• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
A bit off topic but Guilty Gear Strive's beta is getting more attention that I expected even if it's through memes or viral posts

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also Leffen has been playing the beta and he seems to enjoy the game quite a lot, if anyone is curious. With the apparent drought of new fighting games seems like the game could be released in the right time to attract more people to the series and become more popular.

And Sol in Smash would help to that...

SKX31

Smash Master
You're saying Shrek won't have crumpet dashing?
Thank you, you just reminded me of the best FGC tech of all time:

And I actually owned (and still owns IIRC) this game, can confirm it's possible.

Imagine if Nintendo saw the Sans mii costume do so well with sales that they decided to promote it to a playable fighter in Pass 2. :bowsette:
Oh god, the :nessecho: vs. actual :nessecho: matchup would be so toxic online.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm a bit late, but people were making 5 characters predictions so here's mine. Overall I feel that we're getting a smaller scale character than Minecraft and FF7
-Ryu Hayabusa: I predict him since the begining and nothing really change. Koei tecmo recently developped Hyrule warriors and Buddy mission bond, and I still think Hayabusa is by far the most likely character from them.

-Arle: Another character that I'm predicting a lot. Like Ryu, nothing really changed for her, but it's still make sense for her to be in Smash. Although anniversary usually don't mean a lot, it's interesting that this year is Puyo puyo 30th anniversary and Puyo puyo tetris 2 just got a pretty big update.

-Sol badguy: I don't know a lot about Guilty gear, but the timing would be great with Strive beta starting tomorrow. Arc system also had the spirit event of River city and maybe they could got a character after that.

-Phoenix Wright: I used to predict more Dante, but with the rumor of a new Ace attorney collection soon, I think the timing will help more Phoenix Wright for now.

-Donchan: A really weird pick because right now most people are talking about Tales of for the next Namco characters, but Taiko no tatsujin is more popular than some people thinks and February is also the month of Taiko no tatsujin anniversary and a live stream will happen this month. Considering that Namco is developping Smash, they could easily use it to hype the live stream and their next game in the franchise.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
A bit off topic but Guilty Gear Strive's beta is getting more attention that I expected even if it's through memes or viral posts

Also Leffen has been playing the beta and he seems to enjoy the game quite a lot, if anyone is curious. With the apparent drought of new fighting games seems like the game could be released in the right time to attract more people to the series and become more popular.

And Sol in Smash would help to that...
Real talk: I can't get over how good the characters' hair looks. It might legit be the best hair animations I've ever seen in a 3D fighter. I didn't see a single instance of clipping, unlike, say SFV.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Considering the last 2 characters we got were Steve and Sephiroth, 2 characters who aren’t associated with Nintendo. And the fact this is a standard direct. I think the new fighter will be mainly associated with Nintendo.
We'll just have to wait until my birthday comes around...

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Before? You mean Banjo and Hero? Two third party characters? Yeah, their games were on Nintendo systems, but that's where the association ends.
What other systems would you associate them with? Banjo maybe has Xbox but both his actually liked game are N64 games. Hero is almost entirely composed of characters who were on Nintendo consoles. If you had to put these characters into a console category, most people would say Nintendo.

I meant Byleth too, a character who undoubtedly is Nintendo associated.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What other systems would you associate them with? Banjo maybe has Xbox but both his actually liked game are N64 games. Hero is almost entirely composed of characters who were on Nintendo consoles. If you had to put these characters into a console category, most people would say Nintendo.

I meant Byleth too, a character who undoubtedly is Nintendo associated.
I mean, DQ8, arguably the most influential game in the West, was on the PS2, and only came much, MUCH later on the 3DS.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What does “associated with Nintendo” even mean?
I mean, I could see it being a Pokémon. But I think anybody else isn’t because of association with Nintendo, but their standing as an individual character. I mean, Banjo was at E3...not exactly your everyday Nintendo Direct.

The only other character in DLC thus far to be revealed in an actual Nintendo Direct is Terry, and if we’re taking “association with Nintendo” as a standard, I mean, he has plenty of titles on Switch and whatever else given the arcade titles.

But I get the feeling that’s not what that phrase means, to be honest.

Anyway, I have no formal predictions and that’s partially because I don’t care much. I think if it’s first party it’s Pokémon, but otherwise the field is wide open for a non-Nintendo pick.

It really do be like that.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I mean, I could see it being a Pokémon. But I think anybody else isn’t because of association with Nintendo, but their standing as an individual character. I mean, Banjo was at E3...not exactly your everyday Nintendo Direct.

The only other character in DLC thus far to be revealed in an actual Nintendo Direct is Terry, and if we’re taking “association with Nintendo” as a standard, I mean, he has plenty of titles on Switch and whatever else given the arcade titles.

But I get the feeling that’s not what that phrase means, to be honest.

Anyway, I have no formal predictions and that’s partially because I don’t care much. I think if it’s first party it’s Pokémon, but otherwise the field is wide open for a non-Nintendo pick.

It really do be like that.
It's just an old argument used to shut down character ideas before Cloud was added.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy this thread jumped 20 pages the last time I checked it.

It is interesting that the announcement specifically mentions Ultimate as if it's going to be 1 of the key features of tomorrow. It kinda makes it sound like there's going to be more news than just 1 character reveal, though the only thing that would make sense is if Sakurai's presentation for that character dropped right after the Direct.

Also all those people doom and gloom about Directs being phased out by Nintendo now look pretty foolish to believe they'd ever stop making full Directs. Honestly, if Nintendo were gonna phase out their actual Directs format, they would've never made those Partner Showcases to begin with or at the very least not call them Direct Mini: Partner Showcase.

Shroob

Sup?
Last I checked, 3 was more popular. 11 is multiplat. And 4 is also Nintendo. At best Heeo is a multiplat character. Still doesn’t stop Banjo.
But you asked me what category I'd put them in, no one else. For me, Hero is a split between Nintendo and Playstation. Yes, a lot of Dragon Quest games are on Nintendo platforms, but there's also a handful that just aren't. It's very much in the same case as Final Fantasy. Hell, DQ11 was originally for PS4 before Switch got the definitive edition.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I assume it means 3rd party characters who's series have primarily been on nintendo consoles such as Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton. Though it's a pretty meaningless title for Smash speculation considering we have Cloud Strife and Joker in Smash instead of uhh...Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Technically Every character that has been DLC for Smash has some level of association with Nintendo. Even Joker has Persona 5 Scramble on Switch now, and I think there was a Persona Q2 that had him in it.

And Cloud and now Sephiroth definitely have an association with Nintendo thanks to FFVII being on the Switch, and being in some KH spinoffs or whatever even by the time of Smash 4.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Technically Every character that has been DLC for Smash has some level of association with Nintendo. Even Joker has Persona 5 Scramble on Switch now, and I think there was a Persona Q2 that had him in it.

And Cloud and now Sephiroth definitely have an association with Nintendo thanks to FFVII being on the Switch, and being in some KH spinoffs or whatever even by the time of Smash 4.
Going forward, it would seem that NIntendo ties are just a courtesy and Nintendo association is only there as a coincidence, though.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, gonna be real but it always felt like Cloud's justification for being in Smash because of his short cameo in Chain of Memories on the GBA felt forced as hell.

I clearly remember back in the day how there was a very vocal, albeit small, crowd of Nintendo purists mad as hell over Cloud getting in "Because he has never been on a Nintendo console before!", and it was always brought up "He was in Chain of Memories!"

To me, Cloud's not in Smash because of any Nintendo connections or appearances, he's in because he's friggen Cloud Strife.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Man, I know it's tomorrow, which means it won't be that long a wait, but still, anticipation makes it feel like forever. :tired:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean, gonna be real but it always felt like Cloud's justification for being in Smash because of his short cameo in Chain of Memories on the GBA felt forced as hell.

I clearly remember back in the day how there was a very vocal, albeit small, crowd of Nintendo purists mad as hell over Cloud getting in "Because he has never been on a Nintendo console before!", and it was always brought up "He was in Chain of Memories!"

To me, Cloud's not in Smash because of any Nintendo connections or appearances, he's in because he's friggen Cloud Strife.
He's in three 3DS FF games, not that I guess it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom