• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus(a.K.a Metroid Prime): We will consume everything.

antimatter

Smash Lord
as far as we can see. there might be something. if they got sonic, i think they can get retro stuff.

Just because they got something from Sega does not mean they're getting every single Nintendo developer.

They got assets from Sega for the reason that Sonic is an extremely popular third party - Sakurai's not necessarily going to go to Texasto get content when he can just get content from R&D1.

antimatter

Smash Lord
im not saying every singl... you know what? forget it. no one can give you their view point without you correcting them.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Retro is from nintendo, like bungie is from microsoft, what ever they do, its nintendo property, also they got the phazon suit in brawl, which means MP Material can get in...

Retro has the assets in Texas!!

Nintendo does not have them in Redmond!

The only reason why the assets exist - the sole purpose - is to make more games, which are developed in Texas, not Redmond!

Sakurai has to go to Texas! If he doesn't go, someone involved in the development of SSBB has to go there. If they go to Redmond, they can get about no assets for the Metroid Prime series except for the Hunters game.

And the Phazon Suit is a dark colored skin for her armor. At no point has it been implied that it is a Phazon Suit.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
But they have to get it from RETRO, not Nintendo.

Sakurai wouldn't go to the publisher to get them to get Retro to give him the stuff, he would go to Retro themselves if he wanted the content.

I mean, really, so far as we can see, nothing Metroid-related in SSBB has any Prime links - the music, the stage, the Assist Trophy, the character, the transformation are all from IS/R&D1 developed Metroids. Even her suit design is based on Zero Mission.
Retro is second party to Nintendo, not to mention the original Metroid was copyrighted by nintendo.

That does not change the fact that Nintendo does not have the assets!

Retro has every single asset for MP because they are the only ones who use them!

...Are you saying that Nintendo has the assets to MP?

Tell me - what would you do if you were Nintendo?

I'm sure you would decide to keep the assets in Redmond, instead of in Texas, even though you have no use for them?

Are you listening?! Number of times I said "Retro owns Metroid": ZERO.

They HAVE the assets at their studio. At no point does them having assets which only they use make the assets not Nintendo's.

I never once said that Sakurai can't get the assets from Retro, I'm saying they may not have. If they ask for Metroid assets from Nintendo, they won't get MP assets because Nintendo doesn't have them to give to Sakurai. He has to go to Retro to get the assets, because the assets are there!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Retro has the assets in Texas!!

Nintendo does not have them in Redmond!

The only reason why the assets exist - the sole purpose - is to make more games, which are developed in Texas, not Redmond!

Sakurai has to go to Texas! If he doesn't go, someone involved in the development of SSBB has to go there. If they go to Redmond, they can get about no assets for the Metroid Prime series except for the Hunters game.

And the Phazon Suit is a dark colored skin for her armor. At no point has it been implied that it is a Phazon Suit.
Wrong its not just dark colored, it uses the same combination of colors in the right places, just like marios yellow costume is the wario plumber look...

again metroid = 1st party game
retro doing prime serie = 2nd party
and since miyamoto decided that retro should make metroid prime a 1st person game (was 1st made as a 3rd party game) them sakurai can decide and asked retro to use the characters (or simply not, all metroid prime games beling to nintendo, developed by retro, thus sakurai can just ask nintendo for the use of dark samus...)

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
...Are you saying that Nintendo has the assets to MP?

Tell me - what would you do if you were Nintendo?

I'm sure you would decide to keep the assets in Redmond, instead of in Texas, even though you have no use for them?

Are you listening?! Number of times I said "Retro owns Metroid": ZERO.

They HAVE the assets at their studio. At no point does them having assets which only they use make the assets not Nintendo's.

I never once said that Sakurai can't get the assets from Retro, I'm saying they may not have. If they ask for Metroid assets from Nintendo, they won't get MP assets because Nintendo doesn't have them to give to Sakurai. He has to go to Retro to get the assets, because the assets are there!
Hmph, you must be forgetting about the Phazon Suit.

1. Um, okay? Nintendo still doesn't have the assets! If they don't have the assets, then they can't give them to Sakurai! So he would be wasting time! Is there a reason why you think Nintendo has things that they have literally no reason to have, since they do not develop the game?

2. Miyamoto supervised Metroid Prime, and of course, that is a total irrelevance. Miyamoto had control over its path, but at no point does that change who has control of the assets.

3. If it's a Phazon Suit, then so what? It's much simpler to get a skin for a character than an entire character. You do realize that assets are not just pictures, they're many many drawings, sketches, intricate design notes, discussing all of the abilities that the character can do? On top of this, I have to ask - why isn't Samus' suit based on her MP design?

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
1. Um, okay? Nintendo still doesn't have the assets! If they don't have the assets, then they can't give them to Sakurai! So he would be wasting time! Is there a reason why you think Nintendo has things that they have literally no reason to have, since they do not develop the game?

2. Miyamoto supervised Metroid Prime, and of course, that is a total irrelevance. Miyamoto had control over its path, but at no point does that change who has control of the assets.

3. If it's a Phazon Suit, then so what? It's much simpler to get a skin for a character than an entire character. You do realize that assets are not just pictures, they're many many drawings, sketches, intricate design notes, discussing all of the abilities that the character can do? On top of this, I have to ask - why isn't Samus' suit based on her MP design?
I'd like some proof of Nintendo not having the assets, instead of conjecture.

If he can control the path, why can't he control the assets?

...That's like asking why doesn't Mario have a Dr. Mario alt.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok give a source or anything PROVING nintendo doesnt have the assets right NOW, Retro could have made them, but do u really think nintendo never checked the drawings abilities and stuff like that? also notice something:

Nintendo made metroid prime hunters, not retro studios, and in the finale of MP3 u see sylux's ship, who is one of the characters in MPH, thus retro had to get the 'assets' from nintendo, WHY IN GODS GREEN EARTH DO YOU THINK IT CANT BE VICEVERSA?!

Aren't all Pokémon characters second-party? Sakurai certainly hasn't had any trouble getting them for the roster. There's no reason why he should have any trouble getting Dark Samus either.

1. So, just wondering, why is it that you keep ignoring everything I say? DID I ONCE SAY THAT RETRO WOULDN'T LET SAKURAI HAVE THE ASSETS?

2. I have to prove common sense? The people who develop the game are the ones who need the assets. If they aren't located at Nintendo's HQ, then the assets logically wouldn't be there. And the MPH reference? That's an asset that Nintendo has, which Retro can get. It's a big jump getting an asset from someone in another country.

3. Will you stop making this an argument of "can Sakurai get them?" The only one who's actually mentioned the idea that Sakurai couldn't get them is not me.

4. And, an added question, why did they use the Zero Mission model over the Prime model if they have assets from Retro?

Stryks

Smash Hero
... Dude seriously, thats stupid theyre using the MZM suit, why? because japan doesnt love the prime saga like they do with the side scrollers, also if retro can get the asset from nintendo, why cant nintendo get the asset from retro? by your logic retro went to another country to get the assets, so why cant nintendo go to another country and get the assets?

sersiouly dude for a game this big I doubt they'll care to jump a few small fences like: 'ZOMG ASETS IN OTHER CONTRI TOO F4R!!1!1'
also WTF ARE YOU HERE IS UR BASHING DARK SAMUS?!

Why would they go to Nintendo for something they don't have? Why not go to Retro?

Nintendo had Retro make a Metroid game - which means they had absolutely no choice BUT to give them the assets. Sakurai is much less likely to go to an American company for assets, especially when a Japanese company has assets for most Metroid things that he would need (levels, items, enemies, bosses, characters, assist trophies, etc.).

Retro is no more than owned by Nintendo, their base of operations is far out of the way from Nintendo. All Retro has to offer is assets of games not popular in Japan (Hell, the only reason MP Hunters broke 100k was because it was being used as a cell phone), so what incentive does Sakurai have to get assets from them?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Assets assets assets GIVE A FREAKING LINK WERE IT SAYS THAT NINTENDO DOESNT HAVE A COPY OR SOMETHING OR HAVE THE ASSETS THEMSELVES OF THE PRIME SAGA, SINCE THE PRIME SAGA IS OVER IT COULD BE THEY HAVE IT IN THEIR POSITION, SO NOW GIVE ME FREAKING PROOF...

and AGAIN if u dont like dark samus then GTFO of this thread!

Wow, great assumption! I asked a question which was never answered, and now you're mad that you are completely unable to beat me in debate, so you now say that I don't like Dark Samus because I don't expect her to be playable.

Why would Nintendo have something they don't use?

Also, they do not appear to use Retro's design for Samus in Metroid Prime Hunters. If they had the assets, then logically, they wouldn't have to modify Samus.

Stryks

Smash Hero
And the fact theyre using the morphball look, bomb, missile, the canon, visor, the scanning visor and so on doesnt count?

why would nintendo have something they dont use? IDK like the fact they dont use bowsers copter, donbe & hikari assets, kid icarus assets (they didnt use for years), Mach rider, and so on, where some of these were used as trophies in melee? fact is the prime saga is gone, keeping them for future uses if smart, and AGAIN I dont see any source of where nintendo has no assets of the prime saga...

AGAIN if u dont support then GTFO, wanted to prove ur point? well done, now are u a supporter? no then again WTF are u still here if u have made urself clear...

Those are assets that they have used. Why would they take assets they've never used and then never use them ever again?

And I dunno, perhaps I'm crazy for assuming that Nintendo wouldn't make a new design for Samus in MP Hunters if they already had an MP design for her.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok thats it:

MP2

MPH

MZM:

notice the bulk in the middle of her suit, and the diference on the helmet and visor while the ones above are the SAME?!

NINTENDO USED THE PRIME OUTFIT IN THE PORTABLE PRIME GAME!

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Ah man! Stryks is grilliing somebody and I missed just about a good portion of the heated argument. And I guess I learn something new everyday. I didn't know that if a company that associates themselves with Nintendo (like Retro Studios) that all of there characters are 2nd party. Darn...I hope this doesn't decrease some of her chance to get in Brawl.

Dark Samus for Brawl!

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
Ok thats it:

MP2

MPH

MZM:

notice the bulk in the middle of her suit, and the diference on the helmet and visor while the ones above are the SAME?!

NINTENDO USED THE PRIME OUTFIT IN THE PORTABLE PRIME GAME!
Indeed, the only difference is the black kneecaps in the Hunters compared to the point covering the knee piece in Echoes.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986

Stryks

Smash Hero
Thanx guys, remember when gypsy came along here looking for trouble a few days ago? im plannin to do that in my comic later on.... XD

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Congrats Nexus and D4RK_HUNT3R!!!

So Wu, what happened between Stryks and that Linksnitch guy?? Like 5 pages added since yesterday :psycho:

EDIT: added these 2 to the wiki :p

Point taken, but Nintendo's not used the Dark Samus assets. They took basic assets, such as Samus and her gunship.

Regardless, there's no purpose in taking the assets from Retro - it wouldn't be the first time that a developer supposedly ended a series of games.

All I've seen so far is that Sakurai wanted ideas for costumes and the ideal one is the Phazon Suit. However, while there exists a possibility that Sakurai's only not revealed the MP-related content, it seems awfully strange that so much content would be based on the original Metroids' content.

All I've seen so far is that Sakurai wanted ideas for costumes and the ideal one is the Phazon Suit. However, while there exists a possibility that Sakurai's only not revealed the MP-related content, it seems awfully strange that so much content would be based on the original Metroids' content.
I think that has more to do with a lack of Metroid related content in general.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I think that has more to do with a lack of Metroid related content in general.
The teaser of him confirming Norfair and Ridley's Boss Music, Kraid being benched in Melee as stage background, Samus being in Melee solo with no one from her games, and that cloudly thing that looks like Ridley is evidence enough that Sakurai has NO love for us Dark Hunter Mercernaries, let alone the whole entire Metroid series.

DS 4 Brawl!

Top Bottom