• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Nintendo make bad choices for newcomers?

What do you think about the newcomers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Miis make me wanna throw up, but since I can sort of choose to never see them, they don't count.
Pac Man is meh. I don't feel anything for him.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Wow, i see a lot of dislike for the miis, i feel like one of the few who love their inclusion. i just like customizing! i do it all the time with the stage creator in brawl and if that comes back plus the miis than i will be a busy man endlessly making new miis and stages!

Anyways aside from that i love pretty much all the choices. i think i love mega man and pac man the most though

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of movesets, Greninja is completely meh. I mean, I am a sucker for fast, combo centric characters, so he should be right up my alley. And I think he'll play fine, but the thing is, he only has one or two unique moves. His playstyle really just looks like Sheik Mk.II to me. I imagine he'll be one of the most player characters competitively, though.

Everyone else has incredibly interesting movesets, and most of them bring an all new play style to the table.

--------------

In terms of the characters themselves, and how their personalities come through in Smash:

Rosalina and Mega Man were ones I really, really wanted, and the ones I have an extreme sentimental attachment to (well, more so Rosalina).

While I prefer the Mega Man X series to the Classic series, I still greatly enjoy the Classic series, and Classic Mega Man as a character is great to me. And I knew he was more iconic than X (even though X is really well known), so I figured he'd get in before any other incarnation of Mega Man. Plus, the Sonic and Mega Man crossover comic did very well, so I figured that putting him in and bringing back Sonic made perfect sense, since a lot of people would like to set up their own interactions between the characters, myself included. I really enjoy the stoic robot route they went with for Mega Man, and he exudes fan service. And his Final Smash meant my boy X could get some kind of Smash participation in, along with the other incarnations. So needless to say, Mega Man is an amazing inclusion, and I pretty much feel that's an objectively accepted fact. You can't look at the moment in the Invitational where Mega Man whipped out his Final Smash (only due to Rosalina willingly sacrificing herself, though...), and tell me, with a straight face, that this inclusion was not warranted. Even if you don't care about Mega Man, that crowd reaction and commentary by D1 just cemented Mega Man's place as a deserving character.

Rosalina is my absolute favourite Nintendo character (and I love her as much as other favourite characters, like Sonic). I've wanted her since the Brawl days, and anyone who ever thought she would be a Peach clone clearly doesn't know enough about the character to have a valid opinion on how her moveset could be (and if you think she looks like a recolour of Peach, you're as blind as Amy Rose). She's by far the most unique addition to the roster, and she seems like the most complex one too. I have an extreme sentimental attachment to Rosalina for a lot of deeply personal reasons, so her personality and mannerisms coming through in Smash were of the utmost importance to me. And Sakurai delivered amazingly - she moves with grace (she's objectively the best animated character in the game if you ask me, the attention to detail in her movements is amazing), her motherly nature and bond with the Lumas is represented through incorporating Lumas into her playstyle, she has the voice echo from Galaxy (I don't mind this being absent in more light hearted games like Mario Kart, but I wanted to hear it in Smash), her model looks stunning (probably tied with Mega Man for best looking in-game model), her trailer was by far the best one and provided the most surprise (when every other character was announced, it was at the end of a bunch of other Smash content being shown or something, with the exception of Little Mac - Rosalina's trailer first broadcasted out of nowhere, and was not prefaced with the fiery Smash logo when shown in that Nintendo Direct. And unlike Little Mac, there was no reason to believe a newcomer would be revealed in a generic Direct at the time of her reveal) - I could go on, but they've done an impossibly wonderful job with Rosalina in this game.

Palutena was a character I supported lightly initially, as I liked the look of her, but never played Uprising. However, when I got Uprising and finished it, I definitely full on wanted her. And I am completely satisfied with how she looks to be in Smash, she has her personality intact, and looks fun to play. Her trailer is also one of the better ones.

Little Mac is a character I wanted to see simply because he deserved it, and I knew people wanted him. He was such a no-brainer. Admittedly, I didn't care about the character beyond that. However, again, his trailer was hype, and he looks really fun to use. And while I can't speak much for his personality, I think he serves as a sort of relatable figure, since at the end of the day, he is no super hero or anything, he's simply a guy with a lot of determination and worked hard to get where he is.

I don't care about Animal Crossing, but I love how they managed to turn the default player avatar of the series, into his own character. This may be somewhat fueled by internet memes, but I think the comically creepy and murderous vibe people get from him was intentional, and it's hilarious. His moveset looks to be very cool too, and represents Animal Crossing well (I played a good bit of Wild World so I know how the series works, I just didn't care about the series getting a Smash rep).

Wii Fit Trainer is the perfect example of a character I never knew I wanted. She doesn't look like the most unique fighter, but she has some unique elements and looks fun to play. And she has a lot of personality in this game.

I recognise the historical significance of Pac-Man, but I never did care about whether or not he got in. I was happy enough with Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man as far as historic battles go, and even Snake was a very historic addition to the series. However, I have no problem with Pac-Man being in the game, it's just that I somewhat disagree with the justification many people have for him getting in (most people who wanted Pac-Man don't play his games or care about him as a character, they just wanted him because history). That being said, I kinda want to see Sakurai make a Pac-Man game now, because nobody has made him more charming and appealing than he has.

Greninja is a character I had never seen before Smash, and I do like his character design a lot. But beyond that - meh. He feels random. I don't see why he would get in over any other Pokémon. And I certainly didn't think he was worthy of being the big reveal to close off the Smash Direct. I'm fine with him being in the game, but that's all he is to me - he's just "there". While Brawl introduced me to Lucario, he at least has a lot of solid identity, and he can talk. So he's a legit character. Greninja, however, is just another Pokémon, with no special significance. Every other Pokémon in Smash has had some major part in the anime series at the very least. Greninja doesn't. While he may get a huge role in the future, I just have absolutely no reason to care for this not-a-character. At least Pac-Man had historical importance. Greninja doesn't.

Mii Fighters are an addition I am fond of, and in a roundabout way, make it possible to play as one of my most wanted characters - Reggie! So yeah, I'm pretty happy.

TL;DR - Everyone but Greninja feels completely warranted and is represented in an appealing way. Greninja is not a terrible addition, but he couldn't be more lackluster.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Alright. Thought I'd chip in here:

Good Choices
:4villager:- Popular series that really needed a character. I love how he was implemented.
:4megaman:- While I have no personal attachment to Mega Man, I'd say he was a good choice for fan requests.
:4wiifit:- Basically a WTF character, but one that would represent the Wii era, which is a cool idea. Her/his moves are cool too.
:rosalina:- One may argue that Rosalina isn't an all-star yet, but it's pretty clear that Nintendo is trying to make her the next main Mario character. Smash is just helping with that goal. Plus, her moveset is awesome.
:4littlemac:- Fans in the West have requested him a lot, and he was in a series that needed a character.
:4greninja:- Judging by Sakurai's interview, I'd say Greninja, like Rosalina, is becoming the next main character. Of course in Pokémon's case, he's more like a mascot. Great choice to represent Gen VI.
:4mii:- I was pleasantly surprised with how they were implemented. And honestly, they deserved to get in.
:4pacman:- Pac-Man's inclusion makes sense, with Namco working on the game. He's also super recognizable.

Bad Choices
:4palutena:- She really only got in because of Sakurai making Uprising. Kid Icarus already had a ton of non-character representation. I would use the "doesn't deserve two characters argument," but that would make me a hypocrite. I feel like her popularity was alright before the "leak," but that's what really made her popular. Strangely enough, I was sort of hyped for her, but I was totally underwhelmed. Her moves looked pretty boring, and I was disappointed with her model too. Like others have said, I was hoping for a more anime-looking model. Only plus side is that I can use her as another argument as to why Pikmin can get two characters.

Still holding out
for Ridley, K. Rool, and by god, maybe even Plasm Wraith.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Eh, I'm taking this as Sakurai wanting to give representation to newer franchises instead of padding out the old ones. He already did that for Brawl, so I'm guessing that he wants to give the spotlight to franchises that have a promising future ahead of them.

Sure Ridley and K. Rool are deserving candidates, but a lot of people seem to exaggerate their popularity in the general fanbase, and Nintendo's recognition of them. Sakurai might just view them as "boss characters" and be done with it.

The two exceptions so far are Mega Man and Pac-Man, but that's because they're both "legendary" characters and that their companies wanted them in badly.

Last edited:

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
There was sooo much hype when villager and (especially) megaman were announced that it seems every character afterward is kind of. "Eh". I'm still expecting a few more "!!!!!s" before the release.

However, I did really get that hype feeling again when pacman was announced.

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
The team has hit some of the big fan requests (Little Mac, Palutena), some strong third parties (Mega Man, Pac-Man), characters who seemed inevitable in retrospect (Villager, Mii Fighter) and a couple neat choices we didn't really see coming (Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja). I'd say it's a pretty diverse selection of newcomers and, even though its still missing a couple of characters I'd like to see, I can't complain at all. I mean, I've already gotten four of my most wanted six, so I can live without going 6-for-6.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't think that they're bad choices as much as... generally meh. None of them particularly excite me. I've never been more stoked for a newcomer than I was for Pokemon Trainer and I likely never will be again (Especially since Sakurai is doing the thing, getting rid of PT's better Pokemon and keeping the bad one).

If Paper Mario or Robin were announced, then those are newcomers I can get psyched about. Otherwise... I'll still get the game. I'll still love the game as I have loved the other Smash games. But there isn't a newcomer yet that's super piquing my interest. Greninja maybe.

Could do without Miis and Pacman. I'm sure they'll be fine, but.. Until I get a newcomer to be stoked about they just feel kinda wasted-space to me.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Honestly, I know that everybody have their own opinion, but it's hard for me to think that prople look at the newcomers and think "hey, that's great!".
I can't help but think that some people are just jumping into the bandwagon and accepting what Sakurai threw at us. Sure, Sakurai is awesome, he created Kirby and Super Smash Bros, he made great rosters for SSB64, SSBM and SSBB. But SSB4 newcomers are not enough to make me excited. And the "running out of characters" argument is not enough to convince me.
And, yes, the characters are the most important thing in Super Smash Bros. To me, at least.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Speaking as objectively as possible and using past Smash games as reference, I've sorted different characters into a "tier"

Nintendo All-Stars + Guests:
:mario64::luigi64::dk64::link64::pikachu64::kirby64::samus64::fox64: - :bowsermelee::peachmelee::ganondorfmelee::zeldamelee::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::pt:*:diddy::olimar::warioc::sonic::snake::4villager::4pacman::4megaman:
Middle Tier:
:yoshi64::ness64::falcon64::falcomelee::icsmelee::gawmelee::sheikmelee::dedede::metaknight::ike::lucario::lucas::pit::zerosuitsamus::wolf::rob::toonlink::4littlemac::4palutena:
Second-rates:
:jigglypuff64::drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::roymelee::rosalina::4wiifit::4mii::4greninja:
Tally:
SSB64- 1st: 8 2nd: 3 3rd: 1
Melee- 1st: 6 2nd: 4 3rd: 4
Brawl- 1st: 6 2nd: 10 3rd: 0
SSB4- 1st: 3 2nd: 2 3rd: 4

The original Smash trumps all with the most true all-stars, at eight, with SSB4 taking last place with three, two of which are third party. Brawl has the lead for most of the "middle tier" characters, but is tied with Melee for all-stars, counting Sonic and Snake. Both Melee and SSB4 are tied for most second-rate characters, with four each. Though as we don't know all of the newcomers for SSB4, it's impossible to judge it as a whole, so not counting the rest of the "Gematsu" characters, it seems to be in the middle ground for characters introduced. So ordering the Smash games solely on the newcomer rosters: SSB64, Brawl, Melee, SSB4. This leaves SSB4 with the "worst" newcomer pool of all the Smash games, based on various observations.

*For the purpose of judging, I used the Pokemon Trainer himself rather than judging his Pokemon separately.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Honestly, I know that everybody have their own opinion, but it's hard for me to think that prople look at the newcomers and think "hey, that's great!".
There's plenty of reasons for that.

My personal fondness of the roster we're getting so far is that every single character, besides Palutena, represent more than just themselves. Each character has a whole series attached to them, and in Rosalina and Greninja's case, a new generation of their respective series which is justified because of how long they've been running and changing. That goes for the rest of the Gematsu newcomers too.

Smash Bros to me isn't about the individual characters, it's about reminding me about the diversity and wide selection that Nintendo has in their IPs. Every single one of the first party characters do that, including Rosalina, Greninja and Chrom for the reason I mentioned above. In retrospect, all of them make sense and deserved in. This is the kind of selection that brought us Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth (which in return was a reason that lead to Fire Emblem being available in the west), G&W, ROB, Lucas, etc to the roster, and all of them ended up being fan favorites.

What you think about these characters is one thing (the only character out of these that I even said I wanted to be in and liked was Lil Mac, but I appreciate all the others), but there's no denying that they represent more than just "a character". Smash Bros first and foremost is a celebration of Nintendo's history, and not just individual characters. I really don't want to say this, but say, what do K.Rool and Ridley represent but themselves? Diddy is the DKC rep with a ton of visual nods and design choices that pay homage to the series, and in Metroid Samus is the only character you ever control so I actually do like that she's the only playable Metroid rep.

For one, I owe Smash 4 for introducing me to Mega Man. I owe Smash in general for introducing me to F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Metal Gear Solid (in particular), Star Fox, Mother, etc. IP representation is very important for this kind of game. I already played Animal Corssing, Wii Fit, Punch Out and the like, but I also want these games to be introduced to more people. Palutena is the only stinker in my eyes, even if Kid Icarus Uprising is my favorite 3DS game.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Not really. I think Nintendo made great choices, though they may not be the choices other people would make, you cannot please everyone.

Shouldn't this thread be stickied since it can start getting tensions to a bad level.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I'm very happy with this line up, I like it much better than Brawl's. I really can't complain because at least one of my favorites was in this line up.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm happy with the roster so far, yeah some choices are odd like Wii Fit Trainer and Villager but come on that's not much different from Jigglypuff, Game & Watch and ROB. The third party characters make a lot of sense to me here more so in Brawl, I'm sorry, I liked Snake's move set but I feel like if there was going to be any Konami character in a Smash Bros game I think either Simon Belmont from Castlevania or Bill from Contra would've been the better choices.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Not at all, sure I'm disappointed with some of the newcomers (namely Pac-Man) but that doesn't mean they made bad choices. It just means I don't agree with them. disagreeing=/=bad. Now, if they were to add a character who just doesn't belong period, like say Chef Gordon Ramsey, then yes they will have made bad choices.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't hate any of the newcomers, far from it actually, but nonetheless nobody has really gotten me to jump out of my seat screaming like a kid who just got exactly what they wanted for Christmas. The closest characters to do that are Greninja (who is one of my top five favorite Pokemon and Froakie was my very first, so needless to say I'm rather sentimental with him) and my previously most wanted, Palutena (except the leak and all the following hullabaloo nearly killed the hype I had for her).

Honestly, only one of (or preferably all) the hype three, aka Ridley (who has taken Palutena's place as my #1 wanted newcomer), K. Rool, and Mewtwo, can get me to to bounce up and down with excitement by this point.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I'm very conent with the roster so far, but I still feel as if it's missing a strong character that will become a Smash Bros classic as I would argue Pit did for Brawl. The roster so far is good, but there's no one who's really making me say "wow!"

D

Deleted member

I am among the people who think every character was a fantastic choice. I would also think that daisy should be nothing more than an alt. for peach. WFT is like the Game & Watch or ROB of this game, which is why I think she's great. Palutena has a great design and personality, and the way they implemented her with the powers from Uprising is just perfect in my eyes. Now we finally have a game where Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man duke it out, which is why I love those two. Just look at my avatar. Also, Pac-Man is a gaming icon, and Namco is helping with the game. It would be a crime not to put him in. Greninja is probably the most, if not close to the most popular water starter. Villager is very unique and just plain funny and lovable. Little Mac was a very popular request. Rosalina and Luma bring a new twist to the table and is in my opinion the best Mario rep they could have picked. And Mii surprised me as to how much I would like them. I love how they did the whole multiple fighter type things, and you can customize their attire. It has also been hinted their would be more Mii types, so having a Mage/Wizard Mii would be a dream come true. As for future newcomers, the Gematsu leak comes to mind. Assuming it is true, the only character I would be iffy on would be Chrom, because he would be another blue haired lord with a sword from Fire Emblem. Shulk and the Chorus Men would be great however. So far, this is by far my favorite roster in a Smash game and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I like all the newcomers so far. All but maybe Greninja make a lot of sense; Greninja is a bit out-there as far as being a Nintendo All-Star is concerned. He doesn't have the same recognisability as the other characters, but he was my point-man in Pokemon Y, so I'm happy to see him.

A lot of bases have been covered, but I'm still hoping to see Ridley. Whether or not you like him, he's one of the oldest, most frequently occurring characters in Nintendo history, and is the most glaring omission to the series.

Gravitational23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gravitational23
Personally I think that all of the newcomers are the best they picked so far in any smash.

This is the order of my most hyped newcomers are
1st-:rosalina:
2nd-:4pacman:
3rd-:4littlemac:
4th-:4greninja:
5th-:4palutena:
6th-:4megaman:
7th-:4wiifit:
8th-:4villager:
9th-:4mii:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I've always been an advocate of adding in characters that represent their own series, and I feel SSB4 does a good job with that for the most part while making the characters fun (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac). Pacman and Megaman are also really awesome additions to the roster simply because they are video game icons, and miis were inevitable/expected as they represent the player (and I personally really like how they handled miis, I was nervous they would be some potatohead sort of OP character where you can give them any special move from any character).

Rosalina, Greninja and Palutena I'm a bit iffy on. The extra Mario reps always have a purpose for being in Smash as they represent their own series along with Mario (Warioware, Yoshi's Island and all of the DK games). Rosalina is the first Mario character who doesn't have their own series, and to me she just feels like someone who was added in due to their popularity. I never really expected characters like her, Bowser Jr, Waluigi or Daisy to enter Smash because they're sort of one-and-done characters (and although Rosalina is incredibly popular now, she's not a Mario icon. If anything I would argue Toad deserves a spot on Smash over her).

Palutena's inclusion was inevitable, and I'm glad she was added (despite never having played Kid Icarus or knowing anything about her personality). But IMO what we've seen of her so far is just really dull. Her attacks are not unique at all and the only interesting thing about her is that she's the first slow/powerhouse female character in the Smash series a la Ganondorf. I think my issue with her stems from how little personality she shows in her video/screenshots... it's too "holier than thou," and based on KI pictures I've seen she seems way goofier than that.

Greninja is alright, but like Lucario I don't really see why he was added despite looking cool. I'm sure he'll be fun but I still prefer the Gen 1 pokemon over them.

If we're talking about the Sal Romano leak as well, then I think Shulk and Chorus Men (or whichever Rhythm Heaven rep they go with) are fantastic additions as well. I'm against Chrom outside of being an alternate skin or assist trophy simply because Marth and Ike do a good job representing FE, and I feel there are more unique options if they truly need a third FE rep.

All-in-all I'm really happy with WFT, Villager, Megaman, Pac Man and Little Mac. I just want more Nintendo franchises to be represented, specifically from the handheld generations. Golden Sun, Advanced Wars, Custom Robo and Pushmo all deserve some love.

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
I think all of the choices were good, but I think a lot of people might be differentiating from a "good choice" and a character they just don't like. All of the characters are good choices, even if I don't like all of them (I'm not a big fan of Paluntena, although I still think she was a good choice for the game). Nobody was really a "bad" choice, a bad choice would be one that is not relevant to Nintendo at all or is just completely random (like, say, goomba got in the game- a lot of people would probably like him but he wouldn't be a good choice for a character).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm excited for Villager, and to a lesser extend both Megaman and Pac Man.

But I think my favorite new thing about the roster so far is solo Charizard, honestly.

Plus we still have a few characters to go. We'll see.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There's plenty of reasons for that.

My personal fondness of the roster we're getting so far is that every single character, besides Palutena, represent more than just themselves. .
Palutena in a way represents the power system of Uprising, not just herself.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Mii, Pacman and Villager are the ones i dislike the most. Palutena, Greninja and Rosalina look the best imo. I'm not that hyped about megaman, but that mainly because i never played his games...

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
These posts are basically, "I think the character choices made are "Meh" if the characters I like aren't in or if characters I don't care about are in."
SSB4 has the most diverse characters of any smash game and covers almost all of the most memorable franchises in its history.

I don't understand how any of sakurai and co's choices are bad and I can't think of one character on the roster that doesn't deserve to wear Nintendo colors.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
These posts are basically, "I think the character choices made are "Meh" if the characters I like aren't in or if characters I don't care about are in."
SSB4 has the most diverse characters of any smash game and covers almost all of the most memorable franchises in its history.

I don't understand how any of sakurai and co's choices are bad and I can't think of one character on the roster that doesn't deserve to wear Nintendo colors.
No, maybe they simply don't agree that the character inclusions aren't great, can't see how that is so hard to comprehend. Not everyone is you or me. To use "True Scotsman's Ideology" on anyone that disagrees with you is wrong.

And about the roster, it is good, but could improve.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Pity people are calling Chrom a bad choice before even seeing him in action. The stigma attached to simply holding a sword lives on, it seems.
He's a bad choice because, even if he isn't a clone of Marth or Ike, he was completely unneeded all things considered. It's not as if there aren't dozens of choices that would be a hell of a lot more unique.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Why are people so salty over Palutena? KI:U's one of the best modern Nintendo games, you'd think it should have decent representation, yes, other Nintendo franchises need more chars, but I don't think we're not gonna get at least our DK or Metroid newcomer.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Speaking as objectively as possible and using past Smash games as reference, I've sorted different characters into a "tier"

Nintendo All-Stars + Guests:
:mario64::luigi64::dk64::link64::pikachu64::kirby64::samus64::fox64: - :bowsermelee::peachmelee::ganondorfmelee::zeldamelee::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::pt:*:diddy::olimar::warioc::sonic::snake::4villager::4pacman::4megaman:
Middle Tier:
:yoshi64::ness64::falcon64::falcomelee::icsmelee::gawmelee::sheikmelee::dedede::metaknight::ike::lucario::lucas::pit::zerosuitsamus::wolf::rob::toonlink::4littlemac::4palutena:
Second-rates:
:jigglypuff64::drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::roymelee::rosalina::4wiifit::4mii::4greninja:
Tally:
SSB64- 1st: 8 2nd: 3 3rd: 1
Melee- 1st: 6 2nd: 4 3rd: 4
Brawl- 1st: 6 2nd: 10 3rd: 0
SSB4- 1st: 3 2nd: 2 3rd: 4

The original Smash trumps all with the most true all-stars, at eight, with SSB4 taking last place with three, two of which are third party. Brawl has the lead for most of the "middle tier" characters, but is tied with Melee for all-stars, counting Sonic and Snake. Both Melee and SSB4 are tied for most second-rate characters, with four each. Though as we don't know all of the newcomers for SSB4, it's impossible to judge it as a whole, so not counting the rest of the "Gematsu" characters, it seems to be in the middle ground for characters introduced. So ordering the Smash games solely on the newcomer rosters: SSB64, Brawl, Melee, SSB4. This leaves SSB4 with the "worst" newcomer pool of all the Smash games, based on various observations.

*For the purpose of judging, I used the Pokemon Trainer himself rather than judging his Pokemon separately.
I just can't see how Toon Link (even though I like him) was a more beneficial addition to the roster than Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just can't see how Toon Link (even though I like him) was a more beneficial addition to the roster than Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer.
Or how Wii Fit Trainer isn't an all star.

Last edited:

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
:rosalina:: Rosalina is a great choice imo. She was a character in Mario Galaxy, which were pretty successful games. After that she appeared in many other games as a guest such as Mario Kart, Mario golf, Super Mario 3D world, etc. She became a fan favorite, hence why she got in. She brings something very new to table. The moment I saw that she was going to use Luma as a puppet I instantly knew I was going to main her (Going to go Sasori on people :bee:). My thoughts have not changed. 10/10

:4greninja:: Probably the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon. As someone who plays competitive Pokemon allot I am pleased with choice. Greninja is actually one of the most used Pokemon in the OU (Overused, the most popular tier of Pokemon that people use for competitive battles for anyone who doesn't know) meta game. The most popular starter too decided by many polls. His moveset isn't anything special to me, but Greninja is the only Pokemon from 6th Gen that could have gotten on the roster due to popularity. 8/10

:4littlemac:: Not really sure about this guy. I have never player a punch out game, but I believe it is popular, even in the west. I love the way he is designed to have a great ground game but awful aerial game. Uniqueness is what I really look for in characters and this guy has. 8/10

:4megaman:: A highly requested classic character. His moveset is cool but by what some people have set he is generally underwhelming. I've played my fair share of mega-man games, and I'm sure most people on these forums have at least played one Mega man game. There aren't much third party slots but this guy definitely deserved it. He is one of the 4 most iconic characters in the history of gaming in this game. 7/10

:4palutena:: I don't see why people hate Palutena so much. KI:U was a great game with much success. I won't say that her appearance was not based on the fact that Sakurai made her, because we all know this guy loves his own characters. Her sheer diversity makes her unpredictable. But if the same rules apply with everyone else then online she won't be able to use most of her moves. I highly doubt it though. Her position is similar to.... (8/10)

:4mii:: Miis. I was never keen on Miis being playable, and i'm still not. They are in the same position where they have a huge variety of moves to use and we are unaware of if they will be allowed online. If they are allowed online then my nightmare will come true. I can see myself joining games where everyone is just a Mii. I don't know what they're going to do because of the different moves and because their moves are variations from other characters moves, everyone can just make their ideal character and use Mii forever. 5/10

:4pacman:: See :4megaman: 7/10

:4villager:: I've always like this guy. Animal crossing needed a rep. The first animal crossing was one of the first games I actually owned. I'm glad Tom Nook never got in. I've always hated that guy. Villager has much more potential in my eyes anyway. The moves are really intresting to me. They require abit of time to get used too as people say Villager has a highish learning curve (Not as high as Rosalina though). 9/10

:4wiifit:: WFT is an interesting character. When Sakurai chose her I think he was thinking more about uniqueness and move set potential rather than popularity and demand. I really like the Idea of that. If a character has a good move set then I don't care if they are not popular. Such as why I liked ROB in brawl. 8/10

So besides Miis, I pretty much like all the Newcomers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think that they're bad choices as much as... generally meh. None of them particularly excite me. I've never been more stoked for a newcomer than I was for Pokemon Trainer and I likely never will be again (Especially since Sakurai is doing the thing, getting rid of PT's better Pokemon and keeping the bad one).
Truest words spoken on this forum

It caught me fully off gaurd- I never thought it would happen; I never thought my favorite Pokemon character would be playable, that such an important aspect of Pokemon would be shown off so perfectly, nor that the hidden perfect playable character for pokemon would be showcased so perfectly. It honestly was the perfect character in brawl, from a theoretic standpoint, and literally stole my breath and my heart.

I doubt it will be comparable, but in fairness, I've thought of every character he has implemented, except for Greninja, who I just never thought he would actually consider.

:4mii:: Miis. I was never keen on Miis being playable, and i'm still not. They are in the same position where they have a huge variety of moves to use and we are unaware of if they will be allowed online. If they are allowed online then my nightmare will come true. I can see myself joining games where everyone is just a Mii. I don't know what they're going to do because of the different moves and because their moves are variations from other characters moves, everyone can just make their ideal character and use Mii forever. 5/10
We are clear; they cannot be used online.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The choices are great so far. They just need to keep the good choices going with Shulk's confirmation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom