• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Jr.

Smash Rookie
Hi all,
I've download Dolphin 4.0-652 to play Melee after reading this topic.
My problem : fps between 50 and 60 during fight and goes to 10 to 60 on some menues and other screens. I've unchecked some options but nothing makes the game up to 60fps.
I'm a bit disapointed since I thought my computer could handle it :

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM / Available OS Memory: 3872MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Is there something to I can do ? :/

edit : oh, and i have an NVIDIA GeForce 610M in my computer but Dolphin just reconised the HD graphics 3000

Last edited:

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
@ Jr. Jr. I've heard that checking DSPLLE on separate thread in audio config can speed things up significantly. Other than that just google around, it seems like you should be able to run it, though the issue might be Dolphin not recognizing your card, that's very odd. Do you have the latest drivers for the 610M? NVIDIA has a very nice driver manager called GeForce Experience, highly recommend it.

My issue is I'm trying to play with a friend (east coast to west coast) and we're having insane lag when trying to start up a game no matter what settings/etc we choose. Set up everything exactly as it is in the guide and we're both using x86 for multiplayer (earlier I was using x64), but nothing seems to help, messed with the buffer a lot and even with huge buffer I still get lag spikes (and of course the input delay makes it totally unplayable). Any advice would be great, thanks.

stelzig

Smash Lord
So I keep blaming windows 8 for having input lag in dolphin, but since I recently noticed that I can't even dash dance in melee on it, and people keep bothering me about playing... Does anyone know if I need to fix some settings somewhere to make the controller work without input lag and with allowing me to actually dashdance? (i'm talking just offline here by the way, not even tried netplay)

I have a raphnet adapter. Have changed the radius to 100 and I do use DInput.

Edit: I tested with sms at some point (where controls at least seem smooth, just behind) and it looks like the preview in GCpad settings isn't behind, just what actually happens in the emulation.

Last edited:

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
@ Jr. Jr. I've heard that checking DSPLLE on separate thread in audio config can speed things up significantly. Other than that just google around, it seems like you should be able to run it, though the issue might be Dolphin not recognizing your card, that's very odd. Do you have the latest drivers for the 610M? NVIDIA has a very nice driver manager called GeForce Experience, highly recommend it.

My issue is I'm trying to play with a friend (east coast to west coast) and we're having insane lag when trying to start up a game no matter what settings/etc we choose. Set up everything exactly as it is in the guide and we're both using x86 for multiplayer (earlier I was using x64), but nothing seems to help, messed with the buffer a lot and even with huge buffer I still get lag spikes (and of course the input delay makes it totally unplayable). Any advice would be great, thanks.
DSPLLE On Thread will not help netplay (which uses HLE), and it's recommended off for normal use.

Your lag seems to be from an unstable connection. First, check that you both have a decent amount of bandwidth free (I leave ~150kbps for download and upload each), and failing that, try pinging servers near each other and reporting back.

So I keep blaming windows 8 for having input lag in dolphin, but since I recently noticed that I can't even dash dance in melee on it, and people keep bothering me about playing... Does anyone know if I need to fix some settings somewhere to make the controller work without input lag and with allowing me to actually dashdance? (i'm talking just offline here by the way, not even tried netplay)

I have a raphnet adapter. Have changed the radius to 100 and I do use DInput.

Edit: I tested with sms at some point (where controls at least seem smooth, just behind) and it looks like the preview in GCpad settings isn't behind, just what actually happens in the emulation.
There is no lag with Raphnet offline... Here let me give you something EVERYBODY needs to do if you have Win7 or Vista.

1. Press the Start icon.
2. Search Services and press the gear icon.
3. Find on that list Desktop Window Manager Session Manager, right click it and disable.
4. Run your dolphin.

Now you will have 3 less frames of input delay and feels like CRT! =)
Not sure if it works in Windows 8. Microsoft made way too many bad decisions with Windows 8.

Keep up the great SMS work, and go for that sub-1:20!

Last edited:

Amairin

Smash Rookie
Guys, I seem to be having trouble getting dolphin to work consistently. 9 times out of 10 it immediately goes unresponsive and closes. I've tried redownloading and re-extracting multiple times but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
@ Fishaman P Fishaman P
Thanks for the advice, and the note about DSPLLE. I get 25mbps to his area and 78 ping which I didn't think would be a big problem but perhaps it is with Dolphin? He has a similar or better connection (both have fiber) so I wasn't thinking that was the issue. We are cross country though (TN to WA) and I'm on University internet so there might be some issues there (including playing when too many other people are on). Do you have any idea what speeds/ping in general is required to play properly without much lag?

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
Guys, I seem to be having trouble getting dolphin to work consistently. 9 times out of 10 it immediately goes unresponsive and closes. I've tried redownloading and re-extracting multiple times but to no avail. Any suggestions?
exactly the same happens to me

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
you need a raphnet adapter version 2.1 (THOUGH IT MIGHT START AT 2.2) or greater for perfect dash dancing, that was a problem that got fixed from superboomfan and mine's whining to the raphnet dude. less than or equal to 2.1 is for casuals who wouldnt tell the difference

stelzig

Smash Lord
So I actually need a new adapter? Wow. Well as long as I also have the slight input lag issue then I guess i'll hold off on that.

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
@ M Menard did you set your thresholds properly in the controller settings? I had to mess around with them a bit to get one of my controllers working. Also not pressing down quite as far for the analog setup might've helped a bit.

a dude

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,
Today in the mail I got the Mayflash GC to PC adapter. I have configured the settings correctly but while playing Melee,
pressing the c-stick to the right does nothing and it is very hard to wavedash to the left (no problem wavedashing to the right).
Any ideas? Thanks

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
So I'm still having a lot of issues with the friend I'm attempting to play with. We both have excellent computers and 30/30 or better internet but because of our location (west coast to pretty far east) we have 100+ping at pretty much all times. This causes insane lag spikes and lag in general when playing on pretty much any stage. Is there anything we can do to minimize this or can we just not play each other properly?

TorretDunker

Smash Rookie
Hi guys I would like to play melee online but whenever i try dolphin crashes. I had this same issue playing net play with my friend on another version of dolphin and it was only fixed when we configured our emulators to have EXACTLY the same settings. Could someone who frequently plays online give me a list of the exact settings you use.

Gavin D.

Smash Cadet
IRC chat thing is not working. I have been on it a few times already, but now whenever i try to log on the text to the left says "Disconnected from server: Connection to IRC server failed." WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??!!!

Gavin D.

Smash Cadet
Hi guys I would like to play melee online but whenever i try dolphin crashes. I had this same issue playing net play with my friend on another version of dolphin and it was only fixed when we configured our emulators to have EXACTLY the same settings. Could someone who frequently plays online give me a list of the exact settings you use.
If you have dolphin 4.0-652 and download the melee iso, the only thing i had to change was enable cheats under config, and right clicking the game-- AR codes-- enable global melee settings. it works for me, but i haven't been able to play anyone because the IRC chatroom hasn't been working for me

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
@ Fishaman P Fishaman P
Thanks for the advice, and the note about DSPLLE. I get 25mbps to his area and 78 ping which I didn't think would be a big problem but perhaps it is with Dolphin? He has a similar or better connection (both have fiber) so I wasn't thinking that was the issue. We are cross country though (TN to WA) and I'm on University internet so there might be some issues there (including playing when too many other people are on). Do you have any idea what speeds/ping in general is required to play properly without much lag?
Well, 1 second / 60 fames = 16.7ms per frame. 78 ping will give you 5 frames of lag (half the size of Brawl's buffer window, for comparison). There isn't much you can do to change that.

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
i've been getting a lot of wierd errors lately; if i happen to think about it i'm gonna screen shot it next time.

but while hosting games and starting sometimes i'll get "Failed to recieve message" or something i forgot exactly and then dolphin will load with a white screen and freezes. even clicking x does nothing; i have to go into the task manager and end the process.
and other i had earlier was somethign like "Message failed to recieve id : 26"

if anyone knows anything about these let me know; i never seen that second one before today; but i get the first one alot.

EricTheRed

Smash Rookie
IRC chat thing is not working. I have been on it a few times already, but now whenever i try to log on the text to the left says "Disconnected from server: Connection to IRC server failed." WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??!!!
I'm getting the same error again and again. Can't connect to IRC at all. It must be a problem on their end since multiple people are getting it

Metal Gear Salad

Smash Apprentice
does one person using Windows 8 and another using Windows 7 make a difference? When either of us try to connect to one another, it just tries to connect forever and eventually gives up. I've played tons of games before, but never once encountered this problem.

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
Well, 1 second / 60 fames = 16.7ms per frame. 78 ping will give you 5 frames of lag (half the size of Brawl's buffer window, for comparison). There isn't much you can do to change that.
5 frames of lag is fine, the issue we're having is random insane frame rate drops. We'll be playing for a few seconds and its fine then suddenly it drops to sub 15 fps or just freezes for a bit. Then we're literally moving frame by frame for a while before it speeds back up again for a little bit. Both of us run the game perfectly when not on Netplay.

@ M Menard I found when setting the analog that not pushing it to where it starts to click sometimes worked a bit better. I have the thresholds at 80 for mine but I'd say fiddle around with all those settings to see if you can get it to work properly.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
5 frames of lag is fine, the issue we're having is random insane frame rate drops. We'll be playing for a few seconds and its fine then suddenly it drops to sub 15 fps or just freezes for a bit. Then we're literally moving frame by frame for a while before it speeds back up again for a little bit. Both of us run the game perfectly when not on Netplay.
The issue is with the network, no doubt about that. It might be something out of your control, like your ISP being bad, or something you can help, like external network traffic.

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
The issue is with the network, no doubt about that. It might be something out of your control, like your ISP being bad, or something you can help, like external network traffic.
It's probably other students on the internet here. The internet up/down is great but the traffic fluctuates a lot and that probably causes all sort of havoc to dolphin's abilities. We optimized a few more things in Dolphin and now Yoshi's is more or less playable (only a few lag spikes per match) so we'll go with that for now I guess. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

K$$$

Smash Journeyman
help me, im on a macbook pro it played fine then i enabled cheats and everytime i press start on the first screen it crashes what should i do?

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
help me, im on a macbook pro it played fine then i enabled cheats and everytime i press start on the first screen it crashes what should i do?
If the netplay cheat is working correctly, it should start you on the character screen.

Gavin D.

Smash Cadet
What does everyone use for the dead-zone and radius for their analog and c sticks? my courser moves really slow and I cant fix it, also, what is the best way to calibrate the L an R triggers? wavedash timing is trickier than usual... thx

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
anybody find a solution to the IRC chat not connecting properly? Are people using another method of communication?

Blast

Smash Rookie
I just tried to set up Netplay and everything is running fine except being able to join or host games. Every time I try to join I get a "Failed to connect" message and when I try to host the code at the top right is just 1-------. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I got the adapter in the mail no now, just to get my passport soon and get the adapter and ill be ready to play other europeans on a pro

fwb

Smash Cadet
Why isn't this stickied? Netplay is a huge help for getting better and if this happens to not be on the first page some new people might miss it. Sticky plz!

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Can we make a netplay scene for SD Remix? Playing it on console is complex, but those of us who play Netplay are pretty familiar with the tech, so I think it could really catch on online. Since I started playing Netplay, I thought it would be neat to be able to play that. It would be nice to play that online, so one doesn't grow accustomed to the online timing of Vanilla Melee Netplay. If anyone on the east coast wants to try playing with me, PM me.

Last edited:

Mega Manny

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mannerz
i was getting a new computer anyway. but now i kindve want one to match the specs needed for net play. Any suggestions for a laptop with specs decent enough for netplay to run thats a decent price? o:

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
Hey guys, i have a simple question regarding net play setup (hopefully at least)
The guide mentions going to the AR section after right clicking the ISO file in dolphin and enabling the Global Melee Net play cheat... but my list of AR codes doesn't include it for some reason. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom