• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to see I'm not the only person who though that Diddy Kong was at one point was planned to be a Melee character due to his really weird absence, but could anybody provide links as to where Balloon Fight guy and Mach Rider were supposedly planned? Just something I wasn't aware of earlier.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Muffin_man said:
It's nice to see I'm not the only person who though that Diddy Kong was at one point was planned to be a Melee character due to his really weird absence, but could anybody provide links as to where Balloon Fight guy and Mach Rider were supposedly planned? Just something I wasn't aware of earlier.
Mach Rider I never heard of being planned.

Although it's possible, seeing as how there was a Mach Rider song on Big Blue. Same with the Balloon Fighter Song on Ice Mountain, and the Flippers.

Ballon Fighter though was definetly planned for Smash. I've been looking for the article for a long time and can't find it but I KNOW it exists. Balloon Fighter was in the original prototype for Melee but was replaced by Ice Climbers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoa whoa whoa this topic goes like crack! :D
Its good to hear that a vet on this forum supports Diddy as much as me and xianfeng does. Btw I see you all are confused who is me and who is xianfeng, Ill change my avie and siggy after this post.

And Vaztor good thinking about Diddy in Melee. I always found it strange that he was ignored so much in Melee, it makes alot more sence now. Perhaps Baloon Fighter and Diddy didn't made the cut in Melee because of the last minute additions (the clones) and Roy and Marth? Since I read somewhere that Roy and Marth wherent supposed to be in the PAL and the American versions this could be true.

GenG

Smash Lord
Vaztor said:
Ballon Fighter though was definetly planned for Smash. I've been looking for the article for a long time and can't find it but I KNOW it exists. Balloon Fighter was in the original prototype for Melee but was replaced by Ice Climbers.
I got something related to that. Take a look. And there were rumors about Balloon Fighter being selectable in the beta stage development of the game.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well as I said Ballon Fighter was an EARLY suggestion. He was removed from the game and replaced with Ice Climbers, so his disappearance is due to change in development. If anything Diddy was planned, but never made it into development.

I don't know about Marth, but I DO know that Roy's main reason for being in Melee was to advertise the new Fire Emblem game. As for clones in general im 90% positive they were due to lack of production time.

Also thanks for that GenG, that article was something I found in my search, but Im positive there was an interview where SOMEBODY stated that Balloon Fighter was in the original Melee Prototype and was replaced by Ice Climbers. It seems to have vanished into thin air >_>

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I think Marth was put in because he was the first Fire Emblem lord, and he had two games instead of one like all the other FE games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yup that would be true, but because Fire Emblem wasn't known outside Japan they considered taking them out of the American and Europian version of Melee. Still with the remake of Diddy Kong Racing and alot of new upcoming DK games its almost safe to asume Diddy will be in Brawl.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
maybe Marth was only supposed to be for the japanese versions and Diddy was supposed to be for the PAL / American versions >_>

Diddy is confirmed to be playable in Donkey Kong Bongo Blast, DK: King of Swing 2, Diddy Kong Racing DS and it's assumed he'll be in Jungle Fever and he'll proberly be in mario hoops 3 on 3 and heaps of future mario / kart / maybe party games.

So another place to put Diddy would be in Brawl

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yes and Diddy isn't obscure either and he has a unique moveset so he seems a good character to put in Brawl.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey on another topic... why didnt you guys like Donkey Konga? or Jungle Beat?

Of course they weren't as good as DKC, but they were still decent games.

The only problem I saw was the lack of video game songs in the Konga Games. But otherwise they were well put together games.

Although Diddy shoulda been in Jungle Beat... :D

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I didn't like Jungle beat because they replaced rambi with that stupid warthog thing, they gave DK stupid facial expressions, it had no other kongs and the controllers sure they were innovative but they were annoying as hell

I didn't like the Donkey Konga games because they made Donkey Kong play bongos in a stupid way, the moronic facial expressions returned, the game was just plain stupid I don't even count that spin off series as part of the DK Universe

I have Diddy's part of the DK rap stuck in my head now...

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
So the main part of the reason you hate those games is because of DK's facial expression..

-_-

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Vaztor said:
So the main part of the reason you hate those games is because of DK's facial expression..

-_-
I know it's pety but I'm a perfectionist of sorts

He's back again and about time to
this time he's in the mood
he can fly real high with his jetpack on
with his pitols out he's one tough kong!
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune
but kremlings beware
'cause he's after you!

AndoryuuChaos

Smash Cadet
Gamingboy said:
If I remember correctly, DK Jr. is DK, the DK from the original Donkey Kong arcade games is Cranky Kong (I mean, he is always talking about how he was able to do things without advanced graphics and such).
That's what i heard and the reason he's "Cranky" is supposedly because he got whooped by a plumber with a red hat. LoL. I could be wrong though.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
AndoryuuChaos said:
That's what i heard and the reason he's "Cranky" is supposedly because he got whooped by a plumber with a red hat. LoL. I could be wrong though.
Yea thats right XD

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
This is why I'll never forgive Nintendo for what they did to DK

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=420

They interviewed the creators of Jungle Beat

Q: Tell us about the characters.

Koizumi: All the characters outside of Donkey Kong and the banana are completely original. We don't really feel the past look of Donkey Kong was fresh enough for today. We really gave our new development team the chance to really create something unique and stylish.
This is coming from the same people who kept Mario characters around for over twenty years. (Not dissing Mario characters) They thought the DKC characters weren't fresh enough. That's why I'm worried about Diddy not making it in Brawl. They basically didn't respect what Rareware did for them for over 9 years.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
GreenKirby said:
This is why I'll never forgive Nintendo for what they did to DK

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=420

They interviewed the creators of Jungle Beat

This is coming from the same people who kept Mario characters around for over twenty years. (Not dissing Mario characters) They thought the DKC characters weren't fresh enough. That's why I'm worried about Diddy not making it in Brawl. They basically didn't respect what Rareware did for them for over 9 years.
I want to shoot the creators of JB now and if they ever make another game let's pray it sells poorly

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
...they said that...

*Throws up*

Even still, Diddy isn't gone

Look at Donkey Konga 2. All the characters were there. Diddy, Dixie. etc.

Don't worry about it :D

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dont mind a moveset. Ive made up one, you can read it on the front page. Still your open to suggest what could change about it. :)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
gonna post dat moveset in the charecter moveset thread? link to it is in my sig.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ive already posted it there. I believe its somewhere on the 3th or 4th page? Anyways I posted another moveset about Diddy and Dixie in a duo. Should be somewhere around page 10.

Majora731

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I would like Diddy in Brawl, I'm sure one of his attacks would be his cartwheel.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Majora731 said:
Yeah, I would like Diddy in Brawl, I'm sure one of his attacks would be his cartwheel.
On the moveset on page one it's his smash A, I think it's there because it would be hard to use for one of his B moves

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Etra said:
Diddy Kong would be OK. But he would probably be a clone of DK, and Nintendo needs to get away from the clone stuff. lol
1 - He wouldn't be a clone, since they're either getting rid of characters or giving them new movesets

2 - He wouldn't be a clone, since he's so much smaller and DK's power moves wouldn't be appropriate.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if its bin brought up, but I bought a SSBM skin for my cube a while back and on it, it had Wario and Diddy who were not in the gam. I think the skin was hinting those 2 characters, so I already welcome Diddy to Brawl... Toad was on it too but I think thats just cause of Peach.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Wolfblade said:
I'm not sure if its bin brought up, but I bought a SSBM skin for my cube a while back and on it, it had Wario and Diddy who were not in the gam. I think the skin was hinting those 2 characters, so I already welcome Diddy to Brawl... Toad was on it too but I think thats just cause of Peach.
thank you for telling me that so much you have raised my belif that he is already in Brawl :)

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Wolfblade said:
Wolfblade, do you think you be able send a picture? It's not that don' trust you, I just want to know what Diddy and Wario (pre WarioWare) would like Smash Bros style

Rash

Smash Ace
More DK characters are necessary for the balance of franchises. Diddy's first in line, so he should be put in indefinitely.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Hey, what about Chunky Kong from DK64? I'm still for Diddy but it would be cool to have Chunky in since he's really strong and a good fighter.

killa keil

Smash Cadet
Im for Diddy Kong but he would have to have a complete different moveset conciderding he is much more quicker and nimble then Dk. But the two characters are almost to alike. It might be better if the put the villan of the Donkey Series instead.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
primusfan said:
Hey, what about Chunky Kong from DK64? I'm still for Diddy but it would be cool to have Chunky in since he's really strong and a good fighter.
HELL NO! The only thing worse than that is Tiny, he was only playable in one game, there's only three characters form DK who should be in. In order, it is Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie.

killa keil said:
Im for Diddy Kong but he would have to have a complete different moveset conciderding he is much more quicker and nimble then Dk. But the two characters are almost to alike. It might be better if the put the villan of the Donkey Series instead.
How is he to much like DK? DK is a giant gorilla, Diddy is a small chimp, Diddy is way to weak and small to pull off any of DK's current moves, if you still think he'd be a clone, look at the front page, I could think of original moves right now

b-Peanut popguns-
b>-cartwheel
bup-Jetpack
bdown-orange grenade

There, original moves easily enough, I think a team of over fifty people could think of original moves.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
The Cartwheel should be his running A attack. (In fact, DK should ditch that foot thrust and use his roll as his running A attack too. A lot of his moves are just made up.) The Chimpy Charge move from DK64 should be his Forward + B move since you're pulling moves from that game.

In fact, since you're drawing moves from DK64, I'd like to point out that you just skipped one of Diddy's big ones from that game: The Guitar Gazzump! It could work as his Down+A SMASH move but it'll probablywork better if it were his Super Move instead.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I wasn't really just trying to draw moves from one game, i was trying to make a point that he'd be original, but I think the guitar would probably work better as a super, but you're right about the chimp charge thing

xianfeng

Smash Hero
killa keil said:
Play a DK game any DK game, DK and Diddy are nothing alike in fighting style, KRool should be in after Diddy

Top Bottom