• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Well for starters, I think you're just gimping yourself by playing on Lylat; I personally believe that it's one of Mega Man's worst stages (It's definitely the worst neutral stage for him)
Not at all. Lylat compliments his bair/fair stage gimps better than any other stages. Also mega man gets an Up-tilt lag cancel reset 100% guaranteed with inner edges of side platforms. I really like that stage for a lot of reasons both character and match up wise.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Not at all. Lylat compliments his bair/fair stage gimps better than any other stages. Also mega man gets an Up-tilt lag cancel reset 100% guaranteed with inner edges of side platforms. I really like that stage for a lot of reasons both character and match up wise.
Never heard about that, good to know.

Also, great job on those matches!

Really wanted to see you beat Bwett, but you still did great(also love how he said no one get's hit with Hard Knucle on stage yet he ate like 5 of those on the last set XD). I know we have already discussed the Falcon MU but what are you thoughts on it? What do you think you could've done better?

Oh, and the post with the videos has a double post of the match against Cha0tic, just a heads up.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
How does Lylat compliment his bair/fair stage gimps more than say SV , BF, or FD? I feel as if i'm misunderstanding your meaning of u-tilt canceling, but are you referring to being able to jump/ move before touching the ground with u-tilt? I'm almost certain that you can jump out of u-tilt on SV, T&C, and BF's platforms.

Again, I personally don't like Lylat just because the linearity of Mega Man's projectiles; it's far too easy for them to get caught/ canceled by the lips and tilts of the stage (I.e F-smash, lemons, MB, Leaf Shield, and CB). While you can set up some neat traps with CB, I don't think that it's worth losing the majority of Mega Man's ranged options for it.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
How does Lylat compliment his bair/fair stage gimps more than say SV , BF, or FD? I feel as if i'm misunderstanding your meaning of u-tilt canceling, but are you referring to being able to jump/ move before touching the ground with u-tilt? I'm almost certain that you can jump out of u-tilt on SV, T&C, and BF's platforms.

Again, I personally don't like Lylat just because the linearity of Mega Man's projectiles; it's far too easy for them to get caught/ canceled by the lips and tilts of the stage (I.e F-smash, lemons, MB, Leaf Shield, and CB). While you can set up some neat traps with CB, I don't think that it's worth losing the majority of Mega Man's ranged options for it.
As in you up tilt from the ground and through the platform, landing and cancelling the remainder of the move and lag. I can post a video later if you would like to see what you are talking about. It is impractical but pretty cool

You can do it on Yoshi's Island on the 3DS version

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
As in you up tilt from the ground and through the platform, landing and cancelling the remainder of the move and lag. I can post a video later if you would like to see what you are talking about. It is impractical but pretty cool

You can do it on Yoshi's Island on the 3DS version
I'd love to see a video of this in action.

Also, for anyone interested in tourney level custom move use:

Not sure if any of you would consider this high level play but here are a few tourney matches of me running 1323. The most notable player that I used this against was Fatality (possibly the best Falcon in the US ).

Vs. Neos :rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ9VysG7n9A (MM match starts at 11:25)

Vs. Fatality :4falcon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZEZ0KdkZk (Winner's Finals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjBm8ImDzM (Grand Finals)

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I could use some advice too. My set fresh off the griddle against a Pit player that I frequently fight. Match starts at 1:10
http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/634954137

So I'm aware of some of the bad stuff I've done. I've had time to think about it since getting home from this loss 30 minutes ago. But I'll be quiet about it for now.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
In the first game you played a bit timidly it seems. You seemed unsure as to if you should commit to projectiles or close range and kept switching between the two at inopportune times. You also threw out some odd options here or there, like using Charge Shot at pit on the ledge three times. He could have easily ledge dropped, jumped up and pulled out his orbitars. I think in general you used your forward smash more than you should have, which honestly is at all, given you got punished for it every time except the time he neutrally got up vs your charging buster.

You missed a few techs and that Pit converted well off of that, it cost you your last stock in the first game. You also didn't short hop while lemoning much, that lack of mobility hurt since Pit's got a good dash and his range is deceptive. I think overall really commiting to either throwing well spaced lemons and punishing his approaches with fair/nair/utilt or commiting to being very aggressive and in his face with grabs, short hop approaching lemons, and aerials would have helped you out. Sometimes you would mistime going off stage to try and punish him or would contentedly wait on stage for his recovery, which given the linearity of Pit's Up and Side B's and also his rather slow jump speed you could have capitalized on him being off stage at all.

You timed your use of crash bombs well and managed to get in and make use of them several times in the set, which was good given the Pit player's wilingness to shield it every time. I'm sure you can do better, it seemed like it was just a bad set for you. Judging by the commentary you're well respected in your area as a player and I doubt that's for nothing. Just dust yourself off and try again next time.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Thanks for the response. I'll look into what you've said.

The commentators also said I was being too aggressive. It felt like I got impatient and ran into some dumb punishes. Gottoms beats me on a pretty regular basis, but I felt like I did especially bad that time around. He likes to recover very low and usually waits out my attempts to edge guard and then makes it back. So sometimes I just waited if I didn't feel comfortable.

I have to work on properly teching playing at optimum range more.

Any other criticism would be appreciated!

Greward

Smash Lord
@ SSGuy SSGuy As a high mobility character, Fox is a punish character who will use his higher mobility to force you to commit in to something (aka a move with lag) then punish that. His neutral game is a lot about baiting the opposing player into doing something he can punish. You are using too many laggy moves like Fair or Dair in that matchup imo. Use more pellets and MB, specially when landing. Another weakness Fox has is that his killing moves aren't that easy to setup and also require his opponent to leave himself open. Spam shield a lot in higher % against Fox since his grabs don't really setup to anything outside of ledge game.

@ ScAtt77 ScAtt77 gj beating fatality, ur legit

Last weekend I played an offline tournament and luckily I got some videos uploaded.

Vs DDD (Pitikla)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRV7pYKh2w

Vs Pikachu (Miquel0123)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seQ82pkJGWk

Vs Pit (Marcbri)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3-s1wul9I

I used Bowser against marcbri in some games since I couldn't keep up with the matchup as Mega Man.
GF I went full bowser so I won't bother posting them here.
Any tips are appreciated. I'm not doing that good lately as mega man :s

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I am kind of stumped on this MU. How do I play :4fox: properly? What am I doing wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpEj3vvl0M4&feature=youtu.be
I still think you use dair on stage far too often.
Anyway, you figured out what the problem was on your final stock in match 2. It's that play style rather than the character in this case. That Fox kept kiting you around and punishing you for following him and being aggressive. After you slowed down, the match got way more boring...but you won :/

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
So Sm4sh is the first I've put any kind of time into. I'm making all of the mistakes you would expect a beginner to make. That said, I'd still like to post and hear maybe 2-3 things to really start practicing but I'm not sure if a video at my level would be inappropriate for this thread. Thoughts?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/633981608

2:59:12 :4dk::4diddy:

I felt my opponent coulda done better, but a fun set. As the commentators said, I am grab happy and go for it too often though, so I may wanna work on that next time. I also could've punished his whiffed Smashes by using Charge Shot or using the Mega Upper, but just went for grabs and got a smaller reward than I could've.

3:58 :4tlink:
Normally I beat this guy kind of easily in friendlies and won 2-0 last time I played him, and I'm actually surprised I lost to him . Don't have much experience against Toon Link as Mega, and didn't do NEARLY as well as in the last set. Switched to Sonic afterwards (and still lost the set), so the rest might not interest you.

As always, advice is more than welcome.
Hey yo! Anybody got more advice I can use? Tournament next Saturday and I plan to go to a Smashfest next week on Wednesday, and ZeRo and Mew2King are probably gonna be there (somebody pinch me... I must be dreamin..).

There is also a huge national coming up near me, and my 3 best character options are :4greninja:, :4sonic:, and of course :4megaman:. I've only got about a month and a half to pratice with these guys, so whatever advice anybody's got for me, lay it on me.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hey yo! Anybody got more advice I can use? Tournament next Saturday and I plan to go to a Smashfest next week on Wednesday, and ZeRo and Mew2King are probably gonna be there (somebody pinch me... I must be dreamin..).

There is also a huge national coming up near me, and my 3 best character options are :4greninja:, :4sonic:, and of course :4megaman:. I've only got about a month and a half to pratice with these guys, so whatever advice anybody's got for me, lay it on me.
You like the blue characters, eh?
Seems like you played that DK too far inside of Mega Man's effective range. Work on playing right at his effective range (as in don't be too close).
Against Toon Link, you just have to be a bit more cautious and take the openings you can get. He'll cover his weak spots with bombs and you just have to work around that.

I don't know if you glide toss your Metal Blades, but that's a good thing to do.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Excuse the potato quality, but here's Tipster's Mega Man vs. @ Captain Rage Quit 69 Captain Rage Quit 69 's Falco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h0vvuCnho&feature=youtu.be.

Mega Man's running Skull Barrier and Falco's running, I think, Distant Fire Bird.
Nope, that's actually default Falco. :p I use Fast Fire Bird and Accele-Reflector in 2 later matches, but I haven't the time to record those yet.

At the very least, I can assure you that this Mega Man has plenty of experience with my Falco and vice-versa, we are by no means new to this matchup.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
That Mario was so trigger happy with the capes. I love it! You could taste the paranoia.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see a video of this in action.

Also, for anyone interested in tourney level custom move use:

Not sure if any of you would consider this high level play but here are a few tourney matches of me running 1323. The most notable player that I used this against was Fatality (possibly the best Falcon in the US ).

Vs. Neos :rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ9VysG7n9A (MM match starts at 11:25)

Vs. Fatality :4falcon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZEZ0KdkZk (Winner's Finals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjBm8ImDzM (Grand Finals)
Scatt, danger wrap can access rosalinas down b unsafe zone if you are near or right under her. Tornado hold gimps her recovery and beats her juggle and i suggest releasing plant barrier just after you use tornado hold. Lemons beats her spam but you should jump constantly after the third one or she will win. Tornado hold and danger wrap stuns luma in one single hit either of them and tornado hold can't be absorved, after that kill it with bair or nair.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
hello nice ppl. I guess i'll drop a video here. I wish I can play at 100% but i've been suffering from frost nip + carpel tunnel for the past month. I've been sick and/or injured since apex lol

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
More specifically; aerial item throw backwards to fair!
My only critique of that video was that the matches were too fast!

Snakeee hung around with my crew at APEX. Fun stuff.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
hello nice ppl. I guess i'll drop a video here. I wish I can play at 100% but i've been suffering from frost nip + carpel tunnel for the past month. I've been sick and/or injured since apex lol

How many years have you being playing smash to get carpel tunnel? and how many hours peer day and days peer week? I'm asking you in order to know when to stop because I love competitive smash, but I woudnt like to hurt my hands.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Maybe it wasn't Smash. Perhaps it was some other part of his life.
Also that Kronos comeback against SilentSpectre!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
How many years have you being playing smash to get carpel tunnel? and how many hours peer day and days peer week? I'm asking you in order to know when to stop because I love competitive smash, but I woudnt like to hurt my hands.
Nowadays i barely practice smash. I just go to a tourney, play and go home. Been doing that for the past 4 years or so. I'm just here playing monster hunter lol

Nice, didn't know you could combo an item throw>Fair.
More specifically; aerial item throw backwards to fair!
My only critique of that video was that the matches were too fast!

Snakeee hung around with my crew at APEX. Fun stuff.
You can actually combo into bair which is more efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Nowadays i barely practice smash. I just go to a tourney, play and go home. Been doing that for the past 4 years or so. I'm just here playing monster hunter lol

You can actually combo into bair which is more efficient.
So sad that you have that stupid condition. I ****ing hate carpel tunnel, didn't know it existed before smash 4. I didn't even knew this was a thing when I played marvel and arcade fighters. I hope you get better man! Also, congratulations for your custom moveset list! it covers everything!

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Thanks for your concern. I can hopefully get to remaking all the custom move videos without a hitch. Sigh

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

For those who have trouble with Diddy, this may help a bit. Video is unlisted for now so you guys got that sneak peak lol

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Some good moves were shown there! I'll have to use more nair from down throw. It worked well.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
You want defensive Mega Man? I give you defensive Mega Man.

Disclaimer: Wifi tournament. Minimal lag/I was not affected much (dropped dsmashes are mostly just me being bad at timing it + wifi. One day I'll be able to land those consistently.)

http://www.twitch.tv/battlebuddiesgaming/v/3935061?t=9m41s - vs Bow Jr.
http://www.twitch.tv/hurricanessb/b/640345191?t=51m09s vs Villager/Diddy (Streamer DC'd midway game 2, so we decided to just replay it from the start) - Got deleted
http://www.twitch.tv/battlebuddiesgaming/v/3935061?t=1h32m39s - vs Olimar
http://www.twitch.tv/battlebuddiesgaming/v/3935061?t=2h05m13s vs G&W/Mario. - I was burnt out from zoning and played sloppy/autopilot. Crash Bombs against G&W were really dumb of me and after the bucket I tried to b-reverse metal blades and got crash bombs (wifi kinda) and missed a lot of opportunities for utilt in Mario (shield drop utilts... so many of them missed).
http://www.twitch.tv/battlebuddiesgaming/v/3935061?t=3h37m22s vs Luigi

For fun: Norfair was legal and I was too tired to play the Olimar matchup regularly.
http://www.twitch.tv/battlebuddiesgaming/v/3935061?t=3h59m07s

Would be happy to receive comments/critiques.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Does anyone have any good footage beating :4fox:, :4wario:, or :4sheik:? Those are my biggest problems right now, personally.

Top Bottom