• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Well... Alph could be much different from Olimar if he only has Rock Pikmin. They would basically be Purple Pikmin reskinned... so Alph would be much stronger than Olimar but with a much shorter range due to how far Rock Pikmin are thrown. I feel that this would make Alph play much differently from Olimar even with same moves...
I don't count that as different.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'm fairly certain that Alph will use Pikmin if he becomes a Smash character one day, but he doesn't even need to be a semi-clone. There's plenty of stuff he could do that Olimar doesn't. Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong fight in similar ways in their games, yet Diddy isn't a semi-clone of Donkey. In fact, all of the Fire Emblem guys have the same fighting style in their games, but we have three of them with unique movesets.

Alph can use Rock Pikmin, fruit, spray, bomb rocks, and marbles. Alph could also have the Pikmin throw him. The only move that Alph would have that Olimar also has is Pikmin Pluck, but that doesn't make him a clone or partial clone.

By the way, if Louie becomes a fighter, he wouldn't even ever have to touch a Pikmin in his moveset. Take a look at this.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think it would be best to have 2 characters, each with some costumes of other characters. That way there will be a lot of Captains but only using 2 movesets that are relatively similar to each other.

Good way to save resources while giving happiness to Pikmin fans.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The problem I have with another Pikmin character is, they literally will have to be forced into the game as clones as they all do the exact same thing, save for some minor size differences...Also, Let's face it Sakurai will not make the enemies of Pikmin playable if he isn't going to bother to make any enemies from Mario or Zelda playable...

Unless the new pikmin game will introduce a whole bunch of new mechanics, outside of having new types of Pikmin, that the Captains utiIize, I don't really see the reason to add a new character outside of just being 'free dessert'...I don't think a character should be added just to expand the roster, or just to add 'muh reps'...

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I will however admit that there is a buttload of untapped potential in Pikmin. Stages, AT< and especially bosses are just waiting to be used for things

Imagine a Submerged Castle level with the Water Wraith rolling around one-shotting people until a horde of purples rain down so players can wail on him.

Maybe bulbmin as an assist trophy. or a swooping snitchbug that grabs players and grounds them like the pitfall item.

There really is a lot of potential in the franchise. . .just not as playable fighters.
How about a dynamic Pikmin stage that changes "skin" (so the basic layout is always the same, but things like textures will be different) to different stages from the Pikmin series every time you select it? Hole of Heroes featuring Man-at-Legs (unless Sakurai thinks that counts as a "realistic gun"), Formidable Oak with Plasm Wraith (that only targets Olimar :troll:), the Forest of Hope with the Burrowing Snagret.

Reading that there's gonna be a Pikmin 4 is grand, I thought Pikmin 3 ended disappointingly with regards to plot and cliffhangers. Undoubtedly there's gonna be more new stuff to exploit for Smash.

The music selection for Pikmin is kind of lame, too. I'd like some of the Pikmin music to to not sound like music from a dentist's waiting room or outtakes from a nature documentary. The Forest Navel, the trippiest Pikmin track to exist, can be put in as it is. A remix of the world map for Pikmin 1 would make this cute tune more suitable for fighting. Wistful Wild is just begging to get a killer remix.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
I still think it is different... I mean, imagine Olimar only pulling out Purple Pikmin and nothing else... you would be playing Olimar differently.
Not worth having Ganondorf grab range and struggling to get KOs before time runs out.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I still think it is different... I mean, imagine Olimar only pulling out Purple Pikmin and nothing else... you would be playing Olimar differently.
Yes.
You'd be playing a character designed around variety of Pikmin as a one-note.
That is... different, but certainly not a move I see being made within the next 3 installments of Smash.

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone have a knowledge on how well Xenoblade X did in Japan (in comparison to its prequel, in particular). It just makes me question the likes of... Elma, for a future installment as my only REAL measure is that a particular image site I frequent, which is Japanese-based, has... incredibly minimal for X.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The problem I have with another Pikmin character is, they literally will have to be forced into the game as clones as they all do the exact same thing, save for some minor size differences...Also, Let's face it Sakurai will not make the enemies of Pikmin playable if he isn't going to bother to make any enemies from Mario or Zelda playable...

Unless the new pikmin game will introduce a whole bunch of new mechanics, outside of having new types of Pikmin, that the Captains utiIize, I don't really see the reason to add a new character outside of just being 'free dessert'...I don't think a character should be added just to expand the roster, or just to add 'muh reps'...
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4ganondorf: Nope. No enemies.

It doesn't matter which faction a character is of, It just matters that it's popular, and can fight. Plazm Wraith fits that criteria if it's the most requested Pikmin Character.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4ganondorf: Nope. No enemies.

It doesn't matter which faction a character is of, It just matters that it's popular, and can fight. Plazm Wraith fits that criteria if it's the most requested Pikmin Character.
I think by "enemy characters" he meant generic enemies, such as Goombas and Koopa Troopas. Besides the Captains and, arguably, the Plasms, Pikmin for the most part has "generic enemies".

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone have a knowledge on how well Xenoblade X did in Japan (in comparison to its prequel, in particular). It just makes me question the likes of... Elma, for a future installment as my only REAL measure is that a particular image site I frequent, which is Japanese-based, has... incredibly minimal for X.
Sales-wise, there's this from the first week.

I recall a guy from Japan who did an AMA on reddit about video games said XCX wasn't considered as good as XC, but that the graphics were considered very nice. He didn't really say much about it.

Burruni

Smash Hero

I recall a guy from Japan who did an AMA on reddit about video games said XCX wasn't considered as good as XC, but that the graphics were considered very nice. He didn't really say much about it.
Yeah....
In short, I doubt a second character from the Xenoblade series is going to come by Smash 5 from X, MAYBE a third game if it... swings back up.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I think by "enemy characters" he meant generic enemies, such as Goombas and Koopa Troopas. Besides the Captains and, arguably, the Plasms, Pikmin for the most part has "generic enemies".
^This...

I wasn't referring to bosses, either way the Plasm Wraith is the final boss in the latest game meaning it's fresh in people's minds, also...being the most requested character from a given franchise doesn't really do it any good if the franchise in general doesn't get a lot of requests to begin with...I would feel Alph has more a lot requests anyways as I rarely see Plasm Wraith's name come up all that much...

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I just want Art Academy representation. It's a great game that really works and I think Vince would be a great 'the next WTF/joke character'. I can't see him w/o some moves being made up tho.

Because why not eh?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I just want Art Academy representation. It's a great game that really works and I think Vince would be a great 'the next WTF/joke character'. I can't see him w/o some moves being made up tho.

Because why not eh?
Because if Isabelle gets promoted to a fighter in Smash 5, he could replace her purpose as an Assist Trophy, painting food to life for you to pick up.

Just a thought.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Because if Isabelle gets promoted to a fighter in Smash 5, he could replace her purpose as an Assist Trophy, painting food to life for you to pick up.

Just a thought.
That's actually not a bad idea. Having Vince keep her position as AT while she goes and fight could be interesting

Burruni

Smash Hero
That's actually not a bad idea. Having Vince keep her position as AT while she goes and fight could be interesting
Maybe that's just the history of Kirby Painters (namely Adeline) speaking to me, but it seems like one of few ways to keep an AT's function when the character would be turned into a fighter (Isabelle, Waluigi, and Takamaru being the big 3 that I believe have chance to make the jump by Smash 5).

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I think Louie would better now that I think about it. As Kirby Dragons said, he wouldn't need Pikmin to fight, in fact his moniker, "King of Bugs" is moveset potential already. Imagine him realizing the abilities of all the generic Pikmin enemies, and include sprays and treasures in his moveset as well. It's perfect.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I saw some Ganondorf talk earlier.

I wrote a massive in-depth analysis about Ganondorf in Smash for Source Gaming.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/07/ganondorf-smash-bros/

It's a long read. Very long, but I worked hard in getting this done.

Being an editorial, there are opinion-based statements on how I view the whole thing as well.
I greatly enjoy your writings on Smash (the clone article was great too!).

I whole heartedly agree with your points about Ganondorf being pretty much in line with his canon portrayal, at the very least on a symbolic level. I've never been too sure what people have in mind for a revamped 'Dorf moveset. Heavy sword user? Heavy magic user? I think what we have works, fits, and is more of a semiclone of Falcon at this point anyway.

Burruni

Smash Hero

I whole heartedly agree with your points about Ganondorf being pretty much in line with his canon portrayal, at the very least on a symbolic level. I've never been too sure what people have in mind for a revamped 'Dorf moveset. Heavy sword user? Heavy magic user? I think what we have works, fits, and is more of a semiclone of Falcon at this point anyway.
Just have WizPig Ganon come in Smash 5
And then you have your "magical, weapon-toting" kind of Ganon and let me retain my ThunderCougarFalconDorf

Edit:

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129

I'm okay with Claydorf's move-set for the most part, I find his u-tilt to be a bit weird, and I'm kinda bummed Deadman's Volley isn't part of his move-set, but other than that his move-set is fine.

Though I must say, I do like what Super Smash Bros. Crusade did with Ganondorf's move-set.

(I don't know how to set the time on a video but it's around 3:32)

It seems to address most of the complaints people have with Ganondorf. He uses his sword in some moves, has Deadman's Volley, and is still his brutal, powerful self. It's kinda cool~ :3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me, Smash Bros Crusade will always be "That one Smash fan-game that had Ryu and Duck Hunt BEFORE the actual Smash games had Ryu and Duck Hunt" Im not joking. Also i find the lack of Simon Belmont on Smash crusade disturbing.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
For me, Smash Bros Crusade will always be "That one Smash fan-game that had Ryu and Duck Hunt BEFORE the actual Smash games had Ryu and Duck Hunt" Im not joking. Also i find the lack of Simon Belmont on Smash crusade disturbing.
Add the following characters to it:

Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot
Did I mention Crash Bandicoot?

Burruni

Smash Hero
"And Waluigi."

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And... Y'know... a Toad
I guess

But namely Waluigi.

I want Waa to make the leap to being a bigger character both in Mario and as a fighter in Smash

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Just have WizPig Ganon come in Smash 5
And then you have your "magical, weapon-toting" kind of Ganon and let me retain my ThunderCougarFalconDorf

Edit:
I would be ok with this. ThunderCougerFalconDorf must protect the public image of my sexual orientation at all cost.

On a slightly more serious note, I have heard some people suggest Ganon before and I think its a pretty good idea. I wonder what his popularity in the current Smash poll is...

Burruni

Smash Hero
I would be ok with this. ThunderCougerFalconDorf must protect the public image of my sexual orientation at all cost.

On a slightly more serious note, I have heard some people suggest Ganon before and I think its a pretty good idea. I wonder what his popularity in the current Smash poll is...
Probably low as a whole, because the Zelda margin is pretty heavily held on Impa (grrrr) and the heavy villain market is owned by a certain pair of Reptiles.

I do my part to try to rally supporters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Being the most requested Pikmin Character is like being the most requested Yoshi character.
Yes; you're popular compared to other unpopular characters from your series but the support isn't really there to compete with the big guns. Or even the middling guns.

Crusade alongside Arcadenik's page was why I ended up supporting Duck Hunt(Dog) for this game. Imagine the surprise when he actually made it. I prefer some of Crusade's moves though. Whoops.

I think my only complaints about Crusade's roster was the lack of Dedede, Zelda and Wolf. Although it's been over a year and a half since I played it last so they could of gotten in since.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

Remember, Xenoblade wasn't as well received in Japan as it was in the West so it says not much has changed.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Probably low as a whole, because the Zelda margin is pretty heavily held on Impa (grrrr) and the heavy villain market is owned by a certain pair of Reptiles.

I do my part to try to rally supporters.
He's already on the way. Mario Maker was a good start.

Soon the world will know the horrors of purple.

:231:

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Being the most requested Pikmin Character is like being the most requested Yoshi character.
Yes; you're popular compared to other unpopular characters from your series but the support isn't really there to compete with the big guns. Or even the middling guns.

Crusade alongside Arcadenik's page was why I ended up supporting Duck Hunt(Dog) for this game. Imagine the surprise when he actually made it. I prefer some of Crusade's moves though. Whoops.

I think my only complaints about Crusade's roster was the lack of Dedede, Zelda and Wolf. Although it's been over a year and a half since I played it last so they could of gotten in since.
Might wanna add Charizard, Diddy, Roy, and Ike

Also, ****ing Tingle over Vaati? Nope nope NOPE

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Impa? Which version of Impa then? Hyrule Warriors version would be cool but if we're getting a Hyrule Warriors rep, I'd rather have Lana. Tingle would be cool and he's popular in Japan too. As for Waluigi, Waaaaaa. His appearance in Mario Maker is certainly a good thing but I still remember that Waluigi plush during Sakurai's explanation on Assist Trophies...

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Can someone please nicely explain why Captain Toad is such an appealing potential fighter?
First off, Toad, Captain or not, has appeared in a lot of Mario games.
He's had many fans over the years that have tried to get vanilla Toad in Smash.
Most appeal for Captain already comes from him being a Toad himself, and most view Cap as either "The next best thing", while others view him as a "Toad 2.0"

Captain specifically debuted in Galaxy as a minor NPC, continued this role in Galaxy 2.
Then he introduced his own puzzle-genre in 3D World and then got his own game.

This game is also where the most of his moveset potential comes from, as many items are introduced.
Headlamps, Propellor Platforms, Turnips and Turnip Cannons and Pickaxes.

These items can be used in a moveset that also does justice to the gameplay of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
What kind of moveset that is is up to you though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Impa? Which version of Impa then? Hyrule Warriors version would be cool but if we're getting a Hyrule Warriors rep, I'd rather have Lana. Tingle would be cool and he's popular in Japan too. As for Waluigi, Waaaaaa. His appearance in Mario Maker is certainly a good thing but I still remember that Waluigi plush during Sakurai's explanation on Assist Trophies...
Well
I... kinda... don't understand Impa support, fully. I assume, out of a fair amount of ignorance.

Early: :4zelda: was shown off but not :4sheik:, so we're probably getting SS Impa since she played the same role in that game, more or less!

After April Direct: We're gonna get Impa as a :4sheik: semi-clone, the trophy theory proves we're getting a SS rep! They may toss in some things from that Hyrule Warriors version of her too!

Now: She's... still the most requested Zelda Newcomer!

That's... kinda what I've felt out of it.

The issue is, Impa has the issues of Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim of only having big impact on a single title on the series (the best otherwise is being a sage) and... the fact that she keeps getting a hefty redesign from a Ninja, to Old Nanny, to... the Bulky Bruiser that existed in the Oracles games, that... she never made sense to me. If she kept the tradition of being a large-impact active Sheikah akin to SS for multiple games (and I don't count HW for anyone because it IS an outsourced spinoff, and even with it she got that streak of 2 interrupted by LBW where she was just.. the old nanny again).

I've felt like Tetra would be a better new addition for that swift, theif-like fighter if we were to get a second... part of that being WW HD hype.

And, admittedly only really dawning on me as of LBW, Ganon has just... made more sense and gets me more excited out of a Zelda newcomer. Then again I'd also FAR love Tingle over Impa for the sheer weirdness that would come out of him as a fighter but the raw riots may be too much to muster.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Ehhh...if we're really adding another Zelda character, I want it to be someone who literally cannot be a cheap clone. As cool as a Impa based on Hyrule Warriors would be, it's also entirely possible she'll simply end up being a Sheik clone. Pig Ganon is great, too....but there's also that potential for him to be a Dedede clone with edited animations and attacks. Same with Tetra and Sheik.
Ghirahim would be nice, but I don't know how likely he is for this game now that he's an AT. And the less said about Tingle, the better. :p

Frankly, I think that Zelda is well represented with just Zelda, Link and Ganondorf...well, thematically, at least. If we got an original Pig Ganon, that'd be all I would ever need of Zelda's characters in Smash. Represent the core of the franchise with the Triforce, but don't add too many auxiliary characters.

I kind of want DLC that gives love to franchises that really deserve more than what they have mostly. It's why I continue to support Ridley, despite all odds; I want to see my favorite Nintendo franchise see more playable characters than just Samus. That's why I want King K. Rool or Dixie, too; DKC is one of my most loved platformers, and I want to see it given more characters than just DK and Diddy. I want characters I loved in other Smash games to come back, and I want others to get those characters they love, too; which is why I'm so adamant about wanting Wolf back, even if he's not priority, and why I'd love to get Waluigi in the game.

But Zelda is really only about three core characters; Zelda, Link and Ganon(dorf), so what we have works mostly..except we need a Ganon that actually plays like Ganon and not Captain Falcon. Just like how Metroid is mostly about Samus' attempts to avenge her parents by destroying Ridley and how DKC is mostly about DK taking his banana hoard back from King K. Rool.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ehhh...if we're really adding another Zelda character, I want it to be someone who literally cannot be a cheap clone. As cool as a Impa based on Hyrule Warriors would be, it's also entirely possible she'll simply end up being a Sheik clone. Pig Ganon is great, too....but there's also that potential for him to be a Dedede clone with edited animations and attacks. Same with Tetra and Sheik.
Ghirahim would be nice, but I don't know how likely he is for this game now that he's an AT. And the less said about Tingle, the better. :p

Frankly, I think that Zelda is well represented with just Zelda, Link and Ganondorf...well, thematically, at least. If we got an original Pig Ganon, that'd be all I would ever need of Zelda's characters in Smash. Represent the core of the franchise with the Triforce, but don't add too many auxiliary characters.

I kind of want DLC that gives love to franchises that really deserve more than what they have mostly. It's why I continue to support Ridley, despite all odds; I want to see my favorite Nintendo franchise see more playable characters than just Samus. That's why I want King K. Rool or Dixie, too; DKC is one of my most loved platformers, and I want to see it given more characters than just DK and Diddy. I want characters I loved in other Smash games to come back, and I want others to get those characters they love, too; which is why I'm so adamant about wanting Wolf back, even if he's not priority, and why I'd love to get Waluigi in the game.

But Zelda is really only about three core characters; Zelda, Link and Ganon(dorf), so what we have works mostly..except we need a Ganon that actually plays like Ganon and not Captain Falcon. Just like how Metroid is mostly about Samus' attempts to avenge her parents by destroying Ridley and how DKC is mostly about DK taking his banana hoard back from King K. Rool.
*Ganon as Dedede clone
What the actual **** man?! Dedede=Hammer. Ganon=Trident with magic. That couldn't work. HW shows Tetra with pirate stuff too, not to mention HW also gives Impa a Naginata, a sword that hasn't been used in Smash yet, and would be cool to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom