• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of the 3D Remake: Young Link for DLC! (ROY IS SEMI-CLONED! HOPE FOR MOVESET CHANGES RISES!)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's mainly because Toon Link is being treated as a Brawl newcomer, and not a Melee veteran with a different name. (Like how he is in an event match along a couple other Brawl newcomers and how he was listed alongside the Brawl newcomers at the end of the smash direct.)

Lon Lon Milk doesn't really suit Toon Link though. I guess the Elixir Soup would have been a better choice for him.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Toon Link is basically Young Link and we already got people getting their panties in a bunch because God forbid having at least one clone character in a diverse roster. So yeah, no chances for him to return.
I actually never considered him truly gone because Toon Link is his spiritual successor albeit the appearance. Link is in the same position as well, since 64 and Melee Link is not the same entity as Brawl and SSB4 Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah in a sense, Toon Link is as much of a redesign of Young Link as the Twilight Princess Link and Zelda are from their Ocarina of Time counterparts.

Young Link was really only replaced and renamed because it no longer made sense to have him around with the other Link as he wasn't the younger counterpart anymore. (They could have just gone for a "Young" Twilight Princess Link like they did with Sheik but since Toon Link was already a very popularly requested character to begin with particularly in Japan, going for him was just the better option)

But since Toon Link is considered a Brawl newcomer, I guess it just flows differently for him compared to the others.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Well after the Direct Young Link is basically screwed. (Unless he is an Alt.) If you are wondering why. It's because Sakurai said no more transforming characters.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Agree with all comments. Toon Link is Young Link. Even if they did treat him as newcomer, there was a direct replacement that fits him.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I actually really enjoyed Young Link in Melee, probably played him more than Link. I don't know why, but I did.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Ok Well I was bored so I made a Moveset for Young Link and I think its good because its unique in many aspects so I hope you enjoy it! :kirbymelee:
F-Smash= Turns into Goron with Goron Mask and acts similarly to Dillons Assist in Wii U and 3DS games
Up-Smash=Turns into Deku Link and uses 2 flowers send huge Gusts of wind up ward like GAW's Uair but much more deadly
Down-Smash=Turns into Zora Link and uses the two boomerangs to push enemies away a bit like Pac-Man's Down Smash in the new game
Neutral Special=Fire Arrows and I know what your thinking its just a copy of Normal Links but no Essentailly I see it like the Archer Power-Up in Kirby Triple Deluxe Shoot Up to send flurry of arrows that act as meteor smash's shooting downwards etc etc
Up Special=Cucco Lift Sure Cucco is a item but Diddy's Bananas were also items in brawl so no reason why it can't work here
Down Special=Zelda's Lullaby Ok its a sleeping inducing Move like Jiggs Sing but with a wider area to go by
Side Special=Firepower Young Link throws a Stick on fire to the opponent and once the Fire has died out you can use it like a beam sword you can have up to 2 on the stage at the same time
Jab=Links Jab from Melee with a finisher at the end
Side Tilt=throws Deku Sheild out to attack opponents
Dash Attack=Link Dash from Smash 64 but with a upward sword thrust after to keep combos going
Down Tilt= Something similar to Charizards in brawl but with a sword
Up Tilt= Young Link goes on the Sword and kicks upward
Nair=Young Link Spins Sword and Shield around fast hitting anyone on both sides
Fair=an overhead swordstrike that goes downward as well like Yoshi in brawl also can Meteor Smash too
Dair=A sword Spinning strike that goes straight down while Young Link is Twisting like what Impa does in Hyrule Warriors
Uair=Just what Link and Toon Link do for there Up Air sorry I can't think of anything else :crying:
Final Smash=Hero Of Time ok Young Link and the sages from Ocarina beat down the opponents and then Young gets the Master Sword and whoever is hit by Young Link triggers a cinematic where he puts the master sword back in the pedestal while the opponents are on it and sends them back in time Insta KO
Entrance to battle=Riding on Epona but then Epona stops and Young Link falls off while Epona Runs away
Losing Animation=Sitting down on a tree stump with his Palm under is chin while Navi annoys him for losing
Winning Animation=His taunt from Melee

Ok that's it! I really hope you all enjoyed my moveset ideas and if you have of your own please feel free to say them down below! :younglinkmelee:
4cast, Today at 1:08 PM Report

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
^ hmm.....I kinda like that move-set for Young Link if he somehow returned to Sm4sh, the eye-opener was this move-set seems busted compared to Adult Link's xD. Then again I'm not imagining any hit-stun / shield-stun /hit-box / knock-back / start-up & ending lag / or any mechanics that emphasize behind the moves. It'd be cool if Young Link was DLC possibly but Toon Link is doing Young Link proud. :younglinkmelee: as a character was decent in Melee with potential so I'm content with that. Thanks for making a move-set!

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
No problem! at times it was really hard to make a moveset but other times it was easy for what he could do at a Certain Move spot

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I bet! Making move-sets can be time-consuming & sometimes certain ideas for moves are a breeze while some are your plateau peak that you just can't climb over.

K41N570RM

Smash Rookie
I honestly think that if dlc will happen no character is officially denied, I hope :younglinkmelee: Has a possibility of coming back, I liked his character, if he doesn't, just give :4link: His fire arrows as his custom move

SonTabouretski

Smash Rookie
I think he should really he was my favorite character in melee and he was the first and favorite incarnation of link I seen if he is not a character make him a alt costume for toon link please.

Definitely not gonna happen now that transformations are gone.
I still think that the fierce diety link can still work for final smash.

I honestly think that if dlc will happen no character is officially denied, I hope :younglinkmelee: Has a possibility of coming back, I liked his character, if he doesn't, just give :4link: His fire arrows as his custom move
I want DLC in this game it's what keeps the game running good I mean before it didn't matter cause DLC was just starting but Now it does So I think they should have a big update bringing back all Smash Melee Characters (also hoping that DLC is free)

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I defiantly don't see Young Link retuning. I had high hopes for him up until September 26. Maybe a DLC Character???

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
Toon Link is basically Young Link and we already got people getting their panties in a bunch because God forbid having at least one clone character in a diverse roster. So yeah, no chances for him to return.
I actually never considered him truly gone because Toon Link is his spiritual successor albeit the appearance. Link is in the same position as well, since 64 and Melee Link is not the same entity as Brawl and SSB4 Link.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Of all of the Melee cuts, Young Link is the only one who has absolutely no reason to come back.

You could argue a case for the rest (and as it stands, Dr. Mario is indeed coming back).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So what are the chances we'll be seeing Young Link back, a MM remake seems to be inevitable thanks to Miyamoto's statements, he looks like he has a good shot at being DLC.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
So what are the chances we'll be seeing Young Link back, a MM remake seems to be inevitable thanks to Miyamoto's statements, he looks like he has a good shot at being DLC.
If they can manage to do him a shapeshifter (as shown with the transformation masks example), Young Link would definitely be a character I'd be interested in playing as.

But if he were to remain a clone, then we'd have three Links with the same moveset, except with some slight diferences. I don't think anyone would want that. Yes I say the same for Roy. If he'd be yet another clone then it's pointless to bring him back.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't rule anything out now with more than one Melee vet having returned.

I do think he's probably the least considered than the remaining three, unless they made changes/had another gimmick to work off of.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So a guy who correctly "leaked" Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, recently said that Nintendo will have a new game every month next year, and one of them will be a Remaster.

Maybe that Remaster will be Majora's Mask HD/3D.

Maybe we could get Young Link with a MM inspired Moveset as DLC when it comes out.

#wishfulthinking

Waverunner

Smash Cadet
So a guy who correctly "leaked" Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, recently said that Nintendo will have a new game every month next year, and one of them will be a Remaster.

Maybe that Remaster will be Majora's Mask HD/3D.

Maybe we could get Young Link with a MM inspired Moveset as DLC when it comes out.

#wishfulthinking
I could actually imagine a good Majora's Mask Moveset, even without Transforming Characters. Young Link would be like any other Link Basic and Smash Move wise, but his Special Moves would have him using his various Masks in order to attack. His Side, Up, and Down Specials would be based on the 3 Main Transformations (Deku, Goron, and Zora), except without transforming. Y. Link would just put on the mask and perform an attack based on the chosen race. The Down Specials would be based on miscellaneous other masks. Let me show you what I mean.

1. Goron Roll- Young Link Curls up into a Goron Ball (and it looks like an actual Goron is curling up), and starts rolling in place, charging up and eventually rolling forward to ram into enemies. Works like Jigglypuff's Standard Special, except it is slower to fully charge, and can damage opponents if they run into Link while he is charging.
2. Zora Fins- Young Link throws 2 Zora Fins, which shoot of from both sides of him. They work like Boomerangs, though slightly stronger and smaller, and can be angled after they are thrown.
3. Deku Bubble- Link blows a bubble and shoots it forward. It can be charged, and the larger it gets, the farther it charges. It can also be angled. It stuns enemies similarly to Zero Suit Samus' Standard Special.

1. Zora Flip- Young Link somersaults forward and delivers a powerful kick with both feet. It is a viable horizontal recovery, but if Young Link misses the ground, he will go into helplessness.
2. Deku Spin- Young Link runs forward and does a twirl, knocking back any opponents caught in the way. It is fast, but Young Link will fall backwards if hit during the duration of the attack.
3. Goron Punch- Young Link charges forward with a slow, fiery, punch attack. It has great knock back if it connects with an opponent.

1. Deku Flower- Young Link flies up holding 2 flowers, and can temporarily fly freely. Pressing the attack button will make Link drop a Deku Nut that will stun/meteor enemies it hits, while pressing the special button will make Young Link put the flowers away and drop down in helplessness.
2. Goron Slam- Young Link rolls into a Goron Ball, flies quickly up into the air, and slams down onto the ground, similarly to Dedede's Up Special, except obviously without the stars. It can bury opponents though.
3. Zora Barrier- Young Link twirls into the air with a surrounding electrical barrier. The trajectory of Link's twirl can be angled, and it will reflect projectiles.

1. Eulogy of Emptiness- Spawns one of the 4 infamous statues in sequence, which can act as a barrier from attacks. They also each have special properties.
-1. Link: Reflects projectiles.
-2. Deku Scrub: Trips opponents.
-3. Mikau: Stuns opponents.
-4: Darmani: Knocks back opponents.
2. Blast Mask- There will be a short pause, and then Young Link will explode, damaging himself and all surrounding enemies. Unless Link shields at the right time though, then the explosion will only affect enemies.
3. Gibdo Mask- Can paralyze nearby enemies. It has a slow startup.

Fierce Diety- A cinematic of Young Link putting on the Fierce Deity Mask plays, and he transform into it. The Huge Sword and it's lasers send opponents flying.

1. Green Tunic (Default)
2. Red Tunic
3. Blue Tunic
4. Pink Tunic
5. Yellow Tunic
6. Dark Link
7. Kafei (Purple Hair, Brown Tunic with Red Sleeves, Red Eyes)
8. Skull Kid (Skull Kid's Tunic and Hat)

Up: Lon Lon Milk- Same as the Taunt from Melee
Side: Kamaro's Mask- Young Link puts on the mask and quickly does a part of the dance.
Down: Copy Cat- Young Link puts on a mask resembling one of his opponents. For Mii's Young Link will wear a larger version of the Mii Hat for Kirby. For other fighters, it would be made to look like it was made by the Happy Mask Salesman (if you want to visualize it, think of the Mario mask on the Happy Mask Salesman's back for one possible design).

1. Marches in with the Bremen mask, with a line of Cuccos following.
2. Does a Lunge Attack towards the screen with the Bunny Hood on.
3. Puts on the Giant's Mask and grows to a large size.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Using the 3 main masks as separate custom moves. That's actually pretty clever.
I had a similar idea for Ganondorf, where each of his sets would represent one of his abilities.
One would be his current Manondorf set, another would be Magic, and the last would be Sword.

Too bad we still have Manondorf.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd like to be the new owner of this thread, @ IsmaR IsmaR
I'll be sure to update whatever I can that can benefit Young Link's chances and create a support list too.
Request granted.

There's no set list of requirements/things you have to do. Simply add whatever you wish. Compiling some of these movesets would be a good start.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That costume idea works but what if instead the masks worked like a mini final smash? Example: YL dons a deku mask and does one strong move(reasonable damage of course) and then switches back to normal? Either way if we could make him unique i support!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Inb4 his inclusion prompts more complains about clones and "Too many Links." :troll:

I'd like for him to be in only for the sake of giving Majora's Mask some love (Since Skull Kid is out of the running), though there are more deserving Zelda characters to consider like Impa.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Update the OP with a support list and the moveset @ Waverunner Waverunner posted. :D

Could you guys help me with something, I want to add more pros that can help YL's chances to get in as DLC, and this is what I have so far:
1. A Majora's Mask remake that it is inevitably coming soon.
2. Him being playable in a Smash game before.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think a remake would really help him much considering the remake of Ocarina of Time apparently wasn't enough to get him back over Toon Link. (And I doubt the OR/AS remakes will help a gen 3 pokemon much either but that's a discussion for another thread).

I don't really see him happening unless they do some sort of "Melee Pack" that contains all the cut Melee veterans or something I guess.... But that's just my opinion. *shrugs*

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Update the OP with a support list and the moveset @ Waverunner Waverunner posted. :D

Could you guys help me with something, I want to add more pros that can help YL's chances to get in as DLC, and this is what I have so far:
1. A Majora's Mask remake that it is inevitably coming soon.
2. Him being playable in a Smash game before.
Three different links in the time line with young link the third. His moveset is unique. Popular enough And that's all i got.

D

Deleted member 269706

I feel like if Ninty decides to do a MM remake sometime soon, introducing Young Link as DLC would be an excellent selling point.
Buy Majora's Mask Remake, get Young Link as DLC in Smash Bros 3DS absolutely free!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I feel like if Ninty decides to do a MM remake sometime soon, introducing Young Link as DLC would be an excellent selling point.
Buy Majora's Mask Remake, get Young Link as DLC in Smash Bros 3DS absolutely free!
I would be completely fine with this!

Top Bottom