• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Details on Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS Customization Revealed

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
If the weak characters can boost themselves, so can the better characters. The difference being that the better characters will be more equipped to take advantage of those boosts - thus widening the gap, not closing it.

Custom moves, however, could bring a weaker character up. This is all speculation, as we don't know any of the specifics, but there potential is there.
Of course boosting items would not be allowed to all the characters, that would be dumb. Im saying that boosting could be something exclusive to weaker characters. And we dont know what is the variety of equipment we have, but there is a chance of some items being negative to use. For example an item that just decreases any specific stat without boosting any other stat or an item that decreases one stat a lot and does not increase much another stat. We may can use Equipment to nerf top characters, forcing players to use them.

Shog

Smash Ace
Warning Received
PLZ NO MELEE **** RUINING THIS; THANKS!
you have your game already

Negalith

Smash Cadet
So...Let me get this straight, what we got was Mii fighters, and a smash version of Sophitia from SoulCalibur 5? Well, we got Pacman, so who cares!

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Nah I can see this alternate specials being very viable in a competitive setting; especially when there pros and cons to them.

A character by default, can do very poorly against the majority of the roster, but through changing special it can really shake up the match-ups and probably make a character more competitively viable then they would be by default. I mean other games like Street Fighter and Mortal Combat implement different move set options for fighters, i see no reason why smash should be an exception.
Yes, yes, yes. Why do more people not understand this? Customizations create more ways for characters to overcome normally rough matchups or raise themselves on the tier list.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Custom special moves raises a ton of interesting questions for me. How will it affect non-damaging moves like Mario's FLUDD? Will recovery moves have different distance options? Are the two variations just going to be speed/power tradeoffs, or will there be other differences?

I mean, it sounds like we can speed up Fox's shine... *smirk* What might this do for Samus's missles, bombs and charge shot?

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I wonder if we could balance the game as a community with these items???

TheMasterGinta

Smash Cadet
Just saying, I would allow customizable rulesets when I start hosting Smash 4 tournies. This does need extra rules to be made viable though.

EDIT: I'm pretty eh on equippable items though.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Of course boosting items would not be allowed to all the characters, that would be dumb. Im saying that boosting could be something exclusive to weaker characters. And we dont know what is the variety of equipment we have, but there is a chance of some items being negative to use. For example an item that just decreases any specific stat without boosting any other stat or an item that decreases one stat a lot and does not increase much another stat. We may can use Equipment to nerf top characters, forcing players to use them.
Boosting items are going to be banned due to the non-standard nature of them. From the pics, we saw the same items come in differing values, which can make it a nightmare to control.

"Ok, Power glove that grants +50 atk and -10 Def is OK. Power Glove that does not give those values is not!"

The time it would take to check that would be infuriating

TreK

Is "that guy"
Inappropriate for tournament play because you force your opponent to use your own custom settings in the ditto.
Well, too bad :C

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
The issue with custom items in tournements is making sure they are all avalible from system to system. for smash 3ds it may not be as big of an issue. but for WiiU having every single item unlocked for your WiiU, and then having each player go though and pick the items they will need can take may end up taking an unreasonable amount of time.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I am all for custom speacials assuming they are availble as soon as you unlock the character.

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
No Miis online? Guess I'll have to beat up on my buddies locally then. I can deal with using the standard movesets, I'd like to learn those first before playing around with custom movesets. I doubt custom movesets would be legal for Wii U tourneys. If anyone comes out with how Smash 3D is going to work in Tourneys, I gotta know. I would like to play with my own movesets for some characters.

Malion

Smash Ace
Custom movesets will be great... as long as i can see everyones move choices pre-battle. No surprises plz

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
No Miis online? Guess I'll have to beat up on my buddies locally then. I can deal with using the standard movesets, I'd like to learn those first before playing around with custom movesets. I doubt custom movesets would be legal for Wii U tourneys. If anyone comes out with how Smash 3D is going to work in Tourneys, I gotta know. I would like to play with my own movesets for some characters.
If im not wrong you can still use Miis in online mode with your friends, but not against random oponents

D

Deleted member

So, can someone clarify how Palutena works? What I'm getting is that she has custom moves like everyone else; 1 default and 2 custom options. However, Palutena's custom moves are completely different attacks, unlike the other characters who just have moves modified in function. Is that how she works? If so, then that means half of her flashy stuff won't even be usable online...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
So, can someone clarify how Palutena works? What I'm getting is that she has custom moves like everyone else; 1 default and 2 custom options. However, Palutena's custom moves are completely different attacks, unlike the other characters who just have moves modified in function. Is that how she works? If so, then that means half of her flashy stuff won't even be usable online...
yes .

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
My guess is that these types of things will be transferable with either the nintendo network id or the amiibo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm hoping that right at the character customization screen you will be able to select your specials, similar to how you select/input your name. preferably without inturupting other players from picking their character.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Mostly unrelated: Remember how Pikachu left its picture frame and the tail went into Link's frame on the old website? Well, here's more proof Pikachu is going to be OP.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
People shouldn't treat Melee like some sort of religious commandment. And every time I say something like that, I sadly have to add the addendum that I am not a Melee hater, nor a casual. That said, the possibility of adding layers of complexity, and forcing people to adapt and react on their feet should be considered both extremely exciting and 100% compatible with competitiveness, allowing fair rules and assuring that the best player will win. Embrace the possibilities my friends, Smash 4 is going to be a disappointment if you want it to be a disappointment, it's going to be bad if you want it to be. Keep an open mind, this is still smash at its heart and core, it's the game we have played and loved since '99, and you're robbing yourself and the community of a game that hasn't even come out yet, a precious and long awaited Smash title, if you put the blinders and biases on your face when looking at this game.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
BRING ON THE SONIC CUSTOMIZATIONS

like IDK, Fire Homing Attack or something. XD
My guess is side can be a boost, down can be Light Attack SA1 style, and neutral can be Lost World kick or '06 White gem (slower, but pause in air at the beginning to aim your attack with greater range). Up can be a nerfed rocket I guess?

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Hmmm, Mario's special; Fire Orb? Equipped items, overalls,and gloves? Reminds me alot of a certain Mario RPG....maybe we'll see a certain gun-toting star being, hrm?

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
For my mains I am going to keep the moveset default, because I doubt any tournament unless it's a friends basement tournament will allow custom sets. This makes online tougher to practice against randoms, so I'll have to find a steady partner (I know netplay is not the best way to practice), but will be fun to play my Mii online.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
meh, not gonna use this... I think smash is getting way too many altering and costumizable options... This is fun for a few times maybe, but i prefer the way the characters are meant to be...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
meh, not gonna use this... I think smash is getting way too many altering and costumizable options... This is fun for a few times maybe, but i prefer the way the characters are meant to be...
Whats that?
Three special moves? UpB DownB NeutralB
No air dodge
Unreal shield stun
Hit stun counted in seconds instead of frames.

That's how real smashers play!

Angiance

Smash Lord
This ability to customize characters is going to add a HUGE amount of diversity between players; there will be many, many variations technique wise. This is going to help the game stay fresh.

Good bye linearity!

p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4

Smash Cadet
NNID
le-harlz
3DS FC
4227-0851-7533
I trust Namco Bandai to do a good job with the customization features, as they have do expertly so in the past. It's probably one of the funnest parts of the Soul Calibur (and to an extent) Tekken franchise. In terms of how it could work competitively, I don't think it will at all, unfortunately.

grizby2

Smash Lord
eh.. I prefer my smash bros vanilla style. but this will be fun to pull out every once in awhile when goofing off with friends.

Top Bottom