• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
why are you bringing swords to gunfights

high-tech, bullet-deflecting, laser swords nonetheless but still, sword to a gunfight
They are built to deflect the gun beams. Therefore providing an efficient balance of offense and defense. If Jedi also used the guns, sure they could probably do more at a distance, but they wouldn't be able to defend themselves at a distance as they can with a saber.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
They are built to deflect the gun beams. Therefore providing an efficient balance of offense and defense. If Jedi also used the guns, sure they could probably do more at a distance, but they wouldn't be able to defend themselves at a distance as they can with a saber.
you'd think about 20 soldiers shooting them in a circle would kill a jedi

i mean, yeh, they can deflect bullets with the saber but i think the fact they never got hit is more credited to the fact that a clone can't hit a gogdamn sack of **** the size of a mountain right in front of them. did some of them even take the safety off?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744

i mean, yeh, they can deflect bullets with the saber but i think the fact they never got hit is more credited to the fact that a clone can't hit a gogdamn sack of **** the size of a mountain right in front of them. did some of them even take the safety off?
Stop trying I discredit the force.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
My brother and his French girlfriend have come to visit America. We were watching FOX news to really get the full experience and there was a story about a 70 pound cat who doctors are forcing to go on a special exercising routing. Now we're going to go to Cracker Barrel and test her intelligence, we have sidebets running on how many tees she can get.

Orboknown

Smash Hero

Realizing e that shooting a metal bullet at a lightsaber would cause the metal to melt in their faces.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
no way dude. The bullets would be ****in vaporized, easily. Also storm troopers et al use laser-based weaponry if I remember right, and I dunno what the **** lightsabers are but they're similar enough that the **** ain't gonna penetrate anyway. Or The Force. Or whatever who cares, the Force is cool.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Bringing smart into a movie generally ends bad for your brain.

"2012" will make you wanna choke a ***** with how moronic the science/mayan calendar is there.

Handorin

Smash Hero
You know, I was gone all day yesterday. And I come back today with lots of notices, I look at one of the random likes and thought my account was hacked cause I didn't post that post. Turns out my account was hacked and I didn't post it. Tom did. In 2009.

And I don't even want to know how bad the last 3 pages in dgames are.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
How is it a terrible weapon???
What Washed said, but also, it's even worse than a regular sword. Yeah, it cuts through anything, but it also cauterizes wounds as it causes them. Part of the beauty of swords is that hacking somebody up enough can bleed 'em dry. Lightsabers are only good at killing in instant ways, like chopping off heads, which regular sharpened steel is already good at. And they're only a good defense against laser fire in the hands of Jedi, because they're Jedi. On their own, they would be extremely ineffective. The reason only Jedi wield lightsabers is because they're the only ones with reflexes magical enough to compensate for the weapons' shortcomings.

But they're really, really cool lookin' and the WHOOSH VOOM, so.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What Washed said, but also, it's even worse than a regular sword. Yeah, it cuts through anything, but it also cauterizes wounds as it causes them. Part of the beauty of swords is that hacking somebody up enough can bleed 'em dry. Lightsabers are only good at killing in instant ways, like chopping off heads, which regular sharpened steel is already good at. And they're only a good defense against laser fire in the hands of Jedi, because they're Jedi. On their own, they would be extremely ineffective. The reason only Jedi wield lightsabers is because they're the only ones with reflexes magical enough to compensate for the weapons' shortcomings.

Well, they can chop robots in half and machinery easier than swords can. And for a futuristic world that is pretty useful.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
gg everybody thanks for hosting tom
Pretty decent game overall... UNTIL the mechanical, boring setup talk and NA analysis around Day 679, which really caused the endgame to devolve and essentially gave scum the win, IMO. EE had some really good walls at midgame, but I think they were ignored in favour of a lot of game philosophy BS, which inevitably breeds null reads, bloats the game length, and drives the overall quality downhill. At least it didn't have a theme, happy not to have flavour arguments on top of the setup BS, which would've further clogged out the HBC we needed at those critical lategame junctures.

But hey, got dat Cello lynch, so at least my reads were on form.

Tom's activity as mod was poor at best, would've liked to see a co-mod earlier, much earlier than when Sold finally stepped in.

I think I'll try running the next one, see how that pans out.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC

I think you're missing the core idea here. It's not a matter of which weapons can be practically applied to the most people. It's a matter of which weapons can be practically applied to the individual. Which weapons will be the most efficient in achieving the individual's needs.

In highlander, the immortals die once their head is severed. Therefore, as an immortal, you would want to keep your distance from the other immortals and finish them off as quickly as possible. Firearms and explosive weapons would be the most efficient for their needs. Or really anything that could slow down their opponent well enough for them to strike off their head. In the movie, the immortals didn't seem to be immune to pain and physics. Even keeping a taser gun at one's side seemed like it would have been a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I never said I dislike the movie. I quite liked it. At least the core concept. But there were still quite a lot of plot holes that could have been avoided. This hole could have been filled simply with the rule that an immortal can only die by an honorable beheading by sword. Or even a special type of sword or metal. But they left the rule too open-ended.

In Star wars, well first off a light saber is in no way worse than a regular sword. I'm not sure you realize how difficult it is to use a regular sword especially against multiple enemies. You make it sound as if hacking someone up with a sword is easy. It really isn't. It requires a large amount of strength just to behead someone. Light Sabers glide through their target and are extremely light-weight; thus requiring less strength, allowing more movement, and causing less exhaustion. On top of this they can pretty much phase through anything which is great for the many robots and alien creatures with skin and blubber made out of who knows what in that world. Like what would a sword do against a giant Sasquatch creature. And as I said, they are also made to deflect laser beams which are the projectiles in that universe. If a jedi were instead to use a projectile weapon, they wouldn't be able to deflect oncoming projectiles even with their reflexes and use of the force. You also make a point about how they don't allow for bleeding. That doesn't really matter. They are still more lethal than a regular sword based on the points I made above. Even so, they also allow for the option of simply dis-arming your opponent (literally), which is perfect for Jedi who are primarily non-violent. So yeah the light saber is definitely the most efficient weapon in that world that I can imagine for a jedi.

(not sure if you're jking on this but yeah)

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
no way dude. The bullets would be ****in vaporized, easily. Also storm troopers et al use laser-based weaponry if I remember right, and I dunno what the **** lightsabers are but they're similar enough that the **** ain't gonna penetrate anyway. Or The Force. Or whatever who cares, the Force is cool.
If the saber doesn't melt their skin or face by their holding it near their person, they still have to hit the bullets with it to vaporize anything, like the lasers. Point is, can they take out 20 projectiles flying at them in a circle at the same time?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
In Star wars, well first off a light saber is in no way worse than a regular sword. I'm not sure you realize how difficult it is to use a regular sword especially against multiple enemies. You make it sound as if hacking someone up with a sword is easy. It really isn't. It requires a large amount of strength just to behead someone. Light Sabers glide through their target and are extremely light-weight; thus requiring less strength, allowing more movement, and causing less exhaustion. On top of this they can pretty much phase through anything which is great for the many robots and alien creatures with skin and blubber made out of who knows what in that world. Like what would a sword do against a giant Sasquatch creature. And as I said, they are also made to deflect laser beams which are the projectiles in that universe. If a jedi were instead to use a projectile weapon, they wouldn't be able to deflect oncoming projectiles even with their reflexes and use of the force. You also make a point about how they don't allow for bleeding. That doesn't really matter. They are still more lethal than a regular sword based on the points I made above. Even so, they also allow for the option of simply dis-arming your opponent (literally), which is perfect for Jedi who are primarily non-violent. So yeah the light saber is definitely the most efficient weapon in that world that I can imagine for a jedi.
yes

yes

also, you can whack two lightsabers together without having to worry about ruining them. and they're concealable!

but they don't work underwater. and I know too much about lightsabers.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I was responding to a post and wasn't sure whether 'Weiner' was spelled 'Wiener' or 'Weiner' so I went to wikipedia and put in Carlos Danger expecting it to shoot me to the multiple sub-links page. My face when it redirects directly to Anthony Weiner with this pensive face like considering what he should do as if I just caught him doing the deed.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I think you're missing the core idea here. It's not a matter of which weapons can be practically applied to the most people. It's a matter of which weapons can be practically applied to the individual. Which weapons will be the most efficient in achieving the individual's needs.

In highlander, the immortals die once their head is severed. Therefore, as an immortal, you would want to keep your distance from the other immortals and finish them off as quickly as possible. Firearms and explosive weapons would be the most efficient for their needs. Or really anything that could slow down their opponent well enough for them to strike off their head. In the movie, the immortals didn't seem to be immune to pain and physics. Even keeping a taser gun at one's side seemed like it would have been a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I never said I dislike the movie. I quite liked it. At least the core concept. But there were still quite a lot of plot holes that could have been avoided. This hole could have been filled simply with the rule that an immortal can only die by an honorable beheading by sword. Or even a special type of sword or metal. But they left the rule too open-ended.
Actually, there's quite a bit of tradition that goes into how the immortals do things wrt killing each other. If you recall, there's a rule that says they can't kill each other on hallowed ground. There is no mystical force preventing them from doing so, it's a matter of honor. Even the Kurgan abides by this rule. I don't think they explicitly talk about the use of swords, but I imagine it's very much about tradition. It's how they've always killed each other, it's a matter of skill and honor.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Actually, there's quite a bit of tradition that goes into how the immortals do things wrt killing each other. If you recall, there's a rule that says they can't kill each other on hallowed ground. There is no mystical force preventing them from doing so, it's a matter of honor. Even the Kurgan abides by this rule. I don't think they explicitly talk about the use of swords, but I imagine it's very much about tradition. It's how they've always killed each other, it's a matter of skill and honor.
Alright I dig.

Top Bottom