• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
4.0-5886 is newer, but I don't know if it is the newest.
Right, i think there is a newer build, but when looking through it, i dont see any netplay options anywhere in the menu's. Am i supposed to just overwrite the files of the original netplay build or something?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Right, i think there is a newer build, but when looking through it, i dont see any netplay options anywhere in the menu's. Am i supposed to just overwrite the files of the original netplay build or something?
There are special builds that you are supposed to use that have Netplay capabilities. Not all versions of Dolphin can do netplay, so you wouldn't have the option if you are just scrolling through the website looking for the newest build.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm looking for a computer under $300 that can run this smoothly. Any ideas?
$300 is a seriously low budget for a good pc. You might want to consider saving up at least 500 first. Anyways, you should go with the Pentium G3258 processor as it is Haswell (4th generation) and overclockable with a Z97 motherboard. It has serious single thread performance (which is what Dolphin requires, it relies heavily on the CPU, not GPU like most PC games). You can overclock it very high with the stock cooler and the air because it doesn't use much power and it will perform similar to the highest end processors in Dolphin. 4GB of RAM is sufficient, and as for the graphics card you can get away with very little since Dolphin doesn't need a good video card unless you want to play 1080p+, but in order to future proof your machine you should get something that isn't total crap, I would go with the GTX 750 ti. It's basically the best price/performance budget graphics card.

Basically, build your own computer. Prebuilt computers offer you crap hardware for overpriced prices and you can't tailor the computer to your needs. Get started on pcpartpicker or the buildapc subreddit. It's pretty easy to build it, the hard part is getting the optimal parts. Again my recommendation is a Pentium G3258, Z97 motherboard, 4GB RAM, and a GTX 750 ti. You probably wont get that for $300, but at least stick the with processor/motherboard choice, it's the cheapest and best for Dolphin.

There are special builds that you are supposed to use that have Netplay capabilities. Not all versions of Dolphin can do netplay, so you wouldn't have the option if you are just scrolling through the website looking for the newest build.
All builds of Dolphin have Netplay capabilities. You can find it under tools->start netplay. However, you must use the same build of Dolphin as your opponent to prevent desyncs. Because of this, we choose to settle on a recent build of Dolphin and then update as a community whenever there is something worth updating for. Currently, we use 4.0-6554.

Last edited:

Heavy Gomez

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyGomer
so I tried to play some netplay with a buddy of mine recently and he had the weirdest **** happen to him.

when he plays alone on dolphin his controller works perfectly fine.
when he plays on netplay only his sticks and triggers work, buttons do absolutely nothing.
he's using a 360 controller on dolphin build 4.0-5886, any idea what could be causing this?

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
$300 is a seriously low budget for a good pc. You might want to consider saving up at least 500 first. Anyways, you should go with the Pentium G3258 processor as it is Haswell (4th generation) and overclockable with a Z97 motherboard. It has serious single thread performance (which is what Dolphin requires, it relies heavily on the CPU, not GPU like most PC games). You can overclock it very high with the stock cooler and the air because it doesn't use much power and it will perform similar to the highest end processors in Dolphin. 4GB of RAM is sufficient, and as for the graphics card you can get away with very little since Dolphin doesn't need a good video card unless you want to play 1080p+, but in order to future proof your machine you should get something that isn't total crap, I would go with the GTX 750 ti. It's basically the best price/performance budget graphics card.

Basically, build your own computer. Prebuilt computers offer you crap hardware for overpriced prices and you can't tailor the computer to your needs. Get started on pcpartpicker or the buildapc subreddit. It's pretty easy to build it, the hard part is getting the optimal parts. Again my recommendation is a Pentium G3258, Z97 motherboard, 4GB RAM, and a GTX 750 ti. You probably wont get that for $300, but at least stick the with processor/motherboard choice, it's the cheapest and best for Dolphin.
Any suggestions for other parts? I know nothing about computers

Y-L

Smash Champion
so I tried to play some netplay with a buddy of mine recently and he had the weirdest **** happen to him.

when he plays alone on dolphin his controller works perfectly fine.
when he plays on netplay only his sticks and triggers work, buttons do absolutely nothing.
he's using a 360 controller on dolphin build 4.0-5886, any idea what could be causing this?
I suggest he take a look at the gc pad settings while the game is running on netplay and see if he can remap the keys then.

Any suggestions for other parts? I know nothing about computers
Pcpartpicker.com will make sure the parts you pick are compatible. One thing beginners do is cheap out on the power supply which you don't want to do. Get one that is at least 80+ bronze (there is a filter) from a reputable brand (corsair, evga, something like that). I could probably put something together for you let me see..

Here's something I quickly threw together that's about $425 for a pretty damned future proof build that allows for upgrades should you ever need them http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pz6nhM

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
Pcpartpicker.com will make sure the parts you pick are compatible. One thing beginners do is cheap out on the power supply which you don't want to do. Get one that is at least 80+ bronze (there is a filter) from a reputable brand (corsair, evga, something like that). I could probably put something together for you let me see..

Here's something I quickly threw together that's about $425 for a pretty damned future proof build that allows for upgrades should you ever need them http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pz6nhM
How well will this computer work for other things because I'm not willing to spend $400 on a computer that I can't also use for real things

Y-L

Smash Champion
How well will this computer work for other things because I'm not willing to spend $400 on a computer that I can't also use for real things
Right, that's why I suggested you go with the 750 ti as opposed to some ****ty graphics card. You should be able to do some pretty decent gaming as well and everyday tasks will run pretty smoothly as well. Is there anything in particular you had in mind? Also the great thing about this build is the future proof upgradability. The Z97 motherboard allows you do upgrade to any 4th gen i3/i5/i7 processor (and unlocked processors to overclock) and there are 3 extra RAM slots so you can definitely upgrade to 8GB of RAM if you ever feel you need it.

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
Right, that's why I suggested you go with the 750 ti as opposed to some ****ty graphics card. You should be able to do some pretty decent gaming as well and everyday tasks will run pretty smoothly as well. Is there anything in particular you had in mind? Also the great thing about this build is the future proof upgradability. The Z97 motherboard allows you do upgrade to any 4th gen i3/i5/i7 processor (and unlocked processors to overclock) and there are 3 extra RAM slots so you can definitely upgrade to 8GB of RAM if you ever feel you need it.
Thanks, I'll look into it. Also, how long will this computer last?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks, I'll look into it. Also, how long will this computer last?
Usually hardware is modernly relevant for like 3-5 years, but like I said, I made sure it was upgradable. By relevant I mean being on par with modern pc games and stuff like that. In terms of the pc actually working, should be fine for like at least 10 years lol

Spunkers

Smash Rookie
"Failed to load D3DCompiler_42.dll, update your DX11 runtime, please" Is an error I keep getting. I've tried several things to get this error to stop appearing but no luck. Please help? Sorry if this has been answered before.
have you figured this out Kazu? because I have been facing the same problem.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Seems like I should be getting an easy 60fps on 652 with this setup but performance jumps all over the place depending on the settings, any suggestions?

Edit: OpenGL with Vertex Streaming Hack seem to help a lot

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Seems like I should be getting an easy 60fps on 652 with this setup but performance jumps all over the place depending on the settings, any suggestions?

Edit: OpenGL with Vertex Streaming Hack seem to help a lot
Your specs are way more than what's required. You should really update to the latest build, 4.0-6554.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Your specs are way more than what's required. You should really update to the latest build, 4.0-6554.
Yeah I fixed it. If I update will I have any problems with people on older builds of dolphin? Though it seems like everyone should be updating anyway

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yeah I fixed it. If I update will I have any problems with people on older builds of dolphin? Though it seems like everyone should be updating anyway
No you can have multiple versions of dolphin. Support was dropped for 652 on smashladder and the server is going to go offline for 652 soon.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
Looking for some help. I just got Netplay two days ago. I played successfully with one opponent, and haven't been able to connect to anyone else since, whether hosting or joining. I have 6554 and my traversal is dolphin.smashladder.com:6262

I have Dual Core, Idle Skipping, and Cheats all enabled, with the only cheat active being Global Netplay Settings. No memory cards in, no firewall. Trying to connect gives the message 'Failed to connect' and my opponents get the same if they try to connect to me when I host. Any help is appreciated!

pkmaximum

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking about building a setup to do some online dolphin for melee. How is the general overall consensus for performance these days compared to playing locally? Is lag/latency still a pretty major issue?

I should note, my network specs:

75 mbps down and up
Ping typically below 30ms.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm thinking about building a setup to do some online dolphin for melee. How is the general overall consensus for performance these days compared to playing locally? Is lag/latency still a pretty major issue?

I should note, my network specs:

75 mbps down and up
Ping typically below 30ms.
Assuming you use the Wii U adapter, lag is usually 3-5 frames. It's pretty good. Your net is fine, your ping will be variable based on the location of your opponent, because you ping your opponent. What are you going to build?

pkmaximum

Smash Cadet
Assuming you use the Wii U adapter, lag is usually 3-5 frames. It's pretty good. Your net is fine, your ping will be variable based on the location of your opponent, because you ping your opponent. What are you going to build?
My budget is $3K So I'll probably have someone else who just recently build a gaming rig pick the parts for me lol. I used to have more time to customize everything, these days I go for simplicity haha.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks! Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not too fluent in networking. What does a 1ms response tie monitor specifically do?
He's suggesting you get a low input lag monitor. Response time =/= input lag though. What other things do you plan to do with your pc? 3k is a huge budget. You could build a top of the line pc for 1.5k. Are you planning on doing 4k or something? I could help you put together something.

Last edited:

pkmaximum

Smash Cadet
He's suggesting you get a low input lag monitor. Response time =/= input lag though. What other things do you plan to do with your pc? 3k is a huge budget. You could build a top of the line pc for 1.5k. Are you planning on doing 4k or something? I could help you put together something.

Didn't have anything specific in mind. Not trying to launch a shuttle. $3K is my budget, but if it comes out to $1.5K then that's what I spend lol.

I appreciate the offer to help build it, but I already have a friend on the job. If he falls through though, I'm glad there are awesome people like yourself I can turn to! :)

-eX-

Smash Rookie
Running a Mac OS X 10.10.3 and have been using 4.0-652 single port with my 4-port Mayflash adapter. I decided to upgrade to native support on 4.0-5886 and use area's GCN Wii U OS X drivers to make my adapter actually work with all the ports it was designed to have. However, even though the "Direct Connect" option appears and is checked off, the controllers that I have still do not work! I followed all the steps in Terminal to apply the smashenabler.kext file and I checked to make sure it was working properly (IOService instead of IOSHIDsomething something) and it says it is, which is why the option appears. Once I go into 20XX though, nothing. Any help??

Y-L

Smash Champion
Running a Mac OS X 10.10.3 and have been using 4.0-652 single port with my 4-port Mayflash adapter. I decided to upgrade to native support on 4.0-5886 and use area's GCN Wii U OS X drivers to make my adapter actually work with all the ports it was designed to have. However, even though the "Direct Connect" option appears and is checked off, the controllers that I have still do not work! I followed all the steps in Terminal to apply the smashenabler.kext file and I checked to make sure it was working properly (IOService instead of IOSHIDsomething something) and it says it is, which is why the option appears. Once I go into 20XX though, nothing. Any help??
First of all, latest build is 6554, not 5886. You should use the guide here https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index...._Controller_Adapter_for_Wii_U_in_Dolphin#OS_X

BEING_IT ϟ

Smash Rookie
Super excited about getting into Melee, decided this is the best route to practice for now (considering I'll have to build my own scene). Not too knowledgeable on a good build for this though, would anyone mind helping with suggestions for a PC around the ~$700 range?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Super excited about getting into Melee, decided this is the best route to practice for now (considering I'll have to build my own scene). Not too knowledgeable on a good build for this though, would anyone mind helping with suggestions for a PC around the ~$700 range?
I'd love to help you out with that. Just got a few questions. Is this build for the pc or does it need peripherals too (monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS)? Do you plan to do other stuff with it like pc game?

Assuming you don't need peripherals, I think this would suit your needs fantastically.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hKNCnQ

Last edited:

BEING_IT ϟ

Smash Rookie
I'd love to help you out with that. Just got a few questions. Is this build for the pc or does it need peripherals too (monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS)? Do you plan to do other stuff with it like pc game?

Assuming you don't need peripherals, I think this would suit your needs fantastically.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hKNCnQ
Thank you so much! This is perfect lol, now to learn how to set it all up ^^

Y-L

Smash Champion
Lol, you're making this even easier! Thanks for all these resources, definitely getting into Melee even sooner because of you =]
Make sure you get the Nintendo or Mayflash 4 port adapter as well, they offer the least input latency because they are compatible with Dolphin's native support.

Nintendaholic

Smash Rookie
Why is melee running at 30 fps on my brand new Lenovo Y50 UHD? I have tried with many different settings but I am getting the same crappy results.I have even seen people online running pm off older versions of this laptop so i know it can handle melee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Why is melee running at 30 fps on my brand new Lenovo Y50 UHD? I have tried with many different settings but I am getting the same crappy results.I have even seen people online running pm off older versions of this laptop so i know it can handle melee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Set your power plan to high performance, for one thing.

Top Bottom