• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

Vega4993

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vega4993-2.0
3DS FC
1779-1926-3986
Do you feel Mac's F-Smash upward has more knock-back on shield? idk if its the same or more than the other F-Smashes

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
During friendlies, especially friendlies with people I'm not used to playing, I mix things up a bit regarding K.O. Punch. When I get my K.O. Punch, I'll either look for an effective way to use it, or I'll hold onto it and study how their gameplay changes when they know I have it. Sometimes I'll even mention it, to make sure they are aware that I have it, and see how they react (sometimes I'll hold onto it indefinitely just for this purpose). I feel that studying in this way helps me to learn more, not only on how to beat or land a K.O. punch on that person, but to recognize the signs of how people I'm not used to playing react to the K.O. punch faster, and then play accordingly to take advantage of that.
There are so many ways people have reacted to it, but usually I find that it can be categorized into these 4 groups. They can get nervous and make a bunch of mistakes, they don't understand the mechanic and try to figure it out mid match, it can make them actually play better and stay focused, and sometimes they get more aggressive and simply keep pressure.

Do you feel Mac's F-Smash upward has more knock-back on shield? idk if its the same or more than the other F-Smashes
I feel it does, though I have no idea if it actually does or not. Perhaps it has a small windbox? I might test it a bit.

On that note, I plan to do quite a bit of research and testing in the next week so that I can update the Moveset Thread(ITS WINTER AND IM STUCK INSIDE Q_Q).

Last edited:

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
wow this just made me realize how sparingly i use the KO punch (its not that I ignore it, just moreso not having the oppurtunity and therefore i dont rely on it). im gonna practice it too

lol i dont rely on it either but they sure even up/put Mac in a lead in a pinch. he's strong enough though so..ehh. lol

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
They can get nervous and make a bunch of mistakes, they don't understand the mechanic and try to figure it out mid match, it can make them actually play better and stay focused, and sometimes they get more aggressive and simply keep pressure.
or play super defensively and hope you whiff. or sometimes they are misinformed and they think that it will time out

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Why does no one use Pivot Fsmashes?

EDIT:oops post the same thing again*
i think its just people not doing pivoting at all.

the reason i dont do it is simply because im too used to playing like snake. where i just slowly walk around so i can use my tilts. pivoting requires me to dash, which i am not used to.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
^ I'd Like for Samurai to patch the K.O punch to hit confirm when I turn around -> K.O Punch, especially after a shield drop. it seems like no matter how close they are when I do that the windbox just blows them away smh
just tested it. a turnaround KO punch will always does a windbox. you have to wait until mac is finished with the turnaround animation and is in neutral stance again. so what you do is jump cancel it. jump cancelling the turnaround ko punch will result in a hit!

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Why does no one use Pivot Fsmashes?

EDIT:oops post the same thing again*
I rarely pivot smash. If I'm dashing away I'm giving up stage control and it's really rare that someone would actually chase after me. If I'm dashing in people will generally grab me because they are expecting a dash attack and just go for that by default when I try to run pass them.

Really depends on stage, character, and opponent's playstyle.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
i just figured out why KO punch has a windbox.

its so if theyre right in front of you, the windbox pushes them to where little mac will be when he takes that huge step forward.

did some more testing. this time with applications for aerial buffered KO punch.

from hanging on the ledge you can do ledge release > double jump > dair/2 nairs > KO punch onto the stage.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
not sure if this is a known fact already, but i just found out that you can b-reverse the KO Punch . but from my tests only jump-cancelled and aerial-buffered (and walljump buffered) were reversable.

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
I rarely pivot smash. If I'm dashing away I'm giving up stage control and it's really rare that someone would actually chase after me. If I'm dashing in people will generally grab me because they are expecting a dash attack and just go for that by default when I try to run pass them.

Really depends on stage, character, and opponent's playstyle.

yes very true, you just gave me an idea for a video to btw

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to elaborate soon, but I think that Sonic is a stupid af MU. The guessing games are real in this.
i think its just people not doing pivoting at all.

the reason i dont do it is simply because im too used to playing like snake. where i just slowly walk around so i can use my tilts. pivoting requires me to dash, which i am not used to.
well i mean from like a long run, not just short dashing

EDIT:

Last edited:

HeyNiceShoes

Smash Rookie
Please read before posting:

Im a Little Mac main, and i realize glory is a little slower and laggier etc. Im not claiming to be amazing. I just want competetive friends because i want to start doing tournies.

I havent played for 3 weeks but ill start again because this website got me all pumped up because of the community and threads. So thanks guys :). Send me a friend request on Wii U for HeyNiceShoes if youd like to pla
y.

HeyNiceShoes

Smash Rookie
Also btw thats glory. And again yes i realize its not as impressive because of lag issues. I just really want to do tournies and get my little mac out there now since im settled in my new job

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
i know little mac doesnt have much options when it comes to ledge guarding or trump shenanigans but let it be known that you can do a buffered wall jump by releasing the ledge and immediately tapping forward (like a smash attack). so it would be back>forward real quick on your analog stick. you don't even have to press back again like you would normally do for a walljump, as it is buffered.

only on big block/wario-ware styled stages of course

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
@ Venks Venks , would you happen to have any tips regarding the Lucina or Marth (Lucina especially) MU?
I wrote a bit over on the Lucina board. I do think the matchup is in Little Mac's favor because Lucina lacks an effective way to pressure Little Mac into shield and getting the grab. Most of her attacks take too long to finish and leave her pretty punishable on block. Because of this I feel Little Mac wins out by abusing his shield.
If Lucina ever dashes in then you can beat out her dash attack or dash-grab with forward tilt.

Last edited:

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
if you thought that the only way to get a stepped midair KO punch is to aerial buffer then you thought wrong!

other ways i found out
-out of an edge walkoff
-out of an edgedash
(in smash 4, if you dash off the edge (but not during the initial dash animation) you will go into a neat little tumble animation
-out of a platform drop through
-out of a footstool **
-out of a spinning flip (like from a cannon launch or screw attack item)
-out of a cannon launch tumble (after the spinning flip) **
-buffered out of a counter (on both hit and whiff)
-buffered out of certain item animations (like ray gun, etc.)
-out of a kirby/DDD spit (did you know get spit out further depending on the damage difference between the players?) and yoshi egg (you can actually cancel out the jump immediately if you time it right, making it look as if you broke out of the egg via KO punch)
-out of ledge release (useless as you'll die while in animation)
-out of standard hit tumble (but not when you're reeling from hitstun) **

** i'm not sure if these are considered as the same state

the first three are great for stages like Battlefield and DKJ64 where there are platforms near the ground and leveled platforms above

whilst on the topic of KO punch, you cannot KO punch someone out of their initial shield break tumble. Be patient and wait for them to land first. this happened to me a few days ago, i thought it was going to be the greatest thing ever, but fortunately i still got the kill as the windbox pushed them off the stage and they tumbled to their death, dazed and confused.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Hey yall, it's not much, but I wanted to throw this out there.
Grab release > Ftilt seems to be a true combo on a few characters, from what I can tell. My brother and I were testing it out the other day, and couldn't find a way to get out of it, though we only tested a few characters. I'm planning to test it today on each character to see who can get out of it.
I like using Dash Canceling Grab > Pummel Grab Release > Ftilt. It racks up about 20%.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Hey yall, it's not much, but I wanted to throw this out there.
Grab release > Ftilt seems to be a true combo on a few characters, from what I can tell. My brother and I were testing it out the other day, and couldn't find a way to get out of it, though we only tested a few characters. I'm planning to test it today on each character to see who can get out of it.
I like using Dash Canceling Grab > Pummel Grab Release > Ftilt. It racks up about 20%.
wow i was thinking of testing that but with all the nerfed grab mechanics sakurai put in, i figured it wouldnt be a true combo.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I know it isn't a true combo on Villager. Not sure who it works on, but it's usually something I'll go for around 100~110% even if my opponent can shield. Cus if they mess up that's a stock gone.

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
Privot tiilts are always a nice way to surprise your opponents. Though, people should use U-tilt more in my opinion. It's a good juggling move. Good thing most of :4littlemac:'s tilts are extremely fast and have almost no lag.

Grab release combos seem to always depend on the opponent's falling speed, doesn't it? Iirc, Villager is quite a light character. Not sure though, it's been a while since I played one.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Grab release combos seem to always depend on the opponent's falling speed, doesn't it? Iirc, Villager is quite a light character. Not sure though, it's been a while since I played one.
If you pummel them, it will be a Ground Grab Release and not an Air Grab Release, so I'm not sure that would apply. I still haven't tested it out yet on all the characters yet. The people who were supposed to help me bailed >.> I'm going to get a hold of them today.

Edit: I went ahead and updated the Moveset thread with some damage % corrections for his Jabs. I also checked all of the %'s listed to make sure they were correct. His K.O. Punch Kill % might need to be checked and updated, I'm not sure how much the 1.0.4 patch affected this. If anything, I think his K.O. punch may kill earlier than the stated %'s, but I doubt that. I may check this in the future, unless someone beats me to it.

Edit 2: After testing the Grab > Pummel Release > Ftilt again, it turns out it's not a true combo on anyone =/ Bummer.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
If you pummel them, it will be a Ground Grab Release and not an Air Grab Release, so I'm not sure that would apply. I still haven't tested it out yet on all the characters yet. The people who were supposed to help me bailed >.> I'm going to get a hold of them today.

Edit: I went ahead and updated the Moveset thread with some damage % corrections for his Jabs. I also checked all of the %'s listed to make sure they were correct. His K.O. Punch Kill % might need to be checked and updated, I'm not sure how much the 1.0.4 patch affected this. If anything, I think his K.O. punch may kill earlier than the stated %'s, but I doubt that. I may check this in the future, unless someone beats me to it.

Edit 2: After testing the Grab > Pummel Release > Ftilt again, it turns out it's not a true combo on anyone =/ Bummer.
Isn't K.O Punch kill Percent still 20?

Also, can someone help with the Roll cancel Grab?
Is that still even a thing?

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Isn't K.O Punch kill Percent still 20?

Also, can someone help with the Roll cancel Grab?
Is that still even a thing?
It's more difficult to do with a GameCube controller (if you use that) than a 3ds in my opinion because of the springs In the L&R buttons. You need to start a forward roll, and directly after press grab (nearly at the same time with a GameCube controller) You'll know you pulled it off correctly when you see a flash near your feet, like what happens when you roll. The result will be a very quick standing grab, with longer range than a dash grab.

I use Y button for grab, which makes things a bit easier.
I may record a video demonstrating it tonight. It would be a good thing to have for reference imo.

Last edited:

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
It's more difficult to do with a GameCube controller (if you use that) than a 3ds in my opinion because of the springs In the L&R buttons.
Definitely.

Yet privot tilts are much, much easier to pull off with a GC controller probably. I've been trying really hard to master the technique but I just can't do the privot Dtilt on 3DS. Is it possible to privot Utilt? Cause I've tried that too but no good results on that either.

The best thing about Roll cancel'd grab is probably the surprise element in battle. :4littlemac:'s Dash attack might be one of the best moves he possesses, the range and the knockback are insane! To mix it into a grab is just perfect.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I realized I said "Dash Cancel Grab" in an above post when I meant "Roll Cancel Grab". Sorry if that caused any confusion ><.
And just a heads up, I am uploading the Roll Cancel Grab video right now...but youtube wants to make it take a year >.> So I will post it asap...

The best thing about Roll cancel'd grab is probably the surprise element in battle. :4littlemac:'s Dash attack might be one of the best moves he possesses, the range and the knockback are insane! To mix it into a grab is just perfect.
I completely agree about the Roll Cancel Grab! When I use it in tournament or even in friendlies, they never see it coming. It's great for a mix up. When they dash in at you, expecting you to react when they're at close range, you have the option of catching them off guard and grabbing them from quite a distance! Using it in a situation like this is so awesome!

I still need to work on Pivot Tilting... I can't get the timing/motion down. It's going to take a bit of work I believe.

Last edited:

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
And just a heads up, I am uploading the Roll Cancel Grab video right now...but youtube wants to make it take a year >.> So I will post it asap....
Excited to see this!

Mac's grabs really make for great follow-up combos. Although I haven't seen much use in his U-throw yet, his D-throw is the one I use most. After an F-throw I usually go for a Dash attack, since :4littlemac:usually pushes the opponent JUST out of range for a nice Ftilt. :/

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Very sorry for the delay guys! Youtube was being stubborn. Here is the video, as promised. It's very poorly done and edited, but at least it shows what it looks like. I would have taken video of the controller input, but I couldn't find an effective way to do that... Anyway, tell me what you think and I hope it helps :x.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It definitely looks interesting, @ LCC Son-in-Law LCC Son-in-Law ! I'm probably dead wrong, since I haven't seen if anyone DID post it, but was the input Dash-Roll-Immediate grab? I have terrible eyesight. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey look, I was kinda right. :bee:

Maybe my eyes aren't that bad after all. :laugh:

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Yo guys, @Alphicans just about got to Top 3 for the Smash 4 Worldwide tournament happening! Took out people like 6WX along the way. He got 4th with Little Mac & Diddy.
Whoah! I hope some videos of his matches are posted later. Idk if there is a stream, but I would be unable to watch it anyway :x. But that's awesome!

Top Bottom