• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Could you give me an example?
Long story short: lotsa' spamming the last couple weeks.

Anyway, does anybody here still want to talk about Dixie Kong or should we move on onto something like Captain Toad?
I could go for some Dixie talk.
Not sure how likely it would be but I'd love if she was included with K. Rool in a DK character/stage pack or something, I do see her as a likely DLC candidate however since Sakurai would most likely make her a semi-clone of Diddy.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well this is weird. Came back to the Smash 4 Social Thread being locked again. After reading Hylain's post, I'm scared of what will happen to the community I've settled into and gotten comfortable with.

But that's not why I'm here. In light of recent events I've realized the end of many of my choice characters for this game are either no longer likely or nigh-impossible.

Assists like Waluigi, Saki, and Takamaru and the widespread panning of characters like Geno have left what I feel to be only a very, very select few left I really care about, and I'm not sure whether to agree and give up or fight a battle that can't be won.
well, to me it;s this, if you want someone, first VOTE....that;s real;y the first.

But if you want him a lot, then why not support?

I mean, the day I'll give up for paper mario is when he\s deconfimred in which case isn't that bad because I still have that stage :)

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I really want a new Luigi's Mansion game.........

Just to give more reason for King Boo as our next Mario representive.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I really want a new Luigi's Mansion game.........

Just to give more reason for King Boo as our next Mario representive.
As much as I like King Boo(he's a classic Mario franchise villain after all)...how would a constantly floating character work in a game where knocking your opponent off the stage is so pivotal to victory?

You could argue Dedede, Kirby, Puff and Peach also float, but they all have legs and require landing at some point...Boo does not. The Clown Coptor is the only thing that SHOULD constantly float but doesn't, but it'd be really weird seeing King Boo fall off the stage opposed to a modified mecha.

In fact the two biggest things about King Boo IMO would make him ridiculously broken in Smash; Infinite floating and intangibility.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why what?

Why should the mecha float based on traditional source material or why would it look weird for King Boo to suddenly fall off a stage like he's got swimming cramps?
Why would it look any weirder than the Clown Car?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Why would it look any weirder than the Clown Car?
The clown car is made of solid matter and therefore affected by gravity. Helicoptors can fly and hover, but if they run out of fuel they tend to be no less affected by gravity than a tank. For the record I do find it a bit odd the Clown Car can't hover at all, but it's easy to handwave an explaination since it's been filled to the brim with new tools and weaponry it's possibly a little heavier than it is in the Mario series or has been modified specifically for battle.

King Boo as far as I know(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this btw) has never been affected by gravity because he's a ghost and isn't tied to the earth in that way. Maybe some unfinished business tying him to the planet, but not a physical force like gravity. I'm not sure how you handwave King Boo suddenly not being able to float like you could the Clown Car.

Seeing as one of King Boo's defining traits is being a ghost and capable of endless flight, PERSONALLY(which is the key word here) I'd find it weird to see him plummeting to his death. It'd be like he forgot how to move all of a sudden.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just handwave it with the explanation that King Boo's crown is heavy.

Worked for Doc's coat~ ;3

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All this Young Link talk gotta makes you miss the Impa days don't y'all think?

Yes, let's talk about Impa. Or better yet, the potential of having more semi-clones as DLC outside of Wolf.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Yes, let's talk about Impa. Or better yet, the potential of having more semi-clones as DLC outside of Wolf.
Wolf is the only veteran semi-clone left to add though. All the remaining cut characters were unique.:popo::ivysaur::snake::squirtle:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wolf is the only veteran semi-clone left to add though. All the remaining cut characters were unique.:popo::ivysaur::snake::squirtle:
Yes but I wasn't exactly talking veterans here. I was talking about the potential of having new semi-clones added as DLC after Wolf. Personally, I still think Impa and Dixie are quite likely to fill this quota.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yes but I wasn't exactly talking veterans here. I was talking about the potential of having new semi-clones added as DLC after Wolf. Personally, I still think Impa and Dixie are quite likely to fill this quota.
Why make them semi-clones when you can make them full characters? Considering we are going to pay the same amount anyway.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Why make them semi-clones when you can make them full characters? Considering we are going to pay the same amount anyway.
Also, clones are clones because of time. Time that is dedicated to stages and modes.

DLC characters have a little more time in the oven. This is apparent with Ryu - he has 2 final smashes, Street Fighter inputs and such. Roy was decloned from Marth.

This is why I find the argument that "Dixie would be a Diddy clone!" and "Daisy would be a Peach clone!" silly.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
a second sega rep is hard to determine. what are everyone's thoughts on the chances we get one for sega and namco?
SEGA gets a second Sonic character or bust in my eyes; don't expect it but more than something from Namco; whose main other franchise (Tekken) has apparently already been considered.

For what it's worth Sonic has a larger fanbase who I'd expect to pull more weight on the ballot than any Namco property.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

I'd rather a semi-clone Impa than any form of Young Link whatsoever.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
a second sega rep is hard to determine. what are everyone's thoughts on the chances we get one for sega and namco?
The only possibility for Sega, at least one that meets the current standards for third parties, would be a second Sonic character...in which case either Tails or Eggman would be the next best fit...Bayonetta does have the popular vote for another Sega character but I don't think she quite meets the standards we've seen thus far...

Namco's tough to say for sure Dig Dug is a bit of a classic...but more of a retro pick and as a third party I'm not sure that's exactly a wise decision as he'd be fairly obscure because of this...a Tekken or Soul Calibur character would be another possibility whether it'd be Heihachi or Seigfried (or Yoshimitsu who's got both covered) is another story...I wouldn't think it'd be too out of line for a Soul Calibur character seeing as Link was in SCII back in the day, but that on it own isn't really a good enough reason methinks...

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I'd rather a semi-clone Impa than any form of Young Link whatsoever.
Too bad....

:4tlink:

But seriously, this guy is basically Young Link stylised in toon form. I might even argue that Young Link was never cut. He just went through some...changes.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I don't think semi clones should be added just to fill a quota...I doubt Sakurai's looking for semi-clones...however, semi-clones are easier to make they cost less time and resources...in which case some characters may draw him more because of this in which both Dixie and Impa would seem to be the better choices in that regard if Sakurai wanted to add more characters to DLC as they are amoung the most popular who would fit as semi-clones (I'm not saying that Dark Samus would also work....but Dark Samus would also work)

SonicMario

Smash Master
Bayonetta does have the popular vote for another Sega character but I don't think she quite meets the standards we've seen thus far...
Bayonetta would be more of a Platinum Games rep then a Sega one. Sega's role in Bayonetta 2 was pretty much just a publishing role and nothing more.

Like DJ3DS said when it comes to Sega if they were to get another character it would be a 2nd Sonic rep or bust. The series is popular/well-known enough to justify it. Tails, Eggman, and Knuckles being nearly as iconic of the series as Sonic himself would all be good candidates.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I'm split between knux and eggman for the second sonic character. Both of them being something desirable, with a laugh factor from eggman if you have him scaled properly, because his mechs are too big for him to use and it's fun to watch the fat man run. But knuckles could have multiple things like gliding and wall climbing, with little-mac-esque speed and jumps, but less power.

What are your thoughts on movesets and playstyle?

The reason I don't want tails is because he hasn't earned it. He may be the sidekick, but every game in recent years has tried to change him. Knux and the eggman are somewhat consistent.

Last edited:

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Bayonetta would be more of a Platinum Games rep then a Sega one. Sega's role in Bayonetta 2 was pretty much just a publishing role and nothing more.

Like DJ3DS said when it comes to Sega if they were to get another character it would be a 2nd Sonic rep or bust. The series is popular/well-known enough to justify it. Tails, Eggman, and Knuckles being nearly as iconic of the series as Sonic himself would all be good candidates.
im hoping for Tails :lol:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'm split between knux and eggman for the second sonic character. Both of them being something desirable, with a laugh factor from eggman if you have him scaled properly, because his mechs are too big for him to use and it's fun to watch the fat man run. ?
I'm more of a Tails man myself but as for Eggman, would you want something like this?

He seems to be downscaled in gameplay compared to his normal appearance.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Platinum merely developed the game, Sega owns the IP...

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I'm more of a Tails man myself but as for Eggman, would you want something like this?

He seems to be downscaled in gameplay compared to his normal appearance.
I'd rather have classic eggman, as there is already some normals and I feel they would be able to use the classic badniks better in his moveset than modern eggman would be able to do with his badniks.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Knuckles? Consistent?

The abomination of knuckles in boom aside, his general thing has stayed about the same, with a few tweaks here and there. More so than tails. Nothing is consistent in the sonic universe.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'd rather have classic eggman, as there is already some normals and I feel they would be able to use the classic badniks better in his moveset than modern eggman would be able to do with his badniks.
I was just referring to his out of mech playable appearance but sure.
The abomination of knuckles in boom aside, his general thing has stayed about the same, with a few tweaks here and there. More so than tails. Nothing is consistent in the sonic universe.
Don't double post.

D

Deleted member

The clown car is made of solid matter and therefore affected by gravity. Helicoptors can fly and hover, but if they run out of fuel they tend to be no less affected by gravity than a tank. For the record I do find it a bit odd the Clown Car can't hover at all, but it's easy to handwave an explaination since it's been filled to the brim with new tools and weaponry it's possibly a little heavier than it is in the Mario series or has been modified specifically for battle.

King Boo as far as I know(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this btw) has never been affected by gravity because he's a ghost and isn't tied to the earth in that way. Maybe some unfinished business tying him to the planet, but not a physical force like gravity. I'm not sure how you handwave King Boo suddenly not being able to float like you could the Clown Car.

Seeing as one of King Boo's defining traits is being a ghost and capable of endless flight, PERSONALLY(which is the key word here) I'd find it weird to see him plummeting to his death. It'd be like he forgot how to move all of a sudden.
Need I remind you Mewtwo is in a permanent state of levitation (hence why he has low knockback resistance) yet can plummet to his death?

Also
Just handwave it with the explanation that King Boo's crown is heavy.

Worked for Doc's coat~ ;3
Even if King Boo has no "weight", pretty sure his jeweled crown has some weight to it.

EDIT: Hell, Rosalina too! I forgot her!
And unlike Mewtwo, her feet never touch the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Platinum merely developed the game, Sega owns the IP...
Platinum didn't just make the game, they also created the IP. Sega owns it, though, because of publishing rights, and they actually allowed someone else to publish the game. It's technically Sega owned but it's not really a Sega IP and that puts it in a tough spot.

SonicMario

Smash Master
There's actually more then just Boom. There's how he was in the Adventure games, perhaps his best portrayal where he is the guardian of the Master Emerald and while he still makes his mistakes (Especially in SA1) he's still generally competent and has a solid goal.

...Then that's completely thrown out in favor of Knuckles joining in everything without ever mentioning the Emerald started with Sonic Heroes.

Probably doesn't help he gets a few idiot moments like running towards a dead end and then turning the right way in one of the last cutscenes in Sonic 06.

Maybe some character moments haven't been the best for Tails either like in Lost World. But he's still done more substantial things then Knuckles has in recent years. (Heck, Going back to Lost World. Knuckles just stands around as he and Amy are frozen(?) from that life-sucking thing)

Though honestly character portrayal should have nothing to do with in regards to Smash. Tails is Sonic's Luigi, he offers the least complicated as well as having more unique properties to him. (Knuckles unique properties may be gliding and/or even climbing, but otherwise I think he'd just be made a heavier, stronger, slower Sonic. Like how Ganondorf is to Captain Falcon. Tails would also share some moves with Sonic but he'd also have a far better recovery and the possibility of using his plethora of gadgets. He'd probably also be lighter (Though not as fast as Sonic, but still generally fast like maybe around Captain Falcon's Speed)). As for Eggman, while it'd be cool to have him the only way I feel he'll work is if they base him off Bowser Jr. with Eggman in his Egg Mobile. But I feel having a character that can work similarly to Sonic while still generally nearly as popular and iconic as Sonic as the 2nd Sonic rep would be easier on the devs. Cause even if they go for the Eggman Jr. route, they'd still probably have to work out unique things for his moveset cause it's not like everything in Junior's moveset is something Eggman ever had.

D

Deleted member

If Eggman is playable, there is only one option.

Sonic had standard attacks based from Sonic the Fighters, so any theoretical secondary Sonic character (aside from those who didn't exist then such as Shadow) should follow suit.

There you go, Eggman in a mech that isn't even remotely similar to Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If Eggman is playable, there is only one option.

Sonic had standard attacks based from Sonic the Fighters, so any theoretical secondary Sonic character (aside from those who didn't exist then such as Shadow) should follow suit.

There you go, Eggman in a mech that isn't even remotely similar to Jr.
And I'm over here still thinking that Porky in a mech wouldn't be a bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom