• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That awkward moment when you were going to say "then it was a bad joke" but you feel too mean saying that so you're left with awkward feelings.

Let's talk about Chibi Robo!

1. Do you think he has a chance?
2. Do you think his series is notable enough?
3. Do you think he'd be unique? How so?
4. Do you think he'd be fun?
5. What stage would he have?
6. Music tracks?
7. Think he has enough popularity for the ballot?
8. Chance for future smash games?
1. If not now then next time.
2. Yes. (Especially if we don't get any new series.)
3. Yes. He would have the longest range out of all the short characters due to his long tail. He could also have some interesting moves, such as scrubbing the floor with a toothbrush to make opponents trip.
4. Yes.
5. Probably a transforming stage that goes to the various places in the house Chibi-Robo is in. (Maybe even a couple scenes from the park.)
6. Uuuuuuuuuuuuh...I've never actually played a Chibi-Robo game so I dunno on that one. (Literally the only song I'm familiar with is Zip Lash's main theme.)
7. I don't think he is up there with King K. Rool, but I do think most people like him.
8. I think I answered that in question one. (I'm an overachiever! Yay! OK not really)

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad

6. Music tracks?
1. Yes, but he's better off being a vanilla fighter in the next Smash iteration than a paid DLC fighter.
2. We have Xenoblade Chronicles here, so, sure.
3. All the things he could do with his plug and other tools plus what the Smash dev team can make up would be sufficient.
4. I don't think he would be fun for a broad audience, but to me, cleaning up For Glory scrubs with a toothbrush would be something, if not humorously disrespectful.
5. Not sure, but its stage is likely to be one of those stages that transition from scenery to scenery.
6. I don't know.
7. No.
8. Absolutely if its 3DS game, Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash, is any indication.

D

Deleted member

You've yet to give actual reasons for your "doesn't matter", "doesn't matter" statements regarding this, though.
Burden of proof is on you.
I wasn't the one who was claiming Shovel Knight being released last year was a valid counterpoint to my statement about him and Shantae having the same exact odds (which aren't that good), after all.

Give a half-assed counterpoint, expect one in return.

Last edited by a moderator:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
That awkward moment when you were going to say "then it was a bad joke" but you feel too mean saying that so you're left with awkward feelings.

6. Music tracks?
1. No
2. In my mind it is, but I don't know if it is in Sakurai's mind.
3. Yes, swinging plug, could charge up for a limited time, by inserting plug into ground/wall, the many items used in his games (see Smash Flash 2).
4. Absolutely
5. The house from the first game, could work like Isle Delfino.
6. Chibi-Robo! (title theme), Midday Majesty, Night Play, A Maiden's Thoughts, Go! Space Hunter Drake Redcrest, My home is in the Cretaceous, Anchors Away, Funkmaster Flower Training, Glinting Cosmic Mombo, Once Again It's the Drill Sargent for Us Today, The Final Confrontation.
7. No, that's why I don't think he's likely.
8. If he has one more game released between now and the next Smash, I think he'd have a great chance, but you never really know with Sakurai.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I really don't want any more thrid parties. I see this as a Nintendo Fighter first and foremost. Any third parties are guests of honor.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Burden of proof is on you.
I wasn't the one who was claiming Shovel Knight being released last year was a valid counterpoint to my statement about him and Shantae having the same exact odds (which aren't that good), after all.
It's simple. We all know Sakurai's criteria for 3rd parties is really tough. Indie characters don't really have any chance of making it in (I don't think any will). But assuming one were to get in, obviously the ones that better fit Sakurai's criteria are more likely. Shantae, at the very least, is over a decade old and has several games under her belt (=withstands the test of time, closer to the other 3rd parties than last year's boy Shovel Knight.) If Ubisoft was an Indie developer about the size of WayForward, and the Rayman series only consisted of the main installments, Rayman would still be more likely than Shantae and Shovel Knight. Of course there could be some hidden factors that could result in one being picked over the other, but we can only go by what we know.

So yeah, I'd like to hear some arguments as to why Shantae's 10-year seniority and longevity don't matter at all. And please no Snake comparisons that ignore the Kojima factor, the fact that Metal Gear was already a long-established franchise and 3rd parties in Smash being a new concept back then.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

6. Music tracks?
1. The new game certainly gave him an open shot.
2. If Chibi Robo's new game does really well, then it will be a notable series.
3. Yes, very unique in my opinion.
4. Depends.
5. Don't know the Chibi Robo series enough to give a specific thought.
6. Don't know the Chibi Robo series enough to give a specific thought.
7. With decent support he could get considered, but I doubt anything beyond being playable.
8. Depends on how the new game sells.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

6. Music tracks?
1. Reasonably so yes.
2. It's a small series but at least Nintendo still acknowledges it.
3. Yes. He could be considered our first "whip" character and an extremely small fighter would be interesting.
4. Son, he is a tiny robot that fights with a plug and household objects. He emanates fun.
5. The same as Super Smash Flash 2; the bedroom desktop.
6. Chibi-Robo doesn't have many battle-fitting themes from the ones I know, but there is the main theme, Midday Majesty, The Final Confrontation, and a couple others from the original game. Zip Lash will probably have a few fitting songs for Smash though, since it's an action platformer.
(side note: Chib-Robo! music is kinda annoying)
7. No way to know. He doesn't seem to have that much support, sadly.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I really don't want any more thrid parties. I see this as a Nintendo Fighter first and foremost. Any third parties are guests of honor.
I feel that at most we can take one more but it has to reach icon level status, outside of that then no.
This should be focused more on First Party and Nintendo has a lot to work with especially from unrepped franchises like Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Fossil Fighters, Custom Robo and Wonderful 101

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And we will always have more Nintendo characters than third party characters.

SSB5 could have 3 third party newcomers and 17 Nintendo newcomers.

D

Deleted member

It's simple. We all know Sakurai's criteria for 3rd parties is really tough. Indie characters don't really have any chance of making it in (I don't think any will). But assuming one were to get in, obviously the ones that better fit Sakurai's criteria are more likely. Shantae, at the very least, is over a decade old and has several games under her belt (=withstands the test of time, closer to the other 3rd parties than last year's boy Shovel Knight.) If Ubisoft was an Indie developer about the size of WayForward, and the Rayman series only consisted of the main installments, Rayman would still be more likely than Shantae and Shovel Knight. Of course there could be some hidden factors that could result in one being picked over the other, but we can only go by what we know.
All we literally bloody know of Sakurai's "criteria" is that the character has to have appeared on a Nintendo system.

ANYTHING ELSE is just fan speculation, so don't try to use Sakurai as a shield for your faulty reasoning.

So yeah, I'd like to hear some arguments as to why Shantae's 10-year seniority and longevity don't matter at all. And please no Snake comparisons that ignore the Kojima factor, the fact that Metal Gear was already a long-established franchise and 3rd parties in Smash being a new concept back then.
Seniority?
She has ONE ****ing game back in 2002 and only JUST RECENTLY became more than just a cult classic one-hit wonder, and suddenly she's got seniority and longevity?
You seriously overplay her credentials.

How about give me reasons why I should even take your arguments seriously and not just ignore them as fanboyism?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman

6. Music tracks?
FINALLY. This is my time to SHINE.

1. I absolutely do think he has a chance. I have the same gut feelings about him that I had for Villager before he was announced. (I started 2 threads for Villager, one during the pre-brawl days, both got very little support so you can see how excited I was)

2. It definitely is, and Nintendo and Skip Ltd. keep returning to it. Even so much as investing in an Amiibo figure of him (the first established non-major Nintendo franchise to get one)

3. He has to potential to be incredibly unique. He is tiny. He can translate that into Smash by being the shortest and lightest character to date, hard to hit, and can use his plug as a whip and tether. He uses so many power ups and weapons his moveset potential is easy.

4. Very fun. Especially if he was the shortest and lightest character.

5. The stage would HAVE to be the Sanderson's Living Room or even the Kitchen.

Victory Theme!
MAIN THEME
In Broad Daylight

7. That is where I'm saddened to say he doesn't. He has a very small push though, and I'm hoping that push and the Amiibo are enough for Sakurai to take notice of the character, and get that "creativity spark". That is where I think his chance is.

8. I do think he has a better chance for the next game than this one though. But the new release and the Amiibo is making me feel the "now or never" vibe.

Shameless plug to the Chibi-Robo thread!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, we at the Bandana Dee thread thought of something tht's similar to a character from a franchise lots of peeps here like. We had the idea of making him Smash's Vega, his spear could be very powerful but it can get knocked off after a certain percentage in a time span, such as 39 percent in 8 seconds, I dunno. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

6. Music tracks?
1.Maybe.
2.Seeing the fact that Chibi Robo has his own amiibo, i suppose so.
3.Super Smash Flash 2 showed me an interesing take on Chibi Robo.
4.Of course, everyone has it's own tastes, so someone may find Chibi Robo fun.
5.Desk from SSF2 seems like a good idea to me.
6.I have no idea.
7.Personally, it seems below average.
8.Not sure.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
So, we at the Bandana Dee thread thought of something tht's similar to a character from a franchise lots of peeps here like. We had the idea of making him Smash's Vega, his spear could be very powerful but it can get knocked off after a certain percentage in a time span, such as 39 percent in 8 seconds, I dunno. Thoughts?
I don't think Smash wants to put in a stance change character like that and Dee is kinda useless without his spear.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
What does he do after his spear gets knocked out his hands? How's he fight?

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Honestly, DLC has me on edge because three of my most wanted characters are Assist Trophies.

I want them to get enough support to justify Smash 5 inclusion.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I don't think Smash wants to put in a stance change character like that and Dee is kinda useless without his spear.
I actually have an answer, his spear will obviously be powerful in this playstyle, and by removing it, BDee's got very low range, however, similar to Robin, it comes back after a few seconds. BDee can still attack, but would need some altered animations and the moves are overall much weaker

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I actually have an answer, his spear will obviously be powerful in this playstyle, and by removing it, BDee's got very low range, however, similar to Robin, it comes back after a few seconds. BDee can still attack, but would need some altered animations and the moves are overall much weaker
Doesn't sound like something that would be worth the trouble considering it doesn't seem to fit what I've seen from Dee in the Kirby games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Doesn't sound like something that would be worth the trouble considering it doesn't seem to fit what I've seen from Dee in the Kirby games.
I don't exactly see DHD flinging cans ans clay pigeons around in Duck Hunt.
Couldn't Dee just fight like Kirby without a spear?
Actually, that's giving me Ryu thoughts as he has the most regular attacks. I guess he could, but obviously with a different moveset

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
All we literally bloody know of Sakurai's "criteria" is that the character has to have appeared on a Nintendo system.

ANYTHING ELSE is just fan speculation, so don't try to use Sakurai as a shield for your faulty reasoning.

Seniority?
She has ONE ****ing game back in 2002 and only JUST RECENTLY became more than just a cult classic one-hit wonder, and suddenly she's got seniority and longevity?
You seriously overplay her credentials.

How about give me reasons why I should even take your arguments seriously and not just ignore them as fanboyism?
Well, if you don't even agree to the generally accepted thought that Sakurai has standards when it comes to 3rd party characters, then it's pointless to argue. If I'm "overplaying" her credentials, then you're not acknowledging them at all.

And since you seem to be getting needlessly angrier with every message and now resort to the good ol' "fanboy" ad hominem, I think I'll just drop this.

D

Deleted member

With his Lazer Bazooka of Death and Moustache of course:
U4kCG3U.png

(the image is not mine)
Tough in all seriousness, i think the "Vega Claw" idea is just too complicated.

D

Deleted member

What about Metal Greymon vs Ridley? :awesome:

......Oh wait......:(.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I don't exactly see DHD flinging cans ans clay pigeons around in Duck Hunt.

Actually, that's giving me Ryu thoughts as he has the most regular attacks. I guess he could, but obviously with a different moveset
Yeah but it's something that fits him as the Light Gun rep.

People want Dee because a spear user would be unique, not for a forced gimmick that takes that away and renders the character useless.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Yeah but it's something that fits him as the Light Gun rep.

People want Dee because a spear user would be unique, not for a forced gimmick that takes that away and renders the character useless.
Thing is, this is only an idea we literally just thought off as someone wanted to make him more different than Marth, not to mention people wanted Little Mac and we were discussing how this would be good and how it'd be bad, Wintropy also explained some flaws as she has more knowledge on Vega from what she wrote

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Gameplay is not the end-all, be-all and should not be viewed as such. A sizable chunk of players, myself included, don't get hyped over the prospect of Smash newcomers because "OMG I can go to tournaments and use XYZ new moves to win money matches in new ways!" At the end of the day, it's still fundamentally "hit foe until foe dies." No, fans get hyped because they want to take a favorite character and play with them in what is essentially a massive Nintendo-themed sandbox, unlike any other.

How many character threads nowadays can you enter and see people say "I don't care if so and so is bottom tier or not super unique, just having them in the game would make me so happy"? Does anyone really think Mewtwo became the game's most requested because of his Melee gameplay? Of course, we all want to believe that our favorite characters can use the ideas we brainstorm for them or can get the publicity that tournament wins can provide. But those are simply small bonuses in a game that, at its core, has always been about Nintendo's series crossing over, and that would have withered and died had it remained Dragon King, the fighting game with Smash's gameplay and faceless wireframes as characters.

I'm getting tired of seeing all the competitive gameplay complaints in the world get blanket acceptance, but anything relating to the roster dismissed as whiny/entitled/buzzwords or as a casual distraction. Just because Sakurai has lowered the bar for newcomer importance in favor of moveset gimmicks doesn't mean we have to agree and modify our desires accordingly.
I'm assuming this is in response to my post.

Here's the thing...I didn't once say you couldn't like a character. What I was getting at, was that too many users just use one thing and use it to back everything up. You can want a character for whatever reasons, but if you want to get others interested, there has to be a draw. Just liking something isn't going to cut it.

Gameplay IS important. As a huge Smash fan, characters with bad movesets make me sad. I love pretty much every character on the roster, because they're fairly different OR...I also just like the character.

For example, I would like to see K.Rool. If K.Rool gets in, then I, as well as many other people would be super happy. However, if his moveset sucks, I would probably hardly play the character or have interest.

Furthermore, not every character is added simply because of any one reason. Some characters, however, are added with gameplay in mind. Robin is an example of this. Chrom was a big character, but the gameplay is what kept him out.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Thing is, this is only an idea we literally just thought off as someone wanted to make him more different than Marth, not to mention people wanted Little Mac and we were discussing how this would be good and how it'd be bad, Wintropy also explained some flaws as she has more knowledge on Vega from what she wrote
Well I'll explain my counter argument then.

With Robin the weapon breakability makes sense because it's a part of his game, not to mention that Fire Emblem is traditionally a tactical strategy RPG so a gimmick that makes Robin players do just that, tactical strategy, is a perfect match.

With Dee, the Kirby series generally never sees his weapon break due to usage or damage to Dee himself. His games are masvot platformers with an emphasis on being all-accessible but difficult to 100%. I figure that simply having him as a spear wielded would suffice to both make him unique and easy to play but challenging to master, if done right, which it would be.

D

Deleted member

Well, if you don't even agree to the generally accepted thought that Sakurai has standards when it comes to 3rd party characters, then it's pointless to argue. If I'm "overplaying" her credentials, then you're not acknowledging them at all.

And since you seem to be getting needlessly angrier with every message and now resort to the good ol' "fanboy" ad hominem, I think I'll just drop this.
Standards that don't include "had a cult classic game in 2002 then sitting idle until just a few years ago with no Japan releases except on Steam for one game".

So yeah, it'd be better for you to just drop it, as refusing to see that Shantae isn't any closer to the proposed "standards" than Shovel Knight and trying to argue flawed points as to why she is is being a fanboy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Well I'll explain my counter argument then.

With Robin the weapon breakability makes sense because it's a part of his game, not to mention that Fire Emblem is traditionally a tactical strategy RPG so a gimmick that makes Robin players do just that, tactical strategy, is a perfect match.

With Dee, the Kirby series generally never sees his weapon break due to usage or damage to Dee himself. His games are masvot platformers with an emphasis on being all-accessible but difficult to 100%. I figure that simply having him as a spear wielded would suffice to both make him unique and easy to play but challenging to master, if done right, which it would be.
I understand exactly what you mean, but Smash tends to deviate from stuff and Sakurai has said being unique's very important. FYI My BDee moveset has no gimmick

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I understand exactly what you mean, but Smash tends to deviate from stuff and Sakurai has said being unique's very important. FYI My BDee moveset has no gimmick
The weapon break idea is a gimmick and the only part of the set I objected to for that matter.

Last edited:

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302

6. Music tracks?
1. Yes, In future smash games.
2. Yes, I believe the Chibi Robo series is notable?
3. Yes, He can use his plug as a whip and tether.
4. Hell Yeah
5. Living Room
6. Drake Redcrest Theme!!! :p
7. No :(
8. I do think he has a better chance for the next game than this one though.
KPP;.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I come back to...
Something about Bandana Dee having a Spear Break gimmick. (That would be fine as long as he could also use Starlight Kick)

People still arguing on weather or not Shantae is good enough to get in the game. In my opinion, if she brings something new to the game, then good. If she gets in, and doesn't, then oh well. (Though this is coming from the person who wants Pichu and Young Link back, and doesn't want Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit to leave.)

The popular opinion that only iconic 3rd fighters have the right to join in kinda bugs me. If a character could bring something really cool and new to the game, then why not add the character? (sighs) I think I've done this song and dance before.

Speaking of third parties, I love how Black Mage is rarely brought up...Ok irrelevant jokes aside, why is Black Mage not really talked about here?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The popular opinion that only iconic 3rd fighters have the right to join in kinda bugs me. If a character could bring something really cool and new to the game, then why not add the character? (sighs) I think I've done this song and dance before.
Its popular because that's what Sakurai has outright said in the past (not just "ANY" character will be added), and because he's kept up that trend (only EXTREMELY iconic third-party fighters have been made for Smash).

Its not just something the fanbase made up. Sakurai himself has stated this, and has kept up his track record as well.

That doesn't mean lesser third-parties can't make it, but we have to be realistic about suggestions and speculation. At this point in time anything less than an extremely iconic third-party character is completely and totally unrealistic, period, end of story. There's nothing to debate here.

Having an obscure first-party character is a totally different scenario from having an obscure third-party character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom