• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Mario lost three: Mushroom Kingdom Melee, Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2, Rainbow Road
Metroid lost two: Planet Zebes, Pyrosphere
Star Fox lost two: Sector Z, Orbital Gate Assault

Could also count Game & Watch losing the separate versions of the Flat Zones but eh.
Me just casually forgetting a half dozen maps :V
I do think that some Mario tracks feel orphaned now that there's no Underground Mushroomy Kingdom, though.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Pac-Man to come back in a future Super Smash Bros. game, I would like his moves to be based on platform games of his own series.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
BTW, there's a glitch happening with Mythra after Kazuya got released. The slowdown effect isn't working on Diddy's Banana.
Now I don't know if this is going to be one of those "Sometimes a glitch is just a glitch" types of things because it does work on other projectiles, but for the sake of speculation, what potential new characters could come with some kind of slowdown effect to cause this glitch?

Aside from Shadow the Hedgehog because that's way too obvious of an answer.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ignoring the correction by Platinum, anyone who claims to miss Rumble Falls isn't a human being deserving of respect so it's not that bad tbh
I miss Rumble Falls for the sheer cluster **** that it was to play that made it fun to do a lot of players, all items on high, matches on. Same with Icicle Mountain.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I miss Rumble Falls for the sheer cluster **** that it was to play that made it fun to do a lot of players, all items on high, matches on. Same with Icicle Mountain.
I miss Jungle Hijinx for the background flipping, but I understand why it was taken out.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
BTW, there's a glitch happening with Mythra after Kazuya got released. The slowdown effect isn't working on Diddy's Banana.
Now I don't know if this is going to be one of those "Sometimes a glitch is just a glitch" types of things because it does work on other projectiles, but for the sake of speculation, what potential new characters could come with some kind of slowdown effect to cause this glitch?

Oh it's time! I knew it was about time! Time based mechanics! TimeSplitters!

Sgt. Cortez is coming!

Time to Split compressed.gif

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Plottwist: The character does not have to do with the slowdown

It has to do with the Banana

Twilord

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity what is the best take down of a realistically good-last-character that you folks have seen?

I was responding to a Crash-demanding troll a bit back with the most 'infuriating' anti-Crash argument I could think of, and the best I could come up with was to argue was basically:

"They're a supposed Playstation icon, but they couldn't even make the cut for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale - why would Smash want them?"

I know that argument is overlooking a few things; but I'm curious what are the technically-correct low-blows against other popular characters.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity what is the best take down of a realistically good-last-character that you folks have seen?

I was responding to a Crash-demanding troll a bit back with the most 'infuriating' anti-Crash argument I could think of, and the best I could come up with was to argue was basically:

"They're a supposed Playstation icon, but they couldn't even make the cut for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale - why would Smash want them?"

I know that argument is overlooking a few things; but I'm curious what are the technically-correct low-blows against other popular characters.
In the same vein, I always found it ironic how Cacutar, Black Mage, White Mage and Moogle appeared in the same amount of titles with Mario as Geno did.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Uhm, okay, out of the blue?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
They are making a new Final Fantasy IX cartoon so that game will have some renewed relevancy so a character from it wouldn’t be completely out of the question, even if it is extremely unlikely.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, one of the reasons I'd like to see a LOL rep is so Terry wouldn't be lonely anymore (after all, Tencent does own both Riot and SNK).
Pretty sure it's been noted in here that Tencent doesn't own SNK. Paging our resident foreign markets expert SKX31 SKX31 for cross-checking.
I swear it's one of those misconceptions that's going to stick and I'm pretty sure I know why. And not just due to geopolitical stuff.

Here's my previous explanation:

SNK was sold to two corps [in 2015]: 37 Games, a mobile / browser game dev that has mostly been content with selling their games in China / SEA, and Orient Securities, a investment bank and brokering firm in Shanghai with ties to the state-owned oil company Shenergy Group. I'm pretty sure that those two were involved in the background when SNK talked with Nintendo about Smash.
The paper Zhuge has was obscure though, and SNK did cooperate a lot with Tencent (even if Tencent never bought a single % of SNK) so the confusion is understandable. Tencent was not involved with Terry though.
EGDC / MiSK Foundation - both of which under the Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman - bought 33 % of SNK in 2020, and bought an additional 17 % this past March, giving MiSK control over SNK. I should add to this that just as SNK are pretty damn friendly towards Tencent, SNK also has a friendly relationship with Bin Salman dating back to at least 2017 if not earlier: SNK's chairman participated in a global forum and panel organized by MBS and the MiSK Foundation that year. And things went from there - the KoF character Najd was created by an artist working for MiSK's Magna Productions (oh and her codename is pretty much one of the historical Arabian regions, where Riyadh's located).

Which, yeah, proves the point that corps that are SNK's size and above generally aren't keen on rocking the proverbial boat. Even if the behind the scenes is rather murky to say the least.

What's also worth noting is that in 2015 ca. 80 % of SNK was valued at ca. $63 million, and 33 % of SNK in 2020 (when MiSK stepped into the picture) was valued at $216 million. Okay, Terry's Smash appearance isn't everything, but that certainly helped.

can all the leakers who claimed there was a Switch Pro in the works shut up now?
Well, I'm pretty sure that the Universal Display Corp CEO is feeling a little silly over leaking it (well, kinda) accidentally 2 months ago.

Also:

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Finally the "Switch Pro", just not the big performance upgrade that people were expecting. :4pacman: Anyways hard pass, I'll stick to my current Switch.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

Honestly glad it wasn’t a graphical/performance upgrade, wasn’t ready to upgrade from the base model yet

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They should put in Nahobino by virtue of being the coolest animated character Atlus have ever made:
Damn, Hot Boy doing Hot Boy **** makes me want to go physical for the game even though Demon Whisper might be back
I swear it's one of those misconceptions that's going to stick and I'm pretty sure I know why. And not just due to geopolitical stuff.

Here's my previous explanation:

EGDC / MiSK Foundation - both of which under the Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman - bought 33 % of SNK in 2020, and bought an additional 17 % this past March, giving MiSK control over SNK. I should add to this that just as SNK are pretty damn friendly towards Tencent, SNK also has a friendly relationship with Bin Salman dating back to at least 2017 if not earlier: SNK's chairman participated in a global forum and panel organized by MBS and the MiSK Foundation that year. And things went from there - the KoF character Najd was created by an artist working for MiSK's Magna Productions (oh and her codename is pretty much one of the historical Arabian regions, where Riyadh's located).

Which, yeah, proves the point that corps that are SNK's size and above generally aren't keen on rocking the proverbial boat. Even if the behind the scenes is rather murky to say the least.

What's also worth noting is that in 2015 ca. 80 % of SNK was valued at ca. $63 million, and 33 % of SNK in 2020 (when MiSK stepped into the picture) was valued at $216 million. Okay, Terry's Smash appearance isn't everything, but that certainly helped.

Well, I'm pretty sure that the Universal Display Corp CEO is feeling a little silly over leaking it (well, kinda) accidentally 2 months ago.

Also:

Holy **** it comes with a goddamn LAN port, took long enough

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would have much rather saved my money for a PS5 than bought an upgraded version of a console I already have anyway so I’m not really bothered by this.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They should put in Nahobino by virtue of being the coolest animated character Atlus have ever made:
They could, but since Sakurai likes playing the game a character is from before conceptualizing the moveset, this might be cutting it extremely close.

Heck, I'd even be willing to say Nahobino is 100% ruled out because it'd be impossible to fully do before 2021 ends simply because of how late in the year SMTV gets released.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They could, but since Sakurai likes playing the game a character is from before conceptualizing the moveset, this might be cutting it extremely close.

Heck, I'd even be willing to say Nahobino is 100% ruled out because it'd be impossible to fully do before 2021 ends simply because of how late in the year SMTV gets released.
Not if he gets an early build of the game (like happened with Three House) or keeps in touch with Atlus during development.
Nahobino, assuming it gets released in September/October, would have started development March/April if we go by the "DLC fighters take around 6 months of development" thing. At that point, SMT V might not be finalized but obviously all the key elements of the game, characters and story are already decided.

I don't think it's that hard. The hard part IMO comes from Nintendo actually going with the new protag and if they want to release a character before it's game of origin comes out.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Maybe I’m the contrary of some others but..

I prefer more fighters over single player content.

Just give me a target test editor so people can do, share and play custom target tests (like Mario Maker games) and I will be satisfied with the other modes (spirits battles, classic mode and the other minigames). They can re-use the assets of stage builder so I don’t think that would be impossible.
I actually kind of like this idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom