• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cut Veterans: Who do you think WON'T make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
My chopping block is:
- Jigglypuff (last minute roster padding keeps her safer than most on this list but still at risk)
- Wolf (uniqueness is a huge deal this time around but no one seems to be getting drastic moveset overhauls except for Bowser and Pit)
- Falco (see above)
- Lucas (see above)
- Nana (I doubt the Ice Climbers will get cut but 3DS limits might force Sakurai to turn the two characters into one character with the other as an alternate costume. Nana's AI is much more complex than Luma's.)
:jigglypuff: - Her return is pretty much guaranteed. If I were richer, I'd actually bet money on it.

:wolf: - He's gone. I agree entirely, and mourn the loss.

:falco: - Competitives will have a conniption fit if he's not in, so he'll get pushed through on popularity. Goodness knows I'd prefer Wolf though.

:lucas: - Ness's O12 status seals this kid's fate for me, I agree.

:popo: - Without Nana, there's no gimmick. Without the gimmick, there's no reason for them to be in. o.O If Popo's in, Nana's going to remain his sidekick.

I find no relation between customizable movesets and the possible (implausible) cut of Falco or Ness. Don't know why people bring it up when discussing about them; it provides no points against their inclusion.
I can see the logic. Falco(and by extension, Wolf) don't have any moves that Fox CAN'T do, so being able to tweak Fox to play exactly like Falco or Wolf would kind of render them redundant to the point of silliness. Ness and Lucas have that particular relationship as well.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I believe rather firmly in the 40-character limit, so I guess I should explain both why and who.

View attachment 15149

So, looks kinda limited(and it is, honestly, but thems the breaks). I guess I'll do the rundown of why these specifics are such. I could have probably scooted some things around a little better placement wise, but you get the gist.

Mario 5, Zelda 5, Pokemon 5. Nintendo's top three series as far as recognition and sales, and each would be represented equally(considering Yoshi and Wario are counted separately).

No Mewtwo? I believe Mewtwo had his time to shine and then he got pushed out by new talent. The only X-factor is his Mega Evolution, though with Greninja's reveal and Jigglypuff's very likely return(perfect attendance, mind you), I don't see Mewtwo making the cut unless he's a boss(which could work well with his Mega Evolution, either X or Y depending on various factors). Hate it all you like, but I think Mewtwo's officially playable status is dust in the wind.

Hey, you've got a Wolf icon in both your sig and your avatar, but he's absent from your roster? Let me clear this up right now. I like Wolf. I really do. He's a lot of fun for me to play and he's the only spacie that I play. That said, I consider Wolf to be one-and-done. He, like Mewtwo, had his time in the sun but I think he'll be put on a bus and shipped out somewhere. Either stage hazard, maybe a boss(fighting Star Wolf's Wolfen while atop the Great Fox or whatever), or only a trophy appearance. Now, common counter-arguments include "but Ike made it back, have hope for Wolf!" FE is a rising star and is also 'anime fantasy' which seems to have near-universal appeal. SF is an on-rails shooter whose most recent game is essentially a redo of the 64-era title, whose lack of popularity is further compounded by furry hate(see ANY Krystal thread). Falco gets in due to competitive popularity and tradition. Wolf has neither, so I don't see him returning.
Only X-factor is Mega evolution? How about being the most popular desired character to return overall, more so than Ridley? How about a signature move in generation 5? How about an animated four episode series that concludes with an epic (and popular) battle against him? How about a new movie featuring Mewtwo in a lead role? How about his considered inclusion in every game? How about his status as the only conceivable pseudo-villain for Pokemon? How about a moveset already being existent for him that only needs mild adjustments? How about being a post game legendary in X and Y? You don't have to support his return. but don't be so bold as to suggest that Mega Evolution is his only appeal. He's more relevant now than in Melee by a good amount.

And Hey. As a fellow Wolf main, have more faith in him.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Only X-factor is Mega evolution? How about being the most popular desired character to return overall, more so than Ridley? How about a signature move in generation 5? How about an animated four episode series that concludes with an epic (and popular) battle against him? How about a new movie featuring Mewtwo in a lead role? How about his considered inclusion in every game? How about his status as the only conceivable pseudo-villain for Pokemon? How about a moveset already being existent for him that only needs mild adjustments? How about being a post game legendary in X and Y? You don't have to support his return. but don't be so bold as to suggest that Mega Evolution is his only appeal. He's more relevant now than in Melee by a good amount.
Lucario didn't have any of that, and still made it in. And if Mewtwo makes it in, then that places the character select screen in an awkward state unless Jigglypuff were to be cut. Sakurai has a strong bias toward Jigglypuff(and she remains popular as well) so I really, really doubt that it's going anywhere. If Jiggs AND Mewtwo made it in, then you have the infamous character screen imbalance(Mario 5, Zelda 5, Pokemon 6) and it would look incredibly strange.

Also, being considered isn't the same as being completed. They may have intended to put him in at one point, but then for whatever reason, decided it wasn't worth the hassle and dummied out his data. This isn't to say that any other character took his slot, but rather to say the developers gave up on him. His moveset is unique, but his removal from Brawl set an ugly precedent that I do not think he'll be returning from. Besides, it makes a bit more sense for a character that IS as powerful as Mewtwo to be a Boss Hazard, with a different Mega Evolution depending on which console he's appearing on, does it not?

And Hey. As a fellow Wolf main, have more faith in him.
Nah, I think he's dead as disco. If I'm wrong, then I'll be surprised, but I just don't think the roster overall is large enough to support it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Some thoughts on this topic:

I find it very difficult to believe that any character other than Squirtle and Ivysaur will be cut from Smash 4 (with the exception of Snake). In my opinion, I believe that cutting any character that has appeared in Smash since 64 is very unlikely. I also believe cutting anyone who has appeared in both Melee and Brawl to also be very unlikely. Therefore the potential candidates for getting the ax for me right now are Wario, Meta Knight, Wolf, Lucas, R.O.B., Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake.

Right off the bat, I'm going to take a guess that Wario and Meta Knight are guarenteed to be in Smash 4 (Wario being the star of his own set of games and Meta Knight being a pretty iconic Kirby character.). I will also say that it is very doubtful that a franchise will have less reps than it did in Brawl. Therefore if Wolf or Lucas get cut, they will have to be replaced by another Star Fox or Mother/Earthbound character respectively. Now, I can see this as a possibility since I'm sure there are other characters in those franchises that fans would like to see instead but I don't think that'll be the case. Wolf is a pretty unique take on the Fox-like smasher and they now have the opportunity to set him apart even more, plus he does the job of being that series' villain rep for Smash (which I want to believe we'll get for other series *cough* DK, Metroid, Pokemon *cough*). Same can be said about Lucas. They are most likely keeping him and just changing him up a bit to make him more unique and since I am not that familiar with the Mother series I can't really tell you who else would be a better rep in his place. As for R.O.B., I don't see him being cut either mainly because of his similarities to G&W and now the Wii Fit Trainer when it comes to what he represents. On top of that, R.O.B. is very unique and we know uniqueness is everything (well technically so are time constraints *tear* Mewtwo *tear*). I can see them changing him up though (I don't use him that often so I can't tell you if he needs a change or not).

Since Pokemon Trainer is no more and they've added Greninja, I think there is no chance for Squirtle and Ivysaur. The only character I am on the fence about is Snake because he is a third party character and I just don't know where Sakurai stands on this. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being cut but it also shouldn't be surprising if he makes a return (I personally don't believe he will make the cut. I think they've dropped him for Mega Man and possibly another unannounced third-party character).

As for returning veterans from Melee, we have Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Mewtwo, and Roy. Discussing the first three is pointless and I will be very very very surprised to see them make it back in. It just isn't going to happen. Mewtwo, in my opinion, has the best shot to make a comeback. He was planned for both 64 and Brawl and plays the part of the Pokemon antagonist pretty well plus, if relevancy matters, he is slightly relevant again with Pokemon X/Y giving him two mega evolutions. As for Roy, I am doubtful. With the inclusion of both Marth and Ike and the lack of a Fire Emblem: Awakening rep, Roy's chances are now on the floor. If FE gets another rep, it will very likely be an Awakening rep and I doubt they'll throw in a fourth.
I suppose reading the post is too mainstream?
@ WritersBlah WritersBlah

Edit- Right off the bat, I'm going to take a guess that Wario and Meta Knight are guarenteed to be in Smash 4

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
As someone who doesn't have a huge amount of time to start up another JRPG (Already playing Star Ocean and Xenoblade), but knows the general gist of Mother 3, what exactly should I be looking for regarding Lucas coming back?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's funny, reading through the first few pages of this thread, to see just how wrong everyone was back then. So much for Toon Link, Lucario, and Ike being guaranteed cuts.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's funny, reading through the first few pages of this thread, to see just how wrong everyone was back then. So much for Toon Link, Lucario, and Ike being guaranteed cuts.
That's just the tip of the iceberg compared to the hilarity that will ensue looking back at these posts if Wolf and Snake make it back as well. At least for me.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Only a sith speaks in absolutes, or something.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Lucario didn't have any of that, and still made it in. And if Mewtwo makes it in, then that places the character select screen in an awkward state unless Jigglypuff were to be cut. Sakurai has a strong bias toward Jigglypuff(and she remains popular as well) so I really, really doubt that it's going anywhere. If Jiggs AND Mewtwo made it in, then you have the infamous character screen imbalance(Mario 5, Zelda 5, Pokemon 6) and it would look incredibly strange.

Also, being considered isn't the same as being completed. They may have intended to put him in at one point, but then for whatever reason, decided it wasn't worth the hassle and dummied out his data. This isn't to say that any other character took his slot, but rather to say the developers gave up on him. His moveset is unique, but his removal from Brawl set an ugly precedent that I do not think he'll be returning from. Besides, it makes a bit more sense for a character that IS as powerful as Mewtwo to be a Boss Hazard, with a different Mega Evolution depending on which console he's appearing on, does it not?

Nah, I think he's dead as disco. If I'm wrong, then I'll be surprised, but I just don't think the roster overall is large enough to support it.
He was more than considered. The only thing holding him back from 64 was technical limitations, and the only thing keeping him from Brawl (he was programmed on the disc), was Sonic's last minute inclusion causing time constraints. Not to mention, including Jiggs over Mewtwo, no matter how you look at it, is a major snub. No offense, but very few people like Jigglypuff, very few Nintendo/pokemon fans care about it, it stopped being relevant after the first season anime, and I've never met anyone who'd want Jiggs over Mewtwo irl. I know Sakurai likes it, but I honestly don't think its winning any favors recently, and ignoring the overwhelming support for Mewtwo and putting in the underwhelming character few people still use seems to be a poor PR decision. Just look how the Mewtwo thread is thriving while the Jigglypuff one is among the least populated.

That said, even if Jiggs gets in, why can't Mewtwo get in too? Cause' of roster imbalance? Whose to say Mario won't get another rep? And on top of that, Pokemon already had practically six reps in Brawl thanks to PT having three pokemon, so it was already two reps ahead of Mario even then. Mewtwo has been given all the tools to be included, and his chances are, in my view, the greatest of any character not confirmed so far besides obvious ones like Wario and Ganondorf.

Wolf has better chances than you think, if Ike, Lucario and TL are any indication. He's already unique, he's well-liked, has a very cool unique Smash design (that we've already seen re-envisioned on Fox), he's about the best damn candidate to rep Smash with Fox, and although I agree Falco is competitively popular, that's only cause' he's good, not cause' he's a badass or anything. If Sakurai includes him again and nerfs him to suck more, that entire point would be irrelevant. While Wolf could easily be buffed to top-tier material. Laser locks and short hop dairs are not enough to cement a fighter imo. Besides, Wolf just oozes personality in a game populated by otherwise silent-ish protagonists and grunting animals.

Last edited:

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
We lost 5 characters, (including 2 genuine, non-clone characters) between melee and brawl, so maybe we will lose around the same number between these titles

Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur I can say with little to no hesitation that they will be cut.

Of other Brawl veterans, the only characters I can see being potentially cut is Lucas and Wolf, although I doubt that both would be cut, but then again I could see both returning.

Ike however I probably would have thrown into the same boat as Wolf and Lucas (I am relieved in seeing that this wasn't the case)

So maybe 4 cuts in all with Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Wolf/Lucas

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
He was more than considered. The only thing holding him back from 64 was technical limitations, and the only thing keeping him from Brawl (he was programmed on the disc), was Sonic's last minute inclusion causing time constraints. Not to mention, including Jiggs over Mewtwo, no matter how you look at it, is a major snub. No offense, but very few people like Jigglypuff, very few Nintendo/pokemon fans care about it, it stopped being relevant after the first season anime, and I've never met anyone who'd want Jiggs over Mewtwo irl. I know Sakurai likes it, but I honestly don't think its winning any favors recently, and ignoring the overwhelming support for Mewtwo and putting in the underwhelming character few people still use seems to be a poor PR decision. Just look how the Mewtwo thread is thriving while the Jigglypuff one is among the least populated.
The same could be said for Ridley being a shoe-in at that point. While forum activity may be indicative of interest, it's by no means a metric to measure likelihood. Mewtwo's cut puts a big black mark on his resume, one that I just don't believe that he'll be recovering from.

That said, even if Jiggs gets in, why can't Mewtwo get in too? Cause' of roster imbalance? Whose to say Mario won't get another rep? And on top of that, Pokemon already had practically six reps in Brawl thanks to PT having three pokemon, so it was already two reps ahead of Mario even then. Mewtwo has been given all the tools to be included, and his chances are, in my view, the greatest of any character not confirmed so far besides obvious ones like Wario and Ganondorf.
The trick here is that on the character select screen, everything was nice and tidy. Pokemon had four character spots, Mario had four character spots, Zelda had four character spots. PT may have been considered three characters separately, but he only took up one spot. Mewtwo's tools of inclusion were already done in Melee, and it's unknown if the team is willing to go through with that again. He may have been unfinished due to time constraints, or perhaps the team just lost interest in him or decided he was too difficult or not worth including. If they did this when they were practically halfway done already, there's little to make me think that starting from scratch would make his apperance more likely.

Wolf has better chances than you think, if Ike, Lucario and TL are any indication. He's already unique, he's well-liked, has a very cool unique Smash design (that we've already seen re-envisioned on Fox), he's about the best damn candidate to rep Smash with Fox, and although I agree Falco is competitively popular, that's only cause' he's good, not cause' he's a badass or anything. If Sakurai includes him again and nerfs him to suck more, that entire point would be irrelevant. While Wolf could easily be buffed to top-tier material. Laser locks and short hop dairs are not enough to cement a fighter imo. Besides, Wolf just oozes personality in a game populated by otherwise silent-ish protagonists and grunting animals.
The community collectively rebelled against Brawl for Falco's nerfs(among other reasons), even going so far as to sponsor a hack of Brawl(Project M) to restore him to 'normalcy'. Considering Sakurai has evidently taken some notes from Project M(or just got lucky and happened to come up with similar ideas), I don't suspect Falco will be nearly as deficient in 4 as he was in Brawl(nor Falcon for that matter). Falco is commonly seen as top-tier material, and folk are upset when he's not. Wolf doesn't have that kind of push, regardless of the personality he brings. It's performance that ultimately matters in the end.

Speculator

Smash Ace
He was more than considered. The only thing holding him back from 64 was technical limitations, and the only thing keeping him from Brawl (he was programmed on the disc), was Sonic's last minute inclusion causing time constraints.
Where are you getting this information? This is conjecture, nothing more. We don't know the reason why any of the so-called 'forbidden seven' were kept out of Brawl. People like to throw around 'time constraints', but I've never seen anything that supports this position. I'm much more inclined to believe that Mewtwo and Roy and Dr. Mario and the rest were left out for some other perfectly legitimate reason, or were never even intended to be in the final product past the early alpha stages of development.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
The creators of Metal Gear Series asked Sakurai in a livestream to put Snake in. But I doubt that'd happen because I'm assuming it's more complicated than that to just include a character.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Where are you getting this information? This is conjecture, nothing more. We don't know the reason why any of the so-called 'forbidden seven' were kept out of Brawl. People like to throw around 'time constraints', but I've never seen anything that supports this position. I'm much more inclined to believe that Mewtwo and Roy and Dr. Mario and the rest were left out for some other perfectly legitimate reason, or were never even intended to be in the final product past the early alpha stages of development.
Honestly, I forget the exact source. No one knows why they were excluded, but Roy and Mewtwo specifically were slated to be in the game. They have beta models, victory music and voice clips on Brawl's disc. They were nearly done. But I do recall Sakurai stating that he made sacrifices to include Sonic because of his popularity. Sonic was added late in the game, and his inclusion is partially responsible for Brawl's continuous delays. I suppose it seems reasonable to believe that they wouldn't wanna push the game back anymore for the half-finished characters, and released it as is.

If you look on Ike and Lucario's smashwiki pages, it specifies that, although most people believe they were Roy/Mewtwo replacements, investigation of the game disc reveals they were planned to co-exist.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Looking back at the first few pages, I'm surprised how many people thought Ike was getting cut; I was expecting him.

Other than Ivysaur and Squirtle, (my condolences to their fans) the only characters I see in danger are clones and semi clones due to custom movesets and emphasis on uniqueness, but with Toon Link, not too much. I've changed my bet on Snake, remembering how Kojima works, it could be a little joke to get Snake fans worried over nothing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually Sakurai did state in an interview in one of the issues with ONM that he had to trim down many concepts in the game in order to keep things practical within the time constraints and that he stated that he had more characters but removed due to this as an example.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The creators of Metal Gear Series asked Sakurai in a livestream to put Snake in. But I doubt that'd happen because I'm assuming it's more complicated than that to just include a character.
First off, this is worded wrong to hell and back. Kojima the creator of metal gear was asked if snake was going to return to smash bros by the host of the livestream in response to a fan question, he said he wasnt working on that game, but he clearly was open to it and asked sakurai if he was listening if he would add snake again.

It's hard to really take any of what he said at face value since, well its kojima and he wouldnt be able to say yes or no regardless.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
No one knows why they were excluded, but Roy and Mewtwo specifically were slated to be in the game. They have beta models, victory music and voice clips on Brawl's disc. They were nearly done.
That's not 'nearly done'. All that's left of the characters is scraps of data. I think the beta models you're referring to extend as far as an unfinished, untextured mesh of what is assumed to be Mewtwo's tail. No actual victory music has been recovered and the couple of available voice clips for Mewtwo are identical to his clips from Melee.

This is exactly what you'd expect to find if certain chunks of data were imported from Melee and then later messily cut out again to save disk space. It doesn't imply any intention for them to be included in the final product.

But I do recall Sakurai stating that he made sacrifices to include Sonic because of his popularity. Sonic was added late in the game, and his inclusion is partially responsible for Brawl's continuous delays. I suppose it seems reasonable to believe that they wouldn't wanna push the game back anymore for the half-finished characters, and released it as is.
Actually Sakurai did state in an interview in one of the issues with ONM that he had to trim down many concepts in the game in order to keep things practical within the time constraints and that he stated that he had more characters but removed due to this as an example.
I remember the interview you're referring to. Sakurai didn't actually mention anything about last-minute changes or the inclusion of Sonic causing characters to be dropped. He was discussing the preliminary planning and testing stages. This is how game design works; the development cycle is planned out extensively in advance before intense production takes place. They can't afford to make things up and add characters as they go along. The first eighteen months of development entailed deciding exactly which ideas to include and how to allocate their development time. It's during this period that any characters under consideration that didn't make it into the final game were dropped, not at any point where they were "nearly done".

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm aware of that. What I was trying to say was that he did initially plan to include more characters but due to time constraints he had to trim it down and limit it to what he could add between the deadline. Only Dixie Kong was mentioned to be planned as a tag team with Diddy Kong initially if I recall correctly. Sonic was also a character not initially planned for the Brawl roster so things had to change around for his inclusion, so a number of characters had to have their inclusion delayed in order for work to be spend on him which lead to a number of characters winding up not making it in.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Since E3 is near, and we have most of the roster now, I'll just go with what I thought would happen.
From most likely to least likely:
Snake - I'm not sure if the Magic of Friendship can bring him back again. I was surprised that friendship got him into the game in the first place.
Ike - Didn't see that coming, prehaps Roy will return as well. I was expecting Ike To be replaced with a newer Fire Emblem character. Glad he's back
Ice Climbers - I loved the Ice Climber game as a kid, but their inclusion baffles me. I felt like I was the only one who know about them before melee.
Lucas - I only hear about Earthbound games from people that are usually a combo of major Nintendo fans, and Indie game lovers. So I'm not really sure about the popularity of this game. Even then, Lucas seems like just another version of the character you play as. With that said I prefer lucas over Ness.
Lucario - There's a lot of pokemon, I was expecting him to be replaced by someone. Like Greninja for example, but I didn't expect Greninja
Pokemon Trainer - 3 characters to make. Glad we got Charizard back though.
Wolf O'Donnell - I'm starting to get really worried about him now. I don't want to go back to playing Fox, Wolf's gameplay is just more interesting and I like the character more.
Toon Link - With how popular Wind Waker has been, and how Toon Link pretty much represents the 2D games now, I wasn't surprised he came back. Though I still did worry a little bit at the start.
Jigglypuff - I dislike her, and find her boring, and there's more pokemon that were liked more while being more important to her at the time n64 came out. I really think she only gets into the games because she was easy to program in N64, and because she's protected from being the original 12 smashers. She's the only character that I wish was gone. If she comes back, I hope she at least has a moveset that's fun to watch.
Captain Falcon - I hate to see this guy go, but he might not return this round. F-zero doesn't seem to ever make games anymore. I will always view him as a smash character.

I apologize for not reading the rest of the thread first, busy, and just wanted to say my opinion. :bubblebobble:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Captain Falcon - I hate to see this guy go, but he might not return this round. F-zero doesn't seem to ever make games anymore. I will always view him as a smash character.
Captain Falcon has already been mentioned by Sakurai in an interview

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as :4lucario::4tlink: and :4myfriends: are in the game, I am fairly confident there will be no cuts beyond :squirtle: and :ivysaur:, and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see them back either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom