• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
@ Espy Rose Espy Rose @ SuperDavio SuperDavio and anyone else who wants to join a skype group, if you will add me(annetvaurora on skype) or Loggo89 on Skype then we'll add yall to a group!

Edit: Might not be added until tomorrow though, depending on when yall add us. I've gotta sleep soon and I think he did the same :X

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
The more I play and the more I see customs and with EVO allowing them, the more I think Mac could become a much bigger threat later on in the metagame, should customs become a thing. Maybe I'm just overestimating them, but to me Mac looks like he's got some of the more beneficial ones in the game and they seem to help soften at least some of his weaknesses so they're a little less of a pain. In particular I'm looking at Flaming Lunge (at least better tahn Straight Lunge, right?), Grounding Blow, Guard Breaker, and Dash Counter as they all look freakin' amazing. Not quite amazing as Palutena's, Ganondorf's, or Mario's customs; but still amazing.

Am I a fool to be thinking this?

Last edited:

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
The more I play and the more I see customs and with EVO allowing them, the more I think Mac could become a much bigger threat later on in the metagame, should customs become a thing. Maybe I'm just overestimating them, but to me Mac looks like he's got some of the more beneficial ones in the game and they seem to help soften at least some of his weaknesses so they're a little less of a pain. In particular I'm looking at Flaming Lunge (at least better tahn Straight Lunge, right?), Grounding Blow, Guard Breaker, and Dash Counter as they all look freakin' amazing. Not quite amazing as Palutena's, Ganondorf's, or Mario's customs; but still amazing.

Am I a fool to be thinking this?
not at all. different moves for different matchups. its great for a developing metagame, its just like pokemon

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
I think feel like the tree customs he listed (Grounding Blow, Guard Breaker, and Dash Counter) are unfortunately literally the only ones worth investing in.

Like, his UpB default is mandatory. You rest the KO and multi-hit threat and well as combo breaking that comes with his normal UpB, and while Rising Smash would retain threat but cut your recovery down to literally unacceptable levels.

Guard Breaker is honestly kind of dubious because on the ground it's so slow you pretty much have to catch someone committing to a Smash attack and armor-punish them, otherwise it's pointless. It technically makes your recovery better since now you have an armored sideB to return with, buuuut it's not a huge buff. I guess it'd be relevant against people like Villager. Dash Counter seems great... but I have no idea who you'd use it with.

The one legitimately, immediately tangible, benefitting custom is grounding blow, because you can punish SH aerials and even some full hop stuff which drastically improves Little Macs options for dealing with a wide range of characters in neutral. It's huge. But honestly if that's the best he gets, he's one of the least benefitted characters in Smash from customs, considering people like DK, Ganon, Bowser, Villager, and many others get an entirely new lease on life.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
just figured this out

- use Up B to punish airdodges

for example mid-low % dthrow/dtilt/utilt > SH fair (enemy airdodges) > up B . most characters have about 20+ frames of endlag on airdodge and up B hits on frame 3.

pretty useful. the upb hitbox hits a little bit under you and just a tiny bit behind you too.

Dexmaster

Smash Cadet
just figured this out

- use Up B to punish airdodges

for example mid-low % dthrow/dtilt/utilt > SH fair (enemy airdodges) > up B . most characters have about 20+ frames of endlag on airdodge and up B hits on frame 3.

pretty useful. the upb hitbox hits a little bit under you and just a tiny bit behind you too.
That actually sounds useful. I'll bet he has some other baiting tactics.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1

ledge trump to jolt haymaker for the kill. (make sure they are at kill range!)'

as far as other ledge trump shenanigans go, this is the only option that is guaranteed to connect.

i dont wanna double post so here:

midair lunges go farther than any side B. fire lunge charges in about 2 seconds.
if your second jump has been expended, this may be your only option. you must land on the stage as lunge does not snap the ledge. the gif shows close to the max distance you must be to land on the stage.

Last edited:

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I've had so many things going on lately, and sadly my activity in the Mac boards suffered for it. Snow storms made my work place become a mad house and each day was a nervous breakdown and physical pain. Things are back to normal with that now, so I'll try to be more involved again.
On the other hand, I'm co-hosting a tournament in April and on Staff for a larger tournament in June, so my plate is a little full with preparation for these and the number of other responsibilities I have x.x. It's going to be a balancing act.

How has everyone been? Anyone been to any tournaments lately or been up to anything new?

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Anyone else interested in joining our skype chat?
Given how i just picked up Mac as one of my secondaries and i like how he plays (and how you gotta play a good defensive game to do well with him), i would like to be added if you guys are interested. : 3

ledge trump to jolt haymaker for the kill. (make sure they are at kill range!)'

as far as other ledge trump shenanigans go, this is the only option that is guaranteed to connect.

i dont wanna double post so here:

midair lunges go farther than any side B. fire lunge charges in about 2 seconds.
if your second jump has been expended, this may be your only option. you must land on the stage as lunge does not snap the ledge. the gif shows close to the max distance you must be to land on the stage.
Wait, so Jolt Haymaker Ledge Trump is guaranteed to hit? Dang.

Woah, so it basically works like Ike's Side B. I didn't know any of his custom moves made him move better in the air, dang.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Wait, so Jolt Haymaker Ledge Trump is guaranteed to hit? Dang.
yes, it is macs only trump option

Woah, so it basically works like Ike's Side B. I didn't know any of his custom moves made him move better in the air, dang.
no not really, as it must be fully charged. anything less will result in your own death. lunge would be so amazing if it charged like ike's side b though

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm an Ike main and I have serious anxiety when going up against Little Mac. Anybody wanna play sometime? Trying to get matchup practice in.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I'm an Ike main and I have serious anxiety when going up against Little Mac. Anybody wanna play sometime? Trying to get matchup practice in.
I believe we tried to plan a time to play once in the past. If you'd like, this Sunday afternoon I can play some matches against you. Just let me know.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Whenever I get a kill, I almost always like to do a Side Taunt right after. The taunt itself is pretty lame and I wish they gave him a more creative animation, but I just love hearing Doc Louis say "Let em' have it, Mac!". Unfortunately, I can rarely get him to say it since the chance is random.

Speaking of Doc, I also wish he made an appearance in Palutena's Guidance conversation when Pit's facing Mac. I mean, they can put Chrom in Robin's, but not Doc in Little Mac's? What gives?

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Hey Everyone, I'm new to this site, I joined because i wanna git gud with Mac, Some people have said to me i'm a dangorous Mac but i feel i could do better, do any of you guys got any tips for me?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Hello Little Mac's! My actually name is Unknown Hero and I just would like to say......

Sup? :)

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Anyone else interested in joining our skype chat?
Sure ill join. Zodiacx10

Whenever I get a kill, I almost always like to do a Side Taunt right after. The taunt itself is pretty lame and I wish they gave him a more creative animation, but I just love hearing Doc Louis say "Let em' have it, Mac!". Unfortunately, I can rarely get him to say it since the chance is random.

Speaking of Doc, I also wish he made an appearance in Palutena's Guidance conversation when Pit's facing Mac. I mean, they can put Chrom in Robin's, but not Doc in Little Mac's? What gives?
i wish his side was him flexing his arm and winking while looking towards the screen kinda like super macho man in punch out wii

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Nah, It's actually a good taunt when you think about it. In the taunt, he is use his right hand to check his pulse on his left (through the glove some how) and then physics him self up cause he knows his alright. A pretty go taunt to use after you have been KO or just KO someone.
Alos, you have to give Chrom some slack. After all the crap he has gotten after Robin's real, he kind of deceivers this. Even still, he gets crap from Viridi and Palutena in it. Trust me on this, I hand in the Robin thread, I know.

I am more disappointed they didn't talk about C.Falcons Falcon Punch in his conversation.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Nah, It's actually a good taunt when you think about it. In the taunt, he is use his right hand to check his pulse on his left (through the glove some how) and then physics him self up cause he knows his alright. A pretty go taunt to use after you have been KO or just KO someone.
Alos, you have to give Chrom some slack. After all the crap he has gotten after Robin's real, he kind of deceivers this. Even still, he gets crap from Viridi and Palutena in it. Trust me on this, I hand in the Robin thread, I know.

I am more disappointed they didn't talk about C.Falcons Falcon Punch in his conversation.
Actually people get his side taunt confused all the time...but im here to tell you what he is really doing :p

go into training mode and zoom in to mac. you'll see that he is tightening his right boxing glove with his teeth. (you can tell because you can see the string...its small but when you zoom in and slow it down you can see it)

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Actually people get his side taunt confused all the time...but im here to tell you what he is really doing :p

go into training mode and zoom in to mac. you'll see that he is tightening his right boxing glove with his teeth. (you can tell because you can see the string...its small but when you zoom in and slow it down you can see it)
Oh my gods, you're right. I never notice that. The taunt makes even more sense now. it's GENIUS!

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Oh my gods, you're right. I never notice that. The taunt makes even more sense now. it's GENIUS!
i like using it after i get gimped early. its like Mac thinking "alright...playtime is over...I'm serious now" or he could be thinking "alright...i can still bring this back"

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
i like using it after i get gimped early. its like Mac thinking "alright...playtime is over...I'm serious now" or he could be thinking "alright...i can still bring this back"
Now it's is offical. This is the, if not one, of the best taunts in Smash 4.

wm1026

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone! I was in top 10(out of 37) on smash studios weekly online tournament tonight. I was in the first match on stream and ended up playing xivik. I played little Mac the entire tourney and I came here to ask if anyone would mind watching my matches and giving me pointers?

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
little mac 150% rage kill percentages. just for reference

these were all tested on bowser in the middle of FD unless stated otherwise.

Power Uppercut (regular upb) 85%

Straight Lunge Uncharged (ledge) 70%

Rising Smash (custom up b 3) 42%

Fsmash 75%

usmash 75%

u fsmash 80%

full SL 37

full fsmash 40

full usmash 40

ko punch 14

bthrow (ledge) 115

ko punch on jiggz 7%

stun lunge 80%

fire straight 125%

i'll do 100% later on. just wanted to see the difference of max rage on these moves. at 0% rising smash kills bowser at 65% and KO punch at 30%.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
little mac 150% rage kill percentages. just for reference

these were all tested on bowser in the middle of FD unless stated otherwise.

Power Uppercut (regular upb) 85%

Straight Lunge Uncharged (ledge) 70%

Rising Smash (custom up b 3) 42%

Fsmash 75%

usmash 75%

u fsmash 80%

full SL 37

full fsmash 40

full usmash 40

ko punch 14

bthrow (ledge) 115

ko punch on jiggz 7%

stun lunge 80%

fire straight 125%

i'll do 100% later on. just wanted to see the difference of max rage on these moves. at 0% rising smash kills bowser at 65% and KO punch at 30%.
I was actually about to start testing this today, and you beat me to it lol. This is great information to have, thank you for the research! I plan to test when his kill moves kill at 4 different rage stages, including his custom moves (something I don't believe we have any info on in the moveset thread >.<). It's something I wish I had before now. Would have come in handy during tournaments.

Edit: I'm actually going to wait until after patch changes

Last edited:

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
I was actually about to start testing this today, and you beat me to it lol. This is great information to have, thank you for the research! I plan to test when his kill moves kill at 4 different rage stages, including his custom moves (something I don't believe we have any info on in the moveset thread >.<). It's something I wish I had before now. Would have come in handy during tournaments.

Edit: I'm actually going to wait until after patch changes
custom moves are the future; rising smash tho x_x

im on the fence about it. the only reliable setup for it is sh dair > trip. is the early kill potential worth it over the recovery? KO punch is already the best early killer, do we need another

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
I'm a Mac main and I think I'm pretty good with him but sometimes I feel like I'm being too predictable even if I'm winning with him. Any tips on what to do to mix up my gameplay a bit?

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
I'm a Mac main and I think I'm pretty good with him but sometimes I feel like I'm being too predictable even if I'm winning with him. Any tips on what to do to mix up my gameplay a bit?
you got any vids?

anyway heres a trick you can do with flame straight.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
custom moves are the future; rising smash tho x_x

im on the fence about it. the only reliable setup for it is sh dair > trip. is the early kill potential worth it over the recovery? KO punch is already the best early killer, do we need another
Dude, I just discovered rising smash last week. Omg is it sweet x.x that 55%kill potential.
It seems to me that the recovery distance is the same as standard up b, but the start up lag causes you to drop down a bit before you go up, causing you to have to time it differently. It also seems to have a larger/better ledge sweet spot. This is just what I've gathered from my time using it though :/.
You're right though, do we really need another early killer? That is a huge question...

Top Bottom