• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Details on Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS Customization Revealed

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Following a major update to the official Smash Brothers website, customization options for the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash 4 have been explained in more detail. There appear to be multiple types of custom parts that players can use to personalize characters, with the Mii Fighters and Palutena having slightly different customization options than the other fighters.

Customizing Special Moves
By collecting custom parts, players can unlock variations of special moves for use on their characters. Each character has three variations of each special attack. This leaves a wide variety of customization options - players who like to tinker will have lots of choice when it comes to fighting style. However, Palutena and the Mii Fighters will not be given these variations. Instead, they have completely unique special attacks to choose from. This may reassure many who thought Palutena's moveset appeared overbearing, as many of the moves shown in her trailer were likely special move variations.

Equippable Items

As seen above, there will also be equippable items characters can use to boost their stats. These items come in three categories: Attack, Defense and Speed. Each item has a tradeoff, however - a boost in one statistic may cause a decrease in another. Mii Fighters will also be able to equip items to change their appearance! Note that Mii Fighters will not be available to use online With Anyone.

Read the full announcement from Nintendo here.

What do you think about these new announcements? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit sees these changes as a cool way to get deeper into the game while having fun in the single player modes. Let him know what you think on Twitter at @TheDerrit!

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Notimeforspace.

No, but this looks awesome and adds more fun to the game.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Well they solved the Miis being inappropriate problem

D

Deleted member

>Mii Fighters will not be available to use online With Anyone.
That's good, won't have to fight Hitler or Goku

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
It's pretty awesome that Palutena gets the same treatment as the Mii's. I'm really curious about what all her moves are, now. :D

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
It's pretty awesome that Palutena gets the same treatment as the Mii's. I'm really curious about what all her moves are, now. :D
She shows off a ton of them in her reveal trailer.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Customization is really cool, though I doubt it will be allowed in tournament. But anyways, it'll definitely be something I will use in the game when playing with some of my friends as Sakurai suggested.

The hint toward Palutena working like the Mii's interests me a lot. I look forward to more information about how that is going to work. We'll see, but I'm looking forward to it all!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Customization is really cool, though I doubt it will be allowed in tournament. But anyways, it'll definitely be something I will use in the game when playing with some of my friends as Sakurai suggested.

The hint toward Palutena working like the Mii's interests me a lot. I look forward to more information about how that is going to work. We'll see, but I'm looking forward to it all!
Nah I can see this alternate specials being very viable in a competitive setting; especially when there pros and cons to them.

A character by default, can do very poorly against the majority of the roster, but through changing special it can really shake up the match-ups and probably make a character more competitively viable then they would be by default. I mean other games like Street Fighter and Mortal Combat implement different move set options for fighters, i see no reason why smash should be an exception.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
If Grooves are allowed in CvS and Multiple Ultras in SF3/4, then Custom moves can be allowed in Smash tournaments.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
The equipment screen was also used in the Amiibo demo (I think). So, Is the equipment menu Amiibo specific?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nah I can see this alternate specials being very viable in a competitive setting; especially when there pros and cons to them.

A character by default, can do very poorly against the majority of the roster, but through changing special it can really shake up the match-ups and probably make a character more competitively viable then they would be by default. I mean other games like Street Fighter and Mortal Combat implement different move set options for fighters, i see no reason why smash should be an exception.
This could potentially change the entire Smash scene... granted we can easily transfer stats and moves from one Wii U to another. I assume that the name feature in Brawl may fill this role.

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
So the online mode seems like strait up smash bros. No miis and no customization. I understand why, but I just got done making some Chrono Trigger Miis...sigh, guess I'll just hope for an unexpected 4th 3rd party character announcement.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If the competitive community doesn't make the kneejerk decision of banning all customization, it could lead to a huge number of competitively viable characters.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I agree to the hope that it will work, don't get me wrong. What it comes down to is how receiving the smash scene is. I know a lot of us will be all for it, which I am like you guys are, but the problem again is the smash diehards, or more specifically the melee purists. If you were looking around on twitter, right after the end of the invitational, there was an overflow of tweets that said "Welcome to Brawl 2" and "There goes the fun aspect of the game." Looking at all of those tweets made me really unnerved because people were so quick to judge and they were saying that since it wasn't melee, it wasn't worth it. I'm hoping that like @ Pazzo. Pazzo. said, it will be easily transferable so that people don't complain about that.

I have hopes for it.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
So! Varying special adds an interesting dimension, are finite and can very likely still be used in a competitive environment. Every fighter will likely have a 'best' combo of specials, or a few viable movesets. This should make tourneys more interesting ...

Beelzeboop

Smash Rookie
All speed enhancing items = melee speed maybe? I have hopes this could be what the competitive scene needs for smash 4.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Thank god no Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Thor, Chuck Norris, Hitler, Penis, or Goku Miis for online. Good job avoiding people getting annoyed Sakurai!

Customization seems great and looks really fun to do! I guess the NPC figures will be used with it as well?

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Can we use Mii's with online friends at least?

Last edited:

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
While the boosting items may have to be banned from tournaments, custom moves seem perfectly fine so far. I'd love to see more variety in tournaments. It'd be interesting if it wasn't revealed right away what moves you'd chosen - you and your opponent would be guessing at each other until the move was used. Then again, other fighting games with customizable moves always have those things revealed before the fight starts, and it may be for the best.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
this should be tourney legal. To all you melee fanatics, just play melee and keep your noses out of smash 4, it's a different game and we can either except it as it is and be glad, or we can force melee upon it and watch the death of something new

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
While the boosting items may have to be banned from tournaments, custom moves seem perfectly fine so far. I'd love to see more variety in tournaments. It'd be interesting if it wasn't revealed right away what moves you'd chosen - you and your opponent would be guessing at each other until the move was used. Then again, other fighting games with customizable moves always have those things revealed before the fight starts, and it may be for the best.
Or perhaps not, imagine that there is a character that is considerably weaker than the top chracters of the game. Boosting items could bring the possibility to give a chance to the weakest characters of SSB4.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
BRING ON THE SONIC CUSTOMIZATIONS

like IDK, Fire Homing Attack or something. XD

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I actually love the idea of essentially customizing your playstyle with the stat modifiers and interchangeable specials. It's a really fresh new take on Smash and will certainly be fun experimenting with different characters and stat changes. I trust that Sakurai and his team will balance it properly so that it'll be viable in competitive play!

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Or perhaps not, imagine that there is a character that is considerably weaker than the top chracters of the game. Boosting items could bring the possibility to give a chance to the weakest characters of SSB4.
perhaps slight moderation on boosting items would be best (such as only letting B- and lower use boosting items)

Can we use Mii's with online friends at least?
i believe so

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
perhaps slight moderation on boosting items would be best (such as only letting B- and lower use boosting items)
Well, my idea was not "free boosting items for all". We still dont know how is this game in therms of balance, but i think that both Customizable Specials and Boosting items are tools that may we are able to use to patch characters.

Last edited:

Draquoir

Smash Cadet
Is it plausible that these modifications could include making Wavedashing, L-Canceling and other techniques seemingly left out possible? Also on the Subject of Mii Fighters. Why not set them to Reggie, Sakurai, Miyamoto, Iwata etc.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
The one thing that makes me totally for this (even in competitive play) and not kind of annoyed by this is the fact that these customizable moves are simply variations of the same thing, all relatively balanced. In the example shown, they have Mario's regular fireball, a faster but less powerful one, and a slower but more powerful one. So while they are relatively the same move, they all have their own uses. It adds complexity to the competitive scene, and it could make it last longer.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible that these modifications could include making Wavedashing, L-Canceling and other techniques seemingly left out possible?
This is continuation to Brawl, i dont really expect any of those melee features returning. If you want a sequel of Melee, Project M is what are you looking for.

Now going back to the original discussion, the boosting items increase and decreases stats of characters, but they dont change the mechanics of the games. No Wavedashing, no L-canceling.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I also enjoy the equippable items a lot. They allow you to choose whether you want a balanced or an uneven character. Take Ganondorf for example. Assuming he's in, he is a horrendously slow but amazingly strong and bulky character. You can choose to make him even more strong and bulky at the expense of his already horrible speed, or you can make him faster at the expense of some of his godlike strength. As far as tournament legal goes, it depends on whether people like the complexity this adds to the game.

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
If the weak characters can boost themselves, so can the better characters. The difference being that the better characters will be more equipped to take advantage of those boosts - thus widening the gap, not closing it.

Custom moves, however, could bring a weaker character up. This is all speculation, as we don't know any of the specifics, but there potential is there.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
As long as people have an amiibo, I don't see anything wrong with custom specials. We can ban individual specials (ones with excessive super armor, etc) if need be, but lets try and not ban everything possible, it makes it hard to re-add things in. Maybe start it off as a side option (custom character, 1 stock, 3 minutes) and see how unfair it makes things.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Wait, did they say every character has three versions of each special? Holy ****!

This could really shake things up in tournaments, if everyone has that many more options now. How would we handle it? Would players have to settle on which versions to use before the set starts? Could they alter them in between matches? So many possibilities...

Also, did they just call Mario's Standard B-3 Fire Orb?

JOE!

Smash Hero
If the weak characters can boost themselves, so can the better characters. The difference being that the better characters will be more equipped to take advantage of those boosts - thus widening the gap, not closing it.

Custom moves, however, could bring a weaker character up. This is all speculation, as we don't know any of the specifics, but there potential is there.
Pretty much this. A character with a separate special could easily jump up in quality. Just imagine say, Mario with normal vs Hover FLUDD

Top Bottom