• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Rian

Smash Cadet
Me and my friend regularly played Melee using Netplay. Now, all of a sudden, we have latency during play. Weirdly, when we are in the chat together we still have our normal ping (~20ms), however when we boot it up our ping suddenly rises to ~60ms and becomes completely unplayable. Furthermore, when we set a higher pad buffer the latency increases to insane value as ~400ms, which is weird right (I thought frame buffer was to synchronize and has nothing to do with the amount of data send to each other). Any tips?

Skoop

Smash Rookie
This is really fun to do! I actually just got the mayflash adapter and everything seems to work right except for one thing. When I'm standing on the ground the cstick will not work at all when trying to attack left, and will work occasionally when attacking right. Up and down work perfectly. The funny thing is that in the air the cstick works perfectly in all directions. anyone experienced a similar issue? I've updated the drivers and configured the controller. Thanks.
I had this exact same problem. Changing the c-stick's radius to 100(from the default 70) fixed it for me. Apparently the new version of dolphin sets the radius to 70 by default now or something. I know on 3.5 I didn't have an issue.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friend regularly played Melee using Netplay. Now, all of a sudden, we have latency during play. Weirdly, when we are in the chat together we still have our normal ping (~20ms), however when we boot it up our ping suddenly rises to ~60ms and becomes completely unplayable. Furthermore, when we set a higher pad buffer the latency increases to insane value as ~400ms, which is weird right (I thought frame buffer was to synchronize and has nothing to do with the amount of data send to each other). Any tips?
That's really weird. The first thing that comes to mind is that you're saturating your upload bandwidth. Do you have torrents running?

Rian

Smash Cadet
That's really weird. The first thing that comes to mind is that you're saturating your upload bandwidth. Do you have torrents running?
The obvious question, but we checked it using both resmon and HWinfo64, and in both cases we had an up and download rate of around 15kb/s. To give you guys an idea what I am talking about check the following screens:

Ping rises significantly when the framebuffer is increased. Regarding the FPS, this was never an issue (we used to run 60fps smoothly) until now. Furthermore, we used to run around 20ms latency, which it still is in idle mode. However, when starting it rises.

Can anyone confirm this is ISP issue?

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
im planning to build my own pc in aabout a week and im planning on going with Intel Core i5 4440 (3.10GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 4GB DDR3 is this sufficient enough for pm and melee online?

Last edited:

Kazu

Smash Rookie
"Failed to load D3DCompiler_42.dll, update your DX11 runtime, please" Is an error I keep getting. I've tried several things to get this error to stop appearing but no luck. Please help? Sorry if this has been answered before.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
Is this still fairly active? I've always wanted to learn competitive Smash play but never had the means (no decent friends to practice with, and my previous computer couldn't handle Dolphin). Is it still worthwhile to go out and buy the adapter / controller necessary for this?

Thank you.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Is this even worth trying to play if I only have Intel HD Graphics card?
I believe that the processor(and it's speed) and the RAM are more important than the graphics card. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though, I'm not super well-versed in this.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
im planning to build my own pc in aabout a week and im planning on going with Intel Core i5 4440 (3.10GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 4GB DDR3 is this sufficient enough for pm and melee online?
Those will run both melee & PM perfectly. The problem with PM is it does require a better computer than melee and if your opponents computer is struggling, then yours will be forced to slow down creating some choppiness. So getting perfect melee games is much more common.

Is this still fairly active? I've always wanted to learn competitive Smash play but never had the means (no decent friends to practice with, and my previous computer couldn't handle Dolphin). Is it still worthwhile to go out and buy the adapter / controller necessary for this?
Netplay is very active & getting bigger. I never have to wait more than 5 mins to find a match when I play during the evenings.

Probably not. If your graphics card is that weak the rest of the computer (including the processor which is the main component for emulation on dolphin) is probably not going to be able to run the game smoothly, online, with 2 people.

danny135

Smash Apprentice
Before I got a desktop I played on my laptop which only had an Intel HD 4000, and it ran fine except FoD was a little too slow. If you have an Intel HD newer than the 4000, it'll definitely be good enough. If it's older, then probably not. CPU matters more, though.

Zoler

Smash Ace
"Within dolphin, you must set the default iso directory (under the File Menu,) to the folder where that ISO is being stored."

I can't click "Set as default ISO". I haven't even done anything else than download Dolphin and the Melee ISO.

Pontus

Smash Apprentice
I really really want to know, is there any way to play with hacked textures on dolphin (melee online) cause i really wanna have custom textures. I cant seem to find any way to do this.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Here are my specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor
4GB RAM

but I'm only getting 52 FPS. I haven't even tried netplay yet because I can't even run the full FPS by playing alone lol.

Most likely the reason is my ****ty graphics card right? (Intel HD Graphics)

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i wanna say its both the processor and graphics card
Here are my specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor
4GB RAM

but I'm only getting 52 FPS. I haven't even tried netplay yet because I can't even run the full FPS by playing alone lol.

Most likely the reason is my ****ty graphics card right? (Intel HD Graphics)
i want to say its the graphics card and processor

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I can personally confirm that a stock clocked i5 3570k with intel hd graphics runs melee and pm 60fps teams using dolphin 4.0 652 with melee netplay codes/3.02 iso. I assume an i3/5/7 3xxx or greater wouldn't have any problems running this either and ill be buying an i3 soon to test this/make a htpc

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
So, I played my first match against a competent opponent in like 5 years just now. This is what I learned.

1) Logitech controllers suck. I advise everyone to get an GC adapter ASAP.
2) It was really fun!
3) Did I mention the Logitech controller blows?

On the bright side, I got sent off stage, and the Peach got greedy and came down after me. I meant to panic up b but I did Raptor Boost, and the Peach got spiked. :cool: At least Falcon can suck in style.

Last edited:

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I can personally confirm that a stock clocked i5 3570k with intel hd graphics runs melee and pm 60fps teams using dolphin 4.0 652 with melee netplay codes/3.02 iso. I assume an i3/5/7 3xxx or greater wouldn't have any problems running this either and ill be buying an i3 soon to test this/make a htpc
Good to know about the Intel graphics.
I can personally confirm that a 1st-gen i3 at stock clocks can handle Melee and Brawl. I'm not so sure on the 1st-gen graphics side; from what I remember from 3 years ago, either 1.5x IR or 2x IR struggled to get 60FPS, and it could only really do it in custom stages. Dolphin is probably faster nowadays, though.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
i3 380UM and Intel HD [integrated] Graphics and I run Dolphin Melee just fine. Haven't tried netplay yet however, but I would assume that's just going to be internet quality if it works fine offline.

danschemen

Smash Rookie
I was wondering how important is the "Within dolphin, you must set the default iso directory (under the File Menu,) to the folder where that ISO is being stored." Cause I tried to get it working and I looked over the guide multiple times and I can't figure out why it won't work. I haven't tried hosting yet. I was going to play someone from the chat and every time when the game was about to start up dolphin would crash.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
I highly doubt this is the problem, but are your firewalls / ports allowing complete access? I've known routers to make complications of stuff like this.

Smed

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, my friend and I are trying to get netplay to work, and he can't seem to find Global Melee Netplay Settings under AR codes. We're using Dolphin emulator v.4.0.1 and we got the ROM for Melee from http://coolrom.com/roms/gcn/40382/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee_(v1.02).php

Someone mind helping us? Thanks!
Gotta use 4.0-652 man. I had the same problem when I used my old ISO file though. Downloaded a new one (I think it was from coolrom) and the AR codes are preloaded.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it just included the standard opt-out-of adware on installation. No actual malware with my rom, but getting a 1.02 elsewhere shouldn't be too difficult.
This raises another important question that I didn't find answered in the first page. Why is 1.02 aka as the worst and ****tiest version required? Can't I just get 1.00 or 1.01 with someone and play that instead?

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
So, is it possible to create a low res Project M texture pack for those of us with struggling PCs? I would go as far as solid colors for the characters and removing the backgrounds from stages. Usability over graphics. It would allow more people to play at 1080p as well.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
coolrom is fine, just use the "ALTERNATIVE DOWNLOAD" link on each download page instead of whatever garbage they use now as default

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
So, is it possible to create a low res Project M texture pack for those of us with struggling PCs? I would go as far as solid colors for the characters and removing the backgrounds from stages. Usability over graphics. It would allow more people to play at 1080p as well.
Sure, you can even do this yourself. Turn on texture dumping, play a lot, write a script to shrink every texture down 4x (or whatever you need), and send the results to the custom textures folder.

I should probably warn you that this may not actually increase performance at all. If you can't run Brawl full speed at 1xIR, it's doubtful your PC is anywhere near good enough to run netplay. Get off your Pentium 4 plz.

Last edited:

EricMory

Smash Rookie
My laptop specs are:

- Intel i7 (8 CPUs) @ 2.2GHz
- Intel 4000HD graphics
- 8GB RAM

I am able to play on FD, Battlefield, and Dream Land at 60 FPS, but I have trouble with FoD, Pokemon, and Yoshi's.

Is the problem here my graphics card? If yes, is there any setting in dolphin to decrease the graphics output to hopefully make it smoother?

Someone in IRC was saying that my processor might be the problem, since 2.2GHz is a bit low for Dolphin.

Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
im having this problem with 4.0-648 and 652 my specs are intel i5-4440, nvidia GTX650, 4gb of ram. The problem im having is the game runs a 60FPS online and offline but the game looks choppy in a sense i dont think im explaining in right but has anyone experienced this?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
im having this problem with 4.0-648 and 652 my specs are intel i5-4440, nvidia GTX650, 4gb of ram. The problem im having is the game runs a 60FPS online and offline but the game looks choppy in a sense i dont think im explaining in right but has anyone experienced this?
I experienced this when moving from an old version (3.5-348 or something like that) to a (then) newer one (3.5-860 or something). I don't recall having this problem in the newest versions, but it could be that I've just grown used to it.

tl;dr Try a newer revision, or redownload if you're on the latest.

Top Bottom