• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of the 3D Remake: Young Link for DLC! (ROY IS SEMI-CLONED! HOPE FOR MOVESET CHANGES RISES!)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's mostly going to be "ZOMG WHAT!? 3 LINKS?"

The stigma of being a 3rd Link is what really hurts him. Also, this guy :4tlink:really did a number on ruining his chances.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
not popular
It's kinda funny yet sad how the Hero of Time is one of the most beloved characters in the series. Yet apparently a bunch of people hate his guts whenever it comes to games like Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors.......

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Toon link
reps
not impa/ganon etc
not popular
clone

Just a few

Try asking true blue warrior
Hm, those two never suck out to me as good arguments to why Young Link shouldn't be in Smash Bros. More just excuses really. Though the others you have a point on.

It's kinda funny yet sad how the Hero of Time is one of the most beloved characters in the series. Yet apparently a bunch of people hate his guts whenever it comes to games like Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors.......
Irony at it's finest.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Also, I think you forgot to add my name in the support list. I've been supporting YLink for a long time now.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
yeas i support

though i highly doubt hed make it, if he did, thatd be awesome, and theres always a chance

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Young Link is my favourite incarnation of Link, I don't even care if he's a clone. I would love to see him return, the Hero of Time needs to come to Smash.

And I personally believe all veterans except maybe Snake and Ice Climbers have a good chance of returning.

Sakurai hates cuts and we already have 2 confirmed and 1 leaked to be returning (That 1 being a third clone).

Also does anyone know how well Young Link sold in Hyrule Warriors? I especially want to know how he did in Japan since I believe characters are sold separately.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What a long day was it for me to argue yesterday, certainly was a nice exercise for me to get my brain shaking, definitely using my rating for the OP.

@ NintenRob NintenRob I don't think Nintendo will share the sales of that.
Checked Google, and nothing appeared.

Slackinatr

Smash Rookie
I think that this might be a good moveset:

Down Special: I have to get this out of the way before anything else. It's unlikely, but his Down Special could be he puts on the Deku Mask, Goron Mask, or Zora Mask, or takes the masks off entirely. This would greatly alter the way he played and be able to make him hard to predict. On to everything else!

Entrance: Comes in with Song of Soaring effect.

Jab:
Regular: Three slashes with his sword, similar to Link and Toon Link's.
Deku: Three very weak punches.
Goron: Three powerful punches, the third one with pretty good knockback.
Zora: Two slashes with the boomerangs on his arms. Low knockback.

Forward Tilt:
Regular: Puts on the Bremen Mask and marches forward with chicks behind him.
Deku: A weak punch with more reach than the jab.
Goron: A punch with good reach.
Zora: A slash with more reach than the jab.

Up Tilt:
Regular: Puts on the Bunny Hood, hops up a bit, then slashes.
Deku: Another weak punch, similar to Mario's up tilt.
Goron: Another punch, but upward.
Zora: An upward-facing slash using both arms.

Down Tilt:
Regular: Puts on Kamaro's Mask and does part of the dance. Hits low.
Deku: A weak kick that can hardly do anything.
Goron: ANOTHER PUNCH, lower and in front of him, similar to Wario's.
Zora: Two slashes. The first chains into the second.

Sorry, but the tilts were kind of repetitive. Onto aerials!

Nair:
Regular: Puts on the Blast Mask and explodes.
Deku: He spins around with his arms outstretched, similar to Ness's nair.
Goron: He curls into a ball and spins, similar to Sonic's nair.
Zora: He slashes with both arms at the same time, one on each side.

Up Air:
Regular: Puts on Captain's Hat and causes Stalchidren to go upwards and attack.
Deku: He throws a Deku Nut upwards, temporarily stunning the opponent.
Goron: A single upward punch.
Zora: Same as up tilt.

Down Air:
Regular: Same as Up Air, but downwards.
Deku: Throws a Deku nut downward that can spike and stuns the opponent.
Goron: Curls into a ball and goes downward, similar to Bowser's.
Zora: Same as up tilt and up air, but facing downwards.

Fair:
Regular: Same as Up Air, but forwards.
Deku: Throws a Deku Nut forward.
Goron: A forward facing punch.
Zora: A slash in front of him with both arms.

Bair:
Regular: You guessed it! Same as Up Air, but backwards!
Deku: You guessed it again! He throws a Deku Nut behind him!
Goron: And again! A punch behind him!
Zora: You guessed all of them! A backwards slash with both arms!

The aerials are also pretty repetitive... Smash attacks!

Side Smash:
Regular: Puts on the Giant's Mask and slashes in front of him.
Deku: Swings a Deku Stick in front of him.
Goron: A strong punch, this time enveloped in fire.
Zora: Throws out the boomerangs a small distance.

Up Smash:
Regular: Puts on Keaton Mask and summons a Keaton that attacks above him.
Deku: Swings a Deku Stick above him. Similar to Villagers Up Tilt.
Goron: An upward punch enveloped in fire.
Zora: Throws out the boomerangs a small distance upwards.

Down Smash:
Regular: Puts on Garo's Mask and causes a Redead to appear on either side of him, dancing, and attack.
Deku: Two low swings of a Deku Stick, one on each side.
Goron: Same as above, but with fire punches and less reach.
Zora: Throws out the boomerangs a small distance on both sides.

Now, onto the specials excluding Down Special:

Side Special:
Regular: Puts on the Postman's Hat and throws an envelope.
Deku: Does the spinning sword thing.
Goron: Basically Sonic's, but slower and gets faster as it goes on.
Zora: Throws the two boomerangs. Can be angled.

Up Special:
Regular: Puts on Don Gero's Mask and frogs appear and push him up.
Deku: A Deku Flower appears and Link dives into it and then pops back out, flying with flowers.
Goron: Punches below him so hard that it propels him upward a bit.
Zora: Goes flying upwards with the Magic Barrier.

Dash Attack:
Regular: Same as Link's
Deku: Does a sword spin that has less distance than his side Special.
Goron: Curls up into a ball and rolls less distance than his Side Special
Zora: Runs forward then slashes with both arms in front of him.

I'll leave Taunts and Victory Animations to your imagination. So, tell me what you think! Sorry about the long post, but if you feel like one of the moves should be different, just let me know!

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind if he's in. A "spacie" Link (i.e. fastfaller + fast dasher) would be pretty cool, especially as a contrast to slow but heavy Link and fast but floaty Link. If they kept his Melee moveset but buffed (i.e. rapid jab, aerials and their properties, etc.) he would be good to go. I guess they could replace his default and side specials with something else from his games (not a big LoZ guy so I don't know any of the moves they could use) to make him more distinct.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I would love it if they treat him like Dr.Mario and take over his Melee moveset, especially his back aerial kick and the wall jump. He'd be different enough from Link and Tink.

LemmyKoopa

Smash Rookie
I would love it if they treat him like Dr.Mario and take over his Melee moveset, especially his back aerial kick and the wall jump. He'd be different enough from Link and Tink.
Oh, the wall jump was amazing! I also want the masks moveset though.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Oh, the wall jump was amazing! I also want the masks moveset though.
The masks would be cool, but it wouldn't be the Young Link we know from Melee anymore. And it wouldn't be possible, because transformations are too hard to handle for the 3DS, that's probably why Sheik and Zero Suit Samus (and Charizard to a lesser extent) are seperated now.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, what do you think of this moveset idea.

Young Link keeps his B moveset from Melee with some changes but has Hyrule Warriors A moveset instead of his melee moveset, making Young Link a semi clone sort of like Falco.

I have come up with a basic moveset list if you guys want to see it.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well, here it is, thought there are still a few things I am uncertain about. I'll put a ? next to the ones I still need to finalise.

Young Link Hyrule Warrior’s Moveset

Stats – His weight, speed movement and possible power is similar to that of Toon Link’s. However, his falling speed matches that of Link and has much better horizontal air mobility than Toon Link.

Info- Young Link Wields his one (two) handed Kokiri Sword from HW. He also wears the Kenato and Fierce Deity mask on his head and belt respectively.

Taunts -

Up taunt – Lon Lon Milk taunt from Melee. It has an added healing effect now. Heals 10%.

Side Taunt – Y.Link outs on the Kenato Mask and growls. He then takes of the mask and giggles.

Down Taunt - Y.Link quick pulls out the Ocarina of Time and plays the Song of Time.

Costumes

Default Green

Blue

Red

Purple

Gold

Dark Young Link or Black Tunic

Classic link (pink hair included) or Kaefi Alt,

Skull Kid (Keanto mask is replaced with Majora’s Mask)

A moves

AAA Combo – Young Link pulls of two horizontal slashes then a near vertical down slash

Rapid Jab- Y.Link turns into Fierce Deity and rapidly slash, with the finisher being a strong horizontal slash

Ftilt- Stabs forwards. Can be aimed up or down. ?

Utilt – Similar to Link’s ?

Dtilt –Similar to that of Marth’s/Lucina’s

Dash attack – Young Link runs then does a forward roll attack, similar to that of OoT and MM.

Fsmash – Does a full 360 flip and then slams the sword down in front of him. This is like a faster but weaker version of Ike’s Fsmash

Usmash- Stab his sword upwards while he is surrounded in light ?

Down Smash – Young Link turns his sword upside down and slams it into the ground, creating a small dome of light around Y.Link with decent coverage and launch power, similar to Ike’s eruption move. ?

Nair – His melee nair sex kick

Fair – As a small start up which then follow by Young Link spinning in a full circle. This move has a weak meteor box just when the sword passes bellow his feet.

Bair- Similar to Link’s Bair

Up Air – Similar to smash 4 Link’s Uair (animation wise)

Down Air – His Melee dair with more power fire hitbox (has meteor sound effect against every one at 0%)

Zair – Less start up and end lag than Link or Toon Link, but only does 3-4%

Grab - Has less start up and end lag than Link or Toon link’s, but has a shorter range

Pummel – Knees the opponent rapidly. 2% per hit.

Forward throw – Forward punt kick.

Back throw – Rolls onto his back and throws the opponent way then flips back onto his feet.

Down throw – Slams the opponent onto the ground, and then slams on top of them.

Up throw – Throws the opponent up into the air then pulls out his sword and slashes them

Specials

Neutral B – Beam Slash: Y.Link performs a horizontal slash, launching a beam a cross the screen which travels roughly the whole distance of Final Destination.

Side B – Boomerang: Much like smash 64 Link’s, though it comes out much faster and can be angled more but has a shorter range than Link or Toon Link’s and is meant more combos.

Up B- Spin attack: On the ground, Young Link holds the sword while it charges up, allowing him to move around while charging. The longer it’s charged, the more powerful and more range it has. In the air, it’s similar to Smash 64 Link’s Spin attack, though the move is always rising and doesn’t start falling halfway through the move.

Down B – Bombs – His bombs from Melee.

Final Smash – Fierce Deity Link: Puts on the Fierce Deity Mask, turning into Fierce Deity Link, improving all his stats. In other words, can destroy pretty much anything. Doesn’t flinch to any move that isn’t super strong (i.e Bowser fsmash, Ike’s Smash Attacks)

Special Ability – Special Bar: As Young Link attack his opponents, his special bar above his fighter sign starts to fill up. Once it’s full, if Young Link presses B, he performs a super powerful attack as Fierce Deity Link. Acts sort of like Lil Mac’s KO UpperCut.

Still has a bit of work to be done. Hope you guys like it :)

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
So I've seen a lot of ideas, but with Hyrule Warrior's gameplay of Young Link, and a few elements from Majora's Mask, I have a small idea for a special moveset, with all the standard attacks being the same as they are in Melee.

I've never liked the idea of vast transformations... But there's one exception I have in mind.
I made this for inspiration:

Why are his eyes like that?

To begin with, Young Link will have a Fierce Deity system inspired by Hyrule Warriors: As he deals damage, a magic meter, appearing in a similar location as Little Mac's KO Meter, will charge up.
Side Special - the classic boomering will have a buff, with a longer range, speed, and power,
Standard Special - with the buff of the boomerang, there'll be less of a need for a bow and arrow... Which will be replaced by something inspired by Hyrule Warriors. Young Link would play his Ocarina, and the amount of damage he's receive will boost his magic meter.
Up special - ain't nothin' different.
Down special - instead of an ordinary explosive, I'd like to see the powder keg appear, with similarities with to the Blast Box, but more volatile. Of course, I'm not much of a Young Link/Toon Link/Link main, so I'm no expert.

The shield will be moved to Link's bag, slightly more vulnerability. His Ocarina will be left in his right hand.

The first taunt will be milk, obviously, the second should be Young Link equipping the mask slapped onto the side of his head.

I would also like to see some variety with the costumes and palette swaps:
Green - has the Deku Mask,
Red - has the Goron Mask,
Blue - has the Zora Mask,
White - has the Mask of Truth,
Black - has the All-Nights Mask,
Purple, blue hair - has a blue scarf and a rabbit hat,
Dark Green, darker hair - no mask, Deku Shield and classic Kokiri Sword, inspired by Ocarina of Time,
Something involving the Gilded Sword and the sad Mirror shield

I'm mostly just brainstorming here, but I think these changes are subtle enough to satisfy old Young Link fans, while keeping him different from Toon Link.

While he's in Fierce Deity form, he would handle most moves easier, throwing the giant bombs easily, having greater range, his side special would switch to the ball and chain, which would function like a buffed boomerang. He would be harder to launch.

His Final Smash could be Chateau Romani, turning li'l Toon Link to Fierce Deity, using the sword beams ever so loved.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So I've seen a lot of ideas, but with Hyrule Warrior's gameplay of Young Link, and a few elements from Majora's Mask, I have a small idea for a special moveset, with all the standard attacks being the same as they are in Melee.

I've never liked the idea of vast transformations... But there's one exception I have in mind.
I made this for inspiration:

Why are his eyes like that?

To begin with, Young Link will have a Fierce Deity system inspired by Hyrule Warriors: As he deals damage, a magic meter, appearing in a similar location as Little Mac's KO Meter, will charge up.
Side Special - the classic boomering will have a buff, with a longer range, speed, and power,
Standard Special - with the buff of the boomerang, there'll be less of a need for a bow and arrow... Which will be replaced by something inspired by Hyrule Warriors. Young Link would play his Ocarina, and the amount of damage he's receive will boost his magic meter.
Up special - ain't nothin' different.
Down special - instead of an ordinary explosive, I'd like to see the powder keg appear, with similarities with to the Blast Box, but more volatile. Of course, I'm not much of a Young Link/Toon Link/Link main, so I'm no expert.

The shield will be moved to Link's bag, slightly more vulnerability. His Ocarina will be left in his right hand.

The first taunt will be milk, obviously, the second should be Young Link equipping the mask slapped onto the side of his head.

I would also like to see some variety with the costumes and palette swaps:
Green - has the Deku Mask,
Red - has the Goron Mask,
Blue - has the Zora Mask,
White - has the Mask of Truth,
Black - has the All-Nights Mask,
Purple, blue hair - has a blue scarf and a rabbit hat,
Dark Green, darker hair - no mask, Deku Shield and classic Kokiri Sword, inspired by Ocarina of Time,
Something involving the Gilded Sword and the sad Mirror shield

I'm mostly just brainstorming here, but I think these changes are subtle enough to satisfy old Young Link fans, while keeping him different from Toon Link.

While he's in Fierce Deity form, he would handle most moves easier, throwing the giant bombs easily, having greater range, his side special would switch to the ball and chain, which would function like a buffed boomerang. He would be harder to launch.

His Final Smash could be Chateau Romani, turning li'l Toon Link to Fierce Deity, using the sword beams ever so loved.
That is a pretty cool moveset though if I may suggest a few changes

Get rid of his shield all together and have Y.Link wield his two handed Kokiri Sword instead. Also, it may not be the best idea for Young Link to gain the chain and ball from his boomerang as Fierce Deity, due to the 3ds limitations. I do like the Ocarina idea, possible acting like the Manado arts if I am reading correctly.

All and all, not a bad moveset at all.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
That is a pretty cool moveset though if I may suggest a few changes

Get rid of his shield all together and have Y.Link wield his two handed Kokiri Sword instead. Also, it may not be the best idea for Young Link to gain the chain and ball from his boomerang as Fierce Deity, due to the 3ds limitations. I do like the Ocarina idea, possible acting like the Manado arts if I am reading correctly.

All and all, not a bad moveset at all.
Thank you! I didn't really think the whole ball and chain thing all the way through... It'd either look weird while Fierce Deity is attacking, or wouldn't allow him to attack while his ball and chain flies around.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's kinda odd how apparently only one person brought this up. Whereas some other dataminers apparently didn't find it.....

You might want to hold your hype in check until we are certain it is a genuine thing discovered, Blue.... ^^

Edit: Although the shading details make it look like it came from the 3DS version.... But the Trophy stand from the Wii U version....

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I support. Also that "datamined leak" is most likely fake.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, you might want to change the title... It's jumping the gun a bit, and you're only going to hurt your fellow Young Link fans if this "leak" ends up being fake.

Top Bottom