• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm kinda worried about the "choose your gender for any class" thing, just because I wanted all of the classes from D2 back again in D3.

I'm assuming that the amazon is going to be scrapped now, since we can't have male amazons. I don't know how they're going to make female barbs. I remember in the storyline for D2 that there are male sorceresses, but apparently they don't use ele magic like the female sorcs do.

I really hope sorcs are back, 'cause I was a big sorc fan in D2. I made almost every possible sorc build in the game (except for that ridiculous 200% fcr fb sorc with gear worth like 100 hrs)...
A male sorceress is impossible since sorceress is the female form of the word.

Likely, we will see a pure spell caster, a dex character (rogue in the first one, Amazon in the second), and the barb already covers the straight up fighting. The Witch Doctor will cover I believe necro. So who knows what's left?

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda worried about the "choose your gender for any class" thing, just because I wanted all of the classes from D2 back again in D3.

I'm assuming that the amazon is going to be scrapped now, since we can't have male amazons. I don't know how they're going to make female barbs. I remember in the storyline for D2 that there are male sorceresses, but apparently they don't use ele magic like the female sorcs do.

I really hope sorcs are back, 'cause I was a big sorc fan in D2. I made almost every possible sorc build in the game (except for that ridiculous 200% fcr fb sorc with gear worth like 100 hrs)...
There are only 5 classes in the game, so most likely only one (if any) other character besides the barbarian will return. We'll most likely get a pure caster and a dexterity based ranged class. The last one is up for grabs.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I thought it was discussed that there will be at least 5 classes, but there could be more?

I'm hoping the Druid or similar comes back. I like being a werewolf. Lawl

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Several things:
1.) After watching the videos a bit more, the game seems slower. However, that may be because of bad gear used in those videos. Maybe with enough fcr/fas, the game will be fast.

2.) The witch doctor seems to be really good for PvM, but possibly not as good at PvP.

3.) Who wants to take bets on whether this will be Brawl-esque as a sequel flop or not?

Oh, and I meant a male version of a sorceress (that is, a sorcerer), but it can't work that way with the zons, since a male zon won't work. Anyways, I believe the D2 storylone had sorcerers, but they didn't have the same magic as sorceresses.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I don't think D3 will be like a Brawl-esque flop. Blizzard doesn't have the latest Nintendo mentality of "fair for everyone and let's make it simple!"

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was discussed that there will be at least 5 classes, but there could be more?

I'm hoping the Druid or similar comes back. I like being a werewolf. Lawl
Nope. 5 classes confirmed: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=d3-general&t=47258&p=1&

So it seems as though only the barb and maybe one other will come back. I'm assuming there will be at least three new classes (each filling a certain "niche"). I can't see them going any lower than that without drawing criticism.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The necro was so great for me. I actually created a "War Necromancer," and during my time on Bnet, was the only one I came across, that had just a blood golem, some bone mages, and brute strength. I defeated Diablo with melee combat with that one too.

I really hope they have a class with pets.

br4n

Smash Apprentice
so excited for this. i played d2 religiously for like 4 years. anyone remember botting and waking up to an inventory full of uniques every morning. such a good feeling. wes you better pick this up day 1 with me and play for many many hours.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
so excited for this. i played d2 religiously for like 4 years. anyone remember botting and waking up to an inventory full of uniques every morning. such a good feeling. wes you better pick this up day 1 with me and play for many many hours.
Those bots and hacks ruined D2. I sure hope they put some serious effort toward preventing that from being widespread again. They said they would at the WWI, so here's hoping.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
On one hand, I strongly oppose botting as it really kills the spirit of the game; however, being able to bot in a game says a lot about the game. As fun as it was, it really was simple enough to write a bot for. You just follow a few run patterns to get all the gear you need; trade the stuff you don't need, and all is well.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one kinda thrown off by how...I dunno, bright, the game is?
Well it's only a tiny portion of the game. And there's still plenty of time for them to tinker with filters and what not. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just out of curiosity, did anyone in here besides me actually play Diablo 1? Because it seems like 99.9% of the posters here have only played 2. I always did like the atmosphere better than D2. Too many god-mode hackers though. That kinda ruined it for me.

Sensai

Smash Master
No, I played D1 until it became broken with all the hackers and cheating going about.

And I think I'm with you, EGGMAN, about liking D1's atmosphere more. Well, maybe not the atmosphere, but the way it was done: you were in ONE city for the entire game and it really gave you that feeling of being alone and isolated and against all odds. D2 kinda made it seem like it was a world-wide problem.

/shrugs

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
No, I played D1 until it became broken with all the hackers and cheating going about.

And I think I'm with you, EGGMAN, about liking D1's atmosphere more. Well, maybe not the atmosphere, but the way it was done: you were in ONE city for the entire game and it really gave you that feeling of being alone and isolated and against all odds. D2 kinda made it seem like it was a world-wide problem.

/shrugs
I think it was the unity of the whole thing that made it work so well. Like all the monsters followed more of a demonic, gothic horror theme than than some of the later offerings in D2. Like the cat-girls, blow-dart *******, and mosquitoes didn't really say "demonic" to me. I could never take them seriously. The town had a sort cozy, familier, but underlying ominous feel to it, which I don't think translated that well to the desert/jungle areas in D2. It was just so bright and sun-lit, and almost...cheerful compared to the perpetual night of D1. I think a dark blueish moonlit look for most of the game would be great, or at least for that first portion. Shadowed moonlit forests just says "Diablo" to me. Maybe make the dungeons a bit darker outside of your light radius than in the demo.

Program

Smash Apprentice
Most people have been frustrated by the games new vibrant look, I however am embracing it. But, I remember the nostalgic days of sitting to the darkness of my room and the slow hum of crickets as I slashed and hacked at many a goblin and imp and "Treehead Woodfist!". The dark and eerie atmosphere drew you into the dungeons you were exploring, made you feel like you were actually moving through the darkness. Its going to be a fresh experience for all of us, but hell, wasn't Warcraft 3 different from 2? Hopefully this won't be a horrid approach to one of our most beloved franchises.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Looks like no one gets to return except the barbarian. I CALLED IT!
http://www.diii.net/n/686894/barbarian-will-be-the-only-returning-class
Holy cow I just spotted this thread and I was about to mention this, but it looks like someone beat me to the punch.

Anyway, this is my only gripe with Diablo III thus far: the lack of returning classes. I am going to miss the Necromancer and Druid, but at least the Witch Doctor looks kinda cool? :confused: We'll see what Blizzard has in store for the other 3 classes...

Sensai

Smash Master
Y'know, they stated that the one class they for sure weren't bringing back was the Necro...but that just seems silly. Out of all the classes, IMO, Necro was the absolute worst. To me, Amazons and Sorceresses were CLEARLY stupidly broken...

/shrugs

And they haven't ruled out bringing the classes back completely...they just said, at least from what I've read (not that article), that they're not bringing them back in the core game. Expansions are possible, though.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Anyway, this is my only gripe with Diablo III thus far: the lack of returning classes. I am going to miss the Necromancer and Druid, but at least the Witch Doctor looks kinda cool? :confused: We'll see what Blizzard has in store for the other 3 classes...
Yeah, it seems the witch doctor is replacing the necromancer.

I understand not bringing back classes. It'll be fun to play around with new classes.

Also, how broken a class was isn't going to determine what gets brought back in a sequel or not.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
*downloading the Wizard video from Diablo.com*

^_^

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
heh, heh, a Wizard class is finally confirmed, how interesting, though Necromancer would have been better IMO.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
heh, heh, a Wizard class is finally confirmed, how interesting, though Necromancer would have been better IMO.
LOL! I'll never understand everyone's obsession with the Necromancer. He's not coming back (until an expansion set at the very least, according to Blizzard).

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Necromancers were pretty cool, but Sorcs were the best. I'm glad Wizards are basically modified Sorcs.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This new Wizard trailer is most epic. I actually want to play a hawt Asian chick now.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
LOL! I'll never understand everyone's obsession with the Necromancer. He's not coming back (until an expansion set at the very least, according to Blizzard).

now that you mention it, Druid was one of the best next to necromancer, hawt asian, where's sugar? I see that there will be an expansion set eh? let's hope for it.

jackjames

Smash Rookie
Diablo III

Diablo III is an action role-playing game currently in development and the third installment of Blizzard's Diablo franchise.

jack

online betting gourmet food

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I like how that Skeleton Lord seems to have stolen King Leroic's original dialogue. Also, I'm curious about that duplicating ability the Wizard seems to have.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Psh, the witch doctor is basically the necromancer with a make-over.

Oh, and a wall of zombies.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I predict that the last two classes will be an archer and a healer. I don't know what they'll be called though. Maybe Ranger and Priest.

Sensai

Smash Master
I agree with freeman123, myself.

The original Diablo game had a Wizard, a Fighter, and a Rogue...or whatever they were called. Basically, a magic guy, a sword guy, and a bow girl.

D2 had a magic girl, a sword guy, a holy sword guy, a dead magic guy, and a bow girl. They later added a claw girl and a nature magic guy.

The pattern's pretty easy to see, so I won't continue. I'm expecting a Ranger, or something similar. I wouldn't say that I expect a healer class (because...well, there's no need for one with potions and such) but probably some type of Divine-ly inspired class.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
I really doubt there'd be a healer, it just sounds really un-Diablo. But I'm going to have to agree with Sensai and expect some ranger class (Rogue or Amazon like) or some divine inspired class (sort of like a Paladin?).

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt there'd be a healer, it just sounds really un-Diablo. But I'm going to have to agree with Sensai and expect some ranger class (Rogue or Amazon like) or some divine inspired class (sort of like a Paladin?).
Well with the old potion system being left behind in favor of health orbs http://www.diablowiki.net/Health_Orb I'd say that a healer class could be quite plausible. After all, the Paladin had several healing abilities in D2, and even in D1 there was a "Heal Other" spell available, so it's not as if it's exactly a new thing. Since you don't have potions to give you "infinite" health/mana anymore, healing abilities might be more prominent than in the first two games.

Top Bottom