• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concerning the Issue of Characters Not Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You know what I find strange?
Everyone finds R.O.B. "Heavy"
...I consider him pretty floaty.
He's like Samus, a Floaty-Heavyweight.
Plus, I love his recovery, just sitting there just floating in place JUST out of harm's reach, then bait them to jump at you, float above their heads then METEOR SMASH 'IM DOWN!
...Then fly back to safety all like "Yeh, I did that. =w="

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree with most of this, except for two things:
1. swap Ice Climbers for Meta Knight.
2. One Star Fox Rep and One Earthbound Rep are going to be cut. It's only a matter of whom.
I thought this at one point, but I just don't see the logic anymore.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it,

Not coming back:
:snake::squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::roymelee:

Alternative costume:
:drmario:

Unsure:
:falco::wolf::jigglypuff::mewtwomelee::lucas:

Almost certain:
:ganondorf::popo::metaknight::gw::ness2::rob::warioc:

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Absolutely Returning:
:falco::jigglypuff::ness2::ganondorf:

Jigglypuff and Ness are from the original twelve smash characters, and therefore will not be removed from this game, I can basically guarantee it based on that fact. Falco is going to be making a return, likely with a moveset closer to Brawl than Melee once again with the way that his shine works and whatnot, but not going into free fall after using his side b? Hey, welcome to the recovery field, Falco. Basically, he's been in two games now, and on top of that, he's been a fan favorite. Ganondorf is the main antagonist in LoZ, so I think it would be silly of them to remove him as a character especially since he's also a fan favorite. Think of it this way, if people are hoping for Ghirahim and whatnot, then good luck getting him without Ganondorf in there first.

Probably Returning:
:gw::metaknight::rob::warioc::popo::wolf:

Game&Watch as well as Ice Climers have been in two of the three smash games so far. Game&Watch is just a hilarious character to me, and I think he's going to be coming back since Nintendo seems to be compiling all of their retro characters in one game, meaning that R.O.B. is probably going to be making a comeback as well. I feel like Sakurai wasn't just thinking of Mega Man, Sonic, and Mario when he was making Pac-Man playable. He wants to see a match between Game&Watch, Pac-Man, R.O.B., and Ice Climbers, a whole bunch of really retro characters.

Meta Knight is probably going to be coming back as well since he is the main...well, what exactly do you call him? Sometimes he's the main villain, other times, he ends up helping you through it all and pretending he's doing it because he has to. Nevertheless, that's besides the point. He's a staple character, much like King Dedede, so I think him and his sword are coming back.

Wolf O'Donnell is probably going back. I still think that Nintendo has no intention of cutting villains from the cast, and Wolf was so cool to me when I saw him as a playable character in brawl. He played kind of like the other spacies, but he was also unique. I thought he was cool, even if he was a clone, so whatever.

Wario is the best. That's enough said, really. He's the most hilarious character in the game in my opinion, especially when the Wario Waft is fully charged. Who else would be so hilarious? But anyways, once again, why would Nintendo cut the villains from the game? I mean, Wario is like the Jesse/James/Meowth of the Mario realm. He's not the worst villain, just the slapstick kind of guy and weird and just kind of shows up when you don't want him to. I think he's in, but who knows, I suppose.

Not Sure:
:lucas:

Lucas I'm not so sure about. He's probably in, I would think so at the very least. The only reason I put him down here in this section of "Not Sure" is because I don't know his series as well as I know the other series of Smash. I don't know how much of a staple character he is or how much he did in his games. I'll be honest, Earthbound and Mother never grabbed my attention as a kid, so I can't really vouch for him.

Probably Not, But I Guess:
:mewtwomelee:

In honesty, I wanted to throw him down in the section below this one. Mewtwo I honestly see not coming back. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was, but really don't think so. We have Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Charizard. I don't think another character is due in my opinion, especially one that was cut out for a game. Sorry Mewtwo fans, but I am not at all with you on this one.

Not Happening:
:snake::squirtle::ivysaur::younglinkmelee::roymelee::pichumelee:

Alright, so the pokemon, you already know why they aren't coming back. We don't need all of them. We already have a water type, so go away Squirtle, and we already have Pikachu, so bye bye Pichu. I don't think this game can handle any more Pokemon for this round. Maybe the next one, because people get really hype about pokemon. If they add something, it sure as hell won't be Ivysaur. Bye.

Snake is a Konami character. Konami funded and helped with the last game. Konami is not funding or helping with this game. Ergo, Snake is probably not going to be returning. Hell, even Konami said that he probably won't be coming back. I don't see why he should, since their company has no faith in it.

Roy. While you are our boy, you cannot come back into this game. We have four Fire Emblem Characters. That's DOUBLING the amount we had the first and second go around. It just wasn't popular back then. But Awakening was such a huge hit in the Western Hemisphere and whatnot that they added two characters from it. One of which is a direct clone with different hitbox data. Roy was a clone with different hitbox data. Bye Roy, sorry to see you stay gone.

Young Link. Do I even have to defend you? Is there anything I can say to make people believe you SHOULD be in the game? You were replaced. That is it, really simple. You were replaced by Toon Link, and I like him more anyways, if only because of my bias and how much I love Wind Waker. See ya...still.

Alts:
:ganondorfmelee::drmario:

I would love to see an alternate costume for Ganondorf that was Ocarina of time Ganon. I think it is possible too, especially with the Little Mac shoutouts to the retro look of wireframe. I think it would be a really cool look and something that people wouldn't hate on at all. I love the retro shoutouts in games, so this is totally welcome.

Dr. Mario or Dr. Luigi would be totally cool as well. I'm not saying that it's probable, I'm just saying that I would like it. Whatever, this section isn't even speculation, it's just personal desire, haha.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Absolutely Returning:
:falco::jigglypuff::ness2::ganondorf:

Jigglypuff and Ness are from the original twelve smash characters, and therefore will not be removed from this game, I can basically guarantee it based on that fact. Falco is going to be making a return, likely with a moveset closer to Brawl than Melee once again with the way that his shine works and whatnot, but not going into free fall after using his side b? Hey, welcome to the recovery field, Falco. Basically, he's been in two games now, and on top of that, he's been a fan favorite. Ganondorf is the main antagonist in LoZ, so I think it would be silly of them to remove him as a character especially since he's also a fan favorite. Think of it this way, if people are hoping for Ghirahim and whatnot, then good luck getting him without Ganondorf in there first.

Probably Returning:
:gw::metaknight::rob::warioc::popo::wolf:

Game&Watch as well as Ice Climers have been in two of the three smash games so far. Game&Watch is just a hilarious character to me, and I think he's going to be coming back since Nintendo seems to be compiling all of their retro characters in one game, meaning that R.O.B. is probably going to be making a comeback as well. I feel like Sakurai wasn't just thinking of Mega Man, Sonic, and Mario when he was making Pac-Man playable. He wants to see a match between Game&Watch, Pac-Man, R.O.B., and Ice Climbers, a whole bunch of really retro characters.

Meta Knight is probably going to be coming back as well since he is the main...well, what exactly do you call him? Sometimes he's the main villain, other times, he ends up helping you through it all and pretending he's doing it because he has to. Nevertheless, that's besides the point. He's a staple character, much like King Dedede, so I think him and his sword are coming back.

Wolf O'Donnell is probably going back. I still think that Nintendo has no intention of cutting villains from the cast, and Wolf was so cool to me when I saw him as a playable character in brawl. He played kind of like the other spacies, but he was also unique. I thought he was cool, even if he was a clone, so whatever.

Wario is the best. That's enough said, really. He's the most hilarious character in the game in my opinion, especially when the Wario Waft is fully charged. Who else would be so hilarious? But anyways, once again, why would Nintendo cut the villains from the game? I mean, Wario is like the Jesse/James/Meowth of the Mario realm. He's not the worst villain, just the slapstick kind of guy and weird and just kind of shows up when you don't want him to. I think he's in, but who knows, I suppose.

Not Sure:

Lucas I'm not so sure about. He's probably in, I would think so at the very least. The only reason I put him down here in this section of "Not Sure" is because I don't know his series as well as I know the other series of Smash. I don't know how much of a staple character he is or how much he did in his games. I'll be honest, Earthbound and Mother never grabbed my attention as a kid, so I can't really vouch for him.

Probably Not, But I Guess:
:mewtwomelee:

In honesty, I wanted to throw him down in the section below this one. Mewtwo I honestly see not coming back. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was, but really don't think so. We have Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Charizard. I don't think another character is due in my opinion, especially one that was cut out for a game. Sorry Mewtwo fans, but I am not at all with you on this one.

Not Happening:
:snake::squirtle::ivysaur::younglinkmelee::roymelee::pichumelee:

Alright, so the pokemon, you already know why they aren't coming back. We don't need all of them. We already have a water type, so go away Squirtle, and we already have Pikachu, so bye bye Pichu. I don't think this game can handle any more Pokemon for this round. Maybe the next one, because people get really hype about pokemon. If they add something, it sure as hell won't be Ivysaur. Bye.

Snake is a Konami character. Konami funded and helped with the last game. Konami is not funding or helping with this game. Ergo, Snake is probably not going to be returning. Hell, even Konami said that he probably won't be coming back. I don't see why he should, since their company has no faith in it.

Roy. While you are our boy, you cannot come back into this game. We have four Fire Emblem Characters. That's DOUBLING the amount we had the first and second go around. It just wasn't popular back then. But Awakening was such a huge hit in the Western Hemisphere and whatnot that they added two characters from it. One of which is a direct clone with different hitbox data. Roy was a clone with different hitbox data. Bye Roy, sorry to see you stay gone.

Young Link. Do I even have to defend you? Is there anything I can say to make people believe you SHOULD be in the game? You were replaced. That is it, really simple. You were replaced by Toon Link, and I like him more anyways, if only because of my bias and how much I love Wind Waker. See ya...still.

Alts:
:ganondorfmelee::drmario:

I would love to see an alternate costume for Ganondorf that was Ocarina of time Ganon. I think it is possible too, especially with the Little Mac shoutouts to the retro look of wireframe. I think it would be a really cool look and something that people wouldn't hate on at all. I love the retro shoutouts in games, so this is totally welcome.

Dr. Mario or Dr. Luigi would be totally cool as well. I'm not saying that it's probable, I'm just saying that I would like it. Whatever, this section isn't even speculation, it's just personal desire, haha.
You put :falco: on the highest tier of likelihood.

You and I will get along just fine.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
At this point every veteran from Brawl except :ivysaur:, :squirtle:, and maybe :snake: are returning. I also rate :mewtwopm:'s chances as more likely that not as I'm completely convinced that Sakurai doesn't give a **** about overrepping a series given 4 FE reps.

:snake: I'm a bit iffy on but I'm waiting until the August Direct before I write him off.

Pokemon-master

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fadi
3DS FC
0791-2291-3156
The way I see it,

Not coming back:

Alternative costume:

Unsure:

Almost certain:
yea i agree with all of these but i think wolf may be an alternate fox costume with the whole planning to remove clones and i am certain that Jigglypuff will come back she has been in since the 64 and i think they are planning not to remove anyone from the original group and i also think they may remove rob i don't know why i just am getting a feeling that he may not come back

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
The way I see it,

Not coming back:

Alternative costume:

Unsure:

Almost certain:
>Squirtle/Ivysaur, and the Melee clones not coming back
>Uncertain about which Star Fox character is getting in
>Mr. G&W, Wario, Ganondorf and Meta Knight are in
>Lucas uncertain

This is almost my speculation in verbatim. Only thing I'd change is place Snake, Ice Climbers and R.O.B. to Uncertain and add a footnote describing that one Star Fox character will be cut, and the other might get in.

Morbi

Scavenger
>Squirtle/Ivysaur, and the Melee clones not coming back
>Uncertain about which Star Fox character is getting in
>Mr. G&W, Wario, Ganondorf and Meta Knight are in
>Lucas uncertain

This is almost my speculation in verbatim. Only thing I'd change is place Snake, Ice Climbers and R.O.B. to Uncertain and add a footnote describing that one Star Fox character will be cut, and the other might get in.
The other "might" get in?! I highly doubt either will be cut, but both?

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Not Sure:

He's the main character of the third game, making him every bit as important in the context of his own franchise as Ness (who only appears as the main character of the second game). It's kind of weird that you were willing to write that essay without Googling the gaps in your knowledge but at least you weren't like "Mother is getting cut from the franchise because I've never played it," like most people so six points.

D

Deleted member

Its seems nonsensical that either of the MOTHER kids would be on the chopping block, but especially Ness. He has seniority, Earthbound was recently re-released on the virtual console to great fanfare, and a lot of people like him. I won't get into Lucas because when I do I usually get yelled at, but keeping Lucas while Ness gets cut just seems odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
He's the main character of the third game, making him every bit as important in the context of his own franchise as Ness (who only appears as the main character of the second game). It's kind of weird that you were willing to write that essay without Googling the gaps in your knowledge but at least you weren't like "Mother is getting cut from the franchise because I've never played it," like most people so six points.
Thing is, Mother 3 didn't come out outside of Japan. EarthBound did.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
My "Confirmation" Thingy (Divided by tiers, not specific order)
S (100%): :warioc::ness2:
A (90-99%): :jigglypuff::popo::gw:
B (75-89%): :metaknight::ganondorf::falco:
C (50-74%): :lucas::rob::wolf::mewtwopm:
X (0-49%): :pt::ivysaur::squirtle::snake::roypm::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::drmario:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
From what I can tell and have read from this thread:

Nigh-Confirmed: :gw::ganondorf::warioc:(Either Earthbound Rep, Probably Ness):substitute:
(Former two have been teased, latter two have items/assist trophies from their franchise)
"Not having them would be a fiasco"

Probable: :metaknight::jigglypuff:(Either unconfirmed Star Fox Rep)
(Makes plenty of sense made given the various patterns displayed over the last three games, however have not been confirmed or teased yet)
"The game won't be as fun without them"

Likely: :popo::rob:(Other Earthbound Rep, Probably Lucas)
(Not exactly the most beloved characters in the roster, but there isn't evidence )
"They will be missed, but we'll be okay"

Possible: :snake::mewtwopm:
(All depends on if Sakurai feels like putting them in)
"We can only cross our fingers and hope for the best"

Shut Down: :pt::ivysaur::squirtle::roymelee::drmario::pichumelee:(Other Unconfirmed Star Fox character)
(Putting them in the game over Newcomers would violate common sense)
"Having them in the game is a bad idea."

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
From what I can tell and have read from this thread:

Nigh-Confirmed: :gw::ganondorf::warioc:(Either Earthbound Rep, Probably Ness):substitute:
(Former two have been teased, latter two have items/assist trophies from their franchise)
"Not having them would be a fiasco"

Probable: :metaknight::jigglypuff:(Either unconfirmed Star Fox Rep)
(Makes plenty of sense made given the various patterns displayed over the last three games, however have not been confirmed or teased yet)
"The game won't be as fun without them"

Likely: :popo::rob:(Other Earthbound Rep, Probably Lucas)
(Not exactly the most beloved characters in the roster, but there isn't evidence )
"They will be missed, but we'll be okay"

Possible: :snake::mewtwopm:
(All depends on if Sakurai feels like putting them in)
"We can only cross our fingers and hope for the best"

Shut Down: :pt::ivysaur::squirtle::roymelee::drmario::pichumelee:(Other Unconfirmed Star Fox character)
(Putting them in the game over Newcomers would violate common sense)
"Having them in the game is a bad idea."
Is that your opinion or what you gather from the thread?

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, Mother 3 didn't come out outside of Japan. EarthBound did.
I know that. But the post I quoted said that Lucas might not be likely because the poster didn't know who Lucas was or what role he played in the series. Hence the phrase "within the context of his franchise."

Some other guy said:
but keeping Lucas while Ness gets cut just seems odd.
That's...definitely not what I was saying at all.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
With the way the roster has gone. We've got Lucina, an outright clone of Marth, and Sakurai saying that he won't be cutting characters if he can help it (paraphrasing here but that's basically what he said). I'm fairly certain that all Nintendo characters from Brawl are fairly safe.

The only character from Brawl that's in the danger zone, IMO is Snake. And that's due to his potential licensing issues.

People keep saying that Squirtle and Ivysaur are "confirmed cut" or "definitely gone", but I'm yet to see any evidence to suggest that. If anything, Sakurai's official quote regarding transformation characters is that ""All characters who used to change forms mid match, will no longer change". Not "some", not "the". "All".

I think it's just become one of those things that people believe for not really any reason (Like Chrom being confirmed, Diddy/Dixie combo, Lucario being cut, Toon Link being cut, ZSS being cut, Gen 6 trainer etc etc). We have Toon Link, ZSS, Sheik and Lucina. What makes people think that Sakurai will be cutting 2 popular, iconic and unique popular Pokemon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom