• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
My pc has these specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Rendor: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M

Would I be able to possibly run netplay on my pc?

Y-L

Smash Champion
My pc has these specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Rendor: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M

Would I be able to possibly run netplay on my pc?
Yep I have a laptop with the same specs minus the graphics card. It'll run perfect. I would set the graphics adapter in dolphin to the integrated graphics though, they can do 2x IR. The reason you should do this is because in multimedia laptops, the cpu and gpu heatsink are shared which can cause cpu to overheat faster.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
Yep I have a laptop with the same specs minus the graphics card. It'll run perfect. I would set the graphics adapter in dolphin to the integrated graphics though, they can do 2x IR. The reason you should do this is because in multimedia laptops, the cpu and gpu heatsink are shared which can cause cpu to overheat faster.
ok man thanks for the reply! I am just happy I have a computer that can run it lol!

ilysm

sleepy
Apologies if this has been dealt with somewhere, but does 4.0-652 support the ability to read Mayflash's 4-port adapter in Wii U mode? I'm trying to get the adapter to allow multiple people to play on the same computer, but the drivers don't appear to be working. The easy install package given on the Dolphin Wiki does not appear to do anything, and I'm worried the build may be too old. Has anyone else had luck in this area?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Apologies if this has been dealt with somewhere, but does 4.0-652 support the ability to read Mayflash's 4-port adapter in Wii U mode? I'm trying to get the adapter to allow multiple people to play on the same computer, but the drivers don't appear to be working. The easy install package given on the Dolphin Wiki does not appear to do anything, and I'm worried the build may be too old. Has anyone else had luck in this area?
No 652 doesn't support wii u mode, that build is over a year old. You'll have to use pc mode.

ilysm

sleepy
Oh ok. When I change the 'Input/0' in the controller configuration menu to 'Input/1' for Port 2 on the adapter, and set Pad 2 to Standard Controller, it recognizes that there is another player in game but the controller won't do anything.

Skeptixz

Smash Cadet
Oh ok. When I change the 'Input/0' in the controller configuration menu to 'Input/1' for Port 2 on the adapter, and set Pad 2 to Standard Controller, it recognizes that there is another player in game but the controller won't do anything.
sometimes pressing 'refresh' fixes it for me

Y-L

Smash Champion
Remember in config->gamecube you have to set a second standard controller. In the netplay window you also hit configure pads->and put the other controller in.

ilysm

sleepy
Done and done. My config -> gamecube looks like this and my config -> pads looks like this. In the 'Melee' section of the game, it shows the P2 hand—as if there's a controller plugged in—but the game won't respond to the controller. Sorry this has been such a bother, I just can't for the life of me figure out why this refuses to work as it should.

ARBITER WARPIG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARBITERWARPIG
My specs are:
Processor: AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.70 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 620 Ti

Any good?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
My specs are:
Processor: AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.70 GHz
Video Card: GeForce GTX 620 Ti

Any good?
Sorry but I don't think that will be able to run Netplay. You need a strong single thread cpu to perform well in Dolphin. You have a low end AMD cpu. Plus AMD have weak single thread performance. Feel free to try it out for yourself though.

ARBITER WARPIG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARBITERWARPIG
Sorry but I don't think that will be able to run Netplay. You need a strong single thread cpu to perform well in Dolphin. You have a low end AMD cpu. Plus AMD have weak single thread performance. Feel free to try it out for yourself though.
Well. ****.

ARBITER WARPIG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARBITERWARPIG
I don't really know what would be best for me, what would you reccomend?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
My stats are:

Processor: Intel i7-4500U @ 1.8GHz

And no dedicated GPU.

I feel like it probably won't work well because of my clock speed, but I just wanted to get another opinion on it.

Y-L

Smash Champion
My stats are:

Processor: Intel i7-4500U @ 1.8GHz

And no dedicated GPU.

I feel like it probably won't work well because of my clock speed, but I just wanted to get another opinion on it.
U series processors tend not to run well for Dolphin, since the U means ultra low voltage which means they slow down to conserve energy. However, it is a 4th gen i7 so I can't really say, you should definitely give it a shot.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
OK, so I tested Melee 1.02 w/ the linked Dolphin in the OP. The results I got (in FPS) are:

FD: 60
PS (Normal): 60
PS (Water): 54 while transforming into, 60 while in the form, 60 while transforming out of
PS (Rock): 60, 60, 60
PS (Fire): 60, 60, 60
FoD: ~50, occasionally dips down to 48 or goes up to 52
BF: 60
Yoshi's: 60

DL: 60

So basically, it's fine a majority of the time if you don't have FoD.

Y-L

Smash Champion
OK, so I tested Melee 1.02 w/ the linked Dolphin in the OP. The results I got (in FPS) are:

FD: 60
PS (Normal): 60
PS (Water): 54 while transforming into, 60 while in the form, 60 while transforming out of
PS (Rock): 60, 60, 60
PS (Fire): 60, 60, 60
FoD: ~50, occasionally dips down to 48 or goes up to 52
BF: 60
Yoshi's: 60

DL: 60

So basically, it's fine a majority of the time if you don't have FoD.
To be expected since FOD is the most demanding stage followed by PS. You should try the new netplay build, 4.0-5886 as performance is increased.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
To be expected since FOD is the most demanding stage followed by PS. You should try the new netplay build, 4.0-5886 as performance is increased.
I deleted the old build, installed the new one, and ran it. When I went to FoD, I got a huge gray screen that covered everything but the leftmost eighth of the screen and it ran at 4 FPS. I waited about a minute and a half for the match to start and it never sped up, the sound worked (although it was extremely choppy), the gray blob grew, Dolphin crashed after about half a minute, and my memory card is now corrupted. I'll try re-downloading it to see if it was just a fault with Dolphin (I didn't change anything about the ISO or my memory card since the last time I used Dolphin).

EDIT: Cleared the Dolphin data cache, didn't fix anything.

EDIT 2: Went back to the old build, it works like it did before (except my memory card is still corrupted)

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I deleted the old build, installed the new one, and ran it. When I went to FoD, I got a huge gray screen that covered everything but the leftmost eighth of the screen and it ran at 4 FPS. I waited about a minute and a half for the match to start and it never sped up, the sound worked (although it was extremely choppy), the gray blob grew, Dolphin crashed after about half a minute, and my memory card is now corrupted. I'll try re-downloading it to see if it was just a fault with Dolphin (I didn't change anything about the ISO or my memory card since the last time I used Dolphin).

EDIT: Cleared the Dolphin data cache, didn't fix anything.

EDIT 2: Went back to the old build, it works like it did before (except my memory card is still corrupted)
You should update your graphics driver. If that doesn't fix it, switch graphics backends in Dolphin. Also you shouldn't use memory cards. They desync the new build if they're on. Use the Global Melee Netplay Setting AR code to unlock everything.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You should update your graphics driver. If that doesn't fix it, switch graphics backends in Dolphin. Also you shouldn't use memory cards. They desync the new build if they're on. Use the Global Melee Netplay Setting AR code to unlock everything.
Graphics drivers were already updated to the newest version, but I re-re-downloaded the new Dolphin build and switched from OpenGL to Direct3D, now it is working better than it was on the old build. There are random lagspikes every once in a while (I did a CPU match and noticed one time that it went down to 56 for a second, then back up) and it's about 35-40 FPS whenever the ready sign is up, but it's all better whenever Go pops up. Thanks for all of your help! Now I just need to figure out how to make my Nintendo GC Adapter work.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
OK, now I'm having trouble with the GC adapter. I have the standard Nintendo one from release (bundled with Sm4sh) and a GC controller plugged into it. I've had the vJoy driver for a while until it suddenly stopped working early February. Since then I've deleted it, but I re-downloaded it and it still isn't recognizing any of the ports. The adapter itself works fine (tested all ports with Sm4sh) and I know the USB ports work fine, but I don't know what's wrong with the driver.

This is a picture of the driver:
DriverScreenshot.PNG

The driver build is from December 2014 and I'm currently running Windows 8.1. I installed and ran the program as an admin.

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that Windows 8.1 doesn't allow you to install unsigned drivers without restarting your computer in a different mode. The problem is resolved.

EDIT 2: Also, if you go to Task Manager, right-click on Dolphin, select Details, and then right click the thing it sends you to, you can change its priority level (on Realtime, there is absolutely no lag, even on FoD).

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
OK, now I'm having trouble with the GC adapter. I have the standard Nintendo one from release (bundled with Sm4sh) and a GC controller plugged into it. I've had the vJoy driver for a while until it suddenly stopped working early February. Since then I've deleted it, but I re-downloaded it and it still isn't recognizing any of the ports. The adapter itself works fine (tested all ports with Sm4sh) and I know the USB ports work fine, but I don't know what's wrong with the driver.

This is a picture of the driver:
View attachment 54944

The driver build is from December 2014 and I'm currently running Windows 8.1. I installed and ran the program as an admin.

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that Windows 8.1 doesn't allow you to install unsigned drivers without restarting your computer in a different mode. The problem is resolved.

EDIT 2: Also, if you go to Task Manager, right-click on Dolphin, select Details, and then right click the thing it sends you to, you can change its priority level (on Realtime, there is absolutely no lag, even on FoD).
You should use native support on the new build, not vJoy. Reduces input lag a lot.

CFood

Smash Cadet
I'm having a bit of a problem with "Enable Cheats"

Any time I try to start up Melee even locally, Dolphin crashes when I have that checked. But it works fine otherwise.

Any help?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm having a bit of a problem with "Enable Cheats"

Any time I try to start up Melee even locally, Dolphin crashes when I have that checked. But it works fine otherwise.

Any help?
You have a cheat on that's not global melee netplay settings causing the game to crash.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Not quite.

Check gecko codes as well.

Also, if that's not it, disable the global melee cheat and see if it starts. Odd thing is I don't remember there being the (Codes by Zauron, Internet Explorer...) bit at the end of the name.

Last edited:

CFood

Smash Cadet
Check gecko codes as well.

Also, if that's not it, disable the global melee cheat and see if it starts. Odd thing is I don't remember there being the (Codes by Zauron, Internet Explorer...) bit at the end of the name.
It does start now. I wonder if I need a different cheat list or something.

CFood

Smash Cadet
If you go to info->compute do you get 0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174 (checking if you have NTSC 1.02)? Also is there anything when you hit edit config?
I do not, I have 67136bd167b471e0ad72e98d10cf4356

Found a 1.02 rom, we'll see if that one works.

Alright it does, thanks for the help. V-L

Now I can actually try to do the Netplay part

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
so what is the latest build with netplay? ive been looking around a bit (while setting up my new laptop), and it seems none of the dev builds have a host netplay option, the only one i've found that does is the old 4.0-652. Is there something that needs to be done to add netplay to later builds?

maybe im just missing something.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
so what is the latest build with netplay? ive been looking around a bit (while setting up my new laptop), and it seems none of the dev builds have a host netplay option, the only one i've found that does is the old 4.0-652. Is there something that needs to be done to add netplay to later builds?

maybe im just missing something.
4.0-5886 is newer, but I don't know if it is the newest.

Top Bottom