• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you hate when people mock you in 1-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Let's get this straight. You're ranting because someone... beat you In smash with your own character?
Really?

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...
I agree 100%. This happened to me

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Do people really get offended by this stuff? I mean, so what? They're just showing off that they're better than you at Smash. Accept it and look for a different player.

FireOfExile

Smash Cadet
NNID
fireofexile
3DS FC
2363-5961-4897
If someone uses Villager, I will always pick Villager to fight them. It has nothing to do with being better. For me mirroring my opponents is absolutely hilarious no matter what. I feel like it's more fun using the same character. I don't do it online though as I understand people can take it the wrong way.

But Villager on Villager battles are a must, even online. Pocketing trees and bowling balls? Growing the other player's tree on accident? Using balloon to go under the stage. It's just too much fun.

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
I don't know why people get so easily offended online. One time I ended up playing a Marth but it was a really bad matchup for me so I switched to Marth, as he is my secondary. I kept winning and eventually switched to G&W, and then he felt he had to prove himself by beating me with my own main. I didn't mind though, mostly because he gave me a good laugh and a boost in win %

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I rarely played online on the 3DS because the lag was always pretty bad, but one of the few times I did I was doing 4 player For Fun matches there was a guy there who I'm pretty sure was trying to antagonize people. After a few matches he started playing Little Mac, then after several more switched to Villager, then switched to Duck Hunt. Basically, all of the characters that a troll would be likely to use. I just got the feeling that he was choosing his characters deliberately to be trolly, as in "haha, you lost to freaking Villager". Maybe I'm wrong though.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
Taunts are an intended part of the game and you're already limited to 3 per match, so I have no problem with it. Just see it as a reason to get better. If I beat someone using a character I use often I'll switch to it so they can learn from me. I'll only taunt if they taunt me first or they're using a top tier character like Yoshi, Diddy or Sheik (and them not being bad with then) and I beat them using Ike or something.

Just use taunts as motivation. They're intended.

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...
Yeah I encountered this once before. One time some guy had the guts to suicide and try to beat me with one stock. I shut that down real quick.

veloS

Smash Cadet
IThen the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

Sorry, but: man the f*ck up.

People are allowed to choose whoever they want to play as, leave whenever they want to leave, and taunt whenever they want to taunt. How is he a jerk for wanting to show you that he's better than you at your own game? It's part of competitive gaming. That negativity you're feeling is frustration and humiliation, but not imposed on you by him, but a product of your own inadequacy. He's not a jerk solely because you're too insecure to laugh about it and give him a mental "well played, sir".

And, besides, you might not even be sure he DID do all that to rub his superiority in your face. You could be calling an innocent, nice, skilled player a jerk solely because you're projecting your own negativity unto him.

Either way, stop this shiz. Don't play competitively if you can't handle getting your ass whooped, because you're not going to find much pleasure in this if that doesn't change, and pleasure is why we play videogames in the first place.

Yeah I encountered this once before. One time some guy had the guts to suicide and try to beat me with one stock. I shut that down real quick.
If someone is good enough to beat you like that, you should be commending him, not call him a jerk, Raymundo"The God" (oh, the irony).

Man, there are a lot of salty people here.

Last edited:

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I got over this like within the first day of playing Smash 4. I just realized that nothing that they could possibly do would have any bearing on what I do after the match is over. So why should I care? Your win rate on FG doesn't mean anything... and even if it did you don't lose anything extra from getting walled by your own character.

It's entirely possible for someone to just play the same character AND color... it's really not that unlikely. I'm not required to change MY favorite skin because you happen to have the same one. Personally when I go into a match I have a progression I follow I start with my weakest submain and just do best of 3 sets. Ike -> Marth -> Link -> Zamus -> Greninja. I always go in that order... and I chose them independently of what my opponent does. I've only encountered someone twice who just happened to play 3-4 of my characters shared most of the colors... so they probably thought I was mocking them, but I didn't care. I'm just doing what I do for everyone.

If you are certain someone IS trying to troll you online. Use it as an exercise in staying calm. If you start getting butthurt you start making mistakes and stop paying attention it's the downfall of many players. If you focus on staying focused you'll find that you will play a lot better and get better at reading. Think about why they constantly beat you, like you have a bad habit they capitalize on (getting up from the ledge or recovering the same way, roll the same way after your opponent rolls, etc.) If you pay close attention to what's going on instead of worrying about who your opponent is playing you're gonna get better.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
The only time I ever rub it in my opponent's face (usually by spamming Rosalina's "Mhmm" taunts) is when my opponent loses and then counterpicks Little Mac (such a repeatedly used scrub move) or when they select Sonic and just spin dash the whole time (I can counter it but nothing is more annoying). Those are the only times I actually want to get under my opponent's skin. Other than that, I try to be as friendly and respectful and playful as possible as I whoop ass.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
This is probably a bit off topic, but you actually can communicate with people by changing your tag names. I do this to let people know what I'm doing. For example, I use the tag "Last Game" to let them know that It's my last game, or I use the tag "GoodGames" to let them know that it was all fun. Otherwise I use :) as my default tag name or "Main" to let people know that I'm using one of my mains. One of the players that I played with caught onto this and tagged in "GG U2" before leaving.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

People are allowed to choose whoever they want to play as, leave whenever they want to leave, and taunt whenever they want to taunt. How is he a jerk for wanting to show you that he's better than you at your own game? It's part of competitive gaming. That negativity you're feeling is frustration and humiliation, but not imposed on you by him, but a product of your own inadequacy. He's not a jerk solely because you're too insecure to laugh about it and give him a mental "well played, sir".

And, besides, you might not even be sure he DID do all that to rub his superiority in your face. You could be calling an innocent, nice, skilled player a jerk solely because you're projecting your own negativity unto him.

Either way, stop this shiz. Don't play competitively if you can't handle getting your *** whooped, because you're not going to find much pleasure in this if that doesn't change, and pleasure is why we play videogames in the first place.

If someone is good enough to beat you like that, you should be commending him, not call him a jerk, Raymundo"The God" (oh, the irony).

I honestly got over it 20 minutes after this post. (I created this post right after the event happened)

It just sucks having someone better than you mock you...

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
This is probably a bit off topic, but you actually can communicate with people by changing your tag names. I do this to let people know what I'm doing. For example, I use the tag "Last Game" to let them know that It's my last game, or I use the tag "GoodGames" to let them know that it was all fun. Otherwise I use :) as my default tag name or "Main" to let people know that I'm using one of my mains. One of the players that I played with caught onto this and tagged in "GG U2" before leaving.
I know about that

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I honestly got over it 20 minutes after this post. (I created this post right after the event happened)

It just sucks having someone better than you mock you...
It took you 20 min to get over it? You need to work on that...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Once, I encountered a guy like this. Taunting after every kill and stuff, mad me mad. After a while I started to beat him legitimately, then I taunted to show that asshole how it felt.

Felt good to me.

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
Well those things happend. Maybe it's a very good character for him to play with. Nobody has ever beat me with my own main character but if it happens, I will learn from it.

Pawelot

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pawelot
People complaining that taunts taunt them. Priceless.

Pawelot

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pawelot
It's in the game. You're supposed
Taunting is disrespectful by definition so
It's in the game for a reason. Petition Nintendo to remove it if it upsets you so. I shall taunt the hell out of my opponents so long it's in. It's fun.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Have had the same thing a few times now. Play ~2 matches against an opponent using the same characters both times. Lose twice. Opponent switches to the same character and skin as me (I don't use the default color) and proceeds to repeatedly beat me with my own main until I quit. It can be quite frustrating. I like to pretend there's some sort of thoughtful motive behind it, like they're trying to show me how to get better with that character, but it's probably just to rub their skill in my face, which is obnoxious.

Still, nowhere near as humiliating as when I got 2-stocked by a really good Captain Falcon while he barely cleared 50%. He gimped me for my 2nd stock and I fell far enough that I couldn't get close to recovering. Still, I tried to jump as high as possible out of habit. But my opponent, not having crushed me quite thoroughly enough, took a flying leap down and knee'd me for the KO.

Sore winners are a part of competition in any event. It's inevitable that SSB will have some online. There are definitely pros like this, since pros are just people, but by no means are all good players showoffs.
Thing is, with Captain Falcon it is different. If a Falcon player goes for a stylish KO, they are not doing it to show off, they are doing it to be like "Yeah! I got such an awesome KO on them!" Most of they don't mean to disrespect, they just play him like that because that is just Falcon's style.

I feel bad, because I know I shouldn't let this stuff get to me and get me mad, but it will happen eventually to me if I feel it is as clear as day that they are trying to make me feel bad. 2 days ago I played someone online and I was using Captain Falcon, first match I crushed them, second match I lost. After I lost they switched to Captain Falcon and every single time they KOed me they taunted twice and sometime would even T bag. Even worse was that when I did beat them in the Falcon dittos, even 2 stocking him sometimes, they kept using him to embarrass me every time I lost. After that I stopped playing for a few hours to cool down.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I do this against people that I sense are stinkers, or taunt and be a jerk. I like using Villager and crouching at the ledge so it's like I'm looking down on them after a gimp or SD, and shorthopping and doing down b without a tree out so I just shrug repeatedly. that was only once though, not a regular thing!

and bad little macs I taunt and shame endlessly.

Thing is, with Captain Falcon it is different. If a Falcon player goes for a stylish KO, they are not doing it to show off, they are doing it to be like "Yeah! I got such an awesome KO on them!" Most of they don't mean to disrespect, they just play him like that because that is just Falcon's style.
meme falcons deserve the worst for glory has to offer imo

also for some positive contribution, I sometimes think about switching to their main if it's a character I play and play better as, but only to educate them. I have only played ONE good MK on FG and he didn't know some basic stuff so I just really wanted to play him to go HEY LOOK YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Last edited:

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
Reading this, I can't believe so many people hate taunts. I taunt, and I like opponents who taunt. It feels like we're both just having fun and not being super serious. In fact, in Captain Falcon/Shulk matches, I actually wait a split second before making my move at the start of the match just in case they need to get a "Show me your moves!" or "I'm really feeling it!" out of their system.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice

Either way, stop this shiz. Don't play competitively if you can't handle getting your *** whooped, because you're not going to find much pleasure in this if that doesn't change, and pleasure is why we play videogames in the first place.

well well well,

look what the cat dragged in

either way, it's still a game. if you think you are being mocked, which is pretty much impossible since smash online is pretty much secured of any way of making contact; you should just quit the match, or stop playing with that player. there's no shame in that.

or you just should get better, or not that easily offended

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Don't be so quick to judge people who switch to the same character as you. I once switched to the same character so I could copy a neat strategy my opponent was doing as Samus. Another time I did it was when I encountered a Jigglypuff and decided that I wanted to switch to Jiggly as well.

Please don't be mad if I switch to the same character as you, it's either unrelated to your skill or out of respect for your skill.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yo this duck hunt was standing one side of the stage and doing the can and frisbee for the WHOLE match. I try to approach and bam he runs to the other side. By the 3rd match I was getting a bit peeved so I switched to Duck Hunt to give him a taste of his own medicine.

I beat him but he got a stock off me.

Do I feel jerky? No. That ish was annoying. But I can see where you got a bit angry in your situation, all I can say is don't let it get to you and head to the lab a bit more.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Well said by many above posters.

Pride runs emotions high. Be humble in times of distress and you will find peace.

Here's something I posted in another thread, that's nearly the same:

Becoming emotional hampers consistency, and consistency is the hallmark of a player's skill.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

Pride is one of the strongest sentiments that creates emotion, since one views himself as better than the other they think they should not lose, thus become upset, or when they win they feel assured in their pride, thus happy, though morbidly so. Humility is the greatest virtue to stop all emotion, therein lies joy and peace and detachment from winning or losing (or being insulted or trolled), allowing one to will the best of their ability.

Last edited:

sbm888

Smash Rookie
NNID
atomukirin
how does this able to bug you? you got beat by someone better, and you should learn from it. if he beat you during a mirror match, it's the best time to learn. it means he used the better moves, better timing than you...and everything else.

you should have continued to play him and get better rather than be angry at yourself.

welcome to fighting games...

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
I hate when im playing for glory 1 on 1 and im using a character i dont really know how to use well (WFT) or on of my good characters (Capt.Fal) they beat me and taunt/ tea bag the heck outta me...
however i go main(fox) and ruin there whole night taunt and/ teabags everywhere...
no respect for people who do that, you taunt, your demise...

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
Honestly, I stopped giving a **** about what I should do online, because someone will always get unreasonably offended at the smallest things.

**** it.

I wanna taunt? I'll taunt.

I wanna switch my character after losing? I'll switch my character after losing.

I wanna use ****ing Little Mac? I'll use ****ing Little Mac.

I wanna use the same character my opponent is using? I'll use the same character my opponent is using.

I wanna leave after a single match, or in some case even need to? I'll leave after a single match.

Without communication, you don't know the reasons I'm doing these things. If you wanna assume I'm mocking you, or that I'm mad for losing, or that I'm an arrogant ****head for whatever reason, that's on you. I'll just keep enjoying the game and play how I want. Don't blame me when you feel offended over a baseless assumption.

true on this note doe

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
I used to main little mac, so it was incredibly frustrating to see someone lose to me alot and then switch to little mac, thinking that my character made me better than them. I also hate when i lose, some one leaves or switches character even though i've been either beating them for about ten games, or only played one game with no lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom