• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do patches scare you?

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
Ever since 3DS, Diddy Kong, Sonic, and now Luigi a tiny bit are the only top tiers who have been nerfed, and deservedly so, so I don't know why people keep saying "don't nerf the high tiers, buff everyone else!" The top tiers are outliers who had strengths that far outweighed everyone else. Diddy's absurd KO power off of easy setups, Rosalina's original inability to be grabbed and everything else about her, Sheik completely dominating the neutral and basically being at no disadvantage ever at any point. Characters need to be balanced around high tier: Strong and cohesive movesets and attributes but still with distinct disadvantages. Not top tier, who are basically great in every category except for the ones that they are absurd in. Sheik still needs to be nerfed, and then we'll see. I don't think anyone can move into that spot, even if Rosalina will probably be the undisputed strongest character.

And to address the "someone else will become top tier" argument, there's always going to be a top tier because that's just how lists work. The goal is to make it so that there are compelling reasons to choose characters other than that top tier. The problem is when characters who do everything better than everyone else (Sheik) are the top tier.
Sheik doesn't needs nerf, She is the only character that has been nerved in every patch, Luigi got Buffed and Sonic can't SD with d-air and only got b-throw and f-smash and It still so good, Diddy Kong was nerfed a lot but he is still pretty good, If Sheik needs a nerf it can only be on needles, ZeRo beat Mr R with Diddy, Considered the best Sheik

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Sheik doesn't needs nerf, She is the only character that has been nerved in every patch, Luigi got Buffed and Sonic can't SD with d-air and only got b-throw and f-smash and It still so good, Diddy Kong was nerfed a lot but he is still pretty good, If Sheik needs a nerf it can only be on needles, ZeRo beat Mr R with Diddy, Considered the best Sheik
Sheik got nerfed in ways that don't address why she's top tier. That's why she's still undisputed #1 after multiple nerfs, because they're ignoring the problem. Needles are absurd and Vanish is too forgiving.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I love patches. I love that the game receives more content. I love that they're at least TRYING to balance it in some way.

Sheik got nerfed in ways that don't address why she's top tier. That's why she's still undisputed #1 after multiple nerfs, because they're ignoring the problem. Needles are absurd and Vanish is too forgiving.
Seriously, after landing on the stage post-vanish instead of ledge snapping, Sheik should just light up a cigarette for a 30 second smoke break...

It'd be about the only time a number of characters can reliably hit her...

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
Yes, I wont mind a needles nerf, I dont use them to much. But really I dont want another nerf on f-air

ᖇᕧᘘᓋᗂ

Smash Rookie
No, I main Meta Knight and Kirby, so it's only up for those to. :4kirby::4metaknight:

(P.S. Same with most other "Low Tier Characters.")
(P.P.S. Metaknight is arguably a High Tier now, but put in mind that he is only High Tier because of two patches that made his moves have less lag.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes... I do, lol. I'm afraid they'll nerf Meta Knight again because of how early he can kill, and because of the new Meta Knight mains flocking to him after realizing this, which means he'll get more exposure on tournament streams/videos. I just wish they'd announce the date for their last patch so I can stop worrying, hopefully it's in October when the new DLC character comes.

ᖇᕧᘘᓋᗂ

Smash Rookie
Yes... I do, lol. I'm afraid they'll nerf Meta Knight again because of how early he can kill, and because of the new Meta Knight mains flocking to him after realizing this, which means he'll get more exposure on tournament streams/videos. I just wish they'd announce the date for their last patch so I can stop worrying, hopefully it's in October when the new DLC character comes.
This is only unlikely because Meta Knight dies early. Also, players who do not get baited by Meta Knight means he can not get good percent off by punishing. Yes, he may be good, but I don't think they will nerf him as he is pretty balanced. The only reason I can see them nerfing him is because his MU's with other Top Tiers are REALLY REALLY good. Then again, 80% + Ness backthrow = Death, and a good Pikachu/ZSS can do work on MK.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Seeing as my mains, Mega Man and Kirby get buffed in updates, I'm not afraid of updates. In fact, I'd love to see a massive, and I mean MASSIVE balance update where the top tier characters are nerfed to where they feel balanced and fair to both fight against and use, and the low tier and mid tier characters get massively buffed so that it isn't unfair to those characters. I'd also make a universal change to tone down the defensive game since it's too safe and offensive gameplay isn't rewarded that much.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Seeing as my mains, Mega Man and Kirby get buffed in updates, I'm not afraid of updates. In fact, I'd love to see a massive, and I mean MASSIVE balance update where the top tier characters are nerfed to where they feel balanced and fair to both fight against and use, and the low tier and mid tier characters get massively buffed so that it isn't unfair to those characters. I'd also make a universal change to tone down the defensive game since it's too safe and offensive gameplay isn't rewarded that much.
if that patch comes out low will become top and top low :v

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
No patches dont scare me, The community voted Samus as the worst Character period, with a barrage of flaws theres no where to go but up. Patches for me are like waiting for your turn to get picked on the playground to play on a team.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No patches dont scare me, The community voted Samus as the worst Character period, with a barrage of flaws theres no where to go but up. Patches for me are like waiting for your turn to get picked on the playground to play on a team.
Probably the reason that Samus hasn't been buffed is because Japan thinks better of her. A whole tier up, I believe.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Probably the reason that Samus hasn't been buffed is because Japan thinks better of her. A whole tier up, I believe.
Well in the current community vote Samus is in a separate bottom tier all to herself so saying she's one tier up elsewhere isn't much
And characters 2 -3 tiers higher are getting buffed. I think Samus is just the kid who gets picked last. No sense in debating

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well in the current community vote Samus is in a separate bottom tier all to herself so saying she's one tier up elsewhere isn't much
And characters 2 -3 tiers higher are getting buffed. I think Samus is just the kid who gets picked last. No sense in debating
I'm inclined to think that just a kneejerk reaction... Especially since Mewtwo still exists.

Top Bottom