• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do patches scare you?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I feel like my main is at a point where he is clearly mid tier but his playstyle is such that if he (duck hunt) catches the right buff he would be a problem, so I'm not to mad. Like if he had a killing throw, considering he has a good grab and all kinds of ways to get them.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Do patches scare me? Well, I main Robin...

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Robin just got a sizable buff to the wind jab, didn't he?
It links a lot better, but the character does still have some very important fundamental flaws.

Edit: Specifically, this is how it got changed:

Rapid Jab Loop
hits on frames 3/8/13/18/23/28 -> 4/8/12/16/20/24/28
hitbox
kbg 100 -> 30
wkb 16 -> 0
bkb 0 -> 14
SDI 0.7 -> 0.8​

Rapid Jab Final Hit
animation speed 2.0x for frames 1-7 (3 frames faster)
hitbox
damage 3 -> 2
kbg 160 -> 186
x 13 -> 15​

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Robin just got a sizable buff to the wind jab, didn't he?
He got a wind jab buff and a fire jab nerf. Basically, wind jab is an actual move now and is quite good while fire jab is...decent. It a pretty small net gain.

dyr

Smash Rookie
No, patches don't scare me anymore. They wouldn't possibly nerf Diddy a THIRD time... Right? I hope that the next patches fix what else is wrong with the game though so it can be much more enjoyable to play. It's still really good right now though.

Last edited:

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
Patches don't really scare me. Especially since I main Marcina. I feel Diddy had some unnecessary nerfs in the recent patch. But we're better off than how we were in beginning I suppose. I'm just hoping that they know what they're doing.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I play DeDeDe and Lucina, the only way is up. If either of them were to receive nerfs at this point, I would be genuinely astounded.

I welcome the patches.

Last edited:

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
I usually am intimidated when there's a new patch, because nerfing top tier characters and buffing some low tire ones seem to be the main focus, and ness and yoshi being my secondaries is always worrisome because there the only top tires that has been mostly untouched, and I can tell ness and yoshi are going to be the next to hit the axe.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I usually am intimidated when there's a new patch, because nerfing top tier characters and buffing some low tire ones seem to be the main focus, and ness and yoshi being my secondaries is always worrisome because there the only top tires that has been mostly untouched, and I can tell ness and yoshi are going to be the next to hit the axe.
Ness is underrated in Japan and Yoshi just isn't getting results, so I wouldn't be too concerned about those characters.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hell Ness got buffed in the latest patch of all things and Japan still doesn't believe he's a top 10 character.

But even if he were, I really just get the feeling Nintendo want Ness (and most of the original 12) to be good this game. Ness received a slight Dthrow nerf (-2%) and less hitstun on PKT1 so he couldn't chain into Uair guaranteed in the very first balance patch I'm pretty sure, other than that he either hasn't been touched or has been buffed (most of his changes have been aesthetic too, like Dthrow now shaking the screen or Fsmash 'cracking' when it reflects a projectile, etc.)

Idk for some reason I'm just not worried about Ness. His Bthrow isn't some AT Nintendo never knew about, it's been very obvious from the beginning they want him to have the most powerful throw in the game period. His PKT wall-bounce was also intended, considering you couldn't do it in Brawl and the data didn't change much.

For the conversation earlier, the reason Ness' Bthrow kills earlier than in any other smash game to date is because of rage. If not he'd be killing most of the cast at around 120%, which is close to what Melee and Brawl were.

And on the other side of the coin, LUCAS! Who's mid tier or maybe high mid but I'm not so sure. He can definitely use a few buffs in certain places, so yeah. Just not worried. :grin:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Patches sort of scare me, but in a bizarre way. I main Shulk, who hasn't been touched since 1.0.4, so while I'm not worried about nerfs, especially because he's far from game breaking, everyone else around the same level has been getting better, but Shulk has been completely static. I worry not about anything patch related, but that the character will be even more irrelevant than he already is due to everyone else being made better.

Last edited by a moderator:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Patches sort of scare me, but in a bizarre way. I main Shulk, who hasn't been touched since 1.0.4, so while I'm not worried about nerfs, especially because he's far from game breaking, everyone else around the same level has been getting better, but Shulk has been completely static. I worry not about anything patch related, but that the character will be even more irrelevant than he already is due to everyone else being made better.
Getting in that boar with Duck Hunt. Got a minute buff to nair that is barely relevant to anything and otherwise untouched.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Patches scare because Sakurai is a f*ing insane monster with no logic behind many of his choices.
Seriously, he BUFFED Rosalina last patch.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Patches scare because Sakurai is a f*ing insane monster with no logic behind many of his choices.
Seriously, he BUFFED Rosalina last patch.
Actually, Roalina's rapid jab was nerfed in knockback to no longer kill. This is way more significant than a couple HP on Luma.

There was no nerfed character that wasn't also buffed in some way last patch, assuming you count Falcon's uair change as a mostly-nerf-but-still-a-bit-buff.

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
buff and nerf is more of a love hate situation since I'll like to see characters that needs a buff when they need it, but at the same time I don't want to see characters that get nerf when its unnecessary. In the end its a bit complicated when it comes down whether they truly scare me or not.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say that the woman is, "broken," it's more or less that all the other characters have a lack of options.
Surplus of options relative to the rest of the cast is usually how broken characters are deemed as such. So, yeah i'd call her broken in that aspect.

I mean lets be honest, no amount of patches save for basically removing landing lag on 3/4 of everyone's moves are going to give them options comparable to her. Low-recovery characters are always the S-tier ones in smash bros, and I don't feel like the developers have ever really noticed this.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
Surplus of options relative to the rest of the cast is usually how broken characters are deemed as such. So, yeah i'd call her broken in that aspect.

I mean lets be honest, no amount of patches save for basically removing landing lag on 3/4 of everyone's moves are going to give them options comparable to her. Low-recovery characters are always the S-tier ones in smash bros, and I don't feel like the developers have ever really noticed this.
low recovery plus enough range to space and cover their approach.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

The reason speedies are high is the same reason slowpokes are low: FFAs. So long as FFAs are the main focus, 1v1s will always be unbalanced.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Actually, Roalina's rapid jab was nerfed in knockback to no longer kill. This is way more significant than a couple HP on Luma.

There was no nerfed character that wasn't also buffed in some way last patch, assuming you count Falcon's uair change as a mostly-nerf-but-still-a-bit-buff.
The rapid jab change was pretty irrelevant tbh j/s, the problematic portion is Jab 3, not multi jab end which was never really that strong in the first place. At least from what I understand, i might be mixing it up but I don't think so.

IronLion

Smash Rookie
I think patches are only scary for those who aren't used to them. When you've played PC games competitively, such as League of Legends or Elsword (in my case :p) patches are a part of the norm. It's almost foreign to not get patches because a game without patches gets stale (for online purposes).

Patches are a fairly new thing to console games but with digital data on the rise it was always expected. In my personal opinion I wouldn't care about patches to the point of being scared of them. Smashbros doesn't require you to pour that much money in to play and getting new characters is about all we need to pay for in terms of getting on a competitive level.

If the characters are getting Nerfed and Buffed it's because the developers are trying to change the metagame if anything we should be happy that the competitive scene is getting some love. The Comp. scene is what literally made smash bros a bigger and more popular game and I'm sure that most of the money brought in is from people who play in tournaments. If people are pouring their efforts into a overpowered character haphazardly then they can only expect a nerf now because Sm4sh is a different era of gaming for the SSB series.

Enjoy it for what it is, :)

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
The sad part is, I hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly doubt smash 4 rebalances for the sake of competitive play. If it did, certain characters at the top and bottom wouldn't have been so heavily ignored like they are.

Smash aint like any other game where the developers, pro players and competitive scene develop a kind of understanding. Smash 4, by all evidence again, ignored its competitive aspect.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The sad part is, I hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly doubt smash 4 rebalances for the sake of competitive play. If it did, certain characters at the top and bottom wouldn't have been so heavily ignored like they are.

Smash aint like any other game where the developers, pro players and competitive scene develop a kind of understanding. Smash 4, by all evidence again, ignored its competitive aspect.
This would explain why all the characters who were overall buffed last patch were already so overpowered:
  • Falco
  • Charizard
  • Ike
  • Marth
  • Lucina
  • Meta Knight
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Bowser
  • Greninja
  • DK
  • Palutena
  • Samus
  • G&W
  • Swordfighter
  • Duck Hunt
...and why all the characters who were overall nerfed were already so weak:
  • Diddy Kong
  • Sonic
  • Captain Falcon
  • Rosalina
If the developers had expert players in mind, you'd expect to see characters we think are weak getting buffs, and characters we think are problematic getting nerfed.

Oh.

Wait.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Not really too afraid about Palutena.

Sakurai wouldn't just disown his waifu, right?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Sakurai is doing the best he can while keeping FFAs balanced. He'd have to be pretty freakin' stupid to rebalance the game around 1v1s.

Taxtation

Smash Rookie
Honestly,I'm afraid of a patch that turns SSB4 into something like what happened to Brawl.The main problem of maining top tiers honestly is because of patches.Nintendo seems to be going the right way with them though,so that's good.Although Sakurai makes questionable choices *cough* Rosalina *cough*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SSB4 Mains::4sheik: :4luigi: :4fox:

SSB4 Secondaries: :4falcon: :4link: :4peach:

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I'm only worried about characters who are in need of a good buff being ignored for what ever reason.

*Dr.Mario Bias* :p

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
No. I'm still hoping for the impossible patch that removes all kill throws, makes all f and b throws have set knockback(or very low growths) at low trajectories to enable common and non-braindead tech chasing, and that makes throws techable. It'll never happen but that would make the grab and throw game in Smash immaculate. We'd finally have an Oki game to speak of.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
No. I'm still hoping for the impossible patch that removes all kill throws, makes all f and b throws have set knockback(or very low growths) at low trajectories to enable common and non-braindead tech chasing, and that makes throws techable. It'll never happen but that would make the grab and throw game in Smash immaculate. We'd finally have an Oki game to speak of.
tech rolls have much better frame data in smash 4... unless youre little mac, so tech chasing with grabs isn't all that
also i didn't realize that you couldn't tech throws?

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
Diddy is still incredible. I don't see any of the top tiers getting nerfed to the point of being anything below "really goshdarn great"

most of my mains are mid to low tiers anyway. well, mid and up now that based nintendo buffed my boy ike.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Sakurai is doing the best he can while keeping FFAs balanced. He'd have to be pretty freakin' stupid to rebalance the game around 1v1s.
...Why? How could that possibly be a bad thing? In a smash 4 with better balance, people have a comparable amount of options, or at least in the absence of options, they have balancing strengths. Having 3 or 4 people fighting each other wouldn't change this. It's not like team mechanics would get any more ridiculous than they are now. In 2v2s, the moment the match becomes a 2v1, the lone person to get grabbed basically loses.

Sakurai doesn't do very well when it comes to making competitive balancing decisions, lets be honest, he never has. I figured this is what Namco was supposed to be for (since they probably have the best track record for balancing huge fighting games), but apparently not.

This would explain why all the characters who were overall buffed last patch were already so overpowered:
  • Falco
  • Charizard
  • Ike
  • Marth
  • Lucina
  • Meta Knight
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Bowser
  • Greninja
  • DK
  • Palutena
  • Samus
  • G&W
  • Swordfighter
  • Duck Hunt
...and why all the characters who were overall nerfed were already so weak:
  • Diddy Kong
  • Sonic
  • Captain Falcon
  • Rosalina
If the developers had expert players in mind, you'd expect to see characters we think are weak getting buffs, and characters we think are problematic getting nerfed.

Oh.

Wait.
Link received the type of buffs the LOW tiers needed (he aint one of them), Shiek was ignored, Luigi was ignored, Rosalina got buffed along with that nerf, samus is still garbage, Lucina is now probably better than Marth because his hitboxes still suck, Zelda still has 2 garbage specials and bad aerials, Diddy got deleted from the game, ect ect.

I mean, just think about it like this. In Samus' case, nothing short of a massive damage increase on the majority of her moves would ever make her playstyle viable. That's not what they're doing, and its doubtful they ever will. I can understand if they are just slowly seeing how things are turning out, but I doubt thats what Sakurai is doing because he isn't very fond of the competitive scene in the first place.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
No, I'm actually excited for more. Of my main and secondaries, one is top tier, one is actually top tier but people always underate him and consider him high or mid tier, and one is considered lower-middle/low tier (I think she's high-mid myself but well whatever). For Japanease tier lists, two are considered low tiers and one top tier. No need to worry. Besides, it's obvious Sheik and Rosalina are the next victims (Maybe Yoshi and Mario will get slightly nerfed too, since they're better in Japan IIRC)

Last edited:
Top Bottom