• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's Last Round Up. Dillon the AT (In glorious HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Excellent looking AT - super detailed. Just like in Brawl I believe there will be a handful of ATs that will gain a fan following from this game. Pretty confident Dillon will be one of them.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, I kinda saw this coming, but at least Dillon gets to be an awesome looking Assist Trophy.

May luck be with you next time, guys.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I love this character's design, haven't played the game but boy it is hard to deny that Dillon was designed by some solid artists.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Dillon sure looks good, far better than the other Assist Trophies.

He almost looks good enough to be playable. (What if he's an Assist Trophy and playable?)

I'm glad Dillon got some representation.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I honestly get the idea Sakurai is simply trolling us and Dillon actually IS playable, he just looks THAT good. ( Of course that's not true, but damnit I really wanted Dillon playable! :cry: )

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Welp, I kinda figured that Dillon would wind up as an assist trophy. Sorry guys, but at least he looks awesome, and once modding becomes a big part of this game.....;).

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I honestly get the idea Sakurai is simply trolling us and Dillon actually IS playable, he just looks THAT good. ( Of course that's not true, but damnit I really wanted Dillon playable! :cry: )
This would be very mean but still I would be so happy if you were right. However as for now, I consider him as an assist trophy. If Sakurai were to show is trolling skills, then so let it be that way. At least this would give us a positive surprise^^

It's really interesting to see how many people actually liked the idea of Dillon being playable and even to see how many people would have been fine with him being playable after seeing the PotD.

Btw: Is there any other assist trophy where Sakurai also has shown the normal trophy when showing the assist trophy on stage? I can't think of a similar one. Until now it was either the trophy with a piece of information saying the character is an assist trophy or showing the assist trophy in action on stage.

The HD model of Dillon also really increases my hopes for a WiiU game with Dillon. I can't wait to see a DRW game on WiiU. It would make perfect sense as in terms of gameplay DRW fits perfectly on the Wii U.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I hope Dillon can secure a full-on boxed release game between now and the next SSB. If that happens, he could well be one of the frontrunners for new additions.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree. Dillon as a character draws popularity in (because he's just awesome), so all he needs is proper, notable exposure and he'd be a solid candidate in the future.

Getting an AT this time around was really the most people should've had their expectations set on. Good thing he looks amazing. ;)

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I've noticed a few members here have Dillion the armadillo as their avatars. I've created transparent versions of those in-case anyone wants to use them. Maybe they suck. You don't have to feel obligated, of course. ;)

PNG 4 LIFE. :reverse:

Full Model -

Perfect Square -

- Full Model

- Perfect Square

If this th-o
ops font. Thread is breaking rules, then lock/permaban/delete/Final Smash me, etc.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This may be locked, but I'm adding Dillon to my sig right now.

Sorry Villager, you gotta move away.

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I did a thread merge over locking the Dillon avatar thread, though the Mario avatars don't belong here.
I was just comparing the two Mario poses with Dillon's. The hat tip and the Ready to get messy pose.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Aw, AT Dillon, that's a shame. He seemed like a more likely choice for a new character, but alas it wasn't meant to be. But at least his model looks absolutely fantastic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sorry guys. The thing that probably screwed him over was the fact that his games were only for the e-shop. Being an AT is still a notable appearance and will definitely help his chances for next time.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Nooooooooo!

That was my thought when I saw the picture, haha. I'm better overall about it, but I still can't help but feel sad that he got deconfirmed. But that he got in at all is awesome, and while I'll probably be reminded every so often at first about what could have been when I see him in-game, but here's to hoping fan interest leads to him being an official character, perhaps even as DLC for SM4SH, if his highly-detailed AT model and Sakurai's comments possibly indicate that he was in planning as a playable character before becoming an AT.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Well it's shame he did not join the fight as a playable character, but at least this means Nintendo is acknowledging his series and hopefully he will gain popularity and a new Rolling Western game will come to Wii U.

(Also model looks stunning)

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Aw man. Well, we had a good run. The model looks so gorgeous. Showing us the assist and the trophy at the same time is something we hadn't gotten before. Makes me, and others, wonder if he was planning to be playable at some point. He'll be first on my list for the next game or DLC.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Good bye Dillon. That model though is fantastic though. I hope his appearance here helps him get more popularity, like Saki. He's a really cool character and his games deserve more attention.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
We should also think about one important point: Why is Dillon an Assist Trophy and not a playable character? Has it anything to do with the fact he only appears in eShop games and has no retail game yet? The number of games can't be an argument as Olimar also only had 2 games when joining the Brawl roster. Still, no need to be sad. Dillon is a cool character and he at least got a character model that great.
No, I don't think it's that. I think it's because it's such a new series. The first game only came out in 2012.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think they should make a spin off title, no pun intended, of Dillon's series where it's more action oriented.

Instead of random battles when he rolls into an enemy he can just use the combos and attack them straight away.

Also, more of a platform elements

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dillon not being playable is probably due to a mix of being from a small series, only ever getting lukewarm reception and relatively minor exposure, and his series debuting the same year Sakurai was compiling the roster.

Well Greninja is in and he's only a few months old
First, he's from an existing series, and second, he was likely included partially for promotional purposes. It is GF after all.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How old does a series need to be before it can get a playable character in Smash anyway? Pokemon was only 3 years old before it got two characters in the original Smash if I recall correctly.

Dillon's series is now about 2 years old I think...

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Dillon not being playable is probably due to a mix of being from a small series, only ever getting lukewarm reception and relatively minor exposure, and his series debuting the same year Sakurai was compiling the roster.

First, he's from an existing series, and second, he was likely included partially for promotional purposes. It is GF after all.
Well yeah, but he's from an old established series.
I guess, but still, time since releases probably isn't the reason. It's probably because of his eshop and lesser known status as many have pointed out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's no real age restriction, it's just that the longer a series exists, the more time it would theoretically have to flourish. Dillon's was barely existent when Sakurai was likely adding the new series this time around, and wasn't, and still isn't, a particularly notable series anyway - so it wouldn't be like... Pokemon, or even Xenoblade, which exploded (to varying degrees) shortly after they released.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well Sakurai at least thought that Dillon was notable enough to receive an Assist Trophy so that's really good for now. Even if he isn't playable, his series has gotten some more exposure now so if he gets any new games in the future and a bigger fanbase, it might bode better for him.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Personally I think Dillon was a perfect AT choice. I'd have liked him as a playable character of course, but seeing him at all, and with such a good model too, is a great thing too.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'm just afraid Dillon will be an AT...
SAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIII!!!!!!!
Ah well. There goes one of the three characters that I really, really wanted. At least his model is downright amazing.

R.I.P. Amigo. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
How old does a series need to be before it can get a playable character in Smash anyway? Pokemon was only 3 years old before it got two characters in the original Smash if I recall correctly.

Dillon's series is now about 2 years old I think...
It is not based on "how old" a franchise. What Dillon needs is new games in the future with some more exposure or he will likely face the same fate as Saki and Starfy did this game (and of course a larger fanbase). I supported Dillon though I didn't drop by in this particular thread very often but I realistically thought this was the best he could have achieved this game so I'm pretty happy. And that model...so awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if Mallo faces the same fate even though his series is more successful.

EDIT: Well unless of course the series in question came out after Sakurai finalized the roster.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It is not based on "how old" a franchise. What Dillon needs is new games in the future with some more exposure or he will likely face the same fate as Saki and Starfy did this game (and of course a larger fanbase). I supported Dillon though I didn't drop by in this particular thread very often but I realistically thought this was the best he could have achieved this game so I'm pretty happy. And that model...so awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if Mallo faces the same fate even though his series is more successful.
Yeah that's what I kinda said in my other post.

To be fair though, I think Saki and Starfy's series did get another game between Brawl and Smash 4 but from the looks of things, that wasn't enough either for their series to receive playable representation.

Mallo might also become an Assist Trophy yeah, but I guess both him and Dillon could benefit to some more exposure to a larger audience that Smash can provide.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman

To be fair though, I think Saki and Starfy's series did get another game between Brawl and Smash 4 but from the looks of things, that wasn't enough either for their series to receive playable representation.

Mallo might also become an Assist Trophy yeah, but I guess both could benefit to some more exposure to a larger audience that Smash can provide.
Well actually, Starfy's last game released in 2008/2009 which is quite some time ago. Star Successor is newer (2009) but was hardly successful which I think may be something Sakurai looks into. Starfy's 1st 4 games weren't even released over here...so yeah. There is certainly more than what I said that could contribute but I think "game drought" or absence of games could be one of the issues for a "new series" to get into Smash.

EDIT: Better example would be someone like Ray MK and though not disconfirmed yet considering the fact the series hasn't had a game since 2007 I feel his chances may be slim.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Mallo might also become an Assist Trophy yeah, but I guess both him and Dillon could benefit to some more exposure to a larger audience that Smash can provide.
Assuming we're thinking of the same Mallo, he's owned by Square Enix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom