• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I certainly hope we get the reveal tomorrow instead of "see this Smash Direct at this date", but we won't know till it happens.

I'm in the boat of "reveal tomorrow", mind you. But I like to keep my expectations on the realistic side anyway. So slightly pessimistic. Albeit, I get tons of stuff wrong, and that's hardly an issue, heh~

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Closest I can think of is this:

Probably nothing, though.
Tangent to what's being said but did anyone else think that the jump from PS4 to PS5 and XBox Bad Name to XBox Terrible Name was really... weak?

I remember the jump from 6th gen to 7th gen and how that completely upended everything. How Sony's sheer arrogance had them lose to a console that was cooking itself to death and how Nintendo leapt to the top with bobbleheads playing tennis.

Heck, even the last gen had a spicier start with Microsoft being the arrogant one and Sony coasting on the high praise of "We're not going to screw you more than we did last generation".

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Tangent to what's being said but did anyone else think that the jump from PS4 to PS5 and XBox Bad Name to XBox Terrible Name was really... weak?

I remember the jump from 6th gen to 7th gen and how that completely upended everything. How Sony's sheer arrogance had them lose to a console that was cooking itself to death and how Nintendo leapt to the top with bobbleheads playing tennis.

Heck, even the last gen had a spicier start with Microsoft being the arrogant one and Sony coasting on the high praise of "We're not going to screw you more than we did last generation".
A lot of it comes from a fairly weak launch library and that all the big advancements in gaming are technical anyway so a lot of the wow factor just isn't there anymore.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who thinks a pokemon is happening tomorrow? :((((
Maybe? Pokemon is kind of a contentious topic because of the SwSh Spirit Event a while back. Those are usually considered death sentences, but some argue that it was early enough to be reversed or that Pokemon is too big a series. It's not helped that some who predict a Gen 8 rep speak of it negatively, so people get tired of all the complaining and doomposting (Which also ends up causing problems those who just want to be hopeful about their wants).

So yeah. It's a real divisive topic and there's people on both sides.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Closest I can think of is this:

Probably nothing, though.
I'd be amazed if anyone was so down bad for information they try to gamble on these as viable choices lol

EDIT: yknow on second thought im convinced, luigi for smash :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe? Pokemon is kind of a contentious topic because of the SwSh Spirit Event a while back. Those are usually considered death sentences, but some argue that it was early enough to be reversed or that Pokemon is too big a series. It's not helped that some who predict a Gen 8 rep speak of it negatively, so people get tired of all the complaining and doomposting (Which also ends up causing problems those who just want to be hopeful about their wants).

So yeah. It's a real divisive topic and there's people on both sides.
Broke: Gen 8 mon is in
Woke: SwSh spirit event rules them out
Bespoke: SwSh spirit event only blocks gen 8, time to return to monke

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have to wonder.

Are you guys feeling it's a first party or a third party tomorrow?

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
WAIT GUYS! I JUST THOUGH OF SOMETHING!

-Sonic's 30th anniversary
-20th Anniversary of Adventure 2 (first time he was playable in a mainline game)
-Confirmed for Speed Battle
-First game origin
-New movie, show, comic and game
-Main character has stayed in Smash since Brawl
-Heroes and villains (Ridley, Krool, Sephiroth)

Oh frick-

dreggman.jpg

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Well, that's your opinion.

I'd argue that the reveal and then waiting approach works against it tbh. Like, when Banjo was revealed, I was ecstatic as all hell, but I had to wait until he came out, so by the time he did, that hype phase was more or less gone. I was happy he was coming, sure, but it became less "HOLY **** HE'S IN SMASH!" and more "Okay, Banjo's coming in September, cool, got time to wait I guess."

To contrast, Steve and Sephiroth being revealed soo close to their release dates allowed that "HOLY CRAP!?!" to never really lose its luster. Because they were coming sooner than later, it gave us less time to get used to them. It was less "Remember when Sephiroth was shown off 2 months ago?" and more "HOLY **** HE COMES OUT SOO SOON!"

Know what I mean?
I feel like it's up to personal preference as to which one someone prefers. So yeah, I do know what you mean, and can see why you (and probably plenty of other people) prefer reveals to be done in this way :)

SKX31

Smash Master

A lot of it comes from a fairly weak launch library and that all the big advancements in gaming are technical anyway so a lot of the wow factor just isn't there anymore.
There are quite a few advancements - haptic feedback for example - but the fact that the advancements are no longer obvious to the naked eye test is the issue. Not as obvious as going SNES to N64 or N64 to GCN. And really, the comes a point where human eyes and brains stop noticing the difference between lets say 8K and 16K. And I'm assuming that nanomachines, cybernetics and gene-enhancement techs (which are some other major cans of worms in themselves) are not going to be widely used amongst us humans within this decade. Even as all three are being researched on as we speak.

Games-wise, Miles Morales and Astro's is doing pretty well, although Halo Infinite was delayed and a lot of focus has been on getting the best possible ecosystems up and running first. That + the console shortages might be major reasons why the transition has not been "hype".

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
WAIT GUYS! I JUST THOUGH OF SOMETHING!

-Sonic's 30th anniversary
-20th Anniversary of Adventure 2 (first time he was playable in a mainline game)
-Confirmed for Speed Battle
-First game origin
-New movie, show, comic and game
-Main character has stayed in Smash since Brawl
-Heroes and villains (Ridley, Krool, Sephiroth)

Oh frick-

View attachment 303461
Yeah, no, he isn't going to get in just for anniversary until you can name me one person who got in because of their anniversary specifically.

That's right, no one. :127:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Tiesto is going to be the next Smash character. How did no one see this coming?

Everyone talks about the FPS genre being lacking in Smash, but no one talks about how the House genre is missing entirely.

If we get a Pokemon, I feel like this would be the time to announce it. Sephiroth is still a huge fresh addition, and presumably a more significant 3rd party character would be planned for E3.
Last character in FP2 steps in your path

I certainly hope we get the reveal tomorrow instead of "see this Smash Direct at this date", but we won't know till it happens.

I'm in the boat of "reveal tomorrow", mind you. But I like to keep my expectations on the realistic side anyway. So slightly pessimistic. Albeit, I get tons of stuff wrong, and that's hardly an issue, heh~
They’ve mentioned Smash specifically, they wouldn’t do that just for a teaser of another Presentation. At the very least, I think we’ll see the character. But the wording of the Smash info & Sakurai’s smug Tweet makes me think it’ll be a bit more than the next character too. Either FP3 or a new mode.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Am I the only one who thinks a pokemon is happening tomorrow? :((((
I’m not a big Pokémon fan so, for our first direct in 500 or so days, I would say I hope not. No offense to anyone that wants one of course but I want this Direct to blow my socks off and that includes smash and a Pokémon just wouldn’t do that for me unfortunately. But I still think they’re a good possibility.

Unless Fighter’s Pass 3 is announced at which point my socks are gone either way.

Rule of thumb is never “think” or expect something to happen that way if it does happen you’re surprised and happy and if it doesn’t then you won’t be disappointed.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Screw the Direct it's all about the "Throwing your whole body at people" Tourney

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They’ve mentioned Smash specifically, they wouldn’t do that just for a teaser of another Presentation. At the very least, I think we’ll see the character. But the wording of the Smash info & Sakurai’s smug Tweet makes me think it’ll be a bit more than the next character too. Either FP3 or a new mode.
Plot twist: It's a two-in-one pack that gives us two characters at once.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
I like how they said there'd be Smash news but not what the Smash news is -_-
That's a good point. My greatest fear is that they just said Smash would be there so that people would watch and only say something like "More news later"

But another possibility is that it could be a Miiverse/Mario Maker type thing where it's not a fighter but a new event, stage or even an announcement of Season 3 (as doubtful as that is)

Yeah, no, he isn't going to get in just for anniversary until you can name me one person who got in because of their anniversary specifically.

That's right, no one. :127:
This man would like a word with you :ultlittlemac:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom