• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ECRC Event #4 - GameUnicon 09: S.N.E.S. Tournament - August 2009 - MA

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Shut up Cort <3

Everyone lets just HYPE IT UP

If this thing doesn't have 20,000 posts by the time the tournament starts I'm gonna be pissed.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm.... I sure wish I knew a company that would love to be involved with this as well as able to help promote and run it.... as well as make it bigger.... OH WAIT I DO!!!!

Game Universe would LOVE to be involved with this tournament... Let's just make it insane....

How about the main guys running this contact me and we will add a little bit of other rooms and let's say get video game bands to play and let's say run rock band, Halo, Gears and some other tournaments in the separate rooms.... (this was something we have been considering for a while especially with the Smash Community being so cool to our store)

Let me know what you think...

Also we would be completely hands-off on running any of the Smash stuff if you want... I just would love to be involved with helping cross promote a huge gaming con.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Well, lets say you guys were gonna rent 2 HUGE Rooms to play smash... We would rent 2 MORE rooms to set up other stuff the bands, other games, selling rare stuff, video game Merch etc...

As for why would people that play smash want other games... some of them would but we would get OTHER people that would be as serious as you guys are with smash about Halo, Gears etc... and at night EVERYONE would enjoy a big band show or dance etc...

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm personally very against having any other games at a major smash tournament such as this. We're not MLG or EVO and we don't have the resources to spare to set up something for other communities that don't neccessarily care about ours. I see this as a golden opportunity to show other communities why Smash alone can be a huge attention/money generator and I don't feel as though we should bother to cater other communities who have shunned us in the past.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Wheres the room where I falcon punch myself
The hotel room. Get payperview if you want to do that **** somewhere.

I like the idea of letting an outside organization set up stuff apart from Smash. It gives the event a more legitimate feel, and could potentially make this event even more ridiculously huge by attracting more people from far away. I can't think of any bad consequences that could arise from this.

EDIT:
I'm personally very against having any other games at a major smash tournament such as this. We're not MLG or EVO and we don't have the resources to spare to set up something for other communities that don't neccessarily care about ours. I see this as a golden opportunity to show other communities why Smash alone can be a huge attention/money generator and I don't feel as though we should bother to cater other communities who have shunned us in the past.
I don't think they are suggesting that we help them pay for setting up at this event. From the post, it looks like they will be selling merchandise, I'm sure they can take care of themselves. As for other gaming communities, I don't think we should shun them as they have shunned us. This is primarily a Smash tournament, and I doubt that anything major concerning one of the other gaming communities will be able to take place next door.

We are not catering to the other communities, we are only concerned with Smash. However, this is an opportunity for GameUniverse to make money, and also potentially attract an even larger turnout. Providing some other games in a nearby location will help to keep people from getting tired of Smash. Not everyone who will go to this event is as serious about Smash as we are, and they will undoubtedly get bored after a while. Many major events for other communities have vendors and all sorts of random things that aren't related to the specific game the event is geared towards. It makes for a more interesting and fun atmosphere. I don't like the idea of letting our resentment for other gaming communities get in the way of making this already amazing Smash tournament more appealing to the masses.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I agree with OWM that it should just be smash, I mean we already have a huge brawl community that's going to go, a decent sized melee community, and whatever is left of the 64 community. Plus if there is a halo/gears tourney going at the same time, there would be a lot of people showing up for them and it wouldn't make sense for a smaller game like smash being the main event. Also lots of halo players are just jerks and are there to win and make fights.

Edit: Yeah CogSmooch has the right idea, we should have other games in the other rooms for friends and stuff but not legit tourneys -.-

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I agree that serious tourneys for other games shouldn't be present at this, but I like the idea of having small tourneys so that Smashers can compete with each other at other games too for fun. I love the idea of having a small Rock Band tournament with mostly Smashers.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I have no problem with the Smash community playing side tournaments with those games but I honestly think this tournament, as large as it will be, is one for the Smash community and the Smash community alone.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Well it's your tournament like I said... If you don't want us to run other tournaments for different games that's cool.

I hope you know that I totally respect you guys and want to be really careful to not try and step in on something you are running.

If you want us to still help promote this that would be cool too.

I know you guys are capable of running this on your own just fine. :)

I also understand that some other big organizations have stopped supporting Smash but I think that we have built up the same reputation in other communities that we have with you guys and can bring a HUGE amount of people for Halo, Guitar Hero, and Gears... more than our store could handle. It is our intention to build our Tournament scene and by this time next year we plan on having even more stores to help promote ourselves as a force in competitive gaming.

I would like you to consider letting us do this and run it completely separate from your tournament. So we don't step on any toes. I think we could really bring a lot of people. Maybe even more Smash players to make your prizes bigger if it seems like the event is bigger!

If you don't want to no worries... we will still be doing our monthlies and hopefully promote your Tournament as well.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I think it's fine if other tournaments are run, but not to the point that it seems like those tournaments would be competing for attention with Smash. There are definite advantages to this proposition, but I think what is on most people's minds are those players from other communities that see Smash in a negative light. This only leads to conflict, and may ruin the experience.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Maybe we can just set up a small area to sell stuff and some screens with various other games for fun in a non tournament environment for the smash players to play.

This is mad far away so if things start to come together let me know if you want anything from us.

Or if you change your minds about other games in a different room let me know. You also may not want to make it too big so you can't handle it.

You guys let me know... I'm here to help. Everyone from smash has been so cool to GU I want to help make anything for this community better!

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe we can just set up a small area to sell stuff and some screens with various other games for fun in a non tournament environment for the smash players to play.

This is mad far away so if things start to come together let me know if you want anything from us.

Or if you change your minds about other games in a different room let me know. You also may not want to make it too big so you can't handle it.

You guys let me know... I'm here to help. Everyone from smash has been so cool to GU I want to help make anything for this community better!
This idea I like, I'm a big fan of GU so this works for me. We can talk in length about it at the next MM if I make it.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Side games in a seperate room?

If that happens and there isn't some Puzzle League or Tetris Attack going I'll be an incredibly sad panda.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Learn to read first post nuro.

If GU bought another room and ran it alongside us, depending upon the games they plan to host I don't think it would be a bad idea.
Though I say we leave it up to the community.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
By this time, The two new Street Fighters would be out, Arcana Heart 2 will be translated (hopefully), Soul Calibur 4, and I am sure a bunch of other games will be out.

Top Bottom