• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus(a.K.a Metroid Prime): We will consume everything.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The teaser of him confirming Norfair and Ridley's Boss Music, Kraid being benched in Melee as stage background, Samus being in Melee solo with no one from her games, and that cloudly thing that looks like Ridley is evidence enough that Sakurai has NO love for us Dark Hunter Mercernaries, let alone the whole entire Metroid series.

DS 4 Brawl!
You'd think after he gives us RIDLEY's stage, RIDLEY's music, the METROID assist trophy, he'd give us a
new Metroid rep, but NO......

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Retro has the assets in Texas!!

Nintendo does not have them in Redmond!

The only reason why the assets exist - the sole purpose - is to make more games, which are developed in Texas, not Redmond!

Sakurai has to go to Texas! If he doesn't go, someone involved in the development of SSBB has to go there. If they go to Redmond, they can get about no assets for the Metroid Prime series except for the Hunters game.
Question Why can't they call/email them "Hey guys, we wanted to put _____ in Brawl, is that okay? It is? Great. Could you send us a copy of the required files? Great, thanks." and have it shipped to them in Japan?

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
You'd think after he gives us RIDLEY's stage, RIDLEY's music, the METROID assist trophy, he'd give us a
new Metroid rep, but NO......
Keep your head up to the clouds Ismar, for we shall receive DS as a possible Christmas present.

Here's hoping Sakurai celebrates Christmas.....or we're in some serious phazon dung.

DS 4 SSBB!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Question Why can't they call/email them "Hey guys, we wanted to put _____ in Brawl, is that okay? It is? Great. Could you send us a copy of the required files? Great, thanks." and have it shipped to them in Japan?
Thank you, that's basically what we were trying to tell him, but he kept saying
"Nintendo doesn't have the assets!!"
Keep your head up to the clouds Ismar, for we shall receive DS as a possible Christmas present.

Here's hoping Sakurai celebrates Christmas.....or we're in some serious phazon dung.

DS 4 SSBB!
That'd be the BEST christmas present for us!!
...Hopefully it ain't "phazon dung"..(wouldn't be ironic he updates the Metroid AT on chrismas!:p)

Shuma

Smash Hero
I can already see Christmas update.

"Options, Part 2.

I know i already updated options, but i think i didn't fully explain them, so i'm going to try my best to do it this time"

"double update:

new character:

Mickey Mouse"

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I can already see Christmas update.

"Options, Part 2.

I know i already updated options, but i think i didn't fully explain them, so i'm going to try my best to do it this time"

"double update:

new character:

Mickey Mouse"
I'd rather Goofy for New Years :lol:

They could. It's simply far less likely that they would call up Retro than it is for them to call up R&D1.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Look man nintendo has proved they can get the assets from retro, they got the ship, varia suit, visor, scanning visor and the rest in the MPH game, and theyre all the same as they are in MP... so stop it...

Look man nintendo has proved they can get the assets from retro, they got the ship, varia suit, visor, scanning visor and the rest in the MPH game, and theyre all the same as they are in MP... so stop it...
They already have all the major assets to represent the Metroid series. The icon, the Screw Attack, Metroid, Samus, musical scores, various areas, Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, Space Pirate, etc. So that limits the chances that Sakurai would even need to ask for content from Metroid Prime.

If you disagree, then all I can say is you're in denial. The assets aren't located in Japan, they're located in America. And I don't think that anyone feels that Sakurai is just as likely to ask an American company for assets as they would be a Japanese company.

Stryks

Smash Hero
... so?

who brough back metroid from many years of abbcense? Prime saga did

Sakurai stated he wanted to better rep the series, cause it had becomed more popular in the years between melee and brawl, how did metroid became so popular? cause prime brought back the series...

I know its somewhat unlikely, but metroid prime IS getting some rep, phazon suit proves it...

... so?

who brough back metroid from many years of abbcense? Prime saga did

Sakurai stated he wanted to better rep the series, cause it had becomed more popular in the years between melee and brawl, how did metroid became so popular? cause prime brought back the series...

I know its somewhat unlikely, but metroid prime IS getting some rep, phazon suit proves it...
Metroid Prime was very unpopular in Japan, with the best-selling entry in the series selling as a phone more than as a game.

In all likely hood, the Phazon Suit was included with the assets for Samus, and if Sakurai does get the assets, I don't think he would end up picking such an unpopular-to-Japan character.

Stryks

Smash Hero
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE THIS IS A THREAD TO SUPPORT DARK SAMUS!

Now metroid prime may have not been popular, but they cant be ignored, they brought back metroid, and sakurai stated he wanted to better rep the series, how is just adding ridley and a transformation better repping?...

we may get a hunter or dark samus, but were getting something...

You make it sound like getting a second character is not that good for a series. You may be thinking "hey, why does Kirby get three reps and Metroid only two?" Well, because Metroid is a considerably smaller franchise, both back when they both first came out and today. This is especially true in Japan. So while I expect to see some new content, I certainly do not expect anything along the lines of Nintendo's top five franchises.

...Dude, every single Kirby game this and last generation except for one - Canvas Curse - has sold more than one million copies worldwide.

Kirby: Squeak Squad - 1.3 million
Kirby: Canvas Curse - 700k
Kirby Air Ride - 1.5 million
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land - 1.8 million
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - 1.7 million

You make it sound like some extremely unlikely thing. Kirby's existed for 15 years, and has had 18 games in its history. The series is extremely popular worldwide - that is, in all regions - and has had many games released through all generations.

Because the argument led to it. The basic rationale for including Dark Samus is that Metroid deserves three reps because Kirby got three reps, so I was explaining that Metroid and Kirby are definitely not on the same level of success, so the logic that Metroid warrants as many reps as Kirby is not true. It doesn't not deserve it, I wouldn't complain about it. But it doesn't deserve three reps because a much more pxopular series got three reps.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Because the argument led to it. The basic rationale for including Dark Samus is that Metroid deserves three reps because Kirby got three reps, so I was explaining that Metroid and Kirby are definitely not on the same level of success, so the logic that Metroid warrants as many reps as Kirby is not true. It doesn't not deserve it, I wouldn't complain about it. But it doesn't deserve three reps because a much more pxopular series got three reps.
Enough! This thread ain't about proving which series is more popular, and this doesn't prove that Metroid will
get 3 reps, it just shows it could happen! Besides, Metroid's grown more ppopular(Japan or not)over the years.

Look, it's not off-topic just because it's not about Metroid, it's related to the Metroid debate.

I was saying that Kirby got three reps because it warranted three reps, considering its success. While Metroid has grown more popular in America, it hasn't taken off in Europe and decreased in popularity for Japan.

AFAIC, there's several levels of success.

Mario/Pokémon - Top reps in SSB. Warrants the most reps.

Zelda/Donkey Kong/Kirby - Higher reps in SSB. Warrants one or two less than Mario/Pokémon.

And Metroid/Fire Emblem/Star Fox - Deserves a couple reps, maybe three for the top tiers of this level of franchises.

Zelda/DK/Kirby are in the 30-50 million range, Metroid/Fire Emblem/Star Fox are in the 10-20 million range, and Mario/Pokémon are in the 100-200 million range.

antimatter

Smash Lord
Snitch, you are annoying. i break what annoys me. dark samus will be in as some shape or form. we know that mp isnt that popular in japan. we dont care.

So this thread doesn't involve discussing the likelihood of a character, varying factors, etc., it just involves screaming praise for Dark Samus and dog piling on anyone who diverts from that path?

I think Sakurai cares about the fact that MP is not popular in Japan.

And no, Kirby got three reps because it's sold more than 30 million copies. If your logic stood, Sakurai would've had two reps in Melee for Kirby.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Look, it's not off-topic just because it's not about Metroid, it's related to the Metroid debate.

I was saying that Kirby got three reps because it warranted three reps, considering its success. While Metroid has grown more popular in America, it hasn't taken off in Europe and decreased in popularity for Japan.

AFAIC, there's several levels of success.

Mario/Pokémon - Top reps in SSB. Warrants the most reps.

Zelda/Donkey Kong/Kirby - Higher reps in SSB. Warrants one or two less than Mario/Pokémon.

And Metroid/Fire Emblem/Star Fox - Deserves a couple reps, maybe three for the top tiers of this level of franchises.

Zelda/DK/Kirby are in the 30-50 million range, Metroid/Fire Emblem/Star Fox are in the 10-20 million range, and Mario/Pokémon are in the 100-200 million range.
10 million? Its more than that, and Metroid prime is popular in Europe amd many other places.
except that kirby will always have more reps than metroid because SAKURAI is making the game.
Of course, I tried explaining that to him
Snitch, you are annoying. i break what annoys me. dark samus will be in as some shape or form. we know that mp isnt that popular in japan. we dont care.
I gotta agree, but only for that last comment..

1. I said 10-20 million, meaning that it falls anywhere in that range.

2. But that isn't true. Why would it only be true for the third installment, that Sakurai's "bias" is why three Kirby reps got in? The only truth that can be said about the Kirby series in this franchise is that it's successful enough to warrant the amount of representation it has gotten. Hell, Kirby: Squeak Squad sold one million copies in Japan alone.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Yeah, what this guy said. Sakurai said it himself, he's not going to appeal to those Smash Fan's in Japan. He's going to give us what we want too. Hopefully, it's good old Dark Samus.

Dark Samus 4 Brawl or else!

Jesus Christ. Shut up you stupid *** Dark Samus supporters.

He is posting good analysis of the amount of characters a franchise gets in relation to sales and saying Metroid may not be likely to get a third rep and your not even trying to defend Dark Samus your just saying "Sakurai dunts care!" or even more stupid **** like: "I will break you" seriously stop.

Machete

Smash Ace
Well, Zero Suit Samus is considered a newcomer, after all.

Ridley is a shoe-in.

Do you really think Metroid will get four characters?

It's very unlikely.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

He is posting good analysis of the amount of characters a franchise gets in relation to sales and saying Metroid may not be likely to get a third rep and your not even trying to defend Dark Samus your just saying "Sakurai dunts care!" or even more stupid **** like: "I will break you" seriously stop.
All right, stop arguing with snitch people, or at least provide a GOOD argument.

Ridley is a shoe-in.

It's very unlikely.
Well, Zamus is a transformation, so without Items(Smash balls), you can't use her...
Not really much of a rep, but it certainly is awesome, and 4 characters is possible, from any series..

Ridley is a shoe-in.

It's very unlikely.
Characters that turn into each other shouldn't count if size of representation really is an issue. So unless she ends up getting her own slot in the character selection screen, Metroid still only has one confirmed rep.

Four is actually a good number for a series that significant, but it's just that Metroid has so few worthy candidates.

Machete

Smash Ace
Well, Zamus is a transformation, so without Items(Smash balls), you can't use her...
Not really much of a rep, but it certainly is awesome, and 4 characters is possible, from any series..
Yeah, but both Zamus and Sheik are considered characters (not like Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur).

So Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ridley and Dark Samus are four characters... Metroid won't get four characters, I think.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986

I say a good 30 % of his argument is good, and the other 70% isn't doing it for me. Dark Samus has gave us life back into the series. Plus, she's the MAIN antagonist in all three Metroid Prime games. (techincally MP1 when she was just a big huge Metroid and haven't turned into DS yet.)

Japan does not by any means decide whether or not a character gets in or not, it's Sakurai. And I know good and well he's adding Dark Samus....so says my gut instinct.

DS for Brawl

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Yeah, but both Zamus and Sheik are considered characters (not like Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur).

So Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ridley and Dark Samus are four characters... Metroid won't get four characters, I think.
Think of it this way, Zamus is still Samus, just with a different move set, not really a new Rep..
So its 3 different reps, with DS and Ridley. And 4 reps ain't that far fetched, just unlikely..

Machete

Smash Ace
Dark Samus has potential for a unique moveset and relevance to his series (it's the most important character in Metroid after Samus, Ridley and Mother Brain).

But Japan hate it, and four reps (ok, ok, 3.5 reps) is a lot.

Hey, I'd like to see Dark Samus in Brawl, but in my opinion it's vey unlikely.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Dark Samus has potential for a unique moveset and relevance to his series (it's the most important character in Metroid after Samus, Ridley and Mother Brain).

But Japan hate it, and four reps (ok, ok, 3.5 reps) is a lot.

Hey, I'd like to see Dark Samus in Brawl, but in my opinion it's vey unlikely.
That much I agree on...:ohwell:

1. Metroid may be really good and really well-liked, but there is absolutely no way that it can get four reps, if that's what is being insinuated by Darkpaladin.

2. Just because Sakurai makes the decisions doesn't mean he won't try to focus on universal characters. Just because he doesn't want to be so focused on characters only known/liked in Japan doesn't mean he's necessarily going to pick someone in spite of them being only known outside of Japan.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
1. Metroid may be really good and really well-liked, but there is absolutely no way that it can get four reps, if that's what is being insinuated by Darkpaladin.

2. Just because Sakurai makes the decisions doesn't mean he won't try to focus on universal characters. Just because he doesn't want to be so focused on characters only known/liked in Japan doesn't mean he's necessarily going to pick someone in spite of them being only known outside of Japan.
1) Its not impossible for a series to have 4 reps..No way?? You sound like you think you're all knowing.

2) He won't not consider her just because Japan hates MP, and DS is known by Japan, even if they don't like her

1) Its not impossible for a series to have 4 reps..No way?? You sound like you think you're all knowing.

2) He won't not consider her just because Japan hates MP, and DS is known by Japan, even if they don't like her
1. ...Your statement is really, really confusing. I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

2. Please, stop with the double negatives. Dark Samus is known by a small number of GameCube/Wii owners, which Sakurai will consider.

Top Bottom