• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
P.S.: Since it's one of the first times where customs were used, could our two fellow Mega mains tell us what they felt like using AND plaing against characters with customs ?
Skull Barrier was going to be applied for this match up, no doubt. ROB is already really disruptive in this MU. Applying a reflector forces him to approach more than sit back. This allowed for me to play more of my game. Danger Wrap was not really something that I felt really familiar with so I wanted to get myself with as much playtime with it as much as possible. It is the same reason why I have been playing/counter-picking nothing but Battlefield in my matches. I feel like I am more comfortable with Crash Bomb unless the character is going to want to stay above me more often. It never really applied offline.

I really need to unlock Skull Barrier or play with it more. So many questions I have about it and application.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Skull barrier has a subtle windbox type effect around it that is surprisingly useful. I've found most people don't know it stops reflecting when you throw it, and short hop -> throw skull shield happens to hit people when they are in the groudn or full hopped. If the poor person jumps over it with their double jump, they're in a horrible position.

But it's best use is the threat of a reflector. It reflects instantly, so don't worry about timing. It actually reflects prior to the skulls coming out.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Skull barrier has a subtle windbox type effect around it that is surprisingly useful. I've found most people don't know it stops reflecting when you throw it, and short hop -> throw skull shield happens to hit people when they are in the groudn or full hopped. If the poor person jumps over it with their double jump, they're in a horrible position.

But it's best use is the threat of a reflector. It reflects instantly, so don't worry about timing. It actually reflects prior to the skulls coming out.
Yeah, I heard it came out on Frame One so I am pretty happy about that.

Still wish we could use Rush out of Down-Special

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Tournament tomorrow for me, and its allowing customs too! Assuming they have it available, gonna make use of 1311 and 1312 myself. Gonna definitely have my games recorded on phone and bring em back here, but if I get far enough in the tournament, I'll get to play on stream in better quality.

Wish me luck!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey guys. I've been playing Mega Man a little bit since the game came out, and much more, recently. I brought mine out in a tournament today. I'd would like some critique on the more subtle things I did incorrectly- and not just on what I'm doing wrong (lots of input errors), but also other things I could try to implement.

Mega Man vs Sheik (1/1)
http://www.twitch.tv/hsvasl/b/628059784?t=59m12s
(This was somewhat of a warmup game. I felt really uncomfortable spacing during that matchup. I decided to finish the set with my main, Rosalina.)

Mega Man vs Captain Falcon (1/2)
http://www.twitch.tv/hsvasl/b/628059784?t=2h08m26s
Mega Man vs Captain Falcon (2/2)
http://www.twitch.tv/hsvasl/b/628059784?t=2h13m15s
(At this point I'm warmed up. These couple games are better representations of how well I play. The matchup seems better for Mega Man than for Rosalina, so I stuck with him for a couple games. I still lost, but did better than I did with Rosalina.)

Big things I already know I need to work on:
  • Using metal blade safely.
  • Less d-air.
  • Perhaps more aerial metal blades.
  • Less fishing for kills.
  • More Z-drop blade into n-air spacing. (This maneuver is sex)
  • Figure out what to do when cornered.
  • Input errors, input errors, input errors.

How are these match-ups at top levels of play? I have trouble with rushdown from a personal standpoint.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
You seem to see most of your problems already. All I can add is to move around a bit more with those z-drop -> lemon tactics.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Hey Mega Mains lol I got some Mega man matches I would like to share cause Mega man is also my main along with Sonic and Pac-man.

Anyways im curious to see how other mega man mains think of my mega man game.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hey Mega Mains lol I got some Mega man matches I would like to share cause Mega man is also my main along with Sonic and Pac-man.

Anyways im curious to see how other mega man mains think of my mega man game.
Video sorta freaked out during the Robin fight at Wily's Castle and beyond so I stopped around there. I'd suggest making them into smaller videos instead of one big one.

Your liberal use of dsmash scares me. I just can't bring myself to use that move more than a few times ever 10 matches or so. I'd also suggest using dair less when you're above the stage and more Leaf Shield!

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
@ Jords2Good Jords2Good - I would say less frontal Fair approaches on grounded opponents. A lot of them seem predictable and can be easily punished by good players. Short hop Fairs are good to learn. And pull yourself back in the middle of the animation so you get out of grab range if they block.

In general I would suggest better positioning so that you are often attacking them from behind instead of always a direct frontal assault. That way if they shield, they have a harder time punishing with an attack or shield grab. Move around more in the air instead of jumping straight up and down, especially when firing lemons.

I would agree about the Dsmash, I pretty much only use it by accident or on a person who rolls a lot. Dairs, just be more careful. I use them a lot on stage but usually only after a double jump auto cancel height, or if I think they will be wide open for a punish. You can jump up with rush, and use him to cancel your Dair. I use that a lot.

Needs more Utilt. It took me a while to add that move to my strategy but it really pays off.

Be a little more careful with your Fsmash. Don't start charging when your opponent is in the air mid-stage, 9/10 times they will easily avoid it. Don't throw them out without applying pressure first, especially if they are close.

Try using Dtilt as an edgegaurd. Have your foot on the ledge as they try to grab it.

You should try for more grabs, especially at low %. Dthrow and follow up. Doesn't work as great on really good players or speedy character with low move lag, but still good to get used to. Try throwing metal blades and running in for the grab when they connect. It's not perfect and has many nuances, but still effective when done right.

Should probably avoid trying to pick up a grounded metal blade with a running attack. Jump on it, or run at it and jump when you get there. You can grab it by attacking or airdodge grabbing it as you leave the ground.

Decent use of jumping diagonal blades and lemons. Not bad overall, although your opponents didn't seem the greatest. Some good kills there but you are leaving yourself open too much by going for high lag moves in situations that don't call for it. Some of your approaches seem a little predictable too. Oh, and use more Leaf Shield. I never used to use it until I read the guide here on smashboards. Seek it out and learn when and why to use it.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys, I'll definitely take note on what you guys said.

And my bad on the video, I'm not sure how that happen. Its the first it has happened.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I have serious problems finishing a match with Mega Man. I can get someone up to 150% and still die first because either Bair failed me, or I couldn't set up FSmash/UTilt/USmash/DSmash properly. Can somebody help please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQvSciqQAQ
In this video around the 5:29 mark, you rolled to the right on the right edge of the stage 4 times in a row (or was it 5?)! Try rolling a lot less. Those 4 rolls didn't get you anything. Didn't help with spacing as you didn't move anywhere and the invincibility you got didn't protect you from anything. That Mario should have punished you for that.

I also noticed a pattern with your Mega Buster use; 3 grounded shots followed shortly by a jump. Only a few times did you only shoot once or twice, but most of the time you fired all 3 shots while standing stationary and THEN jumped after.

My best piece of advice for you is to find better movement options. Between the rolling and buster patterns, you're making unsafe habits.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Wow, Rango, what did you do to that video o.O I'm getting seasick watching it haha I literally feel sick now.

Yeah, less rolling overall would help. Shoot more lemons when your doing short hops backwards, and more lemons overall.

That was a really good Mario, too.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Wow, Rango, what did you do to that video o.O I'm getting seasick watching it haha I literally feel sick now.

Yeah, less rolling overall would help. Shoot more lemons when your doing short hops backwards, and more lemons overall.

That was a really good Mario, too.
I'll make sure never to have YouTube "fix" my videos for enhancements again.

Also, lemons = Buster Shots?

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Oh, that's what you did? It's a freaky looking effect but hell on the eyes.

Lemons = Jab/Nair. I never used to call them lemons and I question myself if I really want to now when I type it, but most ppl call them lemons so I just conform.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Oh, that's what you did? It's a freaky looking effect but hell on the eyes.

Lemons = Jab/Nair. I never used to call them lemons and I question myself if I really want to now when I type it, but most ppl call them lemons so I just conform.
I hate the silly terms people come up with sometime. Just being a Mega Man fan, I always try to call his attacks by their names (Slash Claw, Hard Knuckle, Air Shooter, Flame Sword) rather than just Bair/Dair/Uair/Fair.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I'll make sure never to have YouTube "fix" my videos for enhancements again.

Also, lemons = Buster Shots?
Oh right. I forgot to ask about that. I thought I was trippin!

And yeah, everyone calls them lemons:

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Here's some footage of me playing several matches. Critique would be very nice, though I did notice a few things myself.
-Should work on safely launching and short hop approaching/retreating with lemons.
-Needs more Diagonal metal blade.
-Needs More Down Tilt (?)
-Don't be content to throw out forward smash vs an onstage opponent.
-A few times I go to throw metal blade or fire crash bomber while they're already out, pay more attention to resources to improve management.
-Don't use Spark Shock so much to try and punish rolls, use other options.
-I miss a good kill op on Duck Hunt by failing to react properly to a jab lock opportunity.

I feel like I played best on Duck Hunt and Mario Circuit, though Guar Plains I feel good about too. The rest is pretty whatever on the whole, but not terrible.

Duck Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brzLsdLowxk

Guar Plains Ω:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0skE8R8pBYA

Battlefield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bje1iBoFskc

Lylat Cruise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TtbrgEyj0M

Coloseum Ω:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_IAL7y4ttE

Mario Circuit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ3_FznxLBM

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
For your first video...

Pluses: Flame Sword into Mega Upper is a good combo. Good use of Metal Blades and grabs.
Minuses: You had two chances to hit him with a charged Mega Buster shot (FSmash) but went to dash with Spark Shock instead, missing him both times. You also went for long-ranged edgeguarding rather than staying close and pelting him with buster shots or baiting a grab instead.

We should play sometime. I'd watch more, but I got an appt to go to.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Here's some footage of me playing several matches. Critique would be very nice, though I did notice a few things myself.
-Should work on safely launching and short hop approaching/retreating with lemons.
-Needs more Diagonal metal blade.
-Needs More Down Tilt (?)
-Don't be content to throw out forward smash vs an onstage opponent.
-A few times I go to throw metal blade or fire crash bomber while they're already out, pay more attention to resources to improve management.
-Don't use Spark Shock so much to try and punish rolls, use other options.
-I miss a good kill op on Duck Hunt by failing to react properly to a jab lock opportunity.

I feel like I played best on Duck Hunt and Mario Circuit, though Guar Plains I feel good about too. The rest is pretty whatever on the whole, but not terrible.

Duck Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brzLsdLowxk

Guar Plains Ω:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0skE8R8pBYA

Battlefield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bje1iBoFskc

Lylat Cruise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TtbrgEyj0M

Coloseum Ω:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_IAL7y4ttE

Mario Circuit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ3_FznxLBM
I'd think I have more advice to give to the person playing Link than you. All I can say is stop regrabbing ledges. You got a pointless death because of it (the one with the bomb stage spike) even if you were at 130%+.

Also stop standing still after firing all 3 buster shots. Sometimes you did it from way out of range which I guess is OK, but you got punished for not moving when closer up.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Yeah I noticed that regrabbing ledges doesn't earn any advantage in this matchup. Though the resulting bomb stage spike had me laughing. I'll make sure to try and do more drills with my lemons to get my mobility up while using them.

Thanks a ton for the input you two, more is always appreciated though. Is there anything in particular I did well and should try and do more of?

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Ledge regrabbing doesn't earn an advantage in any matchup. Good players will look for it and capitalize when they can. It just makes you too vulnerable.
I loved that Flame Sword > Mega Upper thing you did. Good work on the first stock on Gaur Plains (that 86% was brutal). I laughed at the last few seconds of the final stock on Mario Kart. He bounced so much!

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
The set starts around 5:15:00.

That set really opened my eyes to the potential of the Shadow Blade, it really helps Mega Man's midrange game which can be killer in some matchups. He made good use of Plant Barrier too, but I'm still not totally sold on it's usefulness. Still good to see good Mega Man play especially with underused customs.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Woops, I think I meant 5:14:45, my B. Yeah I thought it was cool how he went full custom. I still do not understand the differences in the 3 barriers, they seem very similar.

Either way, yes, custom Mega Man is a gold mine of potential.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Leaf Shield lasts longest and deals 1 damage per leaf, when thrown it deals 2-4 damage.
Skull Barrier lasts the medium amount and deals no damage unless thrown, it's a reflector and will deal 2% when thrown but not travel far.
Plant Barrier lasts the least time and the petals oscillate much farther than the other two. They deal 3 damage on touch or 3-5 damage when thrown. Additionally it travels the least distance when thrown.

Plant Barrier is basically the 'safe' option I would say because it prevents you from getting caught off stage for an extended period unable to up B, but for this same reason it's potential for gimping opponents is limited. It also deals the most damage so it definitely has a good niche.

Skull Barrier's a reflector so it's gonna get used for projectile matchups.

Leaf Shield is only really prefered in case you SUPER DUPER like the gimps with it or (more likely) because it's the standard one.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
@ Blade Knight Blade Knight :
Leaf shield actually does 2% per leaf hit. I prefer it due to its less laggy startup.

Per request, I watched the 3 you said you played the best on. Solid wins on all 3 (3-stock yuuup).

Duck Hunt - The Link didn't really do much but take it the entire game. Almost all of your approaches were through full hop FAir/BAir, and those are not only unsafe against a player who defends properly, but you got really predictable. That said, you kept really good pressure throughout the entire game giving him no time to relax or setup his wall.

Mario Circuit - Nice choice of music.

1:45 - crash bomb at that close range. Eek.

Lots of crash bomb & metal blade. They're not fantastic against Link at long range, since he can cancel them with his own projectiles safely. Pellets allow you to get closer while being safe from his projectiles.

Stage awareness is big on this stage. It's one of my favorites for that reason. Nice job using the ceiling on that section of the stage, but try and keep track of the stage during the flying parts.

Gaur plains - 0:30 is kind of what I'm talking about with the long range. You crash bomb here, but Link has already drawn his bow. Then, with the crash bomb stuck, you play defensively when Link is the one in a bind with the crash bomb stuck on him. Push your advantage and try and read what he wants to do. You see him rolling towards you (which isn't a good approach ever), punish him for it. Throw out a dsmash. The worst that happens is you get blocked/miss and eat a crash bomb, which at your low %, you can cancel it by shielding.

1:38 - when you land on the stage, be wary of that landing lag. Canceling it with a pellet and immediately jumping makes you hard to punish. But it does seem like you were going for the ledge anyway and just missed it.

General stuff:

Some things that stood out to me. You generally looked uncomfortable at mid-long range and always wanted to get into close range for usmash/aerials/grabs. Which is also seen in your rolling habits (rolling to your opponent's jab range is rarely a good idea). You tried to shield and weave your way around Link's projectiles, when you can just walk and pellet to cancel them out. Then, you can approach to the zone where you want to be and go from there. One of Mega Man's strengths is the mobility his projectiles allow for. You seem to stand still shooting crash bombs, charge shots, pellets, and throwing metal blades when you can be moving and attacking from different angles with varying spacing. Not that standing still is bad, but unless you're exactly where you want to be to subject your opponent to your projectile pressure, why not take the opportunity to move there?

A lot of full hop weaving and landing with aerials. While they can be effective, proper defensive play, Link can shield and grab them with his tether. Also, weaving and double jumping in the air gives your opponent time to position on the ground. In general, work on your ground/short hop game. Staying grounded gives you more options and you can play a spacing game with your opponent trying to get them to do something punishable to start your offense. You also seem to start your dash attack super early, when I think Mega Man runs faster than he moves while dash attacking... Could be wrong though. But yeah, playing the "neutral" is what I'd say to work on. From there, you can get to your close range pressure game more frequently, where it looks like you shine. :)

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Thanks a ton Locke. I was also thinking after reviewing my own gameplay that lemons and the mid-range neutral were my weaker points so that's good to hear. I'll be sure to keep this advice in mind going forward, it's actually a bit frustrating to see the lack of mobility in some places when lemons are perfectly usable while jumping and moving.

My approaches were linear at times, and though they worked in these matches I doubt they would so consistently against a stronger opponent. Then again that will also be helped by me just improving my neutral game. I should go to the lab and work on approaches that don't require Metal Blade/Flame Sword/Slash Claw.

Did I really dash attack that much? The main reason I went for it on Mario Circuit is since Link was in forced trip it covers all of his getup options in my experience, could be wrong.

I've been doing drills practicing my lemon approaching and retreating, hopefully that'll show next time I get some footage. Also I've been working on not using Up smash as an option so much, I like it's reward potential but I'm whiffing too often to justify throwing it out as much as I did in these matches.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I don't think you dash attacked a lot. I just remember seeing that you started your dash attack a couple steps before you got to your target.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Hey guys it's been a bit since I posted here. I thought I'd wait a while and really buckle down and try to think my own way threw matchups and then post when I reached a wall. So vs this Rob, I am having a hell of a hard time fighting him and trying to work around his projectile games. Here is one of the matches. Any of my fellow bombers help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mfboXDGDs

I just don't know what to do vs him anymore

On a lighter note I also had a tournament I was at recently and streamed as well, thought I'd share a match from both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVT1sLJbV38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaRm8frmHMM

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Well in that vs ROB match, I noticed that you were standing still/attacking in place a lot and probably shielding too much as well. You could use work on your evasive maneuvers.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Well in that vs ROB match, I noticed that you were standing still/attacking in place a lot and probably shielding too much as well. You could use work on your evasive maneuvers.
alright, in previous matches I tried short hoping, Nair, but he just shot the lazser and shut me down. I got a chance to pick this stage thinking it may be better for me but alas your right. my movement or lack of is costing me heavy damage since I can't get in and out the way I need to vs ROB

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
btw, does anyone have any videos of a megaman doing a JCGT tech in tourny? i'm really curious how viable it is in tourny play. ive been told japanese players do this in their tourny, but i cant find them

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/633981608

2:59:12 :4dk::4diddy:

I felt my opponent coulda done better, but a fun set. As the commentators said, I am grab happy and go for it too often though, so I may wanna work on that next time. I also could've punished his whiffed Smashes by using Charge Shot or using the Mega Upper, but just went for grabs and got a smaller reward than I could've.

3:58 :4tlink:
Normally I beat this guy kind of easily in friendlies and won 2-0 last time I played him, and I'm actually surprised I lost to him . Don't have much experience against Toon Link as Mega, and didn't do NEARLY as well as in the last set. Switched to Sonic afterwards (and still lost the set), so the rest might not interest you.

As always, advice is more than welcome.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
As always, advice is more than welcome.
I would say more movement while shootings lemons, and more lemons overall. Especially against a Link.

Try to get more movement when throwing other projectiles. I would suggest almost always jumping when you pull out a leaf shield. Try short hopping backwards and throwing a crash bomb at your opponent. Things like that. Mix it up while giving you some movement if you get rushed while firing.

Put more pressure on opponents coming back to the stage. You just sit there are wait for them to come in close range but you should be throwing crash bombs, metal blades and lemons to force them to do something other than safely come back at their leisure.

Don't commit so much for grabs. Do it when the opportunity arises, but don't rush in with the intent to outright grab.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had some intense matches on FG last night against a really good Fox. I love when you find a good opponent with a stable internet connection who is willing to have 10+ matches with you :D even if you screw up a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bhj3ncF4hE&list=PL1bDxjhQHqiqXpSEY9RZmd94HEWDMsyv_&index=26

I have 6 of those 12 Fox videos uploaded so far.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Matches from Shockwave 19. (I will be uploading salvaged matches from Fight Me IRL as they are on an independent set up)

In the order they were played.

VS. Bwett :4falcon:

VS. Cha0tic :4greninja:

VS. TripSwag :4diddy:

VS. Bwett :4falcon:

Bonus Video:

:4wario: vs CalmAnimal :4bowser:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Could anyone give anymore advice on my vids =s

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hey guys it's been a bit since I posted here. I thought I'd wait a while and really buckle down and try to think my own way threw matchups and then post when I reached a wall. So vs this Rob, I am having a hell of a hard time fighting him and trying to work around his projectile games. Here is one of the matches. Any of my fellow bombers help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mfboXDGDs

I just don't know what to do vs him anymore

On a lighter note I also had a tournament I was at recently and streamed as well, thought I'd share a match from both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVT1sLJbV38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaRm8frmHMM
Well for starters, I think you're just gimping yourself by playing on Lylat; I personally believe that it's one of Mega Man's worst stages (It's definitely the worst neutral stage for him) and it really benefits or barely changes ROB's game plan . Multiple times throughout the match, your projectiles would stick into Lylat while ROB was free to play his own projectile game like normal. Don't be afraid to duck under some of ROB projectiles too. There were numerous moments where you held shield long enough for ROB to just shield-poke you with them. Also, whenever ROB was above you, I felt as if you you could have thrown out a few more u-airs simply because they're really safe and ROB is extremely easy to juggle.

Top Bottom