be so cool to be able to do that in a smash game

also, i liked his rolls in Melee, and his ground-dodge should be probably be quite slow since he's an aerial character, but as much as i thought his airdodge was awesome in Melee i think it would be even cooler if Mewtwo didn't have an airdodge (since he has a similar Up Special anyway), but could make a shield in midair like in the films; the shield could be broken of course, in which case he'd tumble to the ground and then get his stun, but he'd also lose his airdodge so it shouldn't be too broken if at all? Again, just another thought.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In terms of Mewtwo's stat attributes, they should probably go as follows...

Physical Offense: 6/10
Magic Offense: 8/10
Defensive Strength: 7/10
Ground Speed: == Mario
Running Speed: == Meta Knight
Jump Height: == Lucario
Mid-air Jump Height: 10/10
Air Speed: == Wario
Falling Speed: == Yoshi
Recovery: 9/10
Size: == Ganondorf
Weight: 20/26 (based on my weight scale from here)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In response to giving Mewtwo his mirage attacks, i don't think that would be the best idea, particularly from Sakurai's perspective - Mewtwo can't learn those attacks, so it doesn't make sense for his Smash incarnate to be able to use them (and i doubt Game Freak would be too happy with a misrepresentation of one of their greatest creations)
Mewtwo can't learn Teleport in any of the Pokemon games either, yet he was given it as a special in Melee. Sakurai gives Pokemon some moves they normally can't learn on plenty occasion for that matter, like the Rayquaza boss having Dig, and other things.

And yeah, I know Mewtwo's no joke in the physical stat department despite being pretty inferior compared to his special attack. That's why I was trying to think of some more physical things for him that he didn't already have in Melee. Iron Tail's a good start and I'm sure there be plenty others he could have in Smash.

I think his tilts should actually be stronger or have some more knockback, but other than that, I agree with everything else you said.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
You would have Mewtwo be the same weight as... Luigi?

EDIT: Don't you already have Mewtwo on that scale as 13? Your post has thoroughly confused me.
On that scale, I believe Mewtwo's weight is based on his Melee weight, which is 13 according to that scale. M&SG wants his weight to be increased to 20.

Miko

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo can't learn Teleport in any of the Pokemon games either, yet he was given it as a special in Melee. Sakurai gives Pokemon some moves they normally can't learn on plenty occasion for that matter, like the Rayquaza boss having Dig, and other things.
Mewtwo can learn Teleport via TM in generation 1 - it was something i was going to mention, but i thought mentioning something which wasn't an issue might make my post even more confusing >.< but yes, i didn't like the whole 'Rayquaza used dig' thing, but that doesn't mean we can't try and keep Mewtwo canon :S
But i very much agree about doing more with Mewtwo's tail; it's a large part of his character, and you could get very good range with it so it seems very sensible to be incorporating it into more physical moves and smashes (unless one considers using a spoon instead, but then that would still be about the same range?). And i would say strong tilts, but i fear our hypothetical Mewtwo becoming OP (i'd rather play a sub-par Mewtwo than a god-tier one), and also tilts with little knockback lead to more combo-ability (whatever potential for combo-ability there will be in SSB4, which following the trend from 64->Melee->Brawl will be... none v.v)

On that scale, I believe Mewtwo's weight is based on his Melee weight, which is 13 according to that scale. M&SG wants his weight to be increased to 20.
That... makes more sense, but from what i understand he'd be asking to make Mewtwo... lighter? I fear i have completely misunderstood something here... can i use a lack of sleep as an excuse for my slowness?

Steelia

Smash Champion
but yes, i didn't like the whole 'Rayquaza used dig' thing, but that doesn't mean we can't try and keep Mewtwo canon :S
Rayquaza's SSBB entry:

A Sky High Pokémon. It normally resides high up in the ozone layer where it flies endlessly, so it is rarely seen.
And yet he pops out of the water when you fight him in the Subspace Emissary story mode. WTF.

Teleport's pretty tame when compared to the mess that was SSE's Rayquaza.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not only that, but the potential of Teleport mixups is undeniable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom