• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
i trust in sakurai's decisions concerning brawl, i just dont trust sega's

I think this may be the most sensible thing I've read in the brawl section of SWF

SEGA's been making awful corporate decisions during its entire history, and unfortunately I could see this being just another one of them.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Light link is an idiot, it's like saying adding Waluigi would make Ridley's/Dedede's chances smaller. Does that make sense? no, hence lightlink=idiot.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Yet they don't have a "whatever" number either. You have to draw the line somewhere. They aren't about to come out with a hundred characters.
well obviously not, i never said there would be unlimited characters
YAnybody can reasonably be given a moveset. That "criteria" isn't one.
yes it is. Falcon can be given a reasonable moveset. G&W can be given a reasonable moveset. Tetris block CANT...i rest my case
Your entire froth hinges on the idea that there is no set limit, which of course there is. It may not be a solid number, but there is definitely a range. Further, some franchises are more important and/or popular than others, and that could cause certain characters from one franchise to be put in in place of somebody from another franchise.
you just contradicted youself. how can there be a SET limit if theres a range?

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
....that have so far been correct.
Wonderful. Cite me some sources. Should be easy because his assumptions are "correct." Thus, facts, and not assumptions at all. So please show me all the evidence.

You, on the other hand, have nothing to show for the side you choose.
Really? I guess I haven't been participating at all then. That is what "nothing" means. But wait! Oh, look. I have posts. With paragraphs. And points. That is "something."

So far, the pattern for character inclusion Del has set in that post is, for the most part, true.
Prove it.

Shouldn't you know? You magically know how they develop and include characters for a fact. You shouldn't have opinions, you should have facts.

Light link is an idiot, it's like saying adding Waluigi would make Ridley's/Dedede's chances smaller. Does that make sense? no, hence lightlink=idiot.[
/QUOTE]

You can't even spell my name right, and you expect me to take you seriously?

well obviously not, i never said there would be unlimited characters
Then there must be a set number, yes? And in development, there must have been a ceiling, and thus a set range. Thus lesser characters from certain franchises may have been sided out for other characters from other franchises. King Dedede being in may take space that could have gone out to balloon fighter (not that I want that crap, It's just an example).

you just contradicted youself. how can there be a SET limit if theres a range?
40-45 is a set limit. :rolleyes:

Ranges can be set limits. The only requirement for a set limit is that it's not subject to change. And if 40-45 is not subject to change, then it is set.

RDK

Smash Hero
1. lack of popular, significance, or fanbase
2. lack of creativity with character/moveset design
3. preference of another character from the SAME franchise
The above things, as Del suggested, are the main points that stop a certain character from being included into Brawl. Let's look at the current newcomers, shall we?

Pit

Although Pit was not as popular as some of the other choices, he still has, from the small amount of info we have, a creative moveset and character design / gameplay. And let's face it--we'd all rather have Pit than someone else from the same franchise.

Wario

Probably the most requested newcomer of the Mario franchise. Again, he has a creative moveset from what we've seen so far. This is probably the best example of point #3 in Del's post. Waluigi can go to hell.

Ike

People screamed for someone besides Marth. That's what they got. Although FE fans probably wanted something more along the lines of Ephraim / Lynn / Hector, Ike still has a solid fanbase.

Pokemon Trainer

This one shouldn't even need commentary. It pretty much fits all fields. The moveset / gameplay mechanics are the epitome of creativity, his fanbase is huge, being that it encompasses the Squirtle and Charizard for Brawl supporters, although I'd rather just have Mewtwo and Jiggs come back instead of a new Pokemon.

Diddy Kong

All I can say here is HUGE fanbase. Creativity also plays a factor, as Sakurai said himself that his playing style can't be captured with just screenshots. I'd rather have Diddy than K. Rool or someone else from the franchise.

Really? I guess I haven't been participating at all then. That is what "nothing" means. But wait! Oh, look. I have posts. With paragraphs. And points. That is "something."
I never said anything about your participation in the argument. I posted proof of the character inclusion criteria above. You should do the same with your ideas, however ludicrous they may be.

Shouldn't you know? You magically know how they develop and include characters for a fact. You shouldn't have opinions, you should have facts.
I never claimed to know how they develop and include characters for a fact. I'm not Sakurai. I merely pointed out that the points in Del's criteria post were, for the most part, true so far.

Don't put words in my mouth.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, Wouldn't another criterion be

4.Character represents a unique piece of Nintendo/Gaming history

I point to Pit, and in Melee Game and Watch. Sakurai seems to respect Ninetendo's history and wants to represent it. I think it's a good thing.

I would certainly expect at least one more off-the-wall character who might seem irrelevant until one considers their history.

RDK

Smash Hero
1. Character is relevant to Nintendo, and / or represents a piece of gaming history.

2. Character is relevant / important to the franchise from which he hails.

3. Character is popular and has a large fanbase.

4. Character brings something unique to the table.

^ That, I think, is a good list of criteria for inclusion into Brawl.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
The above things, as Del suggested, are the main points that stop a certain character from being included into Brawl.
Something I never contested, thank you very much.

I never said anything about your participation in the argument. I posted proof of the character inclusion criteria above.
Yes, thank you for the nice logical fallacies. How about you debate what I say now?

I never claimed to know how they develop and include characters for a fact.
Yes you did. You said:

....that have so far been correct.
You didn't say "That so far have made more sense" or "That I think are right" or "That I think make more sense." You said, they are "correct." This is a claim of knowledge superior to mine on what is "correct." You made a claim, that you know what is correct, simply because you deemed something to be so. If you didn't know, you have crappy prose, and ended up unwittingly saying things that are wrong, that you yourself admit to being wrong. But you *did* claim a deeper knowledge, adequate enough to deem somebody's assumptions "correct."

Don't put words in my mouth.
Don't say things you don't mean. Be wary of what you imply. And don't put words in MY mouth. There is a single assumption here that was made, that I disagree with it. Thank you for not identifying it, or commenting on it in any way.

The *point* is that characters can still take slots up across franchises. It's madness to just magically assume other-wise. The base assumption here that says "no" to this idea is that there is no ceiling for characters. There is. It's obvious. They didn't walk into development with the idea that they could put all the characters they wanted in. Somebody has to get the axe, and when iconic characters come in, they can take away from less-iconic characters from other franchises. This is just common sense. Stupid Diddy being in could take away from my Gardevoir. Why? Because Diddy is an extra character, there IS a ceiling, a limit to how many characters can conceivably be in, the end. We don't know how many characters each franchise gets, and I doubt they walked into development going "This franchise gets this many" for each franchise. Obviously a new character idea will try to take away from its own franchise first, but if it doesn't, then it must take away from other franchises. And since at this point, Diddy only has the option of taking away from DK, which it's not about to do, it must have taken away from somebody else.

RDK

Smash Hero
The fact that you called Diddy stupid and that he takes away from Gardevoir which, although is probably true (the chances of Garevoir being a PC are little to none) makes me want to disregard everything you say.

You made a claim, that you know what is correct, simply because you deemed something to be so. If you didn't know, you have crappy prose, and ended up unwittingly saying things that are wrong, that you yourself admit to being wrong. But you *did* claim a deeper knowledge, adequate enough to deem somebody's assumptions "correct."
And yes, I said it has been correct so far, because it has. I have crappy prose you say? That's funny, coming from someone who avoids the greater part of my last post and dismisses them as being logical fallacies.

I called out Del's PREDICTIONS, because that's what they are. They're not a solid formula that I know Sakurai will follow. To restate what I said, SO FAR they have been correct.

I never claimed a deeper knowledge. Wash your eyes.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
You didn't say "That so far have made more sense" or "That I think are right" or "That I think make more sense." You said, they are "correct." This is a claim of knowledge superior to mine on what is "correct." You made a claim, that you know what is correct, simply because you deemed something to be so. If you didn't know, you have crappy prose, and ended up unwittingly saying things that are wrong, that you yourself admit to being wrong. But you *did* claim a deeper knowledge, adequate enough to deem somebody's assumptions "correct."
He said SO FAR been correct as in have applied to characters SO FAR revealed as far as we can tell. he did not say I GOT SECRET INFO MAIKING THIS THE TRUTH OF THE UNIVERSE.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
the no such ting as a character slot if nintendo want to add a character and stuff they will as long the disck have memory

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
The fact that you called Diddy stupid and that he takes away from Gardevoir which, although is probably true (the chances of Garevoir being a PC are little to none) makes me want to disregard everything you say.
I'm allowed to my opinion. I think Diddy is a dumb character. I dislike greatly that he is in Brawl.

And yes, I said it has been correct so far, because it has
Stop claiming crap. If it has been, cite your sources. Where is the proof? Where are you getting this magical knowledge. You just said you didn't know, you aren't Sakurai. So how the hell are you going "it has been correct" if you don't know?

I have crappy prose you say? That's funny, coming from someone who avoids the greater part of my last post and dismisses them as being logical fallacies.
1 - Prose has nothing to do with "avoiding the greater part of" posts.

2 - They are logical fallacies. I never commented on any of that. You are preaching to the choir. I don't care about it. It has nothing to do with what I'm saying, so arguing about it pointless. Thus, I ignore it.

I called out Del's PREDICTIONS, because that's what they are. They're not a solid formula that I know Sakurai will follow.
Then don't say they are correct. Also keep in mind that you are consistently going back to things he said that I don't care about. I reiterated what he said that I do care about. And THAT is something that has not been proven true "so far." It's not like you ever managed to specifically phase out the point that I do care about.

Let me say it again for the hard of reading. I don't care about those 4 criteria. They are not what I have a problem with. I agree with them. But those criteria say nothing on a character's ability to take away, or to not take away, from characters from other franchises. That is what I'm talking about. So debate what I'm talking about, or leave me alone.

RDK

Smash Hero
No, I'm not going to leave you alone. You're in the Diddy APPRECIATION thread, not the ***** about Diddy being in thread. If you want to talk about your wonderful Gardevoir, go to the appropriate thread.

What exactly are you even trying to debate? Okay, so Diddy being in lowers the chances of other characters from other franchises being in. Yes, that's true. What's the point you're trying to make?

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so Diddy being in lowers the chances of other characters from other franchises being in. Yes, that's true.
Great. We agree.

The other guy, the guy whom you said had a correct assumption, does not think so. That is why I'm arguing.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Okay LightLink, since you're being so stupid by bashing Diddy in a Diddy appreciation topic, who are the newcomers you want for Brawl?

*waits for his list to be extremely *********

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
If you say so. Maybe he "deserved" one, doesn't mean I have to want him. Also don't think he deserved one more than "anyone."

And I've already said the three characters I actually want in. Everybody else I either don't care about, or straight up wish they are not in.

Braver

Smash Rookie
It's strange acually.. Why DO people hate Diddy? When I saw the update I was so happy. Diddy is such a classic character and can have his very own unique move set. And come on now, he gets to use his Donkey Kong 64 Jet and Peanut Gun. Ownage.

Diddy Kong owns no matter what anyone says. I always used him for speed and whatnot in Donkey Kong Country. Diddy is ftw. :monkey:

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I'm allowed to my opinion. I think Diddy is a dumb character. I dislike greatly that he is in Brawl.
I too think diddy is a dumb character but he was bound to get in of course.

Stop claiming crap. If it has been, cite your sources. Where is the proof? Where are you getting this magical knowledge. You just said you didn't know, you aren't Sakurai. So how the hell are you going "it has been correct" if you don't know?
do you understand the meaning of "SO FAR"????????
He said SO FAR been correct as in have applied to characters SO FAR revealed as far as we can tell. he did not say I GOT SECRET INFO MAIKING THIS THE TRUTH OF THE UNIVERSE.

RDK

Smash Hero
Great. We agree.
As long as there's a fixed number of characters slotted, which will probably be about 40 or so, any character's inclusion in Brawl is one less inclusion for another character. Although I think that Sakurai already has the game / characters pretty much developed. It would only make sense this far into the games' development. It's not like he's throwing in characters as he goes, even if it might seem so to us because of the update system / character paranoia.

BTW Dizzy, your sig is made of pure win.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
It's strange acually.. Why DO people hate Diddy? When I saw the update I was so happy.
He's just dumb? When I saw the update I was in a room with 3 other guys. We all went "gaaaay" or "Oh man, I hoped he was just an assist trophy when I saw it" and other things.
I too think diddy is a dumb character but he was bound to get in of course.
I agree. Funnily enough, in that group I was in when I saw the update, I was the only one who figured he'd be in, sure thing. Everybody else thought the idea was so ******** that they never considered it even possible before he was confirmed.

do you understand the meaning of "SO FAR"????????
Did you ever manage to read the main point that he was affirming? Last time I checked, nothing "so far" has confirmed that a character can't take away from other characters across franchises, nor has anything "so far" managed to show that all characters are chosen within magic vacuums of their franchises.

As long as there's a fixed number of characters slotted, which will probably be about 40 or so, any character's inclusion in Brawl is one less inclusion for another character.
Exactly what I am saying. But if you bothered to read anything, the guy whom you said had correct assumptions, believed this to be false. When I said his assumptions were no more valid than mine, I was referring to his idea that characters can't take away from characters across franchises, which implies there is no set limit to how many characters can be in. Both ideas are not proven assumptions. So I commented on it. Then you go off and go "which are correct so far." Which is wrong. You may not have known you were doing it, but that is what you did. Affirm the idea that Characters can't take away across franchises.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
LightLink, I'm still for the newcomers you want.

You already dissed Diddy and Dedede, possibly two out of the three remaining deserving characters (3rd being Ridley) So with your poor taste in popular characters, who do you want?

widowmaker300

Smash Cadet
can u explain wut makes diddy so "dumb"? i personally think having him in the game is great. u state that it is stupid yet have no legitimate reasons.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman

BTW Dizzy, your sig is made of pure win.
somebody made it in the old captin falcon thread, i love it.
can u explain wut makes diddy so "dumb"? i personally think having him in the game is great. u state that it is stupid yet have no legitimate reasons.
If you're refering to me, I just dont like the character but i didn't say he shouldn't be in the game.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Page 280.

And what in the world could possibly be awesome about Diddy? He has peanut guns. He's a monkey. He isn't even in a ball.

Top Bottom