• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you hate when people mock you in 1-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...

EDIT: I made this post after this event happened.

And I immediately got over it...

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I hate when players do that, once they do they get on my blacklist. Don't want to play with a bad sport.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
So what if he started to use the character you were? Did you ever think he was just playing as who he wanted? Or he selected random?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
So what if he started to use the character you were? Did you ever think he was just playing as who he wanted? Or he selected random?
Usually it gets suspicious after he starts beating you consistently and switches to your character and leaves after he beats you with your own main. I usually avoid selecting a guy's main if I beat him consistently. Feels kind of wrong, although mirror matches are fun if you start out on one the first game.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Usually it gets suspicious after he starts beating you consistently and switches to your character and leaves after he beats you with your own main. I usually avoid selecting a guy's main if I beat him consistently. Feels kind of wrong, although mirror matches are fun if you start out on one the first game.
Oh so he left after he beat you as Villager? Oh, in that seance, then yeah, he was just a (Many words can be put here but I don't wanna be banned).

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Oh so he left after he beat you as Villager? Oh, in that seance, then yeah, he was just a (Many words can be put here but I don't wanna be banned).
From my experience it was with a guy that used Bowser Jr., not fun when he lands that lucky Cannonball on you and taunts immediately after, then leaves :/

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Live and learn. **** like that happens sometimes. Next time you see him, beat his ass. Practice if you have to. But yeah, leaving after he gave you the work with your own man? That's cold.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Man, I used to love doing that to people, but after reading the posts of all the people whose spirits have been crushed by similarly jerky people, I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Man, I used to love doing that to people, but after reading the posts of all the people whose spirits have been crushed by similarly jerky people, I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore.
[insert sad violin here]

PCHU

Smash Lord
Please keep in mind that some people might not even be playing as their mains, and may even share mains with you.
It's hard to tell what exactly people are trying to communicate, if they're even trying to say anything at all.
Some people switch to your characters to make you look bad (which I only do if someone's spamming/camping/abusing rolls), and some people just like to ditto.
Heck, some people don't even care about any of that and just think it looks funny to see two of the same character fighting each other.

The same goes for etiquette upon leaving -- just leave when you want to.
You're gonna look bad no matter when you leave (hypothetically), so it may as well be at your discretion.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Please keep in mind that some people might not even be playing as their mains, and may even share mains with you.
It's hard to tell what exactly people are trying to communicate, if they're even trying to say anything at all.
Some people switch to your characters to make you look bad (which I only do if someone's spamming/camping/abusing rolls), and some people just like to ditto.
Heck, some people don't even care about any of that and just think it looks funny to see two of the same character fighting each other.

The same goes for etiquette upon leaving -- just leave when you want to.
You're gonna look bad no matter when you leave (hypothetically), so it may as well be at your discretion.
Well considering the jerk used the exact same skin I was using...

BBC7

Smash Ace
I hate it when better players also happen to be awful sports. I SD'd on my last stock against this one guy and he changes his tag to "GG Scrub" before leaving. On the plus side, **** like that encourages me to be the very best that no one ever was. So that once I become a really good player, I don't have to worry about my sportsmanship since I already know I'm a kind person.

Honestly, I hope these people know I'd rather have fun and lose, than know that I can play jerks and win.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Yeah, just played one of these assholes recently. Don't really get what they're trying to prove, if anything I feel as much sorry for them as I feel salty.

Putting a complete stranger down an online game makes you feel good about yourself? Man, your life has got to be quite a pitiful dump.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
ever consider that they just pocket villager? If I'm trashing another Ness main with my subs and switch over to Ness, the motive behind it certainly isn't to piss you off (on most occasions).

But of course, this is a small probability of being the case.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I got beat by a Bowser Jr once while using Duck Hunt

I switched to Bowser Jr, which happens to be my secondary and repeatedly beat him over and over

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I rarely do this, but today I did. This Palutena was spamming her B and I literally had to hangg off the edge and attack her from there to get hits. She spammed her up A when I was in the air, and thats all she did. When she got high in damage, she would just dodge everything and bring it to SD, where she would do it again and then hang off the ledge while I get pelted with bombs. I went Palutena and we had some good fights, but I was obviously better than her. I changed my tag to SPAMMER and WOW cuz I was mad.

Sometimes I have the weirdest impulse to be a jerk sometimes, I finally broke today. :(

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Have had the same thing a few times now. Play ~2 matches against an opponent using the same characters both times. Lose twice. Opponent switches to the same character and skin as me (I don't use the default color) and proceeds to repeatedly beat me with my own main until I quit. It can be quite frustrating. I like to pretend there's some sort of thoughtful motive behind it, like they're trying to show me how to get better with that character, but it's probably just to rub their skill in my face, which is obnoxious.

Still, nowhere near as humiliating as when I got 2-stocked by a really good Captain Falcon while he barely cleared 50%. He gimped me for my 2nd stock and I fell far enough that I couldn't get close to recovering. Still, I tried to jump as high as possible out of habit. But my opponent, not having crushed me quite thoroughly enough, took a flying leap down and knee'd me for the KO.

Sore winners are a part of competition in any event. It's inevitable that SSB will have some online. There are definitely pros like this, since pros are just people, but by no means are all good players showoffs.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
I was in a lobby with a guy earlier who was better than me. Naturally I don't have a problem with that, but on about our third match or so he self-destructed. Looked like an honest mistake. I self-destructed too to even it up. He may have been better than me, but that's not the way I wanted to win.

HE TAUNTED

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Mkay, I will say that I do get a little heated when this happens. But it's part of the game.

The only reason I say this is cause. I kind of did this earlier but not as bad.

I got in a match with some kid. I had picked Bowser Jr. (My main) and he had picked Lucina.

I lost this match due to a stupid mistake, so naturally I picked B Jr. again to prove myself better, and I won. 2 stocked him.

So now I'm all like "Okay yay!! I can use other characters" because I never stick to one character when I play smash.

So I pick Fox, beat him. I pick Ness, beat him. I pick Duck Hunt, beat him. I pick Greninja, beat him.

Now keep in mind. This guy had picked Lucina for EVERY ROUND. And after my 5 or 6 matches straight of beating him I'm like "Man this guy won't give up... I have an idea."

So I picked Lucina. And I destroyed him. And then bam!! He quit immediately.

Long story short (too late) I feel like it's okay to pick different characters and then pick the same character that your competitor has been using the whole time. But not to the point of mocking. Just friendly competition.

Last edited:

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
Am I the only person who doesn't get mad about stuff like that? That has happened to me once or twice but I didn't quit or mind that much, but it did make me realize my current skill level wasn't good enough and made me work harder to get better. They can two stock me, taunt even though I may have suicide, they can switch to my main and kick my ass and I still won't care, Take it as a learning experience and move on.

That, and Smash is far too much fun to get worked up over.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
If you're getting angry over being whomped in a ditto and go rage mode when you're using your main, it's you who has the problem. Not your opponent. Take some time off. It's natural to get angry, just deal with it more effectively, and don't blame your opponent for your own human frailties and flawed emotional responses. Don't eat so much damn salt when you get taunted. Especially taunts like Male!Robin's "You're not ready!" that are basically designed to rub in horrible mistakes. Such as SDs, or getting guard broken. Especially don't get so mad that you turn into a petulant child like some social justice warrior who was just proven wrong about intimate partner violence or whatever.

I'm going to get all gender psychology 101 for a second, so I hope you all don't mind. Competition in sports is a primarily masculine trait, as is smack talk and needling - and generally insulting someone without really meaning it. With time, it's easy to tell the difference between someone who's mad, and someone who's just taking the mick. And to better deal with the former. I was a part of the "hugbox" mentality myself growing up - my school coddled me for the disability money - and I'm only just now, at 21, recovering from that; online videogames help a lot.

If you catch yourself getting angry, don't worry. Just keep it off chat, if you're online. Many a time (not in Smash, in general) have I muted myself to curse out someone in a moment of weakness, then hopped back on the 'tubes and politely complimented their superior skills. If you're offline? Well, that's a little more complex. But you know your friends better than I do.

Last edited:

Ghork

Smash Rookie
I like going Ditto if my opponent plays someone I like playing. I also don't like playing too long with a player that is a lot weaker than me. This kind of thing could therefor easily happen without one giving it much thought.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
Hmm...I can see if he was constantly taunting or teabagging you, but I don't see how using the same character instantly means that he's trying to get under your skin. He may simply like using the villager and was simply cycling through his mains.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
For those who are saying the jerk probably used Villager, because he likes him: He used the same skin I was using, and judging from the fact that he left immediately after he won cleary shows he was mocking me.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The worst is when someone manages to beat you and then picks Villager in the next round just to troll with (they don't attack), they just force you to chase them around while they roll spam / Gyroid / hide behind trees and float around the stage with the balloons until the time runs out, and THEN leave. It's not so bad when I just happen to pick someone who can run fast, has acceptable projectiles or a reflector (to send him the other way when he's riding the Gyroid and kill him), but man... One time when it happened I picked Charizard and I eventually just had to stop chasing him (only got to punish him a few times when he free-fell from the balloons). Even though I managed to get this particular one in Sudden Death with a shard off of Rock Smash while he was hiding behind the tree, it is still incredibly annoying and a waste of time.

I'm not sure why, but the majority of people who do this tend to pick Villager to do it, is it a meme or something? I've had 4-5 people do this already, so it can't be a coincidence.

You'll run into the odd assholes everywhere in the world, Smash is no different.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
... Did you ever think he just wanted to try a mirror match. You don't know he was mocking you... seriously... what if it was just some 10 year old picking characters. You don't know for sure. Either way, its an anonymous (for the most part) online game, get passed it and move on.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Never had the displeasure of having this happen to me since, for some reason, Shulk wasn't played a lot in FG in the first few days of the 3DS.

I DID attempt it against someone who was inexperienced with Mega Man. He happened to be my secondary and I felt like using him to show him just how the Blue Bomber rolls. It failed once I saw they immediately switched to Rosalina after their Mega Man match.

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
Sometimes if I've been playing with somebody for a few matches and it's going to be my last game, I'll purposely do a mirror match or fitting match (ie if they're using Pit, I pick Dark Pit or if they're Mario, I'll pick Bowser and so on) before leaving regardless of their skill level. It just feels like the way to go out.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
You could always beat him.......Maybe he was trying to show you some things with Villager.

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002
Thank him for showing things to improve with your villager.

There is no chat (thank god), so he couldn't tell you otherwise

Khao

Smash Lord
Honestly, I stopped giving a **** about what I should do online, because someone will always get unreasonably offended at the smallest things.

**** it.

I wanna taunt? I'll taunt.

I wanna switch my character after losing? I'll switch my character after losing.

I wanna use ****ing Little Mac? I'll use ****ing Little Mac.

I wanna use the same character my opponent is using? I'll use the same character my opponent is using.

I wanna leave after a single match, or in some case even need to? I'll leave after a single match.

Without communication, you don't know the reasons I'm doing these things. If you wanna assume I'm mocking you, or that I'm mad for losing, or that I'm an arrogant ******** for whatever reason, that's on you. I'll just keep enjoying the game and play how I want. Don't blame me when you feel offended over a baseless assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom