• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Pools Released

smashmachine

Smash Lord
total numbers for ALL the games:
1. SSF4 AE v2012 - 1,601 players
2. UMvC3 - 1,297 players
3. Melee - 696 players
4. Injustice - 582 players
5. SFxT - 545 players
6. KoF13 - 433 players
7. P4A - 400 players
8. TTT2 - 355 players
9. MK9 - 233 players (if the Skullgirls side tournament beats this, I will laugh so hard)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Scar vs. Gimpy fish will be fun to watch.

Poor daze', getting hbox first round.

Vman/Ken would be amazing. he has so much experience in the matchup and I doubt ken has much if any against a Yoshi.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I definitely have money on Ken, but we'll see what Vman can do, should be an exciting potential WFs.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Also to solt: wrong daze, the one you're thinking of hails from canada. In which case, he's uh, dealing with Dr. PP instead.

yeah he's boned

phish-it

Smash Champion
B59 looks like the hardest pool

total numbers for ALL the games:
1. SSF4 AE v2012 - 1,601 players
2. UMvC3 - 1,297 players
3. Melee - 696 players
4. Injustice - 582 players
5. SFxT - 545 players
6. KoF13 - 433 players
7. P4A - 400 players
8. TTT2 - 355 players
9. MK9 - 233 players (if the Skullgirls side tournament beats this, I will laugh so hard)
Seeing the popularity of SFIV AE makes me wish I got into this game.

Skullgirls registration ends on the 5th with 131 entries currently so it's highly unlikely that it'll surpass MK9.

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
So for our Winner's semis we got:

(Mang0 /Axe) VS (PP / Armada / $Hax) on one side

(M2K / Ice ) VS (Hbox / PPU / L3ff3n) on the other side

M2K seems to get the easiest way to semi's from what I have seen.
Please correct me if I made any misstakes in my studies of the brackets.
And Sorry for not including everyone. I only included ppl I think have a chance and if you aren't there but still consider yourself on the same lvl as Axe/Hax/Leffen/PPU/Ice then I'm sorry for not considering you, I just wanted a quick summary of how the high end bracket might look.

Metà

Smash Master
Ice's pool is ridiculous. Ice vs Chad first round, as well as Alan vs Chexr first round.

and D58 still has no one in it! put Alan and Chad there IMO

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
Hi Smash people.

Good news: Many of you are using the feedback tool to help us balance the bracket.
Bad news: Many of you are giving conflicting recommendations.

We have already made many, many changes to the brackets based on your recommendations which I think will dramatically improve the quality of the tournament, but at some point we must stop. That time is now! So here's what we're going to do:

You guys have until tonight to come up with 3 recommendations for swaps you would like to make to balance the bracket. For example, you might say:
  • Please swap A62 Jose Aldama (Lucky) with D58 Jonathan Sha (Bacon)
Appoint a representative from among yourselves to e-mail me these recommendation by 4:30 PM Pacific (that's in 4 hours) and I will apply them to the bracket. At that time, the brackets will not change for balance reasons. Some rules:
  • You may not move a seeded player. Seeded players have #'s or *'s next to their name.
  • I reserve the right to veto any of your suggestions. (I probably won't, though).
Thanks,

-- Tony

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I vote prog. He'd had the least bias out of anyone I'd want doing that.
Declined. It's not a job for one person. Juggleguy/Scar/Clowsui and a couple of others should skim it over and one of them deliver the results.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Declined. It's not a job for one person. Juggleguy/Scar/Clowsui and a couple of others should skim it over and one of them deliver the results.
Clowsui is very good at compiling stuff together and getting the word out. He would be a good representative.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I know that in the e57 pool (http://evo2013.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssbm_e57.html), there is Pewpewu, Darrell, Jolteon, and Cosmo. I think they are all great players who would have a decent if not better chance at making it the QF pools. There's also Massive whom I haven't actually seen play, but I've seen him a lot on Smashboards. If he's also good, that's potentially five people in the same pool, making it pretty stacked in my opinion.

Two pools that I didn't recognize any big names in (correct me if I'm wrong) that could potentially be used for swapping are b60 and d58.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm taking the lead on this with clowsui and others. Currently jotting down as many notes as I can right now to meet our deadline. If you want to follow along, go to the MIOM Google Doc where my notes are: http://tinyurl.com/miom-doc

Keep in mind we only have three switches. The main issues to deal with are difficulty of first-round pool, difficulty of general quarterfinal section, and regional conflict in first-round pool. Our goal is to maximize the number of solutions to those problems under the constraint that we only get three switches. We should be able to "kill two birds with one stone" with some of these switches.

Metà

Smash Master
^ if laijin is 'notable' in c60 i'm pretty sure i am as well. lol

that makes it 5

also in c64 is mackadotious who is pretty good iirc. that pool is hella stacked

t3h Icy

Smash Master
B60 and D58 both have no notable players, so I think any potential swaps of good players should be with those two pools.

-Merck vs Milkman round 1 in B63 is a little rough, but I'm not sure just how good they are comparatively.
-C58 is still pretty tough, but not "death". Perhaps swap Eric Brown and Juggleguy with any players in the upper half except Bimbo, so that the pool is more distributed equally, although regardless it should be Eric Brown and Armada advancing anyway.
-C60 is fairly stacked with a lot of moderately good level players. Vist and Laijin should be in different pools as Nintendude mentioned a couple posts ago, and perhaps move one of Meta, Nicknyte, and Tang to the upper quarter for more balance.
-Zoap vs Kou round 1 in C61 is tough, so perhaps put one of them in the second quarter.
-C62 is actually fairly balanced, though two seeded players in the same pool seems a bit silly, but I guess we're not moving them.
-C64 has quite a few moderately good players plus Hungrybox, though the spread of them is really good. Maybe move one of them into the second quarter.
-D59 is still tough but more spread out now. Toph and Silent Wolf are both in the same region though, and J666 and SFAT to a lesser extent too. Maybe move Silent Wolf to one of the "empty" pools and have J666 on the bottom quarter.
-E57 has quite a few moderately good players and PewPewU, but I don't think it warrants swapping around, especially since the spread is really good.
-E58 is basically empty except Dart, so maybe put a good player in the upper half.
-E62 is pretty easy, but I don't know how good Amsa is. Smashmac in the bottom half is also balancing, but perhaps another player could go in that pool.
-F58 has nobody except Shiz, so maybe someone in the bottom half, although isn't Khepri somewhat good or something?
-F59 is a pretty easy pool and has nobody in the bottom half.
-F60 with Alan vs Chexr round 1 is tough, and Ice vs Chad round 1 is definitely the hardest round 1 match. Spreading them out or moving one or two of them to the easy pools would be good.
-F62 is easy except Tafokints.

Those are just things I noticed, and I have no idea about regional seeding problems, so don't take any of the above seriously unless more people agree with the changes.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think you missed the fact that we only have three switches, Icy, haha. I recognize most of those issues you brought up but 90% of them won't be able to be addressed at all.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Oh no, I definitely saw that, just compiling a list of options we have. I really like how you have the QFs projections, which is also really important. It's actually fairly balanced, but more quality in the top with quantity on the bottom.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
It's kind of tricky as we need two switches to take care of Laijin/Vist, and Silent Wolf/Toph. Let's project a bit here first though; Vist vs Bizzaro is a really tough round 1 match, but should Vist win, he shouldn't lose to anyone else, so Vist either loses in Section C, or makes it to Winners' Finals, while Laijin will most likely Winners' Semis, and if he loses, goes to Section N (opposite of C), or move on and face Vist or Bizzaro. I think it's fairly likely that they'll meet so they should definitely be swapped out, and as you suggested in the doc, moving Vist so it's projected he'll make it to Q94 is also balancing for skill there. So sending him to one of B57 (opposite of G$) or B60 (opposite of Lord) is good.

Silent Wolf and Toph are basically guaranteed to be playing in Winners' Semis of their pool, so should definitely be moved, and since as you mentioned Q94 is the easiest quarter section, Silent Wolf should be moved out and put in the other of B57/B60.

The last one is a really up in the air though since there are a lot of moderate problems, but no other big ones. Ice vs Chad is pretty brutal, the bottom half of the Quarterfinals are more quantity than quality like the upper half. One thing we could do is swap Armada (since he has no seeding points) with Westballz/Lucien/Tafokints to make for a more balanced QF Pools, but that leaves a lot of poor R1 matches and is brutal for a bunch of people that now suddenly have to play him. I think PP and Armada in Winners' Eighths really bites.

Ice needs to stay or else the projected QFs is way too easy, so if we were to move Chad, perhaps put him in a pool so he ends up in the same QF as Silent Wolf and Vist. A64 isn't too bad, but it already has a lot of moderately good players.

Top Bottom