• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
anyone care to way in on the Olimar matchup? =s i stink at it
My best advice is to learn how Olimar works before jumping into that MU. For the most part, Olimar's all play and react the same. He's just a frustrating Anti-Meta character and will destroy you for poor spacing.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
@Crimson Child
I feel like you under-utilize the forward smash. It isn't something you can use many times in a row like the Metal Blade or lemons, but it's still a good way to space and seal stocks at high percent. This is especially true against someone who doesn't have projectiles or a reflector like DK. Trying using it more often and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
My best advice is to learn how Olimar works before jumping into that MU. For the most part, Olimar's all play and react the same. He's just a frustrating Anti-Meta character and will destroy you for poor spacing.
What I have found that was working with a Olimar I was playing was to keep track of which pikmin he was able to throw next and peppering him with lemmons. That and just being patient, since going nuts trying to go in just results and a pikmin gangbang. Outside of that, it's much like you said, he's "frustrating and will Anti-Meta character" so I guess maybe forcing him to break out of his comfort zone would work well? Maybe get the lead and keep away? Idk =s

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Pick off any desynched pikmin with crash bombs and buzzsaws. Try to keep him in the air.

Other than that idk. I mostly use Pacman for that MU.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
How do you guys feel about my Mega Man? Looking for strong critique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMTdwHLz-G4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBWGJcgapk
Hey man I recognize you from the Georgia smash 4 group. You've got a solid mega man. I noticed a few mistimed UTilts that got you punished and a couple times you got trigger happy with Fsmash which can leave you wide open, especially once someone starts recognizing a pattern but overall you did well. Most of the mistakes were pretty obvious so I'm sure you already recognized them.

We'll have to get some games in next time you're streaming.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Been playing the Blue Bomber a helluva a lot more lately and he's now a character I use in tournaments, Megaman has basically become my tertiary now and it's been a blast! So I thought it's time to take my gameplay to the next level and get some criticism on how well I'm doing and what I should work on the most. I have 1 win and 1 loss for each set of videos, to showcase what I'm made of and what I'm not made of with this character.

vs :4villager: and :4dedede:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEcWOrrx_x8
vs :4shulk: and :4kirby:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_fmQ-NKdY

These videos took forever to upload from my phone, almost a whole day. Any criticism, even harsh criticism, is welcome (especially if anyone has the time to go in-depth with it) as long as its reasonable and helps my game.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Hey folks, I haven't posted to Smashboards in forever! I was big on Melee, skipped Brawl, and now I'm obsessed with Smash 4. I play several hours every night u.u I used to main Luigi, messed around with Sonic, then had some fun with Rosalina. But then I tried Megaman and I abandoned everyone else. Megaman will be the only character I ever use from now on. It took a while but I'm finally at a point where I want to start getting into advanced stuff. For the most part I've been learning him on my own. I did read a few things on the boards and picked up a few things, like dtilt edgegarding and realizing that leaf shield doesn't suck. Got some tips from videos, too. So now I'm really looking to improve my game in as many little areas as I can.

Here's my latest upload of For Glory matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoMmflseHyQ

I'm really big on his buster gun. I see a lot of MMs throwing blades to pick it up, I'm not big on that. I'll do it sometimes but that's something I consciously don't do. I also decided to use Dsmash way less(if ever). I used to whif it way too much. I have to keep reminding myself that utilt is a finisher, that's my biggest weakness right now. I'm starting to remember it but I have to get used to throwing it up when I'm in position in the heat of battle.

So yeah, I probably won't be much of an active poster around here but I'll certainly be reading more. I'll want to inform myself a bit more before I do any critiquing myself but I'm dedicated to being a top notch Megaman ^.^

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
These videos took forever to upload from my phone, almost a whole day. Any criticism, even harsh criticism, is welcome (especially if anyone has the time to go in-depth with it) as long as its reasonable and helps my game.

Not much i can say about that Villager, it is pretty much how i fight against him, you could use more lemons tho, and careful with that charge shot. Even an uncharged one could ruin your day, good thing you managed to shield it after he shot it back. Also, when you went for the dair and hit one of his balloons, i screamed at the top of my lungs "YOU POPPED MAH BALLOONS!" XD.

D3, again, needs more lemons. He lacks Bowser's armor right? So lemons work well on him, plus some demonic soul that worked on the 1.04 patch decided that gordos had to be nerfed, and lemons reflect them back at him now. In this two first matches, you seem to be a bit afraid of going offstage after them. I can understand villager since the little troll is impossible to gimp, and if he get's back on stage before you, that freaking bowling ball... But against D3, especially when he is recovering low, i like to run off the edge and bair him, or z drop a MB and see what i can get from there (tho i honestly suck on that when i get nervous).
Gotta admit your opponent pulled a pretty nice finish in that match ^^ .

You handled Shulk pretty well, i think your mistake in that one was rolling a little too much. I try to never roll against shulk cause of that stupid down smash of his. And not much too say on Kirby either, i think it was only close cause you pretty much self-destructed on your second stock, you know, air dodged and fell. Other than that, when possible, save your DJ when recovering.

Overall i think you are doing great man, nice job!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hey folks, I haven't posted to Smashboards in forever! I was big on Melee, skipped Brawl, and now I'm obsessed with Smash 4. I play several hours every night u.u I used to main Luigi, messed around with Sonic, then had some fun with Rosalina. But then I tried Megaman and I abandoned everyone else. Megaman will be the only character I ever use from now on. It took a while but I'm finally at a point where I want to start getting into advanced stuff. For the most part I've been learning him on my own. I did read a few things on the boards and picked up a few things, like dtilt edgegarding and realizing that leaf shield doesn't suck. Got some tips from videos, too. So now I'm really looking to improve my game in as many little areas as I can.

Here's my latest upload of For Glory matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoMmflseHyQ

I'm really big on his buster gun. I see a lot of MMs throwing blades to pick it up, I'm not big on that. I'll do it sometimes but that's something I consciously don't do. I also decided to use Dsmash way less(if ever). I used to whif it way too much. I have to keep reminding myself that utilt is a finisher, that's my biggest weakness right now. I'm starting to remember it but I have to get used to throwing it up when I'm in position in the heat of battle.

So yeah, I probably won't be much of an active poster around here but I'll certainly be reading more. I'll want to inform myself a bit more before I do any critiquing myself but I'm dedicated to being a top notch Megaman ^.^

I can't watch the whole thing now, but watching the first 3 matches, you are great!

Your opponents seemed to be decent(apart from the DH, seriously roll all over the stage every 2 seconds please -.-, i would say i wanted to falcon punch him in the face, but considering you utilted him into outter space that won't be necessary).

You move around a lot and never get too defensive, even when down(see first match against Diddy). Again, you are great man!

Oh, and sorry for the double post, i just really wanted to say that.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Been playing the Blue Bomber a helluva a lot more lately and he's now a character I use in tournaments, Megaman has basically become my tertiary now and it's been a blast! So I thought it's time to take my gameplay to the next level and get some criticism on how well I'm doing and what I should work on the most. I have 1 win and 1 loss for each set of videos, to showcase what I'm made of and what I'm not made of with this character.

vs :4villager: and :4dedede:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEcWOrrx_x8
Two things that you shouldn't throw at Villager with an empty pocket: Charge Shot and Leaf Shield. The Shield isn't that bad, but it's a huge projectile that will most likely hit you. Charge Shot is a no-no until his pockets are filled. I'd probably opt for more Metal Blade usage and less Crash Bomb against Villager as the blades go through his tree and it's the best thing of yours that you want him to pocket.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Me vs. Rosalina
http://www.twitch.tv/acestarthe3rd/b/621875424?t=6m36s

Me vs Mii Brawler (standard weight)
http://www.twitch.tv/acestarthe3rd/b/621875424?t=1h45m09s

Me vs Greninja
http://www.twitch.tv/acestarthe3rd/b/621875424?t=2m45s

I use 1333 and 1332 in these matchups. I started using Beat instead of Rush Coil due to people starting to get really good at edgeguarding it in this area. Beat lets me choose if I want off stage or into stage damage, it worked out pretty well but I'm not the best with it yet.

I have a lot of trouble with the greninja matchup, most of it related to dying too early and not being able to corner greninja. If anyone happens to have experience in that arena, by all means let me know as I get wrecked. :|

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Here is a little combo I had against a gannon from a ranked game on Anthers Ladder. Check it.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
@ Sorichuudo Sorichuudo - Thanks! That Diddy Kong was really good, too. That was one of the few times I beat him.

@ Overswarm Overswarm - I can't seem to watch those twitch videos. The page lags so bad I see a new frame every 20 seconds or so. Plus it looks like your using Mario each time?

@ Red Shirt KRT Red Shirt KRT - Nice! Love comboing Ganon, he's a big target. And those spikes are so satisfying heh

Here's one I managed a few days ago. This has to be some kind of record? xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYF57GNApC0

I ordered myself a Hauppauge PVR 2 a few days ago. Should get some nice recordings from now on. Plus preordered a Mega Man amiibo last night. It's been a good week :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm using megaman; you must be at the wrong timestamp. It's giving me trouble too now. Oh well. :B

Servbot6

Smash Rookie
You guys should check out Zucco's vids. he is prob the best megaman right now and he shows some very important things to keep in mind when playing megaman, his youtube is "zucco 92". Sorry, but i can't post links yet.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hey guys back I'm back with another round of videos. First match is against Reflex's Bowser Jr., Greninja, and Wario (The wario match starts at 25:35).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZhRktBvp8g

What do I do against Bowser Jr. and Greninja? I'll admit that I'm rather lacking in experience in these match-ups. For Wario, I have a better idea as to what I should be doing, but some advice couldn't hurt.

The second match is against Player 1's Diddy Kong (match starts at 25:12) . Compared to about a month ago, I feel like i'm just getting punished harder off of grabs, but I'm sure there's more that I could work on. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ZeTt45aX8

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Just FYI, Greninja can punish you for jabbing if your jabs aren't over-spaced. If you jab and it would hit him and he calls you on it, he can punish you 100% of the time. I know megaman players like to use jab, but it is rarely safe. :(

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
@Scatt - Good job. Only thing I can really recommend is more Dair spikes(I don't recall even seeing that move?) when opponent recovers low. Seems like you had a few good chances and went with LS gimp instead. That gimp against Rosalina paid off though, heh.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
@Scatt - Good job. Only thing I can really recommend is more Dair spikes(I don't recall even seeing that move?) when opponent recovers low. Seems like you had a few good chances and went with LS gimp instead. That gimp against Rosalina paid off though, heh.
Thanks. Would you mind telling when specifically a dair spike would have been usable? I'd gotten out of the habit because I usually got punished for it and I almost never hit with it. So, I got comfortable with using Leaf Shield since it feels covers so many options when they're on the ledge.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Thanks. Would you mind telling when specifically a dair spike would have been usable? I'd gotten out of the habit because I usually got punished for it and I almost never hit with it. So, I got comfortable with using Leaf Shield since it feels covers so many options when they're on the ledge.
Nothing wrong with using the LS ledge guard but honestly I'd say Dair spike is one of mega mans most deadly and personally one of my most frequent KO moves.

The key is to harass your opponent while they're off stage with projectiles and force them into a poorly timed air dodge or force them into using their Up B when they're not in a good position and as soon as they slip up and make a mistake like that you punish them. You've got to have the motion down so you can do it quickly otherwise it becomes easy to anticipate.

The exact motion that I use goes like this. As the opponent is below you or even in front of you off stage, stand on the edge of the stage and toss out a horizontal or diagonal metal blade to put your opponent on the defensive. Sometimes you will connect with the metal blade which is great but if you miss it's not a big deal because your main goal is to channel them into an area right below you.

So once you have them in a good spot you run off stage and right as you start to drop you hit jump immediately followed by Dair. It's important to jump right before you Dair because if you don't then it becomes a lot easier to accidentally fast fall to your death. Using Dair right after you jump will cancel your upwards momentum so if you do it quick enough you won't actually jump at all which is good because the further below the stage you are the better. If you miss it's fine too because once they see you have that move down they're gonna get real nervous when they're trying to recover which usually just leads to a slip up. All it takes is connecting with one and they're toast.

I hope I explained it accurately enough. I'm actually working on a KO video right now that has tons of Dair kills so once that's up youll have a much better idea of scenarios/inputs that I'm trying to explain. For now, check out my other video and fast forward to 3:27 and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. http://youtu.be/lbWyP0lfpE4

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Tourney Locator apparently has uploaded videos of the last Shockwave, and they had the (good) idea of trying Customs XD

iiGGY (Megaman, Toon Link) VS TLOC Denti (Olimar)

SSGuy (Megaman) VS Gyo(ROB)
P.S.: Since it's one of the first times where customs were used, could our two fellow Mega mains tell us what they felt like using AND plaing against characters with customs ?

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Over-B is always danger wrap.

Shadow blade can combo on the way back at certain %, but is otherwise unsafe. The bomb has unique properties, but is outdone by metal blade.

All 3 shields are usable. Leaf/Plant is mostly preference. Plant is better, but Leaf comes out faster and is another projectile.

Up+b is Rush or Beat. Rush will get you killed against many characters, so I use Beat because you can recover from ANYWHERE and go under stages if need be.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Over-B is always danger wrap.

Shadow blade can combo on the way back at certain %, but is otherwise unsafe. The bomb has unique properties, but is outdone by metal blade.

All 3 shields are usable. Leaf/Plant is mostly preference. Plant is better, but Leaf comes out faster and is another projectile.

Up+b is Rush or Beat. Rush will get you killed against many characters, so I use Beat because you can recover from ANYWHERE and go under stages if need be.
You do have to remember that beat can be easily edgeguard we though. The lack of speed and hitbox makes me a bit leery about it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've used beat a lot. Beat is not easily edgeguarded at all, especially if you do the fast ascent. Rush is the one that is easily edgeguarded, except getting hit when using rush puts you in a "tech or die" situation. With Beat you can get hit and recovery from anywhere. I often recover like Snake now!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Beat doesn't save you from being meteor smashed though, Rush does. And just like with other flying recoveries like Duck Hunt's, you move slowly and are left completely helpless during it without a hitbox, and you're vulnerable to stage spikes and Dairs.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Beat doesn't save you from being meteor smashed though, Rush does. And just like with other flying recoveries like Duck Hunt's, you move slowly and are left completely helpless during it without a hitbox, and you're vulnerable to stage spikes and Dairs.
Rush doesn't save you from behind hit with any meteor smash any more than Beat does, and the mobility Beat gives you is ridiculous.

Have any of you ever actually used Beat? Rush can be easily edgeguarded to the point where one hit = death. Beat can go up, take a hit, and then go higher than he was in the first place. It is superior in every aspect but speed and on-stage bouncing shenanigans.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Rush only saves from spikes if you don't move horizontally. Beat being able to go under stages is something I've never thought of and would be really useful.

As for Rush being edgeguarded... I've seen it happen/I do it a lot against other Mega's. Rush is generally safer than Beat and with good use of double jump, you have a difficult to edge guard recovery. Beat has a lot of commitment, but you're right in that you can recover high incredibly well (better than Rush).

But yeah... I NAir gimped a Mega Man at 10% and felt bad. Without the double jump, Rush is only a decent recovery in distance and safety while Beat's distance is consistently good. I can see its use and I'm glad people give it a shot.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
but to Pika's point, Beat moves more slowly and leaves you much more open to single strong hits and spikes.
For instance, I'd never want to use it against a char like CF because he can just brutalize the commitment. One way to get around this would be to upB first, followed by a 2nd jump. Actually now that I'm thinking about it, if we converted from recovering low to recovering very high, I could definitely see the use here.

I've always kind of considered Beat to be roughly equal (albeit farther) to Duck Hunt's recovery (in other words, very bad), but I'm just now realizing (as I type this) that there's a significant difference of being able to act AFTER it. so if you always committed to Up B before jump, it might be interesting.

Also it seems like a no-brainer against anybody without very good offstage edgeguards (i.e. Mac, Diddy, Fox, etc)

Worth going into the lab I'd say.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Fenrir, I think you are seriously over-estimating the issues Beat has. If someone goes off stage to hit me and actually hits me, I've probably either made a mistake or deliberately took the hit to gain more height so an all around safer recovery. Beat is super good.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is true! I've basically replaced using rush offensively when my opponent is in the air by just short hopping -> danger wrap to cover his options, then following up with bair / uair / grab.

Top Bottom