• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Muffin_man said:
Most DKC fans don't even really like the DKC TV show anyway as it was poorly written, the character models were horrendous and they constantly broke into song.

If/ when Diddy appears in Brawl, do you think he'll still have his peanut guns? 'Cause Snake had to give up his guns, (though that's sort of an unfair comparison), so I guess some Metal Gear fans would complain about Diddy not having to give up his. Not that I'd want him to, just an observment.
Snake had to give up his guns because their realistic, Diddy's guns are far from realistic

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Whaaaaaaaaaatt?? The DKC series was the funniest thing ever! I would die of happiness if I could find some old episodes, but they're too hard to find...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Krytha said:
Whaaaaaaaaaatt?? The DKC series was the funniest thing ever! I would die of happiness if I could find some old episodes, but they're too hard to find...
the DKC tv series was more of an embarrsment to the DK game series than Donkey Konga

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I liked the DKC cartoons myself, but that might be just because I grew up with the Super Mario Super Show, the Legend of Zelda cartoon, and Captain N: The Game Master... What can I say? I was raised by Nintendo...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lord_Deathborne said:
I liked the DKC cartoons myself, but that might be just because I grew up with the Super Mario Super Show, the Legend of Zelda cartoon, and Captain N: The Game Master... What can I say? I was raised by Nintendo...
I'm 13 and australian i only saw the legend of zelda and Super Mario thing n ABC when i was 4 or 5 and a couple of episodes of the DKC show from an old dvd

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
See, I liked the original Mario cartoons and Zelda cartoons, but they were actually enjoyable and funny, while DKC was just bleh in almost every shape and form. They really would've just been better off doing a normal cartoon instead of (poor) 3D animation to fit the mood of the games.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
DKC wasn't a cartoon... it was an CG show... and because you're 13, I will chalk your disdain for the series up to youth and foolishness. DKC was pure brilliance!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Muffin_man said:
See, I liked the original Mario cartoons and Zelda cartoons, but they were actually enjoyable and funny, while DKC was just bleh in almost every shape and form. They really would've just been better off doing a normal cartoon instead of (poor) 3D animation to fit the mood of the games.
DKC's 3D animation was fairly cutting edge for its day (mid-1990's). Infact, it looked a bit better than other 3D animated series of the time like Reboot and Transformers: Beastwars, though I'll admit DKC could hardly hold up to those classics...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Krytha said:
DKC wasn't a cartoon... it was an CG show... and because you're 13, I will chalk your disdain for the series up to youth and foolishness. DKC was pure brilliance!
the character models were horrendous they looked like ducks, dixie was hardly recognisable, candy looked like a lesbian and they broke out into song almost every episode and it almost made me hate diddy a little but i just played dkc2 and remembered why i love hime in a non gay way

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
xianfeng said:
the character models were horrendous they looked like ducks, dixie was hardly recognisable, candy looked like a lesbian and they broke out into song almost every episode and it almost made me hate diddy a little but i just played dkc2 and remembered why i love hime in a non gay way
:laugh: Candy was... odd... to say the least. But cartoons back in those days were pretty much never acurate... Just look at the characters in Captain N, especially Simon Belmont and Mega Man - radical departures from their official looks (still, looked better than most of the boxart atleast - anyone remember the original Mega Man boxart? :eek: ). The Mario cartoons were probably the most accurate potrayals, with only the colors being slightly off (Peach... er... Princess Toadstool was a red-head, for one).

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lord_Deathborne said:
:laugh: Candy was... odd... to say the least. But cartoons back in those days were pretty much never acurate... Just look at the characters in Captain N, especially Simon Belmont and Mega Man - radical departures from their official looks (still, looked better than most of the boxart atleast - anyone remember the original Mega Man boxart? :eek: ). The Mario cartoons were probably the most accurate potrayals, with only the colors being slightly off (Peach... er... Princess Toadstool was a red-head, for one).
candy is supposed to be sexy and flirty not a bimbo lesbian how could the stuff up that bad

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Even if you look back at the show and compare it to modern productions (which isn't an accurate way to compare things anyway), you cannot deny that Cranky Kong was the best guy in the universe. Every single episode he would smack DK with his cane. It was great!

Oh and learn some appreciation for musicals. Ever heard of South Park? Trey Parker was a music theatre (yes, singing and dancing) major before he dropped out - which is why they all sing in the episodes (which are funny as hell).

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Trey Parker was in music theatre? I guess that explains the movie (Cartman's was the best IMO)

Concerning the DKC show, I remember that I loved it and watched it every chance I got, but it got cancelled. (Idea, Captain Scurvy for brawl!...stop looking at me like that)

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Iggy K said:
Concerning the DKC show, I remember that I loved it and watched it every chance I got, but it got cancelled. (Idea, Captain Scurvy for brawl!...stop looking at me like that)
QFTTTTTTTTTTT

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Krytha said:
Even if you look back at the show and compare it to modern productions (which isn't an accurate way to compare things anyway), you cannot deny that Cranky Kong was the best guy in the universe. Every single episode he would smack DK with his cane. It was great!

Oh and learn some appreciation for musicals. Ever heard of South Park? Trey Parker was a music theatre (yes, singing and dancing) major before he dropped out - which is why they all sing in the episodes (which are funny as hell).
Difference being south park is funny and the DK tv show was the most innacurate cartoon i have ever seen unless funky has tan fur, Candy is a lesbian Bimbo, Diddy is a duck, Dixie is a girly girl with tan fur and Tiny's shirt and the kong family sing but I may have missed those small details. DKC TV Show was worse then the LoZ cartoons and worse than sailor moon and worse then pokemon

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yeah Diddy Kong would be a good addition, especially after seeing all his weapons and his acrobatics in DK64.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And now ladies and gentlemen its time for the "Mr. Stupid Comments Show"! Today we have G.Fizzle with his comment:

G.Fizzle said:
Diddy is to Donkey Kong what Pichu is to Pikachu, just another worthless charactor
Not only your completly wrong, but you dont even explain WHY you think that way.
DK and Diddy are like NOTHING alike. You see the lil monkey pull out a Gaint Punch? Hell no! Just don't post if you don't know anyhting about the character at all just to raise your postcount.

And btw, you are to your mother as Micheal Jackson is with childeren. =)

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I love this show, I have every episode!

Play DK64 G.Fizzle and then you'll see how well Diddy can be implemented into Brawl.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
G.Fizzle said:
Okay I was quick to just express a random opinion that I thought, if Diddy is not like Pichu and has his own individual techniques and strenghts then I suppose he would be an okay character to put in.
Ok he is the most popular nintendo character not in the Super Smash Brothers series even if they remove Pichu and Doc he would still be the most popular nintendo character not included, He has a moveset with peanut poguns, orange grenades, headbuts and jetpacks, some great moves people.

SereneShadows

Smash Rookie
I'd be so pissed if Diddy didn't make it.

I'm a bit of a DK user now (I realised he has potential, and I just love to use him to punish noobs :laugh: ), and Diddy would fuel the fire of my use of the DK series all the more.

Heh, I'd love him, and I'd be soooo mad if he wasn't in.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Etra said:
Gogo assumption power? I've played every Donkey Kong game from the SNES on. (Yes, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, etc.) So, I feel I'm pretty knowledgable about what Diddy can do.

I still feel he would be a clone. That's my opinion. Take it or leave it.
I'll leave it because you clearly know nothing about Diddy

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Am I'm the only one who's worried that Diddy Kong might not make it in? Nintendo didn't think highly of DKC series. I'm worried they might not put Diddy Kong just because Rareware created him.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
GreenKirby said:
Am I'm the only one who's worried that Diddy Kong might not make it in? Nintendo didn't think highly of DKC series. I'm worried they might not put Diddy Kong just because Rareware created him.
Nintendo owns him though and they are continuing on his spinoff series (Diddy Kong Racing) so I wouldn't be worried

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
hmm.... I would just like to say that you should edit the desciption on his dash attack. In addition to the cartwheel, he has to make the WUP-PA!!! noise. lol

im like 100% diddy's gonna be in this game.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
xianfeng, Diddy Kong is currently my Number 1 on the list of most wanted characters in Brawl. I dunno much I can contribute to this topic but I think I deserve a Super Diddy Fan ranking. :D

Well actually I do know one thing I can contribute. I have a theory that Diddy Kong was originally slated to appear in Melee. Why do I think this? Well, have you ever noticed that Diddy Kong is virtually ignored completely in Melee? The chimp doesn't even have a trophy! Hell Dixie Kong has a trophy, and Diddy is MENTIONED on that trophy. The only other mention Diddy gets in the game is in the DK Rap. Ridiculous? Yes. I mean come on Dr. Mario's PILLS have a trophy before Diddy Kong? Thats absurd!

The only reasoning I could figure from this behavoir is either
1. Diddy was originally slated to appear in Melee. He doesn't have a trophy because he was gonna have the 3 character trophies that every character gets, and due to time constraints (?) he didn't appear in game

OR

2. The developers just completely forgot or ignored him 100% which is just impossible.

Just throwing my two cents out there. Oh yea and I can contribute this high quality picture too

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Vaztor I added you as a super Diddy fan and I like your theories about why he wasn't a trophy in melee, I havn't put the picture on the first page because it's a little big and that page is already pretty **** big :laugh:

Swift I added you as a Diddy fan and I'm not gonna touch the moveset on the first page at the moment because Diddy Kong made it and I'm no good with movesets and I might stuff it up I'm a little scared of it :laugh:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Vaztor said:
xianfeng, Diddy Kong is currently my Number 1 on the list of most wanted characters in Brawl. I dunno much I can contribute to this topic but I think I deserve a Super Diddy Fan ranking. :D

Well actually I do know one thing I can contribute. I have a theory that Diddy Kong was originally slated to appear in Melee. Why do I think this? Well, have you ever noticed that Diddy Kong is virtually ignored completely in Melee? The chimp doesn't even have a trophy! Hell Dixie Kong has a trophy, and Diddy is MENTIONED on that trophy. The only other mention Diddy gets in the game is in the DK Rap. Ridiculous? Yes. I mean come on Dr. Mario's PILLS have a trophy before Diddy Kong? Thats absurd!

The only reasoning I could figure from this behavoir is either
1. Diddy was originally slated to appear in Melee. He doesn't have a trophy because he was gonna have the 3 character trophies that every character gets, and due to time constraints (?) he didn't appear in game

OR

2. The developers just completely forgot or ignored him 100% which is just impossible.

Just throwing my two cents out there. Oh yea and I can contribute this high quality picture too

Wow. That's a good theory. It's definently plausable, we know that Balloon Fighter made into the early Beta and Mach Rider narrowly missed the train due to being introduced too late into development. Snake didn't make it because the suggestion came too late in development, and Miyamato did allude to the fact that Sonic was atleast seriously considered... Maybe he was removed due to the strained relations between Nintendo and Rare, which eventually led to its sale to M$. Just a thought...

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Awesome! Thanks man.

*Pins Diddy Fan Button on Shirt*

No man it can't have anything to do with the Nintendo and Rare thing. They were still an item back them.

1. They still made Star Fox Adventures for them, which didn't come out until after Melee's release
2. There is a Dixie Kong, and K Rool Trophy
3. The DK Rap is there.

Diddy has nothing to do with the Rare breakup back then.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Vaztor said:
Awesome! Thanks man.

*Pins Diddy Fan Button on Shirt*

No man it can't have anything to do with the Nintendo and Rare thing. They were still an item back them.

1. They still made Star Fox Adventures for them, which didn't come out until after Melee's release
2. There is a Dixie Kong, and K Rool Trophy
3. The DK Rap is there.

Diddy has nothing to do with the Rare breakup back then.
I didn't suggest that he did, but relations were souring by late 2001. They probably kept all the stuff you mentioned inorder to please the fans and too much work had already gone into them to just scrap everything. Maybe Diddy was not yet a fully developed character, so it was easier to drop him. Not that Nintendo had anything against Diddy, as he was the first DKC character they brought back, maybe they just didn't want Rare getting too much credit for when the **** would finally hit the fan...

Top Bottom