• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I am also in support of making Mewtwo a heavy considering he's heavier than all non-gigantor characters. He could still be floaty and slow-falling, he just needs to have some meat to him. Mewtwo is huge lol.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
IMO just make Mewtwo a medium weight and have medium speed.

Also make Confusion a proper reflector, as well as having less starting and ending lag. Would be cool now if it could also trip close up opponents.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I would rather him than lucario. don't get me wrong i like lucario but mewtwo to me was better

D

Deleted member

Even though there hasn't been many arguments about it here, I feel this image is perfect for this thread. (And the Lucario thread. And the Zoroark thread.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hmm. Below Falcon, Fox, and (potentially) Sonic, above everyone else in speed? Sounds fitting enough for him, he's certainly faster than Pikachu at least. Falcon's a strong & fast character, why couldn't Mewtwo be one? Instead of making him the stereotypical slow, powerful villainous character. |:
Yeah, I don't think that will work with Mewtwo. He can have a fast air dodge and a fast up B, but he should still walk slow. Not as slow as Melee, but still fairly slow.

JordantheGiant

Smash Cadet
The irony of all this is that Pichu's base speed is 60, but it outruns Mewtwo in Melee.

Anyway, Mewtwo's 130 base speed in the RPGs doesn't mean that it should be a fast character. After all, Charizard is a sluggish walker in Brawl. But I do think that Mewtwo's running speed should get a buff.
If only a slight buff. I'm more concerned about his weight. And yea just because Mewtwo has some of the best stats in Pokemon doesn't mean he should be OP in smash.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
there's ALWAYS an "OP" character or characters in fighting games, esp smash

64: Isia Pikachu (tho it's not as bad in that game, the balance is pretty good)

Melee: Fox (tho difficult to preform at a sufficent level), Falco

Brawl: Metaknight

tell me that Mewtwo being OP does not make more sense than the characters listed above

:phone:

D

Deleted member

That would imply that an "OP" character is intentional. Which it isn't.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mewtwo being weak in Melee was strange, which is part of the reason why people stopped playing him. Because he does seem like he would be very powerful. I mean, Mewtwo doesn't need to be OP, high tier, or even average, but he does need to emit that sense of raw power, control, and pure psychic mastery.

@ Shadow Huan
1. The balance in Smash 64 isn't that good. Pikachu destroys every character. It makes Meta Knight look balanced. Meta Knight is really OP; Pikachu is beyond broken.
2. Snake isn't a lesser degree of Meta Knight. That would be Olimar (or alternatively, Diddy Kong).
3. The game developers don't try to intentionally make a character "OP" or broken.
4. There are loads of OP/broken characters in fighting games not called smash brothers. In fact, smash bros. is relatively tame in terms of "broken" characters.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^agreed. we still got miles to go before we approach Gill, Itachi, or Ivan Ooze level of broken.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Mewtwo being weak in Melee was strange, which is part of the reason why people stopped playing him. Because he does seem like he would be very powerful. I mean, Mewtwo doesn't need to be OP, high tier, or even average, but he does need to emit that sense of raw power, control, and pure psychic mastery.
Way to strike the nail on the head.

For someone that can fire telepathic blast from anywhere, lift objects with his mind, AND shows great physical strength they reaaally didn't show it in his moveset. I hope in the next game they give mewtwo a better keepaway game. Lotsa projectiles and large psychic hitbox's would be nice.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
he needs to do more than emit those things, he needs to USE them... Melee Mewtwo has the additude and some of the coolest looking moves and throws in the game, but has no way to back up the "i'm so powerful" way that he behaves lol

@ Shadow Huan
1. The balance in Smash 64 isn't that good. Pikachu destroys every character. It makes Meta Knight look balanced. Meta Knight is really OP; Pikachu is beyond broken.
2. Snake isn't a lesser degree of Meta Knight. That would be Olimar (or alternatively, Diddy Kong).
3. The game developers don't try to intentionally make a character "OP" or broken.
4. There are loads of OP/broken characters in fighting games not called smash brothers. In fact, smash bros. is relatively tame in terms of "broken" characters.
1: when one or two players can get good enough with the entire cast to circumvent a character being "beyond broken" then perhaps it's not as bad as it seems?

2: noted, i was not aware of the new tier list, i don't pay attention to brawl. edited my post

3: didn't say that i thought they did... what i meant wsas that there's no such thing as a perfectly balanced cast, so there's always going to be a character who is inherently better than the rest. sometimes it's to the degree that they're OP, most of the time not

IMO Mewtwo should have been the best character in Melee, even if it was at a casual level

4: there's a character that i know of in the 1st Blazblue that i understand would shut down a frame perfect melee fox. and i had heard about that character from the power rangers game. besides that, i concede lol

annnnnnnywho, how about some possible moveset discussion?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
2 possible moves:

Barrier: absorbs projectiles and has an added effect(undecided what, lol)

Amnesia: opponent is hit, they temporarily lose the ability to use one of their special moves.

D

Deleted member

That Amnesia idea sounds an awful lot like what Disable does in the games.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I like how Sakurai chose two of Mewtwo's "baby" moves (Disable and Confusion) when going with the moveset... lol

To be honest, Confusion's semi-decent; it can reflect stuff, and it can pull people under ledges like Battlefield. A very weird move. It just needs a pinch less end lag so that M2 doesn't keep getting bair'd after using it, and it NEEDS to have Fox/Falco reflective properties, where projectiles return to sender to deal damage.

Disable... It's okay, it has its uses, but I wouldn't mind if that got replaced, though with what I'm not entirely sure.
/lolrecover

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
To be honest, Confusion's semi-decent; it can reflect stuff, and it can pull people under ledges like Battlefield. A very weird move. It just needs a pinch less end lag so that M2 doesn't keep getting bair'd after using it, and it NEEDS to have Fox/Falco reflective properties, where projectiles return to sender to deal damage.
I'd like to add that engine changes in Brawl would prevent Confusion from pulling through stages, assuming they do what they did with Brawl and take its predecessor and **** it to oblivion, Confusion wouldn't be able to do that anymore. :c

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Psycho Cut and Recover please, Sakurai.
Recover? Eh... Would it function similarly to the way it works in Pokemon games?

In place of Confusion, how about Future Sight for a countering attack? It could retain the projectile reflection (and give it more useful properties) while perhaps also being more useful in close combat.

D

Deleted member

Countering attacks are kind of overdone, and they're likely to be even more in Smash 4 with various newcomers like Krom.

As for Recover, I see it being like Thor's Mighty Speech from Marvel 3, in that Mewtwo slowly recovers health as long as the button is held as did Thor's energy meter.
Or similar to the health recovery from Sonic Battle.
But at the same time, it leaves him wide open as he's healing.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I used Mewtwo a lot in Melee, I liked his playstyle and his powerful throws. However, it was out of place that he was so lightweight, not only it didn't fit him as it is against the canon. Make him heavier and change some special attacks. Here's a special move set for him:

Neutral B: Shadow Ball - Same as Melee, that attack was devastating when fully charged.
Side B: Psycho Cut - Shoots a pink-purple shockwave using his hand, a good medium powered projectile. Similar to Ivysaur's Razor Leaf, but with a fixed horizontal trajectory.
Down B: Future Sight - Mewtwo does a small animation on the spot, a few seconds later, a small explosion would appear on that place. In the time between the usage of the move and the explosion, this move can't be used.
Up B: Teleport - same as Melee, but with a little more distance.

Final Smash: Psystrike - Mewtwo charges energy with his mind and unleashes an array of purple spikes in all directions. These projectiles pass through walls, and supposedly are materialized from Mewtwo's mind.

yani

Smash Lord
As for Recover, I see it being like Thor's Mighty Speech from Marvel 3, in that Mewtwo slowly recovers health as long as the button is held as did Thor's energy meter.
Reminds me of the recovery method in Sonic Battle. I think it could work out. :mewtwo:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Countering attacks are kind of overdone, and they're likely to be even more in Smash 4 with various newcomers like Krom.

while it would be interesting, I don't see it happening, because it would be game breaking for single player modes like All-Star, Boss Battles and Adventure Mode.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i had an old mewtwo moveset that i had posted somewhere a few years ago, it was a little overpowered but i figured it would fit somewhat... maybe i should go digging and find it

D

Deleted member

Simple solution to that; disable the use of Recover while in the Recovery Rooms.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
It seems overpowered outside of that too though. Atleast in free for alls.
I can imagine casuals picking huge stages like new pork city or Hyrule castle, then just running away and healing while no ones paying attention.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Even in casual play, I doubt it sounds as broken as it does... In team battles without the friendly fire, perhaps it could be troublesome.
Still, while it's one of classic Mewtwo's more signature moves, I seriously don't expect him to be given moves more strategically used for defense. He's an offensive powerhouse, and that's what most people moreorless expect to see out of him.

...Then again, there is Teleport...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Melee Mewtwo was based off his anime incarnate most of all, which explains his signature Shadow Ball, and his Confusion attack. IIRC, anime Mewtwo also employed Teleport a bit in his fight against Mew. So strictly for Melee, his moveset made relevant sense.

Mewtwo does learn Teleport through RBY's TM30, and can be traded over to GSC with the move learned.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Melee Mewtwo was based off his anime incarnate most of all,
That explains a lot, therefore if we want him buffed I propose that Smash 4 Mewtwo be based off of:

:shades:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Steelia

Smash Champion
If I'm correct, that spoon is a form of concentrated psychic energy. It can be summoned at will, can be extended to great lengths and cut things like buildings in half, can shrink and be shot as a homing projectile, is effective for close-range combat... among other things.

It'd give him much better reach than his tail, at least. And he doesn't have to be carrying it around the whole time, either. Spoon vs. swords? I think spoon wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom