• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Melee Thread! 10/20 Little Rock, 10/27 San Antonio

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Hey guys. I post regularly on the Dallas brawl thread, but I have recently started playing Project M alot as well. anyone down for a P:M fest some time?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Ugh, a PM fest would be amazing but no one in Austin will have one...

I'm personally getting sick of fighting the same Marths, Sheiks and Falcos over and over again.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, a PM fest would be amazing but no one in Austin will have one...

I'm personally getting sick of fighting the same Marths, Sheiks and Falcos over and over again.
you refuse to play our other characters and choose to not even try with your main. instead you go secondary vs secondary, knowing well that your main has holes that need practice. instead of dismissing the community we've built, just accept that you have no drive to get better.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Daaaaamn, austin going mad hard on...well, austin.

Project M is certainly super cool. Obvi I love melee, but if everyone else is playing PM, then I guess I will too. Peer pressured!

:phone:

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Ok, to save some face for Austin, he's actually from Kingwood. Which is somewhere between Houston and Dallas.

Also, I just found one less person to play smash with while in Dallas.

Didn't that black guy from Austin quit melee too?

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Rohan, I will play you in Project M anytime. I actually like Project M and I will money match you if you really want to play. Doesn't even have to be a lot. Maybe $5 or somethin. Also, I'd be down for a Project M tourney... I'll have to look into the one Zac posted.

OwenMar

Smash Cadet
I'd be down for some PM fest. I doubt I'm tournament ready. I don't play Smash very often anymore, and I'm looking to change that.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Hey guys. I post regularly on the Dallas brawl thread, but I have recently started playing Project M alot as well. anyone down for a P:M fest some time?
The smashfest at my place this Wednesday is going to have project M on the main set up again, if you're free ;)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
you refuse to play our other characters and choose to not even try with your main. instead you go secondary vs secondary, knowing well that your main has holes that need practice. instead of dismissing the community we've built, just accept that you have no drive to get better.
I have no drive to get better in a game where I'm forced to pick a character because my chances of winning or coming close to winning always plummet if I use the character I actually want to use. Marth has never been my actual main, I use him because Link SUCKS.
The PM team is actually putting a lot of effort into balancing out the cast so the same set of characters doesn't dominate almost every tournament.

Rohan, I will play you in Project M anytime. I actually like Project M and I will money match you if you really want to play. Doesn't even have to be a lot. Maybe $5 or somethin. Also, I'd be down for a Project M tourney... I'll have to look into the one Zac posted.
I would be cool with just some friendlies, still trying to improve and get used to all the new mechanics.
But if you and/or Austin wanna play I'd totally be down.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Meh, I might play for fun sometime, but only if it's at a smashfest with melee. I'd like to be able to get some money out of it. #ScumbagJF

Kal

Smash Champion
Drama without me? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Jose, you obviously meant "community Kal's built."

Rohan, you should consider just playing Link instead. You obviously don't give a **** about improving with Marth. Better to improve with a low tier than be stuck not improving with a character you hate. Also, unless you have some serious ambition to place well in tournament, using a low tier isn't going to make a difference anyway.

Have you considered using a non-suck character that isn't Marth? I hear Fox is pretty fun.

MT_

Smash Ace
Rohan's natural limitations don't allow him to play a technical character like Fox. I'm pretty sure he's said it before somewhere. That's why he has to play Marth and he won't play Sheik because she's too gay. But most importantly Link's technical barrier isn't very high he just can't place well and gets ***** by everyone so he's no fun to use. Unfortunately the same is true for Rohan's Marth so it's still no fun to play for him.

In other words, it's no fun to play if you're only getting ***** because he doesn't want to improve for the reasons: 1) it's impossible with Link and 2) Marth isn't his main so it doesn't matter to him. In conclusion, melee is no fun for Rohan anymore which is why I suggested he quit melee altogether.

But instead he keeps trying to get us to play Project M thinking that because it's a better game we'll drop melee and play PM instead. And when we tell him we're not interested or we don't like it, he portrays himself as a victim to a community of close-minded people, when the truth of it is that we just like melee better, whether or not it is because we're used to it or because we don't see a modded game developing a tournament scene as good as melee's, or whether we simply don't like it at all and don't want to take the time to learn the
nuances
of a new game.

tl;dr - Lots of johns about not wanting to get better at melee; PM = atheism and melee = christianity (we're all religious nuts holding onto melee in Rohan's POV)

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, you don't need to actually be technically proficient to play Fox. There is this misconception that you need to actually L-Cancel. You can surpass three of the four members of the Elite Four by just dash dancing and uthrowing into bair or uair. **** Venusaur.

I think we would all be willing to try Project:M. After seeing the demo for the new beta, I'm actually pretty interested. It looks much more polished than the one AustinRC was demoing for us. It's just silly to expect anyone to take it that seriously right now. It's a beta for a modded game. >_>

OwenMar

Smash Cadet
Rohan's natural limitations don't allow him to play a technical character like Fox. I'm pretty sure he's said it before somewhere. That's why he has to play Marth and he won't play Sheik because she's too gay. But most importantly Link's technical barrier isn't very high he just can't place well and gets ***** by everyone so he's no fun to use. Unfortunately the same is true for Rohan's Marth so it's still no fun to play for him.

In other words, it's no fun to play if you're only getting ***** because he doesn't want to improve for the reasons: 1) it's impossible with Link and 2) Marth isn't his main so it doesn't matter to him. In conclusion, melee is no fun for Rohan anymore which is why I suggested he quit melee altogether.

But instead he keeps trying to get us to play Project M thinking that because it's a better game we'll drop melee and play PM instead. And when we tell him we're not interested or we don't like it, he portrays himself as a victim to a community of close-minded people, when the truth of it is that we just like melee better, whether or not it is because we're used to it or because we don't see a modded game developing a tournament scene as good as melee's, or whether we simply don't like it at all and don't want to take the time to learn the
nuances
of a new game.

tl;dr - Lots of johns about not wanting to get better at melee; PM = atheism and melee = christianity (we're all religious nuts holding onto melee in Rohan's POV)
http://i.imgur.com/SahoS.jpg

The smashfest at my place this Wednesday is going to have project M on the main set up again, if you're free ;)
Where will this be at? I'd like to Smash with human players for once.

Kal

Smash Champion
Careful, I hear Sethlon is a grammar nazi. Better edit that post or he won't invite you.

Kal

Smash Champion
Good thing you edited it. I was going to report that **** for being offensive.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
ITT: Matt psychoanalyzes me as a break from hell week.

And its actually an alpha, not a beta, but yeah, I can't do Fox, at least not beyond his generic stuff (shine spiking, uthrow-uair, etc).
And I'm not asking anyone to drop Melee, I'm requesting you try PM more than you already are (MT specifically). I'd ***** and whine a lot less if I had more opponents.
It would be pointless quitting Melee altogether seeing as that I'm getting into a game who's entire engine is based off of Melee. As far as major Melee tournaments go though I have given up on actually placing anywhere of significance. The skill gap b/w myself and most of the tournament-going community is simply too high, and if I were to drop Marth altogether for Link I'd be dealing with ridiculous match-up gaps as well.
I also have no interest in being a "low-tier hero" like Sethlon.
Basically, I won't stop playing Melee for fun, but its more tantalizing to play a game thats based on Melee, with new characters, buffed up low tiers and new advanced techs.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's stupid that you're going to dismiss his point by making a joke. The reality is that he's 100% right about your attitude. It's also funny that you have "given up on placing anywhere of significance" when you've displayed no actual interest in improving in the first place. I guarantee that you'd have some fun if you put some actual effort in and tried an attitude change.

It's absurd that you ask Melee players to try a new game, Rohan. I know you want people to play it, but if it's not in the cards, that's no reason to ***** and whine. It's like you feel entitled to opponents in every game you pick up, whether it's Brawl+ or Project: M. You don't see me asking people to play Chess more, or Edgar asking people to have conversation battles (this is where you rap battle, but instead of having any rhyme or rhythm, you just talk. The winner is always Edgar), because we realize that, even though we enjoy these things, we're not entitled to competition, and it's childish and stupid for us to complain about lack of competition. Either:

1) Find players who want to play
or
2) Learn to enjoy the game you have available.

I promise, an attitude shift, combined with a real attempt at improving, will go pretty far vis-à-vis you not hating the game. If you actually put effort into Marth, you'll learn to like him. You just need a major attitude overhaul. Stop acting entitled to competition from the Melee community in a game that isn't Melee. And stop acting like a terrible sport in response to every loss against a playstyle you dislike. You're not entitled to the opponent playing the way you want anymore than he is entitled to you playing how he wants. I assume you'd be annoyed if Ivan said "you make this game no fun for me. You're not campy enough." And rightfully so, because **** anyone who thinks they get to dictate what you should do on the subjective premise of "fun."

And, for the love of ****ing God, stop going around Smashboards acting like the Austin community is a group of heartless douche bags. Austin is one of the best communities you'll find in this country, period, and blaming the individuals because the group doesn't satisfy the composition you want is total nonsense.

perfectengrish

Smash Rookie
you don't see me asking people to play chess more, or edgar asking people to have conversation battles (this is where you rap battle, but instead of having any rhyme or rhythm, you just talk. The winner is always edgar)
llllooooollllllllll

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
What the heck is going on here. Don't you guys have your own thread >:o

Zac, I can make a thread and stuff. Denti was also asking if Brawl would be there too. Okay to have a PM, Melee, Brawl tourney at FX on May 26th?

Top Bottom