• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I can't choose....

GIVE US MOTHE- (shot)
GIVE US PERSO- (shot)
GIVE US F-ZER- (shot)
GIVE US CHIBI-R- (shot)
GIVE US CASTLE- (shot)
GIVE US SIN & PUNISHMENT 3!

Huh. I could have sworn- (shot)
OH COME ON!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Speaking of Final Fantasy...
I made a character pass for the Warrior of Light, the protagonist of the Dissidia series.

Character Overview

Who is the Warrior of Light?

The common answer would be the nameless heroes of the original Final Fantasy, the Heroes of Light who struck down Garland, his four fiends, the almighty evil of Chaos, and closer of the eternal time loop that resurrected Garland.
However...
That is merely a small part of the Warrior of Light's identity, and the character I speak of today is not one of the four heroes of Final Fantasy, but rather the original character created for Dissidia Final Fantasy. Later on his life, he would travel to the world of Final Fantasy and begin his adventure there, but before that, his story begins in Dissidia.

The Warrior of Light was not born as a man, but rather is a manikin created from Cid of the Lufaine. Soulless and without purpose, he was placed into "World B," a world of conflict, one between Cosmos, the goddess of harmony, and Chaos, the god of discord. Unlike his peers, he was not drawn into this world, rather he originated from it. This world's war however does not have an end however; after a victor is decided, the dragon Shinryu takes everyone's memories for himself and restores the dead, effectively continuing a cycle of perpetual violence. The nameless warrior is taken to Cosmos and she in turn bestowed him with power in exchange for becoming her champion. As a champion of Cosmos, he battles through a eleven cycles of warfare, though it would always end in her defeat.

During the twelfth cycle, the war once again favored Chaos's, this time thanks to an army of manikins, an unending spring of military might. The Warrior of Light, realizing that this war was unwinnable, turned his blade against his own allies, putting them to sleep for the next cycle. He had realized the reality of his cyclical world and accepted defeat preemptively knowing that the next cycle would possibly grant him the opportunity to succeed and end the cycle. His onslaught leaves Cosmos's forces crippled to only a few warriors. Said survivors dedicate themselves to stopping the flood of manikins and closing the rift from which they appear. They succeed though at the cost of their lives, exhausted to the point they cannot return to the next cycle. The Warrior of Light stays behind to protect Cosmos from the manikin army, though she sacrifices herself to save him. After her defeat, Shinryu once again takes his soul to renew the cycle, though this time now with a chance to end it once and for all.

In the thirteenth cycle, Cosmos tasks him with finding one of many crystals that may defeat Chaos and end the conflict. After cutting through Chaos's forces he faces Garland who tells him the cycle from which they are trapped. They duel and the Warrior prevails, gaining his crystal. He returns to Cosmos with the rest of the champions who each have their own crystals, however Chaos teleports everyone into his realm. With Cosmos in the palm of his hand, he incinerates her, killing her once again. However, the heroes of light do not fade. Unbenownst to them, Cosmos had imbued the crystals with every last bit of her light, making it so that she could not be revived, but the heroes would remain. Thus, the cycle had ended, with Chaos as the ultimate victor and his will was the complete destruction of the universe, leaving only chaotic nothingness behind. Cosmos's remaining forces were determined to end the destiny they were given. With the crystals, they open a portal to Chaos's Shrine and slay him, putting a definitive end to the world's conflict.

Shinryu, with no memories to feed on anymore, returns everyone to World A, the original world where Cid of Lufaine originated. Then, each of the heroes returns to their own timelines- everyone, except for the Warrior of Light. With nowhere to go, he walks forward to a castle in the distance, setting the stage for the original Final Fantasy, where he would fight Garland, save the princess, defeat the fiends, and end yet another time-loop.
Moveset

Time to shine spotlight on the latest fighter, the Warrior of Light! As a character almost entirely created for Dissidia, he doesn't quite resemble his RPG brother-in-arms, Hero. However what he lacks in extensive spell-lists, he makes up for in extreme versatility.

As a Warrior, he places a huge emphasis on close-range physical combat, wielding both sword and shield equally to overwhelm the enemy and counter their attempts to strike him. His defensive and offesnive capabilities join hand-in-hand to create an extremely difficult character to attack and an even more difficult character to defend against.
Introduction
4 Elements of light converge together and form the Warrior of Light, who resumes his pose.

Stance
Assumes his iconic Amano artwork stance with him holding the shield up and pointing the blade at the enemy over it.

Crouch
Does the same pose, but whilst kneeling

Sprint
Flies low to the ground as in Dissidia

Taunt 1
Points his sword at the enemy

Taunt 2
Holds the sword up to his face and looks up

Taunt 3
Raises his arms outwards, inviting the enemy to attack him

Victory 1
Flourishes his blade and poses with any allies in the background

Victory 2
Points the sword at the camera whilst specters of various job classes appear

Victory 3
Flourishes his blade before resuming his classic posing.

Victory Theme
The Classic Final Fantasy Fanfare, though Dissidia's rendition of the song.
Kirby Hat
Kirby wears the Warrior of Light's helm.
Shield
Puts his sword in front of his shield and turtles behind it

Parry
Thrusts his shield out with his sword behind and ready to strike

Ledge Attack
Slashes across the ground

Get-up attack
Throws his shield telepathically 180 degrees around himself
Down Special
Shield of Light
The Warrior of Light holds out his shield with both arms and projects a giant spectral shield made of light. This only protects the front of him like Sephiroth's Scintilla. Similar to Joker's Rebel's Guard, it can be held past initial hits.

Blocking physical attacks activates "Flash of Steel" which transforms the spectral shield into a spectral sword that stabs outwards. Has extremely long horizontal range, but limited vertical reach. Extremely powerful knockback due to its limited nature.

Blocking ranged attacks activates "Radiant Sword" which transforms the spectral shield into a blade of light and launches it forward full-screen. Decidedly less powerful, but may cause projectile users to think twice about launching their attacks.

Landing a counter also grants the Warrior of Light the "Protection of Light," a buff that increases the power of his smash attacks and neutral special. Lasts only a short while, but can be replenished with further counter activations.

Neutral Special
Shining Wave
Twirls and drags his sword beneath him, slashing upwards and summoning multiple pillars of light.
The pillars appear slowly allowing the Warrior of Light to follow behind them.
If Protection of Light is active, its kill power and shield damage drastically increases, forcing defensive players to take an evasive action.

Side Special
Sword Thrust
If tapped, the Warrior of Light just dashes forward while thrusting his sword.
If held, he spins and throws out his shield like a boomerang before grabbing it and thrusting forward.

Up Special
Rising Buckler
Tosses the shield up at a diagonal angle, carrying anyone caught up into it. The Warrior of Light then leaps towards the shield and grabs it, simultaneously thrusting his sword down at anyone caught by it.
Jab
Dayflash
2 diagonal slashes followed with an upwards slash that launches the enemy into the air.

Forward Tilt
Ascension
Steps forward and stabs his sword upwards. The tip of the blade has a sweetspot that does increased damage.
Can alternatively be angled downwards if a down-forward input is used.

Down Tilt
Imbued Saber
Stabs the ground and releases a shockwave of light that launches enemies upwards.

Up Tilt
Rising Shield
Uppercuts the shield, smashing the opponent with the top side of the shield. Very fast and has a small disjoint.

Dash Attack
Indomitable Charge
A shield bash that comes out extremely fast, followed by a horizontal outwards slash, knocking enemies away.
Forward Smash
Bitter End
The Warrior of Light steps forward and holds the sword forward and up and charges light into the blade.
Releasing the charge has the Warrior of Light hold the sword back and then point forward, firing a laser beam of light at the enemy.

If under the Protection of Light, a barrier appears which protects him from projectiles while charging the attack.

Down Smash
Coruscant Saber
Holds the blade behind himself and charges.
Releasing the charge has him perform a spin-slash.

If under the Protection of Light, white light extends its rage and increases its damage.

Up Smash
Rune Saber
The Warrior of Light as he prepares to stab upwards, light circling around himself.
Releasing the charge has the Warrior of Light stab upwards, a shockwave of light around his feet first launching anyone into the sword.

If under the Protection of Light, a spectral blade of light forms, extending its vertical rage and increasing its damage.
Neutral Aerial
Crossover
Telepathically swings his shield 360 degrees around himself multiple times.

Forward Aerial
Radiant Braver
Slashes diagonally twice in an X-shape.

Back Aerial
Shield Swipe
Bashes behind himself with a shield. Has invincibility if timed correctly.

Down Aerial
Shield Strike
Throws his shield down, which spins, hitting the enemy multiple times before returning back into his hand, knocking the enemy up on the way back.

Up Aerial
Ascendance
Twirls while stabbing upwards.
Grab
Shield Fling
Throws shield out which drags back any opponent away backwards into the grasp of the Warrior of Light, who binds the opponent in a field of energy.

Pummel
Bind
Tightens the field around the opponent.

Forward Throw
Flare
Stabs them into the air while simultaneously detonating a multi-hitting explosion of blue microexplosions, knocking enemies back a short distance.

Back Throw
Ultima
Stabs the opponent, skewering them. Then arcs his sword around his body to the back in a vertical semi-circle, causing a pale blue explosion behind him when they land.

Down Throw
Meteor
Points his sword skyward, summoning an astral portal above the oponent. He then brings his sword down, summoning a cluster of violet meteors that pelts the opponent to the ground, bouncing them off of it.

Up Throw
Holy
Telepathically holds the sword and shield outwards and raises both his arms into the air, calling Holy. White light floods from beneath the opponent and flies upwards into the sky, dealing an extreme amount of knockback and damage.
Final Smash
Oversoul
The Warrior of Light slices a cross onto the enemy, the cross splits and shatters a hole into a separate dimension wherein a cinematic attack plays.
In this dimension, the Warrior of Light summons forth the iconic Final Fantasy jobs of old including black mage, white mage, red mage, monk, ninja, dragoon, bard, warrior, ranger, summoner, and dark knight.
They each attack the caught opponent leaving trails of blue light in their midst.
The Warrior of Light then slashes through the opponent, detonating the light within and causing a blue-white explosion to engulf them.
Alternate Colors
Stage
World B
A stage that begins in the world of Dissidia. While fighters begin in Cosmos's Sanctuary, they are soon flung into interdimensional rifts and randomly visit several iconic locales throughout the classic series.
Firstly, Cosmos's Sanctuary is a simple completely flat plain that serves as a transition point to random stages across Final Fantasy.

The original Final Fantasy has Cornelia, an open field with a walk-off to the side and a dip that descends off-screen.

Final Fantasy II has Pandaemonium, a castle with its top blown off and surrounded in deadly spikes.

Final Fantasy III has the Invincible flying around the Crystal Tower, an airship with uneven ground that flies around the flying continent in which the Crystal Tower lays its foundation.

Final Fantasy IV has the Lunar Subterrane, a plateau of rock with the Lunar Whale and the Crystal Castle lying in the distance and the Earth shining in the sky.

Final Fantasy V has the Dimensional Fortress, a balcony with a wall to the side and a flying tower serving as a platform on the other side.

Final Fantasy VI has the Narshe Outskirts, a snowy trench which is walled on either side by small cliffs.
Songs
Spirits

If this interests you, please show your support in the character support thread I made... right now.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Personally i don't think Falcom has a chance since they are run by one of the biggest Sony Fanboy's, i don't think they've ever made a game for a Nintendo platform so talks or Adol would probably be the first time the two companies ever negotiated anything together, i just don't see it happening since they have a pretty terrible relationship.

Edit: Since i don't want to post multiple times i'll just put my off-topic thought here, Super Mario Odyssey 2 doesn't exist and the next 3d one will be in 2024 with no relation at all to odyssey.

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
I mean, you're not wrong, but at the same time, we haven't had a "Direct" character since MinMin really, and at this point, it feels more like an outlier than anything.

I'm fully bracing for a later on release date, no doubt, but it 'feels' like with Byleth, they got their marketing down to a science. Releasing a teaser for a character months in advance definitely builds up a burst of excitement, but does that excitement carry on for the months of waiting to play them? Honestly, the system they introduced with Byleth "feels" like it curbs hype a lot better. Instead of letting it flounder for months, it's a very quick process. Reveal character > release relatively soon after.
Honestly it goes both ways. imo the best way to do it is to reveal a character, wait a month or 2, and then reveal a new one on release of the last character or shortly after. I think the 1-2 month gaps between characters also gets the salty people to stop crying. It also doesn't make it seem like there is an info drought because people will know which window the character releases and when the next one might possibly happen

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Would you dummies please stop trying to force patterns of what clearly aren't choices deliberately made on the basis of "Nintendo association".

Before? You mean Banjo and Hero? Two third party characters? Yeah, their games were on Nintendo systems, but that's where the association ends.
Banjo's association with Nintendo doesn't exactly end with being on the platform.

Nor does Hero's for that matter.

Though I agree the point in general is faulty.

Axel Stone low key a dark horse and flying under everyones radar

Godspeed on that train

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
What does “associated with Nintendo” even mean?
I mean, I could see it being a Pokémon. But I think anybody else isn’t because of association with Nintendo, but their standing as an individual character. I mean, Banjo was at E3...not exactly your everyday Nintendo Direct.

The only other character in DLC thus far to be revealed in an actual Nintendo Direct is Terry, and if we’re taking “association with Nintendo” as a standard, I mean, he has plenty of titles on Switch and whatever else given the arcade titles.

But I get the feeling that’s not what that phrase means, to be honest.
I see it as pretty simple. If you were to put your character in the category of Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation, PC, Mobile. What category would you put that character in?
If a character fits all these categories, their multiplat.

It has had 2 meanings in Smash speculation.
1. To shut down characters who don’t have Nintendo Association.
2. To help recognize a characters chances slightly better.

1. is a dumb argument. Always has been. With characters like Joker and Cloud. Nintendo association has been long disproven to stop characters getting in.

2. actually has merit. As Sakurai himself said that while Nintendo Association isn’t necessary, it does help a character.

Hope I’m not missing anything.
But you asked me what category I'd put them in, no one else. For me, Hero is a split between Nintendo and Playstation. Yes, a lot of Dragon Quest games are on Nintendo platforms, but there's also a handful that just aren't. It's very much in the same case as Final Fantasy. Hell, DQ11 was originally for PS4 before Switch got the definitive edition.
Thats fair. I personally see them as a Nintendo Rep primarily, with a good deal of PlayStation on the side. If you see it differently, thats fine.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Yes, it will happen like this because it happened like this the other times.
What's that? It didn't happen like that one time?
No, nononono, that's an outlier, that one doesn't count.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Thats fair. I personally see them as a Nintendo Rep primarily, with a good deal of PlayStation on the side. If you see it differently, thats fine.
this is probably the best way of looking at it, most of it's best selling and critically acclaimed titles are all on Nintendo whereas Sony mostly has the "less knonw" ones with the exception of 8.

and plus DQ only really matters in Japan and Playstation is...... getting completely destroyed by Nintendo in japan, DQ will either be multiplat or a switch and PC exclusive, there's no way it isn't coming out with the switch as the main platform.

ZelDan

Smash Master
FWIW I don't really care that much about the "Nintendo association" stuff either and agree that Cloud got into Smash because he himself in incredibly iconic and not because of spinoffs. I could see another character with barely any Nintendo association if again.

I was just mostly pointing out that, again, every character does have some level of association with Nintendo now since the discussion was talking about DLC characters who have Nintendo association. Was just being observational.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
It could be worse.

They may not even release in the near future.

Which, if Amiibo theory somehow still lives on, that means they could potentially drop mid/late March or early April lol.
if its in march/april they would most likely mark it as "spring 2021" The longest we would wait is like 4 months and i doubt that we will wait that long

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Personally i don't think Falcom has a chance since they are run by one of the biggest Sony Fanboy's, i don't think they've ever made a game for a Nintendo platform so talks or Adol would probably be the first time the two companies ever negotiated anything together, i just don't see it happening since they have a pretty terrible relationship.

Edit: Since i don't want to post multiple times i'll just put my off-topic thought here, Super Mario Odyssey 2 doesn't exist and the next 3d one will be in 2024 with no relation at all to odyssey.
Man It's a real shame that there are no Falcom games on the switch...

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
If Rex does get announced at some point, I foresee the Geno base lighting up like a supernova because of the DLC Mii rule being killed. Others apply, too, but this especially applies to the Geno base.
On one hand I want Rex as I am a fan of Xenoblade 2.
On the other hand, I don't want to deal with the Geno fanbase again!
I was happy that we didn't need to deal with them once the Geno Mii Costume was revealed!

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Man It's a real shame that there are no Falcom games on the switch...

Unfortunately Falcom has nothing to do with those, they haven't made a game on switch and these games would never have been ported had NIS not begged Falcom to allow them to port them.

Edit: to clarify Falcom is a pretty backward's company, the older staff insisted on making a new engine they could barely afford instead of listening to the younger staff and just using Unreal, they don't mind having their games on Switch, they jut don't like the idea of developing for a Nintendo platform. they even did market research and found out Switch versions sell much better in the west and do pretty good in Japan, still they refuse to make them, even though the PS4 is dead (in Japan) and the Ps5 is DOA (since launch in Japan it has managed to surpass Wii u's.... First week. it's still left in the dust by the wii u, even the wonderswan is outpacing it).

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
YSVIII is also on the Switch.
I had a picture the picture didn't work and I didn't want to potentially lag out the page anymore

Actually there are 11 games worldwide
-Cold Steel 1
-Cold Steel 2
-Cold Steel 3
-Cold Steel 4
-Hajimari no kiseki
-Zero no Kiseki
-Ao no Kiseki
-Ys Origin
-Ys 1&2
-Ys VIII
-Ys IX

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Banjo's association with Nintendo doesn't exactly end with being on the platform.

Nor does Hero's for that matter.

Though I agree the point in general is faulty.
I still would technically classify Banjo as a Nintendo Associated character, because pretty much his entire fandom came from his Nintendo games. Though for this instance, I'd say this fact only matters because it aligns with Smash fans preferring Nintendo associated characters.

Unfortunately Falcom has nothing to do with those, they haven't made a game on switch and these games would never have been ported had NIS not begged Falcom to allow them to port them.
But...but I can see Falcom's name right there on the cover of those games. I don't have a horse in this race, but clearly Falcom had something to do with those games.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
this is probably the best way of looking at it, most of it's best selling and critically acclaimed titles are all on Nintendo whereas Sony mostly has the "less knonw" ones with the exception of 8.

and plus DQ only really matters in Japan and Playstation is...... getting completely destroyed by Nintendo in japan, DQ will either be multiplat or a switch and PC exclusive, there's no way it isn't coming out with the switch as the main platform.
The two dq playstation games were ported to 3ds later anyways. Dragon Quest X(the mmo) was also made for the wii which was the most recent game pre 11.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ys, a Falcom series, has had games on Nintendo consoles over the years. There's a collection of Ys 1 + 2 on DS.

Overall I think it's a load of nothing. Street Fighter V was Sony exclusive when we got Ryu, suggesting that deals outside of Smash don't actually conflict that much with what goes on with Smash.

I don't really have a horse in that race though. I don't really think that's a point that would result in a character/series being left out.

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
If Rex does get announced at some point, I foresee the Geno base lighting up like a supernova because of the DLC Mii rule being killed. Others apply, too, but this especially applies to the Geno base.
i feel like rex is in a different place than geno anyways though. Rexs mii came out launch day and was probably made before pass 2 was 100% finalized. Still probably not in though sadly

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Mentioned this in the RTC discord, but I'm wondering if given the time of the direct that the Smash character is someone western fans might be pretty big fans of. The direct is taking place around 10pm or so in the UK and early to mid afternoon in the Americas. IIRC the last direct reveal was Terry who was shown off around that time. Thought he might actually kill this one dead until I remembered he was pretty popular in South America. Obviously this is not including E3 directs where Nintendo has less control over when they get to present.

If there's an actual pattern here I feel like we might be able to cross off a few names, such as Reimu or Sakura, who's popularity is mainly Japanese.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But...but I can see Falcom's name right there on the cover of those games. I don't have a horse in this race, but clearly Falcom had something to do with those games.
Indeed, they did. It's their own games that's being ported; Of course they had something to do with it. Unless, of course, NIS has been making illegal bootlegs this whole time.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
But those are still Falcom games? Localization being made by other people and not them does not make those games as invalid Falcom games on the Switch. This is random to the point I barely get your point, if I'm being honest.

This is like saying the Ace Attorney DS games don't count as Capcom games because Nintendo were the ones who did the localization for Europe.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Mentioned this in the RTC discord, but I'm wondering if given the time of the direct that the Smash character is someone western fans might be pretty big fans of. The direct is taking place around 10pm or so in the UK and early to mid afternoon in the Americas. IIRC the last direct reveal was Terry who was shown off around that time. Thought he might actually kill this one dead until I remembered he was pretty popular in South America. Obviously this is not including E3 directs where Nintendo has less control over when they get to present.

If there's an actual pattern here I feel like we might be able to cross off a few names, such as Reimu or Sakura, who's popularity is mainly Japanese.
Steve was revealed at 3 AM in Sweden

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Be pretty big whiplash going from the biggest JRPG of all time (not named Pokemon) to a Falcom game, ngl.
It'll be worth it if it's Pochi.
pochi.png

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

For comparison: the time will be 7 PM here in Brazil, which means it'll probably be around 7 AM in Japan. On a weekday, mind you.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but it's food for thought.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Has a Pokemon character ever been revealed in a Nintendo Direct before? Incineroar was revealed in a Smash direct & I think Greninja was too. If we get a Pokemon, I think it’d be announced during a Mr Sakurai presents instead of a Direct.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice

What is the ideal time for a japan reveal and has any of those ever happened? If there is a pattern, wouldn't this mean that the character is popular in japan because its happening at 7 in the morning when all the children are awake and not at 12:00am. Did I misread anything?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium So getting back to you on the whole Tomba conundrum, I went around, asked some people, did some digging of my own, and things are still kinda muddy. For what it's worth, I found this:

General consensus rn seems to be that apparently Tomba might actually be partially owned???????

Pillow

Smash Lord
Isn't everyone raving at 3AM in Sweden? Coincides perfectly.
Tiesto is going to be the next Smash character. How did no one see this coming?

Everyone talks about the FPS genre being lacking in Smash, but no one talks about how the House genre is missing entirely.

Has a Pokemon character ever been revealed in a Nintendo Direct before? Incineroar was revealed in a Smash direct & I think Greninja was too. If we get a Pokemon, I think it’d be announced during a Mr Sakurai presents instead of a Direct.
If we get a Pokemon, I feel like this would be the time to announce it. Sephiroth is still a huge fresh addition, and presumably a more significant 3rd party character would be planned for E3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom