• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Nintendo make bad choices for newcomers?

What do you think about the newcomers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Good choices::4megaman::4pacman::4greninja::4megaman::4villager::4megaman::4littlemac::rosalina::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman:
Ok choices::4palutena::4wiifit:
Meh choice::4mii:
Megaman more than makes up for any mistaken choices though.

Last edited:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
We haven't seen all the newcomers yet, but out of the ones we got and the ones that are likely through the Sal Romano leak, I think they're all pretty good choices. The only choices that I think are less than superb are Rosalina, Mii and Chorus Men, but even those have decent merit for being considered a fighter and have good gameplay to back them up (well we don't know if the chorus will be fun to play as, but they probably will)

Overall, I'm excited to play as the newcomers, I just hope they have room for K Rool and a few other newcomers beyond the Sal Leak.

what about Daisy? Has everyone forgotten about Daisy? She doesn't get enough credit.
eeeh... I don't think daisy is a good choice. I can't see much moveset potential beyond what peach can do and she has less merit to be included than a lot of other mario characters (Rosalina, Bowser jr, Paper Mario, Toad, Waluigi, Birdo, Shy Guy)

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Miis.... But I get that people can make their own characters if their fave wasn't entered... but I still find it messy

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
[Shrugs] They are much better choices than some of the requests I have seen on Miiverse.

But in all seriousness, thus far, I have found all the revealed newcomers to be very interesting, in terms of playstyle. Now, it seems they are putting more thought into unique movesets than ever before. Something tells me the amount of clones in this game will be kept to an extreme minimum.

Whether or not these choices are "good" or "bad" is ultimately a matter of perspective. At this rate, even if mine personal most wanted characters do not make it in, I will still be satisfied with the overall game, as there are plenty of characters, new and old, that I find to be interesting already.

By the way, am I the only one whom actually likes the Mii Fighters? I personally find all three types to be very interesting; I never would have thought of incorporating them this way. Although, I really wish there was a Mii Wizard. [Shrugs] But oh well.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I for one really like all of the newcomers. Hell, I didn't like the idea of Pac-Man but they even made him look great.

But yeah, I might be biased because Mega Man alone makes this roster great for me. The day he was revealed I actually couldn't stop smiling.

andimidna

Smash Master
:4villager:Animal Crossing is a popular series. Unique moveset.
:4megaman:One of the 6 most requested characters. Unique moveset.
:4wiifit:Wii Fit is amongst Nintendo's Top (5?6?10?) best selling franchises. Unique moveset.
:rosalina:Has always been popular but has been rising in popularity especially lately. Most unique moveset.
:4littlemac:One of the 6 most requested characters. Punch Out is very well-known.
:4greninja:The hot new Pokemon from Gen 6. Unique moveset.
:4palutena:One of the 6 most requested characters. Amiibo functionality.
:4pacman:One of the most iconic and recognizable gaming characters.
:4mii:Ew.

Current satisfaction:
:rosalina:100%
:4palutena:100%
:4greninja:93%
:4pacman:89%
:4wiifit:87%
:4villager:81%
:4megaman:73%
:4littlemac:68%
:4mii:9%
I really wanted Little Mac and Mega-Man in this game, and while I'm happy with how things look in pictures, their playstyles are not appealing to me.
I used to not care for Pac-Man but his playstyle is very interesting to me.
Rosalina and Palutena will always be the best, with Greninja following next!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah. Honestly Miis are the only questionable move with newcomers, especially since it seems like they only use extremely cloney specials. And the whole "You're the fighter!" thing was cool in 2008 when Soul Calibur IV did it with a good custom maker, but now? It just feels sort of...meh.

Really all I need to see is Shulk and I'm good with newcomers, since Mac, Palutena and Mega Man are in, and Rosie and Greninja and Villager (and WFT and Pac-man, but my caring is less.) look solid.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Palutena, Peach with a new haircut and the Miis are all kinda iffy

Otherwise, good stuff.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Mii Fighters look ugly. Well I never even liked the ways Miis looked in the first place. The 3 categories of Mii Fighters seem cool but also messy. I wish Sakurai would've left out the Miis, though I understand why he made them available. :/

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think a bad choice has been made yet but if the infamous leak is true then a lot of obvious choices have been left out.

What is a bad choice is that Toon Link and Sheik didn;t get any new Final Smashes.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I don't think a bad choice has been made yet but if the infamous leak is true then a lot of obvious choices have been left out.

What is a bad choice is that Toon Link and Sheik didn;t get any new Final Smashes.
Clone final smashes are a turn-off, I agree. :/
Does the leak indicate that no more other characters will be present?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Only gripe I have is with Miis but it was inevitable with how much Nintendo's shoved Miis down your throats since their inception. I feel underwhelmed for the most part with the newcomers they've announced thus far. Most are very much deserving (Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac-Man were my faves, and Rosalina and Palutena should be decent) but a few are questionable (Villager, WFT, Miis, and the rumored Chorus Men if that leak is true), I'm just hoping for another playable Metroid rep, it doesn't even have to be Ridley (though I will say I am a big supporter).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As a reminder, if this slowly turns into just a hate thread, it will get locked.

As for whether Nintendo made good/bad choices, it all depends on your perspective and wants. Like, I've wanted a Mario newcomer since Brawl, so I was very happy to see Rosalina. Others however may think Mario already has enough characters.

I personally don't dislike any newcomer (except Mii), but their inclusions make sense to me in hindsight.

PsychoVillager

Smash Rookie
Except Wii Fit Trainer (I don't like it yet but I really understand she/ is in the game) I think all of them are great choices. Villager is God and rest of them are so enjoyable newcomers.

Actually, I didn't like Mii fighters at first but once I know they are customized (Love the sword one) and you can't use them in online fights I think it is pretty well inserted.

Also, I'm waiting for some newcomers from games like Bayonetta, Bravely Default, Xenoblade and Golden Sun and characters as Layton or Sceptile (Now I prefer new games newcomers instead of more from the same game).

So yes, i love the newcomers.

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
There are still a lot of characters that I would like to see in Smash, but I can't say that the newcomers that were already revealed aren't deserving of their spot on the roster. The only one I think is a waste of a spot is the Mii Fighter. I would have liked those resources to have gone somewhere else. At least I won't have to play against Miis online.

Hong

The Strongest
Good choices. I'm upset with the implementation of Palutena, but that aside it's not a problem with the character.

More upset with the return of Toon Link than I am the appearance of newcomers, since it makes me fear we'll get more like-characters.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Out of the nine known newcomers, I'm mostly satisfied. I understand that I'm a minority here, but I thought Palutena was the meh-est announcement so far.

Palutena just seemed like series over-representation for Kid Icarus considering that just last generation Pit was considered a retro rep. Maybe that's just me, though. Still excited for her fans, but I just can't get excited over yet another princess/queen/goddess-looking woman. She, Rosalina, Peach, and Zelda make four. I'm all for more gender representation, but not every woman is a princess.

Villager is better than Palutena for me, but he is still a bit questionable. If Miis are going to be in the game (which I'm totally fine with), it doesn't make much sense to have another avatar type character displayed so prominently. I would have much preferred if Tom Nook or K.K. Slider got Villager's moveset to have an actual Animal Crossing character be represented.

I love the Animal Crossing series, but my villager didn't look anything like THE Villager. It's almost like Sakurai put a character in the game that I could never actually see in Animal Crossing. This being said, however, I think his playstyle is awesome and I'm still pretty okay with the way Villager turned out.

I love the Wii Fit Trainer; I think her inclusion is both fitting of Smash Bros. and very smart. Smash Bros. characters should never have to look like a certain thing or be from a certain kind of game, that would defeat the purpose of taking from all different kinds of Nintendo games!

Pac-Man and Mega Man are fantastic choices for all the reasons listed by others who posted before me. Pac-Man was actually one of my most anticipated newcomers.

I understand if some people are a little frustrated or confused by Greninja's inclusion, but I think it's wonderful. Sakurai found a way to represent the new generation of Pokémon, represent the competitive Pokémon community (which is probably larger than the competitive Smash community), and adhear to prexisting popularity. This is astounding considering the recent news about how he chose Greninja to be a fighter.

If you didn't see Miis or Little Mac coming, you haven't been paying attention. If you aren't into their inclusion, you still aren't.

TLDR: I'm a big fan of Mega Man, WFT, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, Miis, and Pac-Man. I'm iffy about Villager and I'm not into Palutena.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Clone final smashes are a turn-off, I agree. :/
Does the leak indicate that no more other characters will be present?
It indicated that 3 more newcomers would be Shulk, Chrom and the Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven would be playable and that Lucas was on the chopping block. It didn't say they were the only three newcomers though.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
It indicated that 3 more newcomers would be Shulk, Chrom and the Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven would be playable and that Lucas was on the chopping block. It didn't say they were the only three newcomers though.
Didn't Gematsu say Ness or Lucas were going to get cut? I know Lucas is more likely according to the leak, but Ness is still there.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The third party choices were without a doubt the best ones he could have made. Megaman and Pac-Man are two of the biggest names, and alongside Sonic are the perfect third party trio.
Pac-Man haters that are still around now are an odd bunch hating on the most famous video game character of all time(bar Mario).

Wii Fit Trainer is a character I'm not overly keen on.
Yes; the series was popular, but just like what most others are saying about Chorus Kids; I don't feel a playable character was the best way to rep the series.
The stage? Love it though. Would have been satisfied with just that and the Wii Fit Board dancing about in the background.

Rosalina, despite all the crap I've given her in other threads, DOES deserve a playable slot because she is popular and does represent Mario Galaxy extremely well. Her moveset seems unique, but it's not really a playstyle I'll imagine I'll play much.

Palutena honestly just feels like she got in because she's Sakurai's Golden Girl. Kid Icarus was fine with just Pit, and Palutena's moveset...whatever the default options actually were, didn't feel very unique.

Villager deserves in. Unlike Wii Fit I feel there's enough character based gameplay in Animal Crossing to warrant his inclusion. The alt costumes help immensely too. Female villager; great choice.

Little Mac deserved it...albeit I'm not convinced he's not really the retro get around character this time round.

Greninja was so damn random. I didn't hate him, but I can't say the ninja frog deserves it anymore than any other Pokemon.

And then there's Mii.
Who did kind of deserve in; inarguably a big part of Nintendo's identity now.
However I do understand a lot of others issues with them. Specifically them being three characters...albeit three pick and mix characters.

Overall upon analysing them individually I guess it's not a bad selection. Maybe needs just one more 'popular' character to make it seem less of a random selection...preferably someone who isn't an anime swordsman though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't really call them "bad" although they aren't really characters I'm fully interested in with the exception of Villager, Rosalina and somewhat Palutena and Greninja.

If none of my more wanted characters make it in then I will probably go with the Villager since even though I didn't support him, he became a character I grew to really like after playing Animal Crossing New Leaf so he will probably become my new main. Will most likely also stick with Toon Link, Ness (Mewtwo if he returns) and maybe use Rosalina a lot too if she isn't as complex as she looks.

All in all, I think the character choices are okay I guess...

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
What do you guys think about these newcomers?
View attachment 16846
I think that some of them were great, but I feel like they started randomly selecting after awhile. Like they gave up or something. For instance, adding Palutena was awesome, anddd so was Rosalina and Luma (in my opinion) I'm sure a lot of people were waiting for Palutena,but then wii fit trainer? Pac man? Out of all the amazing characters they could've chosen... what about Daisy? Has everyone forgotten about Daisy? She doesn't get enough credit. I believe they unnecessarily eliminated some good characters, like falcon. They could have kept everybody in. I want to hear everyone's opinion.
just going to give my blunt honest opinions. usually i hold back a bit but if this threads about what i actually honestly think of the newcomers here we go:

Villager- awesome, good choice animal crossing needed a rep (woulda went with tom nook but this is fine).

Megaman- awesome, best 3rd party choice after sonic. exactly the right choice.

WFT- lame, im ok with it now but if this is a thread about opinions and how the newcomers could be better she is a bad choice and appeals to no one and could have been someone fans wanted instead.

Rosalina- eh' she looks cool and interesting cause of the moveset but i could think of better mario characters (toad, bowser jr, waluigi...tho hes more a wario rep imo). not mad at it cause i think mario had a perfect representation on the roster so more mario characters is just fluff... could have been some one more fan requested from another series for this "spot" though, but im not mad at this choice at all, i just dont think she has the "staying power" of the rest of the mario rep cast...

Little Mac- awesome, totally necessary. should have been in back in melee instead of ice climbers or something as an NES rep and after pit getting in this old nintendo character needed to get some respect finally.

Greninja- lame, again neat move set but pokemon could have better reps...im a bit of a "gen oner" but honestly i play them all and really like X and Y i just think as far as reps go for smash bros greninja is not "recognizable" status enough to be playable the way pikachu, charizard, mewtwo, lucario etc... are. I mean this could lead into how jigglypuff is kind of an odd choice at this point but i GET why jigglypuff was picked and once someone is in one game i dont want them cut... that said, if greninja doesnt hold in popularity (and i dont think he will) its going to feel strange to have to keep or cut him in the next smash bros (and this is why i wouldnt pick characters that dont have staying power...rosalina worries me in a similar way...we might never revisit mario galaxy games and even if she pops up in mario games eventually it will feel forced, it already is starting to feel forced). IF sceptile is picked as a newcomer i kind of get greninja because then we have final evolution starters from multiple generations of the three "types" buuut if sceptile is NOT in then i just dont get WHY the current gen NEEDED rep at all. bad choice imo, probly a fun character to play but bad choice roster wise.

Mii- lame, i dont like em personally but they do represent modern nintendo i GUESS so i get why they are here... i think my biggest issue is having both them and WFT... one is ok but 2 bland "wii era" reps are just not my cup of tea...if i had to choose one tho itd be Mii's over WFT.

Palutena- neat, not a huge kid icarus fan personally but she seems cool, has personality, we need more females etc... so shes an ok choice tho not a personal favorite...if i was making the roster she'd probly still be here though because fans seem to want her and she has an interesting weapon/magic concept going on and again need more females and kid icarus can totally have 2 reps, seems deserving.

PacMan- neat, not my favorite 3rd party choice but namco working on the game and the fact we have mario sonic and megaman...its cool we have pacman, im an old school guy anyway so despite him not being so great these days his history makes him worthy imo.

overall im ok with the roster newcomers so far but i never really think sakurai makes the right choices with the roster. i know some people get mad hearing that but honestly he doesn't, very deserving characters get left out every time in favor of wacky "you couldnt guess it" sakurai choices... thats fine for like ONE character but he tends to go over board at the expense of truly deserving reps losing their chances so although im ok with this roster it has more to do with me expecting this sort of thing from sakurai and focusing on the characters im cool with. but seriously give me the same number of newcomers and im sure i could make a better list of deserving characters for those spots sooo whatever sakurai runs the game ive accepted it.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Man, something went wrong with Palutena's eyes in OPs picture, she looks pissed as all hell. Too much upscaling.

But yeah, I don't really fancy many of them. Greninja looks fun, Mega Man is someone who I actually wanted in, but I don't really care much for the rest. The only ones I think are "bad" choices are Rosalina, Mii and Wii Fit Trainer, I can think of many characters I'd pick over each of them. I can see why people like some of them though, but I personally find most of them boring or to not fit my style. I've also talked about this too much as is, but the lack of a heavy weight and a villain character is absurd.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think every newcomer so far has been excellent, especially after seeing them in action.

Rosalina was my most wanted with a gen 6 pokemon close behind, And Greninja is my favourite of the bunch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Didn't Gematsu say Ness or Lucas were going to get cut? I know Lucas is more likely according to the leak, but Ness is still there.
as the game is out in three months the roster is probably finished so i dont think so (not at this point anyway)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think most of the characters were great choices. I mean, you've got Megaman, Rosalina, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Palutena, Greninja, and Villager. Sure some of those characters aren't the most popular choices, but in the end their reception was popular and they look interesting.

I'm not too sure how I feel about Miis though, I guess they are ok. But I can't see myself using them that much.The only character(s) I don't like is the Wii Fit Trainer. Just looks boring to me.

Still, I'm maining Megaman along with my usual 5 characters.

Not to mention, we haven't even seen all of the characters yet. So who knows what else is going to happen. Hopefully whatever characters they add will be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would say that most of them have been good choices so far. My issue though is that not a lot of the newcomers have me arm flailingly excited for them like I was for a good number of the Brawl newcomers. For Brawl, Wario, Metaknight, Olimar, Lucario, King Dedede, Diddy, Pit, and Pokemon Trainer were really exciting additions for me and it seemed like the boards exploded with excitement nearly every time someone new was shown. This time though, that really hasn't been the case. Megaman's the only super popular left over from the Brawl days that has made the cut so far and him and Little Mac are the only ones that a ton of people were excited for before SSB4 was officially announced. Villager, Rosalina, and Greninja had small fanbases that were barely a blip on the radar, Wii Fit Trainer was a complete curveball, Palutena's popularity didn't really take off until after the "leak" back in January, and Mii and Pac-Man had just as many haters as they did fans. Despite this, I like how everybody has been implemented. All the newcomers announced so far have been good fits and I like how their playstyles have turned out. I, however, still hope to see at least a couple more people that these boards will actually get excited about. All in all, it seems more people actually care more about the veterans this time around and, as someone whose been following Smash speculation since Melee, that just strikes me as really odd.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Like many, I must wait for the game.
I think that we are getting all of the more baffling characters revealed now, honestly- some make sense, sure, but the ones that attract new clientele to this game who would not normally have gotten it anyway. The... notso obvious choices (even if all of them are, to me, fully justified).

To me, however, it IS an all star game, and the IP does mean something, even if original mechanic does too. These are mostly characters who should have been added after the big draw names, such as Mewtwo, K Rool, Ridley (and for me Toad, Isaac).
I absolutely think, however, those characters are likely to be in the game. Sakurai is leaving a lot of psychological hints, given his method of trying to be secretive and mislead for dramatic surprise, and personally I would find the game very lacking of none of those characters made it in, because clearly any of them could be very unique, so the 'mechanic' factor is almost a moot point (though, not entirely). I think we are getting all the basic, secondary additions as starter characters, and all the'ahh, that feels good- feels complete, oh my god challenger approaching' characters will be secret.

But that is just my positive view on it. I think Sakurai has really great efforts put into balancing fan service with his own additions for game play (as seen with the competitive vs casual elements of this game), and to me, it is impossible to balance without these big names, but all these other characters so far added are amazing additions to booster sales in he mean time.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Every single new comer makes a ton of sense, even if they are not the most popular choices. So no.

D

Deleted member

Im hype for the third-parties, little mac, greninja and villager. I'm indifferent towards Palutena, Mii, and WFT, and I absolutely despise Rosalina's confirmation. The dream of any other Mario newcomer is crushed...(I just wanted Toad...:<)

Overall, I'm hype. The choices are pretty good here, so nothing wrong. (Except for that Rosalina....)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Collectively the crop of newcomers are pretty mediocre, despite my personal opinions on said characters. Every game so far we've had at least several A-List Nintendo characters, this year we haven't really had any (aside from maybe Villager, who is debatable due to being an avatar).

The good: Villager, Greninja, Little Mac, Megaman, PacMan

The ok:
Wii Fit Trainer (good WTF choice, but in this section by default for being something that no one really wanted)
Rosalina (good character but there were other Mario characters far more deserving)

The awful/undeserving:
Mii Fighters (can't use them online, were obvious, but a bad idea all along)
Palutena (KI really didn't need any more characters, and Palutena's moveset looks fairly bland and uninspired)

If Gematsu is true, then chalk 2 more up to the ok section, and one to the awful section (Chrom).

It's not so much as what they've added. It's more of what they haven't added. Which has collectively made the batch of newcomers seem a lot worse than they really are.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mii Fighters (can't use them online, were obvious, but a bad idea all along)
because they were obvious? bit of an odd thing to complain about, surely by the same logic mario, link, luigi, pikachu and kirby were poor choices

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
because they were obvious? bit of an odd thing to complain about, surely by the same logic mario, link, luigi, pikachu and kirby were poor choices
No I'm not saying they were bad because they were obvious. I'm saying they were obviously going to include them, but they were still bad choices.

I don't see how you could have confused that, the word "but" is pretty self explanatory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom