• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Guys it's either tama is right and were getting Shovel knight which isn't all that bad.Or stealth_ is right and were getting a "nintendo newcomer" either way it goes were getting something this month.That's hype if you ask me
Moreso 5 paths
1) Tama's right
2) stealth's right
3) we get a non-SK 3rd party this month
4) we get only a veteran/veterans this month
5) we get nothing this month.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Moreso 5 paths
1) Tama's right
2) stealth's right
3) we get a non-SK 3rd party this month
4) we get only a veteran/veterans this month
5) we get nothing this month.
Those are possiblites but i dont think were getting vets anymore so i beleive its nothing but newcomers from now on

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
So....I'm definitely going to get blasted for this, but I feel the need to bring it up....

It seems to me that many people are willing to ignore the usual, valid objections they raise against a DLC candidate when it comes to K. Rool.

Relevancy? He hasn't been in any game since a Mario sports spin off title (Mario Super Sluggers, 2008) and he and the Kremlings have been completely replaced as the antagonists of Donkey Kong Country (The Tikis in Returns and the Snomads in Tropical Freeze). But he's totally still relevant because....reasons.

The ballot isn't a popularity poll, it's a suggestion box, but K. Rool is super popular so that makes him more likely. As a sub-point to this I would point out that it's somewhat dangerous to equate the vocal community on Smashboards and within the super-committed Smash community to the total, more casual consumers of Smash. And also the results of the numerous straw polls to the actual feedback in the real ballot.

Now, this isn't to say that K. Rool is impossible or even unlikely. What I'm saying is that these are valid criticisms and potential problems to his inclusion as a DLC character and should be acknowledged no less than when they are brought up against any other character.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So....I'm definitely going to get blasted for this, but I feel the need to bring it up....

It seems to me that many people are willing to ignore the usual, valid objections they raise against a DLC candidate when it comes to K. Rool.

Relevancy? He hasn't been in any game since a Mario sports spin off title (Mario Super Sluggers, 2008) and he and the Kremlings have been completely replaced as the antagonists of Donkey Kong Country (The Tikis in Returns and the Snomads in Tropical Freeze). But he's totally still relevant because....reasons.

The ballot isn't a popularity poll, it's a suggestion box, but K. Rool is super popular so that makes him more likely. As a sub-point to this I would point out that it's somewhat dangerous to equate the vocal community on Smashboards and within the super-committed Smash community to the total, more casual consumers of Smash. And also the results of the numerous straw polls to the actual feedback in the real ballot.

Now, this isn't to say that K. Rool is impossible or even unlikely. What I'm saying is that these are valid criticisms and potential problems to his inclusion as a DLC character and should be acknowledged no less than when they are brought up against any other character.
This is so true.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
1) Both are certainly relevant. K. Rool being cited as of Smash 4 as "DK's Bowser." She's more recent due to Tropical Freeze.
2) We don't exactly know how that mechanic was going to work nor how far into production it was. The most we can get out of it is the fact that she had crossed Sakurai's radar in a major way.

There is the answer then. If Sakurai saw something in her what makes you think he won't consider her again? She had a model and might have had a moveset left over from Brawl's development. I would love to see both K. Rool & Dixie since they both have popularity, they both have moveset potential, they are both relevant (whether it be through fan support or new games) but I feel as if Sakurai would choose Dixie over K. Rool.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
:wolf:
I believe you're wrong.
Tying in with what was said by a few people several minutes ago, it's not like the people opposed to veterans have no valid complaints or criticisms. Someone likened getting veterans from the ballot to sort of being like getting presents, but knowing exactly what they are already.

... They probably worded the analogy far better than I did.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Tying in with what was said by a few people several minutes ago, it's not like the people opposed to veterans have no valid complaints or criticisms. Someone likened getting veterans from the ballot to sort of being like getting presents, but knowing exactly what they are already.

... They probably worded the analogy far better than I did.
But that doesn't mean there can't be multiple presents, what's knowing one of many possible presents going to do? And if it's something you like and wanted then that's nothing but a good thing

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
GameFAQs has an embarrassing UI when it comes to searching through popular boards, but I'll try to find something specific.

In the meantime, it's kind of a testament already that his main account there was, as I brought up, suspended to Purgatory level.

Edit: I do know of a post he made in the last few days on an alt where he admits to being wrong about Roy/Ryu.
OK. I know he trolls a lot on GameFAQs but some say he's credible though NeoGAF.

One thing of note, Stealth started talking about the new character just after tweeting about the private video on Nintendo's channel. I believe someone pointed it out to him before though. I believe his response was alone the line of there was a different video up, but I recommend looking at his twitter yourself to be sure. The dates are Oct 6.
How are you so sure it's his account?
Second hand sources say that's him. I'm pretty sure it is as everyone has been saying that.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
:wolf:
I believe you're wrong.
i'm sorry but i dont think were getting wolf or any vets from this point on.Qith the ballot people are expecting newcomers just to give us a veteran is just highly disappointing.Plus Imo Lucas was choosen as the brawl rep and people seems to forget that the only reason wolf got into brawl was because he was quick to make and the game got delayed.And if wolf really was as easy to make and as popular as people say he is why isn't he here yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Like this thread couldn't be any more un-hyping...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
i'm sorry but i dont think were getting wolf or any vets from this point on.Qith the ballot people are expecting newcomers just to give us a veteran is just highly disappointing.Plus Imo Lucas was choosen as the brawl rep and people seems to forget that the only reason wolf got into brawl was because he was quick to make and the game got delayed.And if wolf really was as easy to make and as popular as people say he is why isn't he here yet?
I've said this on the Wolf thread and I'll say it again, Wolf is not shoo-in, K. Rool isn't shoo-in, in fact, no character is shoo-in, people need to stop thinking that they are.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Stealth_ is a troll. I used to browse GFAQS and everytime a new leak used to pop up, he would immediately claim it was fake or complain how other users were gullible and argue with others because of it.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

This is true, but it may mean less in the ballot than the normal game. In the full game, you have to have a greater variety of fighters rather than the ones online communities like. DLC is different because its more targeted at those communities as they are more likely to purchase DLC. The ballot is a sneaky way to guage interest in characters. Sakurai will always consider which characters will work best in the scheme of the game. But what characters are popular and where will mean more than it usually will given the nature of DLC.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tamaki has been more right than wrong.
The problem with Tamaki is that he USUALLY spits out info without being entirely sure of its credibility. Devil's Third not coming to America is one instance. There's been a few other times he's turned around and blamed it on anything that didn't involve him. Ex. When he said Nintendo did a 360 on not releasing Devil's Third because he had 'leaked' that they wouldn't be bringing it to America, which is obvious BS. He's a leaker who doesn't delve deep enough into the material to get enough info. When the Shovel Knight Amiibo was leaked he said that it was in fact the Smash Bros version(false) and Shovel Knight would be added at its release (now that we know that the Amiibo is no Smash Brand we can assume this is also false.) He's gotten lucky in the past but his luck is running out. If he wants to be good at what he does he needs to delve deeper and try harder to find legit information.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
In my opinion, just try not to leak the character reveals please?

Otherwise, it would ruin the surprise (royu was supposed to be a surprise remember?)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Cuz Star Fox Zero?
Cuz procrastination?
Cuz they decided not to develop him?
Cuz they simply decided to work on Roy and Lucas first?

We don't know either way. And if you truly wanted Wolf, would you really be disappointed to get him instead of a newcomer?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, Brash the Bear can reuse assets from the Teddy Bear costume and Sakurai might revisit him because of the recent release of DKC3 on the VC...and it's a suggestion box!

It's gratifying to see no one taking "relevance" seriously anymore for the most part. Save the allegations for if people start demanding one-off characters from the 90s instead of series villains with one or two absences.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Alright time for some fun!
If a character with nothing on any Nintendo console got into Smash, who would you want?

Personally, I would accept the TF2 Soldier since he could play in a similar (but different) way to Snake.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
If a character with nothing on any Nintendo console got into Smash, who would you want?

Personally, I would accept the TF2 Soldier since he could play in a similar (but different) way to Snake.
When it comes to TF2 characters, I'd rather have the Spy.

... Even if I really can't envision a moveset for him working out all that well, if it's mostly based off of his playstyle in the game.

Other than that, Spike from Ape Escape 1.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

In the world of indie series, there is one that reigns Queen.
A curtain fire series (which dabbles occasionally into Fighters) with one of the largest and most dedicated fanbases which have churned out fangames of just about every genre out there.

Of them, two stars reign. A Shrine Maiden, and....

The Western-Styled Magian who beckons youkai and demons under her charms.
The mistress of the Love Coloured Master Spark.

KIRISAME, MARRIIIIIISSSAAAA!

Edit:

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Snake seems like more of a Demoman. Setting traps and using stickys and stuff.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

I'm really leaning towards a DotA character. The Invoker would be nice. With the ability to shift through different combinations of reagents to produce different elemental B specials. For normals, generic punches and kicks enhanced by the types of reagents in play. For instance, if he had 3 Quas regeants out, his attacks would have a slowing effect. 3 Wex, he becomes faster. 3 Exort, his attacks burn. All 3 types out at once, no elemental effects; the attacks function as normal.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Um......Parappa the Rapper? I honestly don't know many franchises that did not appear on a Nintendo console.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

tbh, I haven't really thought of any characters that aren't available on any Nintendo consoles...mainly because I know they won't happen, but for the sake of the game...

Probably...I don't even know...I was gonna say Commander Shepard then I remembered that Mass Effect 3 has a Wii U port...

----

edit: ah. Hold on a sec this guy would be neat in Smash...I wonder how many others played this game back in the day...

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Cuz Star Fox Zero?
Cuz procrastination?
Cuz they decided not to develop him?
Cuz they simply decided to work on Roy and Lucas first?

We don't know either way. And if you truly wanted Wolf, would you really be disappointed to get him instead of a newcomer?
yes because i want new characters and new content.i enjoy wolf as a character but if i can take choose between something completely or something old and is already semi-token from someone else i would take the completely new thing.And you know what.There's no excuse for us not to have gotten wolf in wave 4.You can get away with wave 3 because it can so close after wave 2 but there was no excuse for no wolf in the 4th wave.I belivee people are putting to much stock in the promotion theory.Sakurai has never held back a character or game just to promote something else.True he added roy to promote his FE game but your trying to tell me that sakurai is purposing holding back a character just to release him close to a game release window?That's so unlike anything he has done before.With the ballot i expect newcomers and with the talked in that E3 smash direct i believe he simply choose lucas a character a character he has always put above wolf.Like i have no gripe to people who want wolf.Believe what you want because at the end of day wolf is pretty likeli'm y not gonna lie.Wouldn't be surprised if that next trailer shows his face.just in my personal opinion and from what i seen so far i dont believe he's coming

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
A bunch of people would disagree with you on Wolf being a disappointment. As for why he's not in yet, I've seen a few theories,
1. He was held back to release later, either to help promote Star Fox Zero or just to not give us to many DLC veterans at one time.
2. He's not a clone and requires a little more time to make.
3. He's an easy cash grab, and Nintendo wants to release him during the time period that they are making ballot characters.
4. Sakurai hates Wolf for some reason.
5. Iwata's death messed everything up.

Considering Sakurai says he hates cutting vets, I really hope number 4 isn't the case, because Wolf has literally no obstacles and is easy to make as well as highly requested. There is nothing to lose from doing Wolf character DLC.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
yes because i want new characters and new content.i enjoy wolf as a character but if i can take choose between something completely or something old and is already semi-token from someone else i would take the completely new thing.And you know what.There's no excuse for us not to have gotten wolf in wave 4.You can get away with wave 3 because it can so close after wave 2 but there was no excuse for no wolf in the 4th wave.I belivee people are putting to much stock in the promotion theory.Sakurai has never held back a character or game just to promote something else.True he added roy to promote his FE game but your trying to tell me that sakurai is purposing holding back a character just to release him close to a game release window?That's so unlike anything he has done before.With the ballot i expect newcomers and with the talked in that E3 smash direct i believe he simply choose lucas a character a character he has always put above wolf.Like i have no gripe to people who want wolf.Believe what you want because at the end of day wolf is pretty likeli'm y not gonna lie.Wouldn't be surprised if that next trailer shows his face.just in my personal opinion and from what i seen so far i dont believe he's coming
Then it appears we view things differently, as I would rather have more veterans than anything else. But it doesn't matter really. All we can do is just see how this plays out.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Vets can happen just as much as newcomers. Wolf AND Snake are Top 10 (i'm betting on it) and to say people would be disappointed with that is ignoring their position in votes in the first place.

Veterans AND newcomers are hype. It won't matter to the collective fanbase anyway. Any news will cause hype.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
^ THIS.

If the fact that Japan is actually supporting cut veterans like Pichu, The Climbers, Wolf and such, then I'm not sure what can.

:bowser:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Vets can happen just as much as newcomers. Wolf AND Snake are Top 10 (i'm betting on it) and to say people would be disappointed with that is ignoring their position in votes in the first place.

Veterans AND newcomers are hype. It won't matter to the collective fanbase anyway. Any news will cause hype.
True dat. Especially with the lack of characters at the moment. I wonder what really is happening with the ballot.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Wolf would be a disappointment? You mean one of the most consistently requested and voted for characters that has already existed in Smash as a playable character, that probably has a crap-ton of players who mained said character previously and wants him to return, because they loved the character and/or the playstyle that he had?...

Yep...a disappointment...

The only disappointment that would happen in Wolf's case is if he doesn't happen as DLC since he was not only wanted by many, but EXPECTED since Lucas' (and the Smash Ballot's) reveal way back in the beginning of the year...He still remains as the most requested veteran and arguably one of the most requested characters. Period. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that he's even become the top most requested since K Rool's following seemed to decline a bit after his Mii Costume reveal in August (which I think is pretty dumb tbh)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet, he's one of my all-time favorite video game characters.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The problem with Tamaki is that he USUALLY spits out info without being entirely sure of its credibility. Devil's Third not coming to America is one instance. There's been a few other times he's turned around and blamed it on anything that didn't involve him. Ex. When he said Nintendo did a 360 on not releasing Devil's Third because he had 'leaked' that they wouldn't be bringing it to America, which is obvious BS. He's a leaker who doesn't delve deep enough into the material to get enough info. When the Shovel Knight Amiibo was leaked he said that it was in fact the Smash Bros version(false) and Shovel Knight would be added at its release (now that we know that the Amiibo is no Smash Brand we can assume this is also false.) He's gotten lucky in the past but his luck is running out. If he wants to be good at what he does he needs to delve deeper and try harder to find legit information.
I have to say this, Tamaki has stated several times that the Amiibo has nothing to do with the leak, he's stated that the retailers will be selling special download codes for the character and that he'll be revealed either later this month, or early next month, with that being the most likely time of reveal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom