• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Pools Released

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
A61-E here. Jesse Ewing where you at?

Also, I'm flying out to Vegas Friday morning and arriving at 7, I hope I can get to my match in an hour from the airport. It'd suck to be DQed first round because of time constraints. Fingers crossed on that one. It wouldn't be the end of the world because I could still do friendlies, but I hope I can get there on time.

LLDL

Smash Hero
if you arrive at 7. it'll take you 5-10 minutes to shuttle from the airport to the paris. the only way you'd be late is if your plane delayed.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
just for fun, here's each game and the number of people only signed up for that game (each game is missing like 5% of entries though):

King of Fighters XIII 114/411 (28%)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 432/1240 (35%)
Super Smash Bros Melee 394/664 (59%)
Mortal Kombat 9 22/190 (12%)
Super Street Fighter IV 505/1506 (33%)
Injustice: Gods Among Us 69/557 (12%)
Persona 4 Arena 126/383 (33%)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 134/339 (40%)
Street Fighter X Tekken 36/522 (7%)

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Interesting. That means melee brings something proprietary to EVO: lots of players who wouldn't otherwise be there. Compare with a game like SFxT, if that got shafted, it's unlikely EVO would lose many players. With 3rd highest entrants and 59% exclusivity, from a purely business perspective, melee looks like a game I'd want on the roster.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
i was thinking.....does EVO had to notify Nintendo about this?? ask permissions? something?

well there was the MLG fiasco causing Brawl not to be streamed, but nope
(I think that incidence is one reason many don't trust Nintendo with SSB4)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
just for fun, here's each game and the number of people only signed up for that game (each game is missing like 5% of entries though):

King of Fighters XIII 114/411 (28%)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 432/1240 (35%)
Super Smash Bros Melee 394/664 (59%)
Mortal Kombat 9 22/190 (12%)
Super Street Fighter IV 505/1506 (33%)
Injustice: Gods Among Us 69/557 (12%)
Persona 4 Arena 126/383 (33%)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 134/339 (40%)
Street Fighter X Tekken 36/522 (7%)
Where'd you find this? Link? I find it hilarious cause all the salty games were saying all the other game players probably entered for fun, its great cause a LOT if our players entered other games when you start looking through them.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Where'd you find this? Link? I find it hilarious cause all the salty games were saying all the other game players probably entered for fun, its great cause a LOT if our players entered other games when you start looking through them.

somewhere on something awful, dunno how they got that though

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Well all the information is out there if someone wanted to painstakingly write down every entrants game, I suppose its possible to get a program to graph out all the information but im hesitant to take anything unofficial as fact. Still, it seems believable enough.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
What else is interesting is that the number of players only there for Melee still outnumbers the entrants of Pound 4.

Revven

FrankerZ
well there was the MLG fiasco causing Brawl not to be streamed, but nope
(I think that incidence is one reason many don't trust Nintendo with SSB4)

MLG was just stupid about it, thinking Nintendo would actually be mad if they streamed SSBB. When in truth, Nintendo wouldn't have cared (and they didn't as evidenced by them not responding at all). MLG was playing it safe for no reason at all.

Djent

Smash Champion
There's no way they don't know, but only time will tell if they care. MLG didn't make them give a ****, so I'm not terribly optimistic.

michael_li

Smash Ace

smashmachine

Smash Lord
MLG was just stupid about it, thinking Nintendo would actually be mad if they streamed SSBB. When in truth, Nintendo wouldn't have cared (and they didn't as evidenced by them not responding at all). MLG was playing it safe for no reason at all.
yeah that's true (I mean MLG has continuation sets, proof they're stupid #flawlesslogic)

Revven

FrankerZ
There's no way they don't know, but only time will tell if they care. MLG didn't make them give a ****, so I'm not terribly optimistic.

If all Sakurai is aware of is some small regional Japanese tournaments, I very much doubt Nintendo of Japan is aware of the US scene either. NoA might be a different story but even then I doubt it.

You'd have to be insanely loud on their social media to get them to notice what their competitive community (the one they shun at any chance they get) did this past year and even then I doubt you would get a reaction from them.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
If all Sakurai is aware of is some small regional Japanese tournaments, I very much doubt Nintendo of Japan is aware of the US scene either. NoA might be a different story but even then I doubt it.

You'd have to be insanely loud on their social media to get them to notice what their competitive community (the one they shun at any chance they get) did this past year and even then I doubt you would get a reaction from them.

Not proof by any means but I thought this was funny. If you're not aware he is a translator for Miyamoto and has appeared in several Nintendo Directs with Reggie recently, and I could be mistaken but I believe he was the Mario that played against Sakurai's Megaman at E3.

bill.png

smashmachine

Smash Lord

region-free campaign extension
let's do this

Revven

FrankerZ
Not proof by any means but I thought this was funny. If you're not aware he is a translator for Miyamoto and has appeared in several Nintendo Directs with Reggie recently, and I could be mistaken but I believe he was the Mario that played against Sakurai's Megaman at E3.

It's pretty well known the Nintendo Treehouse group play Melee over Brawl. Doesn't mean much! NoA has like no say in anything (except, apparently, Animal Crossing... but that's the localization team).

Top Bottom